Profile for Ms. S. Hurrell > Reviews

Content by Ms. S. Hurrell

Ms. S. Hurrell "shurrell" (UK)

The Official DSA Complete Theory Test Kit 2008/09 Edition
The Official DSA Complete Theory Test Kit 2008/09 Edition
Offered by Games Heaven

3.0 out of 5 stars Hazard Perception Disc Inadequate, 12 Mar. 2009
It was rather disapponting that there was a huge difference between the usefulness of the two discs.

The Theory Test CD-ROM did exactly what it said on the tin and really did cover every question that I was asked. The format is definitely conducive to learning and after seeing each question once or twice it is easy to achieve above the pass mark on the practice tests provided. Having used the disc I went on to pass this part of my theory test with full marks.

The Hazard Perception disc was, in contrast, severely lacking. There were only ten clips with which to practice - not enough to get a full idea of when to click and how to score the highest points. If I had only used this software before going into my theory test I would not have been so confident of a pass. Therefore I bought the Hazard Perception Driving Test Success DVD-ROM which I couldn't recommend highly enough if you are not fully sure of what to expect. Not only does it offer more clips (400 as opposed to 10!) it also reviews each clip demonstrating the boundary between scoring 1 and 5 on each clip. I went on to pass the Hazard Perception section with a score of 65/75.

If I had known the difference between the usefulness of the discs before my purchase I would have bought the DVLA Theory Test disc only (rather than the pack) along with the Driving Test Success Hazard Perception DVD-ROM.

The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD]
The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD]
by Driving Standards Agency
Edition: DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy alternative software instead!, 12 Mar. 2009
I bought this DVD as part of the official DSA learner pack which also included the theory test CD-ROM and the Prepare for the Practical Test DVD.

To be honest I was disappointed with the Hazard Perception DVD as it only had ten clips on which to practice (which was not enough to really get the hang of when to click to spot the hazard). Nor did it review the clips afterwards to show you where you would click to get the maximum points. I would not have been confident going into my theory test without additional software.

Instead I bought the Driving Test Success Hazard Perception which had 400 video clips (of which I probably used about 150 in my preparation) and properly reviewed each clip afterwards showing you where the boundary lay between getting a 5 and a 1.

I went on to pass the hazard perception part of the test with a score of 65/75 - one which not have been so high if I had only used the DVD above!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2011 11:05 PM GMT