Profile for J. Mills > Reviews

J. Mills "_millzy_"

Fellowes Virashield Surface and Screen Cleaning Wipes, 2 Tubs, 2213501
Fellowes Virashield Surface and Screen Cleaning Wipes, 2 Tubs, 2213501

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cleaners, 10 Feb. 2010
I've been primarily using this for my keyboards where bacteria is a concern and laptop screen but usage is limitless. The general surface cleaner is great for places where smearing is not important. Thus the screen cleaner is the opposite. There isn't much to be said it cleans great, doesn't leave residue or smell and is anti-bacterial to boot.

Lens Cleaning Kit (Wii)
Lens Cleaning Kit (Wii)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly as it says, 10 Feb. 2010
I ordered this as a pre-emptive counter to the all too common brawl problem. It arrived about a week later from a marketplace seller, this is a genuine Nintendo Product and is packaged in a way similar to the Wii itself. This contains a plate, cleaning fluid, instructions and spare cleaning pads (approx 6 if I remember right). As you may have guessed with the provided and spare cleaning pads you should get at least 7 uses out of this kit with more depending on how dirty your lens is. The instructions are clear and even better its hard to go wrong, because you should feel resistance before making mistakes. Cleaning is done manually but it is very effective; my first pad was surprisingly dirty and needed replacing immediately, the second pad was ok so I've kept it on for future use.

Works great and is well designed, I wish I could say more about brawl, thanks for reading.

Metroid Prime: Trilogy (Wii)
Metroid Prime: Trilogy (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value pack I've purchased, 13 Dec. 2009
As the title says you don't get much more for the price. The Metroid games are regarded as one of the best shooters ever now I don't usually cite metacritic but check out the scores, they are ALL consistent so there must be some truth - can that word be used for opinion - to it.

Anyhow this is all the metroid prime games on the console in one pack. The menus bonuses and stuff have been appropriately reworked. There have been a few enhancements like widescreen (480p) and some better loading time and higher resolution textures for the 2 gamecube games. One area that is lacking is the effects on some of the weapons. The animation on the weapons such as freezing on the ice beam (prime 1) are missing. Retro studios responded with something along the lines that it was a flat animation which can no longer be applied since the arm canon can now free aim (if you think back to the GC version it was always centred on your aim). Fair enough but for a re-work why not redo the animation accordingly.

Anyway a small gripe for what could be considered one of the best gaming packs around. If you didn't get a chance to play/purchase these games now is the time.

Roccat Apuri Active USB-Hub with Mouse Bungee
Roccat Apuri Active USB-Hub with Mouse Bungee

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey., 13 Dec. 2009
Amazon needs to manage their stock a bit better. I got the European 2 pin version twice and decided to just use a converter. This works pretty well for gaming or any other application that locks the mouse cursor. It can be annoying when the cable itself becomes the obstruction but this sorts that problem out. I needed a USB hub too since I installed a card reader and made my front USB ports useless. So this device came in handy as it worked out to be a 2 in 1 purchase for me. You're paying for design and this just oozes it, from the lights to defined edges is does look somewhat si-fi-ish on the desk. But in getting back to reality it is just a USB hub with some rubber on top, making it a very expensive product. There are many powered USB hubs on amazon for much less, only get this one if you need to keep the cord out the way and you're feeling rich. I have not tested this with high powered devices so I cannot say if power extends beyond the first active device, but its usually wise to plug those straight into the built in ports on the controller/motherboard.

Value: 2/5
Design: 5/5
Overall: 4/5

Roccat Kone Max Customization Gaming Mouse
Roccat Kone Max Customization Gaming Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Ready??, 13 Dec. 2009
Super service from amazon arrived very quickly. The packaging is nice it has a window to open and see exactly what you're getting but with such a price tag that's expected. After removing the mouse I noticed that it is much lighter than my previous Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. The batteries in the old mouse gave it some weight so I need to slowly readjust to how the average mouse feels. There's a small plastic storage case with a setup CD and 3 weights (one weight is already in the mouse). Since I'm used to having it heavy I swapped the default weight for the provided 20g taking the total weight to 135g. The other weights are 5, 10 and 15 grams which I need to slowly adapt to.

Now for the setup I installed the setup CD to find out exactly what it is and it has 3 products included:

Firmware
Application
Driver

Roccat incorrectly refer to the application as the `Kone Driver' or `Application Driver', these are in fact separate.

Installing on Windows 7 was a bit of a hassle since the drivers are still in beta. First thing I did was plug the mouse in which doesn't work at all. You need to update the driver and application to the latest version found on the Roccat support site to 1.41 or above. Now if your still using the beta driver you need to copy the "Kone.dll (.sys maybe too)" from the installation directory to the SYSWOW64/System Windows directory and restart your computer. Unplug the mouse (wait 10 secs) and plug it back in this should force redetection and installation but if it doesn't just go to computer management to update.

Now for all the functions to work correctly you need to update the firmware on the mouse itself. Open the installation directory and there is a folder called firmware update (or along those lines) now run the `KoneUpdate.exe' as administrator to update the mouse.

Now with the installation debacle you might be wondering why I still awarded 4 stars for this; well it's sublime to use. The mouse is very customisable from the weight to the lights; I have a standard Windows profile and one for each of my FPS games. The profiles automatically switch depending on which game is launched (they do not return to default once you quit) and you can also assign lights and any other setting to a profile. So for instance when I launch Left 4 Dead the lights change to a nice green to red fade to represent the game and there are some macros to help me take heal quickly. The accuracy of the tracking is excellent especially when I'm coming from a Wireless mouse (one with signal dropouts too). The motion is smooth and when I need speed I can change the DPI (or CPI) in - customisable increments no less - right up to 3200 (which is good for standard action). When I'm sniping or just using Windows I can drop it to sub 2000 for some steadiness. The buttons click with enough response to feel just right and the position of the added buttons is perfect. This really does everything you need and more, you can manage the sensitivity on the X and Y axes individually, use a sensor to track the surface (and auto adjusts laser power), increase acceleration, scroll speeds it goes on and on.

The build quality looks very solid, like most of my reviews now I give the product at least a month before reviewing so I can properly test its endurance and this one has withstood some fair amount of usage and gaming. The cord is pretty standard with a stylised USB connector but should be long enough for most (at least 1.3 metres).

The price is a bit heavy so value wise I would also give it 4/5 but since it works so well it's worth the stretch. Good mouse that few rival but at the price there could be some others to contend, Highly Recommended. The only downside is it doesn't revert back to another profile when you quit a game and the Windows 7 drivers still need packaging properly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2010 4:56 PM GMT

Departure
Departure
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 30 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Departure (Audio CD)
The audio quality on this CD rivals top US releases any day of the week. The blend of instrument vocals and backing is also perfectly done. The variety is vast, yet flows seamlessly from track to track and still retaining core design.

Logitech Squeezebox Duet - WiFi Internet Radio receiver with wireless MP3 music streaming

5.0 out of 5 stars My music is now free, 18 Dec. 2008
I got this setup within 30 minutes as advertised. The hardware is flawless however setting up the software could be a problem depending on your platform. I'm using Windows Home Server and there is a slight problem with SqueezeCenter and PVConnect fighting for port 9000 but this is fixed with a small alteration to preferences file. Edit: The newest installers for Windows Home Server will alert you of this and allow you to change it.

My music is now free to be played remotely with either the controller or at my laptop with SqueezeCenter. The remote is very responsive and so far I have had no problems playing local music. The artwork once cached also displays quickly

Edit:
The screen quality however has the contrast too high so your artwork must be perfect or you will see compression and artifacts.

and adds to a more tangible feel of your music. Some internet radio channels don't work but all my favourites do so not a problem. What I am most impressed with is the fact that this controller really is a computer; upgrades just keep coming. A wheel more like the iPod would also have been appreciated as this one is mechanical and feels slightly odd while selecting music.

Despite the small problems I have still awarded 5 stars because it works as I expect and the problems do not affect me. If your networking or setup skills are not great it could prove a little challenge but there is a LOT of support on the Squeezebox site. This just escaped 4 stars.

Sandisk 4GB Ultra Cruzer Titanium - Retail Pack
Sandisk 4GB Ultra Cruzer Titanium - Retail Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not entirely vista ready, 21 Mar. 2008
This is by far the fastest flash drive I've owned. I haven't tested the quoted speed but from what I've seen it's fair enough to say it's quick. Readyboost enhanced means all areas of the drive meet a minimum speed required for Readyboost and with 4GB I was able to allocate half to vista's Readyboost. Doing this however can cause problems with the U3 software, if you use both technologies together you may stumble across some stability issues or you might not be able to eject your drive at all. Some have confused the Readyboost and U3 software in the reviews and it is very easy to remove or replace the U3 software from the drive if it comes to the worst. Just hit the launchpad enter the settings select the uninstall tab and go through the wizard, easy as pie.
If the U3 software was ironed out to alleviate those bugs with vista and Readyboost then this would easily achieve 5 stars.

Notes: U3 is not compatible with non windows OS so using a password on the drive can completely lock it from operation under another OS.

Hama Star 42 Tripod
Hama Star 42 Tripod
Offered by BestStuff UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Kit. Go for it, 8 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Hama Star 42 Tripod (Camera)
Very robust tripod I've only had it a few hours but I can feel the gain in quality over the hama 63. It holds much more weight and has a sturdier feel, without compromising the smoothness of panning and tilting. However it does not score 5 stars because it lacks a carrying case but if you have a big enough camera kit bag it shouldn't be a problem since as it folds down quite small.

Ridge Racer 6 (Xbox 360)
Ridge Racer 6 (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bias, 15 Feb. 2006
A Lot of people have complained of poor handling and a game which doesn’t compare to Project Gothem racing. This game is an old arcade classic and is not meant to have realistic handling, there are no real cars tracks and so on because that’s the way Ridge racer is. you’ll find the same thing on the PSP, DS PSX and N64 so don’t complain.
This is a great game buy it if your looking for an alternative to a completely realistic driving simulator like PGR3 and GT