Profile for Syd > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Disco: A Fine Selection of Independent Disco, Modern Soul and Boogie 1978-82
Disco: A Fine Selection of Independent Disco, Modern Soul and Boogie 1978-82

1.0 out of 5 stars KNOCK IT OFF, ALREADY!!!!!, 20 May 2015
Nope. They got the sound wrong with that noise reduction again. Again, not as bad as some, but if you know that sound, you know it well: flat, uniform sounding, sometimes worse. This is again one of those that can fool you, so stop the wishful listening,

There is a point of comparison now. One of these tracks is on the new Superfunkanova 2. Go test your ears.

You know, the guys who mastered this must think they are really being clever and hi-tech. “Wow, listen to all the tics we got out of it.” Yea, you also made the mixes and sound of each track indistinguishable from each other.

They MUST put a stop this is practice, it is destroying the recorded history of the human race.

Le Bataclan '72
Le Bataclan '72
Offered by jim-exselecky

2.0 out of 5 stars ….RIGHT SPEED, WRONG SOUND….., 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Le Bataclan '72 (Audio CD)
This is a review of the issue on the US Amazon site, under Velvet Underground Bataclan, date of issue 4/13/14 on the Sunburst label. (This particular issue does not show when looked under Lou Reed)

I don’t know if what I got is a CD-R. but it has full color printing on the disc and an OK picture for the jacket but no liner notes. It is labeled as Sunburst, with a sub-label as Jet Air Music. If this is a CD-R, they certainly did a good job with the graphics.
It used to say on the site…”This is a CD-R fulfilled by Amazon.” As I type, it says ‘no longer available.’

The sound of this is still not right. There is mid-range distortion. The guitars sound piercing. The clapping in between songs sounds unnatural. It should not be like this. There is a bootleg CD of this with far more natural sound. I redubbed this disc thru an equalizer getting much of the midrange distortion out of it. It sounds far more tolerable that way, however it still not quite as good as the bootleg CD.

If there was ever a day and age for an equalizer, this is it. Too many CDs nowadays have excessive treble and high midrange distortion and other noise. Quite often this is fixable, but sometimes whoever ED’d the disc just does not know what they are doing and what bass and treble sound like and maybe went a little too far to bring back down. But I have had great success in fixing those over-driven CDs. If you are interested, the trick is to bring the levels down using the equalizer rather than the recording levels. Bringing the levels down by using the recording levels will wipe out the treble.

I would encourage anyone interested to seek this out from other sources because this disc does not sound like the original tape.
The big drag is that the selection of equalizers on the market is very poor, as is the selection of much of the electronics today. This really worries me.

Does anyone out there know if it is yet possible to set levels and EQ using a computer without buying THE RECORDING STUDIO© (that’s a joke, sort of)…for hundreds $$$ and a bunch of stuff you won’t use?

2 stars because I can almost get the sound right….

Thick as a Brick (40th Anniversary)
Thick as a Brick (40th Anniversary)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars A NEW LOW IN MUSIC HISTORY…., 26 Oct. 2014
I warned you about this DVD format and other things long before the first issue of Thick As A Brick came out, and now Ian and Company has re-re-issued this and, according to another review, there is no way to distinguish the bad copies from the new ones. You just buy and hope. This is an all new low. I don’t know which is lower, the old defective issue or this half-witted apology. They will not even acknowledge what a disaster This Was (…oh, no pun intended).

The other reviewers seem to just happily be listening to a 5.1 DVD where the parts are mismatched. It seems VERY FEW PEOPLE acknowledged this strange defect. It shows the danger and the tyranny of popular opinion. One reviewer wrote me back and said there was nothing wrong with the mix of the DVD. Now I hear it reviewed as ‘unlistenable.’ I kept reading things about the instruments being out of sync but so few seemed to acknowledge it. A few said I was crazy. They just went on and praised this horrible thing.
Is this still the same treble driven issue? Is there an apology for the money spent on the first DVD? Is there some kind of organized move to get people their money back? Did anyone actually buy a new?

You know, I’m really surprised about the negative comments and lack ‘Helpful’s of my reviews. I warned you about this and here it is now, in your face….….I am telling you here, and now, wake up, if there is some kind of organized plan to come up with a ‘universal system’ that plays both DVD and CD, a lot of your CDs will skip. My first CD player was actually a DVD player. I thought, ‘Wow, cool, you mean I can watch movies and listen to music on the same player?” But my entire Rolling Stones, beautifully mastered Abkco issues, skipped, and a few others for no apparent reason. Do you really want to have to replace your Rolling Stones CDs? That is one great series of issues and I have yet to hear anyone complain about it. The Stones Abkco issues are a textbook case in mastering and issuing to preserve history…..Ohhh, watch Mick buy it all back from Allen Klein and destroy it….…English Accent ”What young people want is downloads, their iPods, computers and DVDs and such…that’s what young people are doing today….”

Ian and Company, get off your duffs are stop playing around with these tapes to no end and put out a definitive catalogue that sounds good before you do real damage to the whole music industry. There has been enough damage enough since all these mergers and I am telling you, Ian and Company, you will harm a whole industry with this non-sense…..GET UP AND SPEAK OUT, I AM WARNING YOU ABOUT THE COMING TYRANNY THAT WRECKED HOME MOVIE WATCHING IS COMING TO MUSIC….P.S. Go read my new review of Passion Play CD/DVD.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2015 10:12 AM BST

A Passion Play (An Extended Performance)
A Passion Play (An Extended Performance)
Offered by roundMediaUK

1.0 out of 5 stars HAS IT BEEN DIGITIZED NOW? CAN WE SMASH THE INSTRUMENTS?...., 23 Oct. 2014
Let's begin this review back in balmy days of the 70s, when record companies began printing warnings on the inside sleeves of albums "Home taping is killing music." I did not understand it then and I don't today, but I need to go back to that and in order to bring you up to date on what happened a few days ago and this monstrosity of a music release and the destruction of the electronics industry.

First off the "Home taping is killing music" warning from the 70s proves that the music industry has had a pathological paranoia about home taping for a long, long time. If they were that paranoid then, they must be apoplectic today. I don't know what taping an album and playing the tape in order to keep your record from wearing out is killing but it sure is not the music.

Let's move up to about 1981, where the electronics industry was still separate from Hollywood, and they had to go to the Supreme Court of the United States to get the VCR into homes. Music and Movies hummed along nicely for some years. The TV and VCR became the new camp fire in homes.

Then came the 1996 Telecom industry legislation, and we began to have a situation where the companies who made the music and movies began to merge.

.....Oh, wait a minute. Let's backtrack a bit. Have you ever heard how Eric Clapton got addicted to heroin? He had a cocaine dealer who would not sell him cocaine unless he also bought heroin with it. So, he just kept throwing the heroin in the back of a drawer. One day the cocaine ran out and he tried the heroin. The rest, as they say, is history. That is what this issue reminds me of....

Now let's take things up a few months ago. Blockbuster video closed its doors. A lot of people like to think this has to do with technology, netflicks, streaming movies, the obsolescence of the DVD. I don't discount the affect all that has had. However, the real issue is pricing. The price of a DVD has dropped to the point of the rental price. It was Blockbuster's and the movie industry's stupid, incompetent business decisions that caused Blockbuster to close. As much as people would like to think that all this technological innovation is making the DVD obsolete, as much I do see people using other methods, I also see just as many people and families simply not watching movies anymore, or getting them out of the library. However, believe it or not, there is no fall-off in movie rentals. There is, in fact, a boom in DVD rental: namely, at the public library. But more bad news, even many library have gone streaming with movies. Is music next? By the way, I got my copies of Crimson's Wake, Lizard and Islands out of the library. Yea, they do sound good. I'd like to buy them, but that darn DVD being rammed down my throat really disgusts me. Besides, my tax dollars already paid for my copy.

......I also see a lot of people canceling their cable TV as well. And the people who do still have it, they use it as a sports-watching machine. Even the news has become unbearable to watch. There is a huge rise in non-TV households. I canceled it. I just use the TV to watch tapes and DVDs now. I just gave it up because the movie industry, the electronics industry, and the lies on the news have disgusted me so bad. Is music next?

More history.......In the early 80s, the 8-track tape took a nose dive in favor of the cassette. One of the few good moves. The cassette player became the player of choice for cars. The phrase "Like 8 tracks tapes" become a catch-all phrase for any find of outdated electronics. When they start using this phrase to apply to ALL music, and particularly cassettes and VHS tapes, we are all in big trouble. Cassettes are NOT 8 tracks, VHS tapes are NOT 8 tracks, and neither are books for that matter. The USA has yet to see its first book burning, but it's in the mail, you can be sure. Or maybe the CD player? Or the DVD player next? Think it can't happen?...stay tuned...
I tried to buy a CD player at Best Buy, the only electronics store left, and they did not carry one. I had to buy it thru the mail. Strangely, they did carry 2 different record players for kids. Oddly also, Urban Outfitters, a store for teen-age girls was carry portable record players and racks of 180 gram vinyl LPs from the 60s and 70s. All this in a market where Maxell still makes cassette tapes but no d-mag, VHS tapes, but no cleaner that is reliable.

...Oh let's backtrack again, when all the mergers in the music, movie and electronic industry began to happen in the last 90s, the DVD player was introduced. This was actually the very beginning of the destruction or both home movie watching on TV and now cable TV. There may have been something defective about the early DVDs and/or players. My electronics repairman told me that at one time he had 30 DVD players in his shop and he never has 30 of anything. Don't get me wrong there is lots to like about the DVD. It's better for rental. It's more durable. However, it gave the industry an outlet to exercise its pathological obsession with stopping home taping, and the VCR was pushed aside in favor of the DVD. Whenever you see something like this, or anyone ramming new formats down your throat, be very suspicious. There is no reason to push any format aside in favor of another. If you see this, your freedom is being taken away.

Then came the Blu-ray, and this was Hollywood finally cutting its own throat trying to exercise its pathological obsession to stop home taping. And in the process murdered Blockbuster and home movie watching, and even cable TV. I believe the Blu-ray disgusted people so bad, they finally looked at giving it up.Maybe what the DVD market needed was just some built in inflation to keep up with the Blockbuster rental price. MAYBE, the CD market needs some built in inflation, too.....are you following catching on yet? If memory serves me correctly, Blockbuster actually charged more to rent a Blu-ray, but don't quote me on that one, but the price sure got higher...

Flashback again:..... oh yes,...then there was the scandal of the over-priced CDs in the 1990s. The court ruled that the recording industry had to sell some music at lower prices. Or give rebates - provided the buyer had kept their receipts. So then the bins filled up with cut-outs and sort-of off label issues of big name artists and lots of cassettes for 3 for $5.00.

Just to give you an example of how people in the Hollywood think: A guy named Dan Glickman who was the head of the Motion Picture Industry of America had a bright idea for a DVD. He and his organization wanted to invent a DVD that self-erased after being played once. These are kinds of minds that operate in the music/movie/electronics business today. By the way, this Dan Glickman guy, is one of those like Pete Williams and Anderson Cooper who just love to bounce from government to media to government to high finance and back again. Glickman was also head of Secretary of Agriculture, a congressman, a lawyer for the Society and Exchange Commission, an impressive record that put so much thought into the invention of a new type of DVD, eh?

Now let's talk about this issue. First off, once again, they insist on ramming a DVD I do not want down my throat, mastered by this guy Wilson, who one review called "a prodigy." A Prodigy? What is he, like 12 years old?....If this business isn't creepy enough..... I hear this guy Steve Wilson actually gets royalties for these issues, and to my great horror, have actually put his name on the cover of this issue...Tonight Let's All Make This The Worst Record Deal since Leadbelly's....

I have had one reviewer suggest I `up-grade my equipment." If all this DVD-A is such a hi-fi deal, why do they release it for a system that cost about $100.00 for a player and 5 speakers? Upgrade my equipment?

Fripp and Anderson are pawns in a dangerous game, I am warning you. I'd like to give Ian and Co and Fripp and Co a little taste of what all this is all like to real music lovers and people know how important the preservation of music and historical records are. I think Ian and Co and Fripp and Co are really the ones who need an `up-grade in equipment.' I know how Ian and Co like their acoustic instruments. Do you know what a ball is? It's that little ring on the end of a music string that fits into the bridge. I'd like to invent some new strings every other year so that Ian and Fripp have to change the bridge on their instruments every time they break a string. It would be nice to have to see them rip the wood out of their instruments just to change a broken string. Or better yet, I'd like to sit Ian and Co down, with his mandolins, bouzoukis, balalaikas, harpsichords, accordions, and glockenspiels, and for every instrument explain a little history of recorded music from it's very beginnings, thru the invention of the recording cylinder, thru the Supreme Court decisions, thru the media mergers that have left us with 5 media companies, thru the world of bootlegging and the preservation of historical records on cassette tape in the Library of Congress, and for every phase of the long history, take his acoustic instruments, one by one, and drive my heel into it. After all, those old instruments just do not sound so good anymore. That wood gets old and you need get rid of the old and bring on the new...

Oh one last thing....I have what might be an unauthorized issue of Living in the Past, This LP is quite simply up there with the greatest of double LPs, along with White Album, Quadrophenia, Exile, Frampton Comes Alive, etc....and Ian and Co. has somehow managed to disown this, an amazing act of stupidity. It's an exact replica and the sound is far cleaner than anything ever released by him......another example of the miracles of home taping.....by the way, I quite often clean up over-drive CDs, victims of the loudness wars, and make them listenable.....more about that later....
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2014 7:57 PM GMT

Bionic Boogie
Bionic Boogie

2.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL SOUND>>>>, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Bionic Boogie (Audio CD)
The Funky Town label seems promising. The only other one I have is The Modulations and the sound is fine.

This issue says "Digitally Remastered" on the back....Please....and done none other than by Tom Moultan. Don't tell me I have to give a bad review to Tom Moultan's mastering?

The sound quality is full of high mid-range distortion. Gratefully it is not permanent. I am able to EQ it and redub it to get it to sound acceptable. For those objecting to the low supply and high price, you are not missing much. Seek this out from other sources or gratefully, you, too, know how to use an equalizer. I just don't know why the other reviews can't hear this awful sound...

Essential Funk
Essential Funk

5.0 out of 5 stars LOOKS CHEESY BUT IS FIRST RATE..., 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Essential Funk (Audio CD)
This is put out by the same people who gave us the Superfly Soul series, which is quite simply one of the best funk series ever unleash. Superfly Soul is OOP and I urge Metro Music aka Union Square to re-release it.

In case you missed Superfly Soul - or even if you have it - this tin box duplicates some and adds some new tracks. The sound quality is great. Often CDs in tins are lousy, often remakes of hits, but this is the real deal. It looks cheesy, but you get great music, great sound quality, cardboard jackets - on black velvet, I swear to god...

Now the bad news: this label has now stooped to putting out the Simply Funk, Simply Blaxploitation , Simply Disco, which uses awful noise reduction....it is a shame to see such a promising label be reduced to that. Get the Metro Tins: Essential Blaxploitation, Essential Funk, Birth of Soul, Soul legends, etc and avoid their Simply series.

Essential Blaxploitation
Essential Blaxploitation

5.0 out of 5 stars LOOKS CHEESY BUT IS FIRST RATE..., 15 Aug. 2014
This is put out by the same people who gave us the Superfly Soul series, which is quite simply one of the best funk series ever unleash. Superfly Soul is OOP and I urge Metro Music aka Union Square Music to re-release it.

Now the bad news: this label has now stooped to putting out the Simply Funk, Simply Blaxploitation , Simply Disco, which uses awful noise reduction....it is a shame to see such a promising label be reduced to that. Get the Metro Tins: Essential Blaxploitation, Essential Funk, Birth of Soul, Soul Legends, etc and avoid their Simply series.

Motown Funk
Motown Funk

1.0 out of 5 stars STOP DOING THIS!!!!!, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Motown Funk (Audio CD)
Once again, some kind of noise reduction has been used on this. Go do some comparative listening, these tracks are not rare. Most, if not all, are available in much better sound quality.....This was put out by Motown/Universal. Motown used this type of noise reduction on their Singles Box to great detrimental, although The Singles Box is not as bad as some.. A few people even noticed it if you dig in the reviews. They clearly know what they are doing, as it was NOT used on the Cellarful of Motown series, thank heavens. .....I hope this is not some kind of trend....what are the people thinking that put this stuff out? I am going to keep reporting this until it stops....Some people can actually hear what they are listening to...The effect of this comes in degrees. It pushes the music into the background so it comes out sounding like what might be called "AM stereo." Use this noise reduction a little more and the loud parts will distort out....

Disco Wonderland
Disco Wonderland

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SOUND AND COLLECTION OF SONGS, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Disco Wonderland (Audio CD)
There is not a lot really unusual here except a mixture of deep cuts and commons ones that will always be great. Well, on the other hand, when you look at all the tunes here, it adds up to a really unusual and unique collection.....Really nice sound. For some reason, not on the US Site...

HORSE MEAT DISCO 4
HORSE MEAT DISCO 4

1.0 out of 5 stars NEEDS RE-MASTERING, NOW!!!!, 18 July 2014
This review is from: HORSE MEAT DISCO 4 (Audio CD)
The Horse Meat series is some great music, some of the best ever, but I am really horrified by the wrecked sound. They are using some kind of noise shaping or noise reduction that destroys the depth and ring on the instruments. I have trained my ears to catch this thru ear buds so I don’t get fooled again. The trick is to listen to the drums. Listen for the ‘depth.’ The crudest bootleg audience recording will have depth to it. Even mono has depth to it. A lot of these songs are not rare. Go do some comparison

Also, when this kind of noise shaping rears its ugly head, the effect of the stereo is destroyed. I have not heard this particular issue, but I seriously doubt the makers have learned anything since….
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 7:23 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6