Profile for JRO > Reviews

Nom Yourself: Simple Vegan Cooking
Nom Yourself: Simple Vegan Cooking
by Mary Mattern

3.0 out of 5 stars So much for globalisation..., 9 Oct. 2015
I was excited when this book was finally published as Mary's online work has been great. However, for a UK audience it's a little limiting. If you're new to vegan cooking, you'll have two new sets of terminology to get to grips with - the book is tailored to the American market so expect ziti, zucchini, Fahrenheit and buttermilk. My interest is primarily in locally and ethically-sourced produce, so I was also a little surprised to see an ingredients list including onion powder. Again, this may be more of an American thing than any slight on Mary's recipes. I'm looking forward to trying some of these and will adapt accordingly.

Kent KCQ6600 Microfibre Cleaning Towels, Set of 6
Kent KCQ6600 Microfibre Cleaning Towels, Set of 6
Offered by Auto-Accessorize

2.0 out of 5 stars Fluff leavers, 21 Jun. 2015
Not near the quality of the big drying cloth by Kent, these leave fluff on windows

Place Beyond The Pines [Blu-ray] [2013]
Place Beyond The Pines [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling

5.0 out of 5 stars Best film I've seen in years, 22 Aug. 2013
I'm quite confused about how this film has such average reviews on Amazon. I see a lot of films and, after this one, I went home from the cinema feeling as though I'd just witnessed some of the greatest storytelling and finest acting ever.

It doesn't try to appeal to one trend or audience and is completely universal. My dad, for example, also thought it was incredible. You don't need to 'appreciate' film to enjoy this, just love a captivating story. However, if you do, you'll be treated to some remarkable acting and staggering cinematography.

Shure SE215 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Clear
Shure SE215 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Clear
Offered by Unique daily deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm AND detailed? I didn't think it was possible either..., 9 Mar. 2013
Having spent some time reading the trade and customer reviews, I really didn't think the SE215's would live up to expectations. However, after spending a couple of minutes figuring out the fit (easy once you've got it - and they also fit fine along with my glasses), I put on the Maccabees' Colour It In which has become a bit of a test album for me, being one of the few on my iPhone in lossless format. This is one of my favourite albums and immediately I noticed elements that I hadn't before. The harmonies between the guitars and the timbre of Orlando's vocals were more present than ever.

A quick test with Kayne West/Jay Z's Watch The Throne demonstrates that iTunes downloads - and hip hop - sound equally revealing. However, it was playing Because Of The Times, King's Of Leon's third album, that really sealed it for me. 'Charmer' can often sound a little detached - a little TOO detailed - on some headphones - but here it came together perfectly. The use of clipped reverb during 'On Call' was more evident than ever and, more importantly, the song took on a driving rhythm that I've only experienced when seeing it played live. The passion in Caleb's voice was also gripping.

Most importantly, I can't take them off! I know I'm going to be listening to a lot more music as a result, and that's the vital measure for me. The warm signature is perfect if you like that sound (which I do, being a little averse to 'bright' audio) but there is also plenty of detail. If this is your taste - or if you're not actually fussed and just want some decent earphones to listen to your music at its best - spend a little time getting used to the over-ear fit and I've no doubt you'll love 'em.

The Dictator - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
The Dictator - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sacha Baron Cohen
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do some fans not like this?!, 17 Dec. 2012
Some very clever, very close to the mark humour - much better than Bruno and as good as Borat. I've watched it twice including the cinema and I think it's one of his best.

There Is Love In You [VINYL]
There Is Love In You [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 22 July 2011
I bought this album on the strength of Four Tet's incredible recent work with Burial. Aside from clear stand out tracks Angel Echoes, and She Just Likes To Fight (which sounds like Explosions In The Sky - and, naturally Plastic People, following his residency at the Dubstep club, much of the album has quite a housey feel. A slight disappointment at first for anyone expecting a more ambient/dubstep inspired sound - yet still a superb album for what it is. Hopefully his next record will be truly brilliant, as his sound develops in this direction.

Extraordinary Animals: An Encyclopedia of Curious and Unusual Animals
Extraordinary Animals: An Encyclopedia of Curious and Unusual Animals
by Ross Piper

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Attenborough?, 26 Nov. 2008
This may sound like a grand claim, but I think the search for a new natural history TV presenter is over: Ross Piper could well be the new David Attenborough.

His informative yet entertaining style (some of Piper's insightful human-animal comparisons and clever explanations are laugh-out-loud funny) makes `Extraordinary Animals' an unputdownable read.

I have never been `very good' at science, but if this book had existed when I was at school, I think my excitement would have been fully realised. Totally accessible, this book will be enjoyed by all ages; for either pleasure, learning or - the holy grail of the written word - both.

I'm sure it won't be long before the BBC pick up a copy of this book and blast Ross Piper into his own natural habitat: our TV sets.

iPod
iPod
by Dylan Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars iHistory, 21 Oct. 2007
This review is from: iPod (Hardcover)
It is, perhaps, testament to the speed at which technology develops, but I could not finish this book. The clincher comes when Jones, dribbling with excitement, announces that there is "a fast-growing band of so-called `pod-casters'... mostly amateur programme-makers...". One could argue that Jones' had his `finger on the pulse', back in 2004 when recording his eulogy to portable music. But, reading it just three years later is like taking a history lesson.

The book is at its best when describing the workings of Apple as a company, and the development of the iPod's design. Before the `clincher', I had begun to skip the self-indulgent chapters which cover his `personal' journey', which were a little too `personal' to be of interest to anyone except his biggest fans.

Short Strut to the Brassy Front
Short Strut to the Brassy Front
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars This Girl: 'Well Good', 22 Jan. 2004
Having purchased this album shortly after it came out, the album and I have had a long time for any 'growing' that needed to take place before it allowed me to fully enjoy her. But this time was hardly needed. This Girl are one of the most original and exciting post-hardcore bands around, with a live show like no other. This album encapsulates everything that the band stand for- making good music. It's certainly not inaccessible- at least not to anyone that enjoys this style of music. Buy it now!