Profile for Rebecca > Reviews

Wonder
by R J Palacio
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but not as gripping as I expected, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Wonder (Paperback)
I bought this book after hearing some great reviews and reports that it was the next 'Curious Incident', which I really enjoyed. Unfortunately the book disappointed me slightly as I do not think it lived up to these reports. It is definitely nowhere near as moving and engaging a book as 'Curious Incident'.

The story is about August, a boy with a facial disfigurement. The narrative switches between being written from August's perspective to other characters in the story, such as his sister and friends, and by doing this the story does successfully show how a condition like August's can affect not only the children themselves but also other people around them. The book contains some good messages - such as the importance of kindness.

However, I found the book grated slightly. This was partially due to it being very American-ised, although I appreciate this is difficult to avoid when talking from an American child's perspective. However, I also felt that the book lacked the depth it could have considering the topic. I struggled to truly care about any of the characters, and although I expected it to be a very emotional read it failed to be this.

Worth a read to see what you think, but in my opinion not as good as the hype suggests

George's Secret Key to the Universe
George's Secret Key to the Universe
by Lucy Hawking
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with lots of scientific info!, 9 Aug 2013
I bought this book to use with my class of Year 5's. Just finished reading it myself and really enjoyed it - now very excited about reading it to my class! The story provides a great framework for learning about space and the universe. None of the science is 'dumbed down' for children, and yet this book manages to explain concepts that can be quite difficult to grasp, such as black holes and the life cycle of stars. The reader learns about different aspects of the universe as the main character George comes across them on his trips into space. This gives all the information on space a context and meaning - which is very valuable as often learning about space can just become learning a load of facts which are then quickly forgotten. As an adult I learnt more about space from this book than I ever had from anywhere else! The book also touches on the positives and negatives of science - such as how it can be used to both destroy our world and help save our world. Would greatly recommend this to anybody - either children with an interest in space, or teachers wanting to find a space-themed book to read to their class!