Profile for olivier sainson > Reviews

Genius and Misery of Chess
Genius and Misery of Chess
by Zhivko Kaikamjozov

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool book, 25 Jun. 2013
I bought this book to know a bit more about past and present Grand Masters. I knew quite a few of them though - besides at the end of each chapter their best games are provided. Pretty quick to read and very interesting

Chess Tactics (Crowood Chess Library)
Chess Tactics (Crowood Chess Library)
by P. Littlewood

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good chess book, 25 Jun. 2013
Review of different topics, nicely explained with chess puzzles providing more insight and understanding to the chess practitioner. Really good book choice I would recommand

The Emperor Wears No Clothes
The Emperor Wears No Clothes
by Jack Herer

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 11 April 2013
This was supposed to be a gift I;'ve spent nearly £40 for a paperback that looked ridiculous. It was my first purchase on amazon and was nearly the last. For those interested in the weed history etc... I believe that several books with the same title do exist. For the price paid I did expect a 300 page book with plenty of illustrations not this 50 page rip of in black and white showing various articles not related to each others. DO NOT BUY!!! To BURN!!!

The Art of Learning: An Inner Journey to Optimal Performance
The Art of Learning: An Inner Journey to Optimal Performance
by Josh Waitzkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great autobiography, 11 April 2013
This book is about self development and teaches us the way to improve ourselves through what matters to us. I love (auto)biographies in general and truly enjoyed reading this book.

Fritz 13 - Chess Playing and Analysis Program (PC-DVD)
Fritz 13 - Chess Playing and Analysis Program (PC-DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 11 April 2013
Been using Fritz every single day.... been loosing every single day as well (lol). The options on this version are truly great. I use fritz mainly to improve my final skills and as a training partner. I guess everyone would have a personal interest in this software according to their own needs to improve their games.

I really recommend Fritz!!!

Bobby Fischer Goes to War
Bobby Fischer Goes to War
by David Edmonds

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 11 April 2013
I've been reading quite a few Bobby Fisher autobiographies and this one was as good as any other. For any Bobby Fisher fan - this book is worth reading.

1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
by Fred Reinfeld

3.0 out of 5 stars Great puzzles, 11 April 2013
I think this chess puzzle book is really really good - it was exactly what I wanted and needed. However 1 thing I did hate though and truly bothered me... the old chess notation system. If you're familiar with it great if you aren't it will spoil the whole experience.

Chess is My Life: Autobiography and Games (Batsford chess books)
Chess is My Life: Autobiography and Games (Batsford chess books)
by Viktor Korchnoi

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 11 April 2013
I didn't know much about Korchnoi and found his autobiography really interesting. The book was written in the 70s during the cold war and presents the up and downs of a man who fought according to what he believed. Personally I found the story of Korchnoi inspirational.

The Six Power Moves of Chess: The Missing Key to Finding Good Chess Moves From Any Position!
by William Karneges

5.0 out of 5 stars The six power moves of chess, 11 April 2013
One of the best book of chess I have ever read. It teaches how to look at the chess board proactively and how to improve our understanding of the game. I am just playing for fun against my chess software and sometimes against a mate - I have no clue of my chess rating - however I start to look at strategies and tactics and the games I am now playing are much more interesting. I recommend this book to anyone who gets nowhere with their chess games and to people willing to improve.