Profile for Marilyn Z. Tomlins > Reviews

Content by Marilyn Z. Tomlins

Marilyn Z. Tomlins (Paris)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Bloodless Boy
The Bloodless Boy
by Robert J. Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars I came upon a masterpiece, 26 July 2015
This review is from: The Bloodless Boy (Paperback)
Not a reader of Gothic, it was with doubt that I began reading this novel. The cover - and the title - did catch my eye so I wanted to read what would be a new genre for me.

After the opening sentence - London, 1678. The blood-drained body of a young boy is discovered in the snow on the bank of the Fleet River - I was eager to read on. And how pleased I am that I did.

Robert - if I may call the author by his name - is a fine writer and creator. How he had though of this plot I just cannot figure out.

He also has a perfect command of the English language which made his writing all the more exciting.

I also take my hat off to him for the research which must have gone into this book.

Mr Lloyd - no I ought not call you by your name! - you are a great writer. Bravo!

Toby's Tails - Still Wagging (Fantasy Farm Tales Book 4)
Toby's Tails - Still Wagging (Fantasy Farm Tales Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 11 July 2015
Having read the first in this series about the life and adventures of Toby the Border Collie – Toby’s Tails - it was sheer delight reading this second book in the series – Toby’s Tails Still Wagging.

Susan Keefe writes Toby’s story in his own voice which adds a hundredfold to the charm of these two books.

Toby is now a little older and a little wiser and quite caring toward his little friends like Lucky. He does though get a little impatient when Lucky sleeps a little too much.

I think that if our pets could express their thoughts in our human language then we will learn that they do indeed think like Toby.
A fan of this dog – I wish I need not call him a dog – I am looking forward to the third book in the series.
Like the first book this one too will be marvellous entertainment for a child, but adults, I know, will find it too a delightful read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2015 11:19 AM BST

Ally: My Journey Across the American-Israeli Divide
Ally: My Journey Across the American-Israeli Divide
by Michael B. Oren

5.0 out of 5 stars Most interesting and well told, 5 July 2015
I am neither American nor Israeli, but having read Michael Oren's two fiction and having liked them enormously - and having watched him being interviewed on the Israeli news site I24 News, I ordered this book when it was still on pre-order.

Mr Oren has, in my view, written an honest memoir of his years as Israeli Ambassador to Washington. What has been just names before I had read the book, are now real people - some nicer than I had thought they were, others not nice as I had thought they were. And - I now know that President Obama never eats the dessert at official lunches or dinners!

Mr Oren also writes movingly of the desire he had since childhood to make iliya and then making it.

I have just one regret about the book and this is that Mr Oren almost never tell us about the role the European nations - France for example where I live and the United Kingdom of which I am a national, and then of course also Germany because of the Shoah - played in peace talks or in conflicts and wars like the War of Independence, the 6-day War and the Yom Kippur War. He also must have had contact with the ambassador of these three countries as well as the other European nations.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who does not understand what the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is about, just as I recommend the book to those who are playing in this conflict, because one never knows it all.

Toby's Tails (Fantasy Farm Tales Book 1)
Toby's Tails (Fantasy Farm Tales Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars One falls in love with this cute little ball of black and white ..., 27 Jun. 2015
Right in the beginning of 'Toby's Tails' there is a photograph of Toby as a puppy. One falls in love with this cute little ball of black and white fur before one has even read one word of Susan Keefe's book. Then, reading the book, Toby does not fail to strengthen his hold on one's heart.

Susan has written the book in Toby's voice, alternating briefly at times by having some of his other animal companions taking over the narrative. This is so skilfully done that at the end of the book one feels that one has indeed been communicating with our friends from the animal world.

I therefore say that this is a book not only for children, but indeed also for adults. Do buy it!

I just hope that Susan Keefe will continue to allow Toby and his animal companions to speak to us.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2015 11:30 AM BST

The Lazy Cook (Book One): Quick and Easy Meatless Meals: (Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Vegetarian Cookbook)

5.0 out of 5 stars And certainly not boring! I cannot recommend this book highly enough, 27 Jun. 2015
Susie Kelly has written a most delightful cookbook most delightfully. In fact, 'The Lazy Cook' is so much more than a cookbook: it is a mouth watering food odyssey.

Ms Kelly being a vegetarian, the dishes are of course all vegetarian, but this makes the book so much more interesting because one learns that not eating meat is not a handicap. And certainly not boring!

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. And I am sure that once you have entertained - and stunned - your dinner guests with one of Susie Kelly's recipes, you will be delighted to know that soon another cookbook is to follow.

Napoleon
Napoleon
by Emil Ludwig

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about Napoleon., 21 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Napoleon (Hardcover)
By Marilyn Z. Tomlins on June 21, 2015
This is the best book about Napoleon. I bought my hardback with a cream-colored dust jacket many years ago at an antique shop which also sold old books. Emil Ludwig dedicated the book to Elga Ludwig and it is dated ‘Moscia. Summer 1924’. The English translation, which I have, was published by Random House.

Some reviewers here on Amazon do not like Ludwig’s use of the present tense. To me his present tense is what makes the book excellent: it took me right onto the battlefields, and certainly right into Longwood, Napoleon’s house of exile on the island of St. Helena.

Do know though that some of Napoleon’s words have been invented by Ludwig, but as he certainly knew and understood his subject, you can be sure that what he has Napoleon saying makes sense. (He does explain at the back of the book that some of Napoleon’s ‘soliloquies’ (his word) have been invented. As for the rest of the dialogue those he got from memoirs and Napoleonic studies.

Because of the 200th commemoration of the Battle of Waterloo Napoleon is front-page news this year of 2015, so if you wish to read a good book about Napoleon you can download Ludwig’s book from the Gutenberg.Org.

The Sin Eater (A Mike Travis Paranormal Investigation Book 6)
The Sin Eater (A Mike Travis Paranormal Investigation Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 4 Jun. 2015
A new Jan McDonald means some pleasant hours to come. Indeed, 'The Sin Eater' does not disappoint.

Author McDonald has a way of taking the reader into a world of strange paranormal happenings which under her skillfill pen is never scary but always fascinating. And indeed intriguing. I've read all her books and each time I found myself on the Web researching the paranormal because she had told the story so well that my interest in the subject had been re-awakened.

I just hope that she will keep Mike Travis busy in the future.

'The Sin Eater' is a book I described as a 'must read'. You will love it!

Secret Shame
Secret Shame

5.0 out of 5 stars As all Author Needham's novels, a superb read, 26 May 2015
This review is from: Secret Shame (Kindle Edition)
Author Needham tells us in his bio that he has had a love affair with the written and printed word all of his life. I can say that reading his novels is indeed like having a love affair with the written word.

I have read all his novels, having come across the first quite by chance, and I have not found one which had disappointed me.

As is the way of this talented writer, in 'Secret Shame' he yet again takes the reader into the homes of not super stars with whom we cannot identify, but ordinary people, people like us. In a most elegant way he tells us of their daily lives, of their concerns, their loves, their hates, but also of their happiness.

I recommend this novel, as indeed all his novels, highly.

Blair Inc - The Man Behind the Mask
Blair Inc - The Man Behind the Mask

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is not a light read., 1 May 2015
This book is not a light read.

I will say that only those who are in the British political world would find it interesting.

Another Spring: Five heart-warming seasonal tales
Another Spring: Five heart-warming seasonal tales

5.0 out of 5 stars An wonderful selection of stories., 14 Feb. 2015
I consider myself a John Needham reader. I am indeed one of his very many fans.

This collection of five stories, will take you out of your own world, take you into another, not an imaginary one the likes of which do not exist, but one very real, very human world, one you will identify with.

Also, Author Needham tells a story extremely well which means that this is a book you will greatly enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5