Profile for Jayne Mcconkey > Reviews

Content by Jayne Mcconkey

Jayne Mcconkey (Belfast, NI)

Recovery is my best revenge: My experience of trauma, abuse and dissociative identity disorder (Collected Essays Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book and very interesting to hear from this ..., 16 July 2014
Very interesting book and very interesting to hear from this perspective. I heard Carolyn present and she was very articulate and interesting.

The Red Tree
The Red Tree
by Shaun Tan

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Red Tree (Paperback)
Awesome book!!

Where Children Sleep
Where Children Sleep
by James Mollison

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and conversation provoking, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Where Children Sleep (Hardcover)
I bought this book after seeing some images on Facebook. I bought it and my friend's kids were over the day after it arrived. We sat and worked our way through the book and it provoked a lot of conversation about bedrooms and the situation for different children around the world. Beautifully put together book.

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 20 April 2014
This was a fun read creates an interesting new world and though it is for younger readers, as an adult I enjoyed it as a bit of escapism. Wanted to read it before watching the movie, and glad I did, but probably best to leave more than a few days before watching the movie as I kept comparing the two the whole way through the movie.

Momma And The Meaning Of Life: Tales of Psycho-therapy
Momma And The Meaning Of Life: Tales of Psycho-therapy
by Irvin D. Yalom

5.0 out of 5 stars great and readable, 14 Feb 2014
I found this to be both interesting and immensely readable.
Yalom's observations, reflections and stories are fascinating.
Rich material but not at all dense.

Friedman's Fables (Book and Manual of Questions)
Friedman's Fables (Book and Manual of Questions)
by Edwin H. Friedman

5.0 out of 5 stars sharing the fables, 14 Feb 2014
I have not read all the book yet, but already I have found the fables relevant to my work, my thinking about clients and life. I have shared the fables a couple times this week already!
Nicely laid out book, with images and bite sized fables.

Widows' Row
Widows' Row
by Shirley-Anne McMillan

5.0 out of 5 stars chose to keep reading over sleep, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: Widows' Row (Paperback)
This was a great read (I did indeed read late and wake up early to finish it). The main character felt very genuine. She felt very familiar and reminded me of many of the young people I work with. The story raises questions of life and death, faith and identity, love and friendship in real ways but doesn't try to give you a definitive answer, encouraging you to engage your own humanity through the story. It is a very modern story, but also tells a timeless tale of human experience and growing up.

Readings from the Book of Exile
Readings from the Book of Exile
by Padraig O'Tuama

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely addition to any book collection., 29 Aug 2012
A book of rich reflections on being human. Sad, funny, moving and delicious.
I am currently carrying it around in my bag for opportune moments to dip into it.

I Spy Mystery (Picture Books)
I Spy Mystery (Picture Books)
by Jean Marzollo

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but even challenging for the adults!, 5 May 2011
The book is interesting with every page having quite a different style of image. The items are also varied and captured the attention of my niece and nephew. Some things are very hard to find - even for the adults, but it is easy to vary it with young children as there are so many things you could be spying.

Hidden Treasure: A Map to a Child's Hidden Self: A Map to the Child's Inner Self
by Violet Oaklander

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting and very readable, 5 Jun 2009
I have found this book to be very readable and informative. There is some overlap between chapters as it is a series of articles and pieces written during the 28 years since her last book, but this makes them very readable as stand alone chapters. I will be starting a art therapy placement working with children soon, and imagine I will be back to this book again and again. A great introduction to both children and young people's developmental needs as well as pertinent issues and interesting ways of working with them. It is written from a gestalt therapy influenced perspective, however would be a useful addition to the library of anyone interested in, or working with children (and indeed grown up children!!)