Profile for Jayne Mcconkey > Reviews

Content by Jayne Mcconkey

Jayne Mcconkey (Belfast, NI)

Page: 1 | 2
The Huge Bag of Worries
The Huge Bag of Worries
by Virginia Ironside

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for helping children who are carrying lots of ..., 29 Nov 2014
A good book for helping children who are carrying lots of worries. I have used this with children I work with and a few of them found this helped give a vocabulary for talking about their worries.

The Arrival
The Arrival
by Shaun Tan

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift to keep giving, 29 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
This is one of my favourite books. It is a moving story beautifully and creatively told. I genuinely had never experienced a book like it before the first time I read it. It is a gift I keep giving too - a gem that is worthy of sharing.

Recovery is my best revenge: My experience of trauma, abuse and dissociative identity disorder (Collected Essays Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book and very interesting to hear from this ..., 16 July 2014
Very interesting book and very interesting to hear from this perspective. I heard Carolyn present and she was very articulate and interesting.

The Red Tree
The Red Tree
by Shaun Tan

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Red Tree (Paperback)
Awesome book!!

Where Children Sleep
Where Children Sleep
by James Mollison

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and conversation provoking, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Where Children Sleep (Hardcover)
I bought this book after seeing some images on Facebook. I bought it and my friend's kids were over the day after it arrived. We sat and worked our way through the book and it provoked a lot of conversation about bedrooms and the situation for different children around the world. Beautifully put together book.

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 20 April 2014
This was a fun read creates an interesting new world and though it is for younger readers, as an adult I enjoyed it as a bit of escapism. Wanted to read it before watching the movie, and glad I did, but probably best to leave more than a few days before watching the movie as I kept comparing the two the whole way through the movie.

Momma And The Meaning Of Life: Tales of Psycho-therapy
Momma And The Meaning Of Life: Tales of Psycho-therapy
by Irvin D. Yalom

5.0 out of 5 stars great and readable, 14 Feb 2014
I found this to be both interesting and immensely readable.
Yalom's observations, reflections and stories are fascinating.
Rich material but not at all dense.

Friedman's Fables (Book and Manual of Questions)
Friedman's Fables (Book and Manual of Questions)
by Edwin H. Friedman

5.0 out of 5 stars sharing the fables, 14 Feb 2014
I have not read all the book yet, but already I have found the fables relevant to my work, my thinking about clients and life. I have shared the fables a couple times this week already!
Nicely laid out book, with images and bite sized fables.

Widows' Row
Widows' Row
by Shirley-Anne McMillan

5.0 out of 5 stars chose to keep reading over sleep, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: Widows' Row (Paperback)
This was a great read (I did indeed read late and wake up early to finish it). The main character felt very genuine. She felt very familiar and reminded me of many of the young people I work with. The story raises questions of life and death, faith and identity, love and friendship in real ways but doesn't try to give you a definitive answer, encouraging you to engage your own humanity through the story. It is a very modern story, but also tells a timeless tale of human experience and growing up.

Readings from the Book of Exile
Readings from the Book of Exile
by Padraig O'Tuama

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely addition to any book collection., 29 Aug 2012
A book of rich reflections on being human. Sad, funny, moving and delicious.
I am currently carrying it around in my bag for opportune moments to dip into it.

Page: 1 | 2