Profile for Mr. P. J. Sampson > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. J. Sampson

Mr. P. J. Sampson "sammo" (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Photo Jigsaw Puzzle of Gerard Depardieu in a submarine from Science Photo Library
Offered by Media Storehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a jigsaw, more a window to a better world, 19 Dec 2013
Being unable to work at the moment due to illness, I have been struggling to come to terms with my condition, and the limitations it puts on my ability to see the world.

So imagine my joy when I received this item. The jigsaw itself is challenging, from trying to put together the pieces of the deep blue sea, to foraging for the ones that form Gerard's face, it really is a most satisfying challenge.

However, completing the jigsaw is only party of the joy that this item offers, as once complete, it reveals a scene of beautiful serenity which, once stared at for long enough, with the help of a few glasses of Scotch, will help you feel relaxed and at one with the world.

The joy of gazing upon a man, enjoying the undersea kingdom that is the sea, one can't help but ask, is Gerard the one lucky to be seeing this hidden world, or are the marine animals the lucky ones as they have chance to see one of the great actors of our time.

Lucky fish. Lucky Gerard.

Anthems 90s
Anthems 90s

5.0 out of 5 stars Chock full of 90s Goodness, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Anthems 90s (Audio CD)
Loads of cracking tracks, bringing back memories of dancing badly in Greek bars and nightclubs on summer holidays throughout the 90s. Bargain.

Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, Xoom, Toshiba, Acer, Nook and Other Tablets
Offered by icolor

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, portable and very useful., 18 Nov 2013
Great little stand. Allows you to stand tablets in both landscape and portrait modes, and at a variety of angles. Very pleased.

Apple IPAD AIR WI-FI 16GB 16 GB 1024 MB 9.7 -inch Retina display
Apple IPAD AIR WI-FI 16GB 16 GB 1024 MB 9.7 -inch Retina display
Offered by Xtra Cubby

5.0 out of 5 stars So much lighter than an Ipad 4, 18 Nov 2013
The only slight criticism I could level at my Ipad 4 was that it was felt heavy; you certainly notice the weight if you held it for any length of time. So when this lighter Ipad Air was released, I took the plunge in the hope I could feel the reduction in weight.

I was not disappointed, it is so much lighter than its predecessor, and also smaller overall, while keeping the same screen size, thanks to Apple reducing the size of the border and making it really thin.

I was worried that it was a bit extravagant to upgrade from an Ipad 4 to the Air, but the physical changes to the tablet really give the tablet a new lease of life. I've not had need to see how great the new A7 chip is, but a quick side by side comparison of Apple maps on both the 4 & the Air fouls render the 3d buildings in cities much more smoothly than the ipad 4. It's nothing scientific, but worked for me.

Was it worth upgrading? Definitely.

Kampa Sandy High Back Low Beach Chair.
Kampa Sandy High Back Low Beach Chair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really comfy for the beach, 10 Sep 2013
Bought two of these for a recent beach holiday to St Ives. They are so much more comfortable that the 'normal' folding charis, as they are fairly laid back, and allow you to stretch your legs out in front.

Expert Shield - THE Crystal Clear Screen Protector for: Google Nexus 4 (Front and Back) BUY ONE GET ONE FREE *Lifetime Guarantee*
Offered by Expert Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection, 10 Sep 2013
Really like this product - Really easy to apply first time, and it was the first screen protector I've ever applied where I could get all the bubbles out.

Once applied, the screen protector is almost invisible, and lovely and smooth to touch.

Excellent

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB Sim Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB Sim Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars A big jump from in quality, 25 May 2012
I've owned the sim free version of this phone for just over a week now, and overall I am really pleased.

Physical form....
Having quite a large screen means the phone itself is quite large, however it is by slim. Even though it is bigger than my old Desire, it has only taken a few days to get used to it, and now I find it quite comfortable to use for oth browsing or even as a phone.

Screen...
The screen is crystal clear - even when I get up close, I can't see the pixels. It is also really vibrant, and a big step up from the Desire screen. I know some people have mentioned a few quirks with this screen, but I can't fault it at all.

Battery...
Ok, the first thing to say is that all smartphones eat their battery, but now I have done a few charging cycles, I get about a a day's use from the battey. This is no worse (but also no better) than my old Desire, so i'm quite happy.

Camera...
Only 5mp, but still good enough for me. The pictures seem quite clear and vibrant, so it is more than adequate for a camera in a phone. There are a few cool features, such as the face warping on video, or the cool panoramic mode, but the standout feature is the lack of shutter lag; photos are taken as soon as you press the shutter button, there's no half second delay like some phones.

O/S...
This is a Google branded phone, meaning you get a pure Android 4.0 experience, without a manufactures interface stuck on top of it. For me, 4.0 is absolutely stunning, it feels much more intuitive than earlier versions of the software, with everything feeling like its in the right place. Simple things, like the transition between screens is so slick and fluid, the whole experience is just beautiful. I'm no android fanboy (i'm typing this on an iPad), but I prefer ice cream sandwich to ios5, it just feels a more satisfying experience.
Another bonus is that things such as data usage, battery usage and app management all have much friendlier user interfaces, making all the apps that did this sort of thing redundant

Another plus for me was that ice cream sandwich does not seem as closely integrated with Facebook. There is no auto sync with your existing contacts etc, so profile picture and status updates do not appear in your contacts lists. Some people will not like this, but I am pleased.

A quirk I should mention is that the phone does not support smart dialling. Eg on my desire, if I wanted to call 'home' I could dial 4663. However, you cannot do this on this phone. BUT, the contacts menu is so well laid out it has not been as big an issue as I first feared..

Memory...
Ok, the memory isn't expandable, limited to 16gb, but that is more than enough for me. I don't keep a lot of music etc on my phone, but I guess if you did, then the limited capacity might be an issue. Coming from an htc desire, where having more than a couple of apps caused storage issues, im in hog heaven, as I've downloaded lots of apps with no memory issues at all.

Overall...
I love this phone, it feels like smart phones have come through an awkward adolescence and have finally grown up. I still look at it now and marvel at what has been squeezed in to such a small package. Would I buy it again..I perhaps might wait to see what the SGS3 has to offer, but it will have to go some to beat this.

Philips PowerTouch Plus PT870cc Dual Precision Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Clean and Charge System

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shaver, lousy instructions, 10 Feb 2012
Thought I would give this a try as I didn't always have time for a wet shave, and as it was on offer for £50, it seemed like a good deal.

I was pleasantly surprised how a good a shave this gives, dealing with the tricky neck area with ease. It doesn't take any time at all to achieve a good result, so I'm very pleased with performance.

The only thing that lets this shaver down is the instructions. There are no words, just pictures, but I ended up looking on you tube to figure out ow to use the jet clean system (you need to push the shaver into the mount for it to work proplerly). I've taken a star off for this

All in all, really pleased with this, especially at 50 quid.

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - Apple iPad 1 / 1st Generation - (2 x Screen Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, but don't rush, 12 Jan 2011
This is a really good screen protector for the IPad - it has a matte finish so diminishes the amount of reflection from the screen, but does not reduce the sensitivity of the touch screen. However, you must take your time applying the protector as rushing will only leave you with annoying air bubbles.

Phone Devils service was excellent - once the item was dispatched they sent a a separate email with a link to a useful YouTube video explaining how to apply the screen protector. A couple of sweets were also included in the package, Which i thought was a nice touch.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Offered by Turbotrance

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinity Ward have delivered another classic, 10 Nov 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Infinity Ward have nailed this one, apart from the graphics and sound, the feel of the game is just right; COD World at War felt as if I were removed somehow from the action, but this game puts you right in the thick of it - From blood spalltering over the screen when you're shot, to the satisfying recoil from your weapon when you fire, it just feels right.

The best bit about COD is the multiplayer, which has improved from their last game - the levels feel more 3-Dimensional, with more hills, and split level buildings. The killstreak facility has also improved, as you can select what happens after certain streaks - I especially like the predator missile, where you have to guide the missile onto its target! Another cool feature is Deathstreak - if you are killed several times without killing anyone, you can take the same weapons pack as the person who killed you - giving you more of a fighting chance.

I'm rambling, but there's so much to say that I don't know what to type first. Put simply, this game is excellent - easily woth the hype that's surrounded it over the last few weeks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4