Profile for Becca > Reviews

Fierce
Fierce
by Kelly Osbourne

4.0 out of 5 stars True Osbourne style, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Fierce (Paperback)
I love The Osbournes because they're honest and embody the phrase "nobody's perfect". Kelly is no exception and this book makes me respect and understand her that bit more. It was hard to read about the substance misuse problems, my impression was Kelly was lost in the lifestyle of LA and the newfound fame The Osbournes brought her, and she was a young girl who was from England and didn't automatically fit in at school.

What warmed Kelly even more to me was that she wasn't afraid to admit she screwed up, and more than once. This is a beautifully honest biography and doesn't gloss over anything, she talks about her childhood, teenage years, the Atlantic moves, her drug use and how everything made her feel. Kelly is her mother's daughter - a truly creative and fierce lady, who will fight for what she wants and believes in.

At First Sight
At First Sight
by Nicholas Sparks

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 6 April 2014
This review is from: At First Sight (Paperback)
I fell in love with Jeremy & Lexie and their relationship in True Believer. I was so excited to see that Sparks had written a follow up because I wanted to see how the relationship would develop and to see hoe Jeremy was coping in living in a small town, after being (I'm guessing) a typical New Yorker and loving it, seeing how Lexie deals with the changed that being in a relationship brings, the day to day things that they have to work through as a couple.

It was beautifully written and the ending took my breath away. It was everything you'd expect from a Nicholas Sparks' book, and if you're a fan, don't hestitate.

Hellboy [DVD]
Hellboy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ron Perlman
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hellboy [DVD] (DVD)
I've not read the graphic novels, the trailer caught my eye. Great film, great CGI and amazing cast. For me, as an introduction to Hellboy it was great, as you were introduced to how he was found and his adopted father. It was interesting to see the Nazis' interest in mythology to win world war two.

Friends Everything I Know Maxi Poster
Friends Everything I Know Maxi Poster
Offered by Poster Revolution UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 10 Mar 2013
I love this poster and it brings back some amazing memories of a much loved programme. Some amazing lines, great quality poster and just need a nice frame for it!

The Night Circus
The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern

4.0 out of 5 stars intriguing, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
The Night Circus lures you in as there is no blurb and it's a mystery, a creatively written book where you're taken on the journey of the night circus from its conception to the end of the challenge where Bailey takes over.

I loved the detail of the different environments and settings, my imagination ran wild and the way the different characters interacted and were connected. The only downside for me was it did feel superficial at times, I felt you didn't get deep enough into the character or situation. Personally it was a niggly feeling.

Official Movie Guide (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)
Official Movie Guide (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)
by Brian Sibley

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back to Middle Earth, 2 Feb 2013
I'm so happy that Peter Jackson has returned to Middle Earth because he did such an amazing job on the Rings trilogy. This behind the scenes book is great because it covers different areas of the film making, from costume and make up to sets. The make-up for the dwarves and the hobbits is amazing± The whole production was outstanding and this book demonstrates the amazing work.

Its a must for those interested in the production of the film and film geeks

The Edinburgh Dead
The Edinburgh Dead
by Brian Ruckley

3.0 out of 5 stars Heebie jeebies!!!, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Edinburgh Dead (Paperback)
The book was good in places and the black magic creeped me out no end! The book does capture the time well, especially with the antonymy classes and I'm guessing the body snatching was everywhere at the time. I won't be reading it again as black magic creeps me out and gets under my skin.

Safe Haven
Safe Haven
by Nicholas Sparks

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Safe Haven (Paperback)
Another beautifully written book, with the subject matter sensitively handled.

Safe Haven is the captivating story of a lady who's trying to outrun her past from her abusive husband, who is in complete denial about his behaviour and attitude and thinks its everyone else. Katie settles in a town and becomes involved with a shop owner and his two children but the serenity of her new found freedom cannot last forever and the story closes after a shocking event and surprise twist.

Nicholas Sparks fans - you will not be disappointed! it's one of my firm favourites because of his sensitivity towards the subject of spousal abuse and the way the abused feels and reacts (which is observed by the love interest)

The Devil Wears Prada
The Devil Wears Prada
by Lauren Weisberger

4.0 out of 5 stars fun to read, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Devil Wears Prada (Paperback)
A great book about relationships, what someone will do in order to advance their career. It's a great idea for a book and the author has done a fantastic job creating the characters, the relationships between the characters and their stories intertwining.

Andy wants to get ahead in the world of journalism and in order to do this she takes personal assistant job for Miranda Priestly - the editor of the world's most fashionable and fabulous magazine. Great, if you know about fashion but unfortunately Andy is like me and doesn't get fashion... Mishaps and mistakes left, right and centre but a great journey for Andy, nonetheless. It did make me wonder how far would I go in order to get ahead.

If you watch the film and read the book as well, please read the book first but it doesn't matter too much as it is one of the best book to film translations I've come across. There's just a few bits nipped out but it doesn't take away from the film.

The Hobbit Official Calendar 2013
The Hobbit Official Calendar 2013
by Danilo
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 10 Jan 2013
I love the hobbit, as a book and thoroughly enjoyed the film and the calendar is brilliant. great pics and there's information throughout the calendar about some of the characters

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9