Profile for doesmynamematter > Reviews

doesmynamematter

Etymotic Research HF5 Portable iPhone and iPod In-ear Earphones- Black
Etymotic Research HF5 Portable iPhone and iPod In-ear Earphones- Black
Offered by S&W-Group

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good separation and isolation - great IEMs !, 18 July 2010
I have owned Sennheiser PX100, CX300, Ultimate Ears Super Fi Pro, Denons IEMs 700something, Grados SR60. Now I own a pair of these and I am extremely happy. Unheard clarity and separation. It is so easy to follow the individual instruments, the heights sound just great. There is enough bass for me, even without equalizer tweaking. I listen to rock, metal, ska and classical music. Even the radio moderator's voices sound better with these...

The only problem is that moving the wires results in noise (microphonics), badly...the shirt clip helps a bit but is a bit annoying and does not solve the problem 100%. I guess that is the price you pay for such excellent sound isolation. I cannot hear when someone talks to me, and I do not blast my ear drums with ridiculous volume. They just have the best isolation I ever came across.

Because of the microphonics I deduct one star...but these are truly great, great headphones. Side note, they are very very light, which is nice too.

I am using the foam tips, the triple flange silicon one sound a bit better, but I have to insert them very deep and it starts to hurt after a while (I have got very large ear canals, so they go in very deep). The glider tips would be great, but they are bit too small for me. I ordered some Comply Tx100 foam tips to improve comfort, the Etymotic foam is quite rough and gets itchy.

Do yourself a favour and get a pair...you will not regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2011 12:26 AM GMT