Profile for yogi_brrr > Reviews

Content by yogi_brrr

yogi_brrr

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World: 75 Dairy-free Recipes for Cupcakes That Rule
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars dont buy it, 3 Oct 2011
I have made 5 cupcake recipes from this book and only 1 was successful (hence the score of 1/5). The one that worked well was the chocolate cup cake recipe (which I downloaded for free off the internet and which led me to buy the book). This was probably the best choc cake I have ever tasted. Pity I cannot say the same about the other recipes. For some reason, the recipes that took yoghurt, did not work well at all and the cakes sank ("Green tea" and "low-fat vanilla" cakes). I tried the lychee cupcake recipe which I had high hopes for as it was the creation of somebody called Cheryl Porro (?) - apparently she is the cupcake queen or something. The recipe called for 5 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds, which made the cakes feel more like muffins, rather than cakes. Also, the addition of 1.5 cups of white sugar made this a really unhealthy option !
The book itslf left alot to be desired : not all recipes included a photo of the finished product (which you kind of expect from a cupcake book). Note to publisher : if you left out all those pointless "arty" photos (eg, close-up of a sauce pan handle - believe it or not, I know what a saucepan handle looks like ! Credit me with some intelligence) then maybe you could have included some photos of the cupcakes...
If I had to sum up the book, I would say it was overrated, unreliable and unhealthy (your head will be banging from the sugar-rush).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2012 6:35 PM BST

Easy Vegan (Cookery)
Easy Vegan (Cookery)
by Ryland Peters & Small
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars yummy !, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Easy Vegan (Cookery) (Paperback)
This is a great book for people who like to experiment and who love good, honest food. I can't bear vegan cookbooks that rely on "mock-meat" substitutes. I say, if you're going to go vegan, just embrace it ! This book showcases fresh and natural ingredients, without relying on all those nasty meat/dairy substitutes that really dont taste like the real thing anyway.
The book is beautifully presented. Every recipe is accompanied by a color photo of the finished dish.
As I write this, I am eating the paella dish from this book, and it's LUSH !! :O)
The only negative I could think of was that some (not all) of the dishes were not very original and seem to turn up in pretty much any veggie cook book, ie, hummus, gazpacho, imam bayildi. These recipes have been done to death. Done. To. Death. Also, I would have quite like to have seen a nice cake reccipe.

Sewing Machine Basics
Sewing Machine Basics
by Jane Bolsover
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars must-have for beginners, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
This is such a great book for those beginning to sew or have very little experience, like me. The book is arranged into "workshops" where you are shown various techniques using both diagrams and detailed instructions. You then get to put your new-found skills into practice by attempting a project, which is exactly how I like to learn.
The projects are attractive and useful : there are 2 cushions (one simple, the other more complicated with a zip and piped edging), an apron, a bag, a scarf, a roller blind, a pair of drawstring trousers, a skirt, etc.
What impressed me most about this book is that the publishers have not skimped on ink - the book is absolutley bursting with gorgeous colour diagrams and photos.
I would not hesitate to recommend this book.

Casual Living
Casual Living
by Judith Wilson
Price: 13.59

2.0 out of 5 stars not particulary inspiring, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Casual Living (Hardcover)
This book basically features alot of rather messy-looking rooms that not many people would want to copy in their own homes. I will be returning this book.