Profile for shakespeare's sister > Reviews

Content by shakespeare's ...

shakespeare's sister

Page: 1 | 2
It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD]
It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zoe Wanamaker
Price: 5.63

5.0 out of 5 stars murderously funny in an innocent way!, 19 Nov 2013
I have not laughed so much in ages! Watched this film late at night and immediately came on Amazon to order it as know my family will love it! Great fun low budget film! Great cast! Very silly plot, wonderfully acted.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 8:59 PM GMT

Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling: Revision Workbook (Letts Key Stage 2 Success)
by Rachel Axten-Higgs
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful for new KS2 sats revision, 12 April 2013
I have just bought this book to help my Yr6 daughter revise for SATS. English SATS have changed this year to include a new specific paper on spelling etc. As there are no official past test papers for them to practice, I thought this could be handy. It also comes with a very useful internet link to a free downloadable example SATS paper with a marking scheme so your child can experience a test after practising. I would not usually bother with test revision/workbooks etc but this book has proved invaluable in helping my daughter with the trickier areas of grammer and has helped her understand some trickier concepts such as clauses and subordinate clauses etc whilst reinforcing her knowledge in other areas. We have now complated about 3 chaptes of the book and she is is quite happy to do them for about 15-20 mins a day (long enough so far to do one chapter).The best thing is I can see he confidence increasing as she is beginning to grasp some of the things that she was finding difficult in class.
The book from what I have read so far could do with a little more expanding on spelling rules to learn but there are plenty of useful sections on learning strategies etc

Only regret with this book is that the publishers have written more books in this series for the other areas of English (that on reading this book I would have purchased) eg reading etc that are not due to be published until after this years SATS in June!!!!!!!Thank goodness though they got this one out in time!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 10:19 AM GMT

Christmas Crafting In No Time
Christmas Crafting In No Time
by Clare Youngs

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous and inspirational book!, 2 Nov 2012
This is SUCH a lovely book! Even my children are inspired by it and are nagging me to begin something! Many of the ideas are quite simple yet very pretty and the templates provided in the back are excellent and could be adapted for other projects too.Many of the creations can be made from inexpensive and easily available materials. Several of the ideas have a scandinavian look which is simple yet beautiful. I shall def be making several projects for Christmas and shall simplify others for the children to make.There are also some food gift ideas.
Chapers included are;-

DECORATIONS (incl Advent pocket calendar, paper scandinavian horse garland, embroidered stockings, papier mache baubles, embossed folk felt heart +several others)
CARDS AND GIFT WRAP (incl button and paper flowers, Russian doll cards, layered tissue paper reindeer cards +4 others)
COOKING FOR CHRISTMAS (incl iced snowflake cookies, sugar mice, fab gingerbread spires, crystallized ginger+ 4 others)
GIFTS (incl simple vanilla sugar, gift wrapped soap, little felt mice, winter throw, teacup candles , embroidered dala horse + 3 others)
TABLE DECORATIONS (incl scandinavian card tea light lanterns,christmas crackers, v.pretty yet simple embroidered table runner,Lovely mexican Tin horse candle holders (made from foil)+ several others.

Hope that helps!

Mollie Makes Christmas: Living and Loving a Handmade Christmas
Mollie Makes Christmas: Living and Loving a Handmade Christmas
by Mollie Makes
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars could be a lot better, 2 Nov 2012
Have to say a pretty little book but with not enough content. I did not find much inspiration in its covers but perhaps if you can knit and crochet you will find more of the content useful. I think there are approx 19 ideas, with 6 being knitting /crochetting projects (crochet reindeer, granny sqare garland,baby bootees,santa crochet mince pie,bottle and carrot kit, fingerless gloves (which are quite nice project), ribboned cushion.
I think though that a much MUCH better book is 'Christmas Crafting in no time'. It has 50 different ideas and a few very inspiring and simple designs complete with all the templates at correct size.The ideas are very similar to Molly makes, several Sandinavian type designs too, but a whole lot more of them than in this book and in my opinion much lovelier.

The Light Between Oceans
The Light Between Oceans
by M L Stedman

5.0 out of 5 stars Will be a classic!, 18 Oct 2012
The best book I have read in a very long time!
A perfect book for any book club but particularly one made up with parents!
Very well written and both beautiful and haunting. I was unable to pick up any other books for a while after reading this as didn't want to leave it! I defy anybody not to be in tears after reading the last few pages!
A very very moving story that conjures up all sorts of questions about right and wrong and takes the reader into new territory emotionally.
The book is SO well crafted too in that the detail put into the wider characters is such that a seperate novel could be written about many of them. The planning and the intertwining of stories is almost Agatha Christie like in that all loose ends are neatly tied up and expertly weaved to reach the central event.Brilliant writing and a must read!

The Snow Child
The Snow Child
by Eowyn Ivey
Price: 8.18

3.0 out of 5 stars lovely story BUT I have been spoilt by another, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Snow Child (Paperback)
This a lovely story based on one of Old Peters Russian tales (my fav fairy tale book when i was a child). It is written beautifully but perhaps a little slow moving. I read this just after reading 'The light between the oceans' (ML Steadman) which is on a similar theme of a couple unable to have children living in a beautiful place. However the similarity stops there as I think that this novel although lovely in its own right does not compete with 'The light between Oceans' which is simply in a different class of what will be a literary classic.
What I did love about this book though was its beautiful descriptions of life in Alaska and the sense of wonder and awe at nature that these inspire in the reader. An enjoyable read and I am sure the start of great things from this writer .

The Story of Holly and Ivy
The Story of Holly and Ivy
by Rumer Godden

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 18 Oct 2012
This is such a lovely story and a real Christmas classic. I read it with my daughter when she was about 8-9 years old and she LOVED it! The story captivated her imagination and stimulated lots of discussion.If you have a little girls of this age I would def recc it, but is a lovely story to read aloud to to a slightly younger girl too (prob though recc for junior age group). We borrowed our copy from the library but just ordered it now so we can enjoy it all over again this Christmas with her little sister! Enjoy!

Cluefinders Year 4 Adventures (Ages 8-9)
Cluefinders Year 4 Adventures (Ages 8-9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Year 4 cluefinders fantastic!, 8 Aug 2012
I cannot praise this series enough! My 3 children absolutely love it and beg for extra computer time to play it. Fab when consider that they are learning so much and it is reinforcing Problem solving skills (one of those tricky areas most kids struggle with). The learning activites are rewarded by an exciting cartoon strip. As you progress up each level you unlock another piece of the exciting story so the incentive is there to solve the tasks to find out what happens next. We now have all 4 (3,4,5, and 6) of these and only wish there was more in the series! This is such a great way of keeping their brains ticking over during the summer holidays.
Reccomend also the 'Ed alive' programmes 'Volcanic panic' and 'Baggin' the dragon' for maths practice during term time. All of these programmes have really helped my children to improve and grow in confidence particularly in maths.

Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
by Sophie Dahl
Price: 4.86

5.0 out of 5 stars healthy fresh tasting recipies, 1 July 2012
I have to confess to not having watched the tv series as totally put off by reviews at that time. Now I certainly regret it! I picked up this book and glanced through it one day whilst killing time whilst out shopping and instantly found it appealing.
I have now had this book only a couple of weeks and already cooked several different recipies.
As a busy mum it is a joy to find a cookbook without a huge list of ingredients that offers a new choice of healthy family meals and/or quick meals for us after children in bed.
I made the Cinnamon roast peaches with vanilla yoghurt this morning as a special treat for a weekend breakfast, my children absolutely loved it as did we all. So simple to make and yet so delicious!Amother personal favourite so far for a quick light supper for mum and dad is the Spinach and Barley soup which is warm, nourishing and guilt free!
For a family it is sometimes necessary to double some recipies as they feed only 2, but this is easily done. I just annotate recipies as I make them so I remember quantities for next time!

The Secret Ingredient
The Secret Ingredient
by Sally Bee
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars the secret of a fab cook book!, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Secret Ingredient (Paperback)
Excellent book! So good to have a book on the shelf with lots of family friendly recipies that are not loaded with cream or cheese!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the Chicken risotto parcel recipe, so easy and even my fussiest enjoyed it. Just bought for friend now!

Page: 1 | 2