Profile for Abbo > Reviews

Abbo (London)

The Squirrel that Dreamt of Madness
The Squirrel that Dreamt of Madness

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense, you have to read this!, 28 Dec. 2013
This story is wonderful. A true story, it is about so many things: having the passion to follow your dreams and become the person you're supposed to be - even if that means being homeless and sleeping rough in a London park on the way to becoming an author, as Craig Stone is now, and who will be a name more and more people read, know and love. It's also about society's hierarchy and how harsh it is to be at the bottom, although it gives much food for thought on this, and a conclusion that it's better to be free than be a robotic unemotional suit going through life with closed eyes. It's about the insane and the inane, the rules that pervade our small worlds, and the unconventional. The book writes all this in its own way, and in the beautiful rhythmic style that I loved in the author's sequel to this, Life Knocks. There are also farcical qualities to this story, loads of laugh-out loud moments, and the farce that it builds up to at the end is sheer brilliance (and it actually happened which is insane!). I'm now a big fan of Craig Stone's writing style and stories, simple as that. I look forward to another one, and urge anyone who's not read Life Knocks or this one to read them. These books are in my all-time favourites.

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain

4.0 out of 5 stars Yep, some magical moments, 10 Oct. 2013
What every young family should do! Very touched by some moments in this, especially between Ben and his father, and with his children. And the toothbrush!

One Day
One Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: One Day (Kindle Edition)
Just beautiful and awesome, melancholic and full of meaning and love. Wonderfully written story, now one of my favourite books.

The Humans
The Humans

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent read!, 31 July 2013
This review is from: The Humans (Kindle Edition)
This is quite simply a brilliant book. It will stay with me for a long time. Fun and insightful. I'm glad to be alive and it reminds me that life likes me being alive! And that we're okay, us humans. Definitely recommended.

* relentlessly me * - A memoir of an extraordinary friendship
* relentlessly me * - A memoir of an extraordinary friendship

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly inspiring, 29 July 2013
It really is not going too far to say this book is a life-changing read. It's about life rather than death. I am recommending it to everyone I know, or in fact meet. Makes you think about life and realise what's really important. Also, very funny in places in the memories of fun times these two friends had together and also the parenting moments the author writes about so well. If you've lost someone close to you, this book will enchant and comfort you. But if you're struggling to work out where you fit in with your peers, your countrymen, on this planet, in this universe... then you must read this. It's not self-indulgent, it's not depressing - it's page-turning and, ultimately, uplifting. It's a unique book, but in ways so much definitely on a par with The Humans by Matt Haig, Road To Rouen by Ben Hatch, A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen, The Scent Of Dried Roses by Tim Lott, and Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. Cannot recommend this beautiful book enough.

The Way I Tend To Be
The Way I Tend To Be

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 May 2013
Excellent from Frank Turner as always. Can't think of one of his songs that I don't love, tunes and words always utterly brilliant!