Profile for A Modern Prometheus > Reviews

Content by A Modern Prome...

A Modern Prometheus (London, England)

Blood Music (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Blood Music (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Greg Bear

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but the science is pure fantasy, 21 May 2008
I was intrigued by the ideas presented in the the original novelette that was later extended to produce this book, but found I had to suspend my disbelief throughout which rather spoilt the experience for me.

This is the story of the engineering of complex 'intelligent biochips', their incorporation into single cells and the account of the runaway-train scenario that ensues.

The scientific theory put up holds no water at all, but it must be taken into account that it was written in the early 1980s when the study of molecular genetics was in its infancy. There is simply no way that a single cell could have a 'brain' consisting of DNA, RNA and/or ribosomes- they are coded information (DNA and RNA) and machinery (ribosomes) for translating that code into proteins. They bear no comparison with the multiple input-output system that is the neural circuit and the billions of nerve cell interactions required for consciousness and independent thought.

Whilst there is no fear of genetic material or individual cells gaining a 'mind of their own' in the future, I think the author's ideas were certainly pertinent in relation to nanotechnology, nanomachines and their potential dangers.

A thought provoking read, but now a little dated.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2010 10:35 AM BST

Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings
Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Mar. 2008
Don't listen to the hype. For such a great band expectations are very high but regrettably this album is at best mediocre. I'm sad to say it but this is one of their least accomplished albums- where are the hooks and gemlike songcraft of yesteryear? It's not that the album is bad, it's just that it's simply unremarkable. I think the real acid test is to ask yourself- would any of these tracks get on to your personal 'Best of Counting Crows' playlist? I'm not sure I would add any to my favourites.

[My favourite CC tracks in no particular order: Round Here, Mrs Potter's Lullaby, Butterfly in Reverse, Amy Hit The Atmosphere, Miami, Omaha, A Long December, Hangin' Around, American Girls, Mr. Jones, Hard Candy, Rain King, Holiday In Spain, Raining In Baltimore, All My Friends, Black And Blue, A Murder Of One, Why Should You Come When I Call?]
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2010 7:25 PM BST