ARRAY(0xb0e486a8)

K. Foster

The Instant Chief Bridesmaid's/Maid of Honour's Speech
The Instant Chief Bridesmaid's/Maid of Honour's Speech

5.0 out of 5 stars A masive help, 12 Mar 2012
I was so nervous about having to do a speech at my best friend's wedding as I hate public speaking, but this little book really helped to put me at ease. The structure he provides for the speech is really helpful and there are lots of tips on how to keep calm. Essential reading for any maid of honour!

The Instant Hen Night/Bachelorette Party Planner
The Instant Hen Night/Bachelorette Party Planner

5.0 out of 5 stars So useful!, 12 Mar 2012
When my best friend asked me to be chief bridesmaid for her I was over the moon with excitement, that is until I realised that the success/failure of her hen party would all be down to me! Luckily, this little guide provided me with everything I needed to know to keep the hens happy. From fun activities for the night to ensuring the bride makes to the wedding, he really has thought of everything - a really useful little book.

Raffles: Bowled Over
Raffles: Bowled Over

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy follow-up, 11 Mar 2012
A worthy follow-up to Raffles: The Gentleman Thief, this sequel contains an even greater number of literary and historical references for the discerning reader to admire and enjoy. The brisk and light hearted tale (told by the ever-nervous narrator Bunny Manders) provides portraits of carefully drawn characters and greater insight into the ever indomitable Raffles. Definitely worth a look for fans of the original stories and recent converts alike.

No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan
No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan
by Ben Anderson
Price: 13.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic and Thoughtful., 3 Mar 2012
If you enjoyed Patrick Bishop's 3 Para or Sebastian Junger's War then you should enjoy No Worse Enemy. The action is dramatic, the argument thoughtful. Although there have been a number of books on the Afghan conflict No Worse Enemy brings things up to date - and the book provides a new take on things by having a British journalist spend so much time with the US Marines (as well as UK troops). No Worse Enemy paints a bleak past, present and future in regards to the war in Afghanistan - but the book is worth reading because of its honesty.

History Today - And Tomorrow
History Today - And Tomorrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and engaging, 27 Feb 2012
A polemic composed with ambition and scope. History Today editor Paul Lay argues with insight and charm for the important role that history has to play for the individual and wider society - and warns that we neglect the subject at our peril.

The essay covers many issues concerning the study of history at present, from arguments over whether historical knowledge should necessarily dictate public policy, to his own suggestions for the manner in which history should be taught in schools.

His exasperation at `the emphasis on utilitarianism' both in schools and in wider society is one that I'm sure many other humanities students will share, especially in these financially focussed times. What is the point of having fourteen year olds learn about medieval monasticism in the stately courts of Europe? - Lay gives a persuasive answer. Most persuasive of all, Lay argues that the study of history is valuable because it civilises us, by telling us `what it means to be human' - and who could argue against the importance of that?

A Hero Of Our Time
A Hero Of Our Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Haunting, 26 Feb 2012
This novel may be seen to be a celebration of a canon of European Literature (especially in regards to the philosophy and literature of the 19th century). The author deftly weaves quotes from Goethe, Hume, Byron, Nietzsche and Kierkegaard into his dialogue and narrative. And I duly found myself haunted by some of those quotes - and the fate of the book's protagonist - after I finished reading the novel.
Although I thoroughly enjoyed and admired this book it perhaps falls short of wholly being a classic. The author does not maintain the quality of his writing throughout the text and occasionally the narration can slip into seeming too glib but these may be seen as quibbles rather than major flaws.
The plot is strong, if uncomplicated, and the whole book may be seen to be held together by the enigmatic central character Robert Fischer. Love him or loathe him, one is never bored by him. And, although out in public, I still nearly cried at the end.