Profile for Mr. Philip Hackett > Reviews

Content by Mr. Philip Hackett

Mr. Philip Hackett (Cambridgeshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
PhotoZoom Pro 5 (PC/Mac)
PhotoZoom Pro 5 (PC/Mac)
Offered by hixxysoft

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says very well. Almost certainly better than your favourite graphics program!, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: PhotoZoom Pro 5 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
Impressed with this software. I'm not aware of any other software that can up-scale an image with quite such good results. What details are not there in the first place it can't add, but it seems to algorithmically detect the shapes of objects and give good clean edges after an up-scale, which makes a big difference. At extremes, the results perhaps look a bit more like a painting than a photograph, but for up-scaling 200-300% I think the results are fantastic. You can download a demo to see how it does for yourself, but I would certainly recommend taking a look. It's got a batch mode which means you can just leave it resizing a whole load of images while you do something else, basic cropping and rotation options and some nice presets that do a good job of getting rid of jpeg artifacts. There aren't mountains of features, it really just does what you'd hope, so the user-interface is quite easily mastered.

I did notice that I couldn't drag an image file from Windows explorer straight into the program, I did seem to have to browse to it using the Open option, so that's perhaps a minor improvement they could look at. It also strikes me that the algorithms in this program could be well used to upscale DVDs to high-definition to good effect. I imagine it might be possible to abuse the batch image resizing mode to achieve this goal with some effort, but wonder if a video rescaling feature would have been a good move too.

All in all, though, it does what it says well. If you're thinking of blowing a photo up to jumbo size and want it to look good afterwards, then this would probably be a good way to do it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch Tablet - White (ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz, 16GB, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.0)
Offered by Gadget Heaven

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Android experience, for a price, but where's the USB and HDMI ports?, 24 Dec. 2012
A nice little Android tablet. The on-screen animation is smooth and slick, although after loading it up with apps mine isn't doesn't always animate quite as flawlessly as it did. Still very nice though. As a rule you're never left hanging around for it, it's a fast little mover, and can keep up with whatever you're doing with ease.

The supplied pen seems to be more precise than some other tablets, and slides tidily in the back. The nib isn't especially soft, but I've not noticed any scratching on the glass that would concern me. The tablet comes with Photoshop Touch installed, which isn't anywhere near as full featured as the full desktop Photoshop, but is actually quite a nice bit of software in its own right.

The inclusion of a micro-SD card slot is smashing, and gives you a place to store MP3s, videos and extra apps. It wasn't easy to find information on the maximum size of SD card it could handle, but mine is working fine with 32 gigabyte card. I get the impression that it may be able to handle perhaps twice that, though.

The tablet has an infra-red transmitter built in and Smart Remote software installed. The software's quite configurable, although I've only managed to get it to provide the basic functions on most devices. I'm not sure I can see this feature being one that will get regular use by most users.

The tablet's multi-screen functionality is interesting, but seems to be only supported by a selection of the apps that come pre-installed. I'm not aware of any third party software that makes use of this ability. Realistically, it's probably another feature you will mostly not use.

I think I came across comments that the build quality is a bit flimsy, but personally think it's completely adequate. I wouldn't recommend playing frisbee with it, but with reasonable care (and if you're wise a suitable case), I don't think any harm should come to it.

The front-mounted speakers are a genuine plus, as you can lay it flat on a sofa or carpet without the sound being muffled.

What's not great about the tablet is the absence of an HDMI port. To my mind this a poor show on the part of Samsung. At this price, an HDMI port should be a given (many budget models have them). There's also no USB port (although you'll probably be able to find an adapter online if you want one). If you need an HDMI port, Samsung's EPL-3PHPBEG HDTV adapter will do the job, as long as the tablet remains plugged in while you use it!

All in all, it's a great little tablet, but is probably a little overpriced. The screen -isn't- a fancy Apple retina equivalent. Having to spend extra on a messy HDMI adapter is poor, and even a single USB port might've given the opportunity to use a USB hub and plug some stuff in. For the most part, if you're happy to spend the money, it buys you a very good Android experience, but you should probably make sure you've explored your other options before you fork out.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 7:15 PM GMT

Samsung HDTV Adapter for Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Galaxy Tab 8.9 / Galaxy Note 10.1 / Galaxy Tab 7.7 - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, 24 Dec. 2012
The main reason I'm writing a review of this, is that when I was looking for an HDMI adapter for my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, I was struggling to find a product that was clearly marked as suitable for the job. I emailed Samsung, who weren't very helpful, and in the end ordered one of these, just crossing the fingers that it was compatible. If you're in the same boat, here's the good news: It absolutely works with the Galaxy Note 10.1, just as you'd hope. For the sake of utter clarity, the model number that is working for me is the EPL-3PHPBEG. Go for that and you should be fine.

The adapter itself gives the impression of being good quality and works well. You plug your tablet's mains power adapter into it, and then plug the HDTV adapter into the tablet itself. You can then plug a full-size HDMI cable into the HDTV adapter, the other end into your telly or monitor and you're done.

Aside from the fact that it sits there dangling messily out of the bottom of the tablet (when the tablet really ought to have had an HDMI port built-in in the first place for the price), the main problem is that the adapter doesn't work unless it's plugged into the mains. So if you want to use HDMI, the tablet has to be plugged into a wall socket. As long as that's not a problem for you, you should be happy with it, though.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2013 8:40 PM BST

Three and Out [DVD]
Three and Out [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mackenzie Crook
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and emotionally engaging - chances are good that you'll like it., 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Three and Out [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of those films that I keep coming back to, although it was certainly at its best the first time I watched it. The comedy's there (not in bucket-loads, but plenty enough), but I also found it very moving. It's perhaps not entirely realistic at all points, but that doesn't stop it being a very good little film.

I would certainly recommend it, and reckon it's far more deserving of your attention than the average flick.

Microsoft® .NET Framework 1.1 Class Library Reference Volume 7: System.Windows.Forms, System.Drawing, and System.ComponentModel: System.Windows.Forms and System.Drawing v. 7 (Pro-Developer)
by Microsoft Corporation

1.0 out of 5 stars I seem to recall - next to useless., 9 Sept. 2011
Now it's been a long while, but I seem to recall ordering this book for work in the hope of a bit of extra in-depth information on the class library. When it arrived I was stunned - it was pretty much identical to the limp documentation Microsoft provide in the online help. So, aside from being easy to flick through, it was incredibly disappointing and a total waste of money.

LG KS360 Etna Sim Free Mobile Phone - Blue
LG KS360 Etna Sim Free Mobile Phone - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Mines been generally okay, 19 Oct. 2010
I've had mine for, ooo, probably a year now. I've not had a huge amount of trouble with it "just turning off", although it has happened occasionally. I have had to replace the battery, but I think that was about a tenner off ebay. The QWERTY keyboard is fabulous if you're used to putting up with predictive text and all that business. The naff side to the QWERTY keyboard is that if you're a fast typist, once your message gets to a certain length you have to slow down your typing or it starts putting the characters in the wrong place in your message. In short - the software's a bit trashy. In my opinion the main downside with this phone is the software: It's generally okay but there are bugs in there that even a small amount of testing would have shown up. Another fun one is when you mark messages for deletion and then ask it to delete them, it does so (albeit a little slowly) and afterwards, shows you the message box, where it has failed to delete quite a lot of them! You just have to mark them again and ask it to delete again...

Another problem I've had, and I can't tell you whether this is Tesco's mobile network having a problem or the phone, is that when I call people up, sometimes I get pure silence for about ten seconds. When I do get through, the person on the other end is a little confused to have received a silent phone call. This is annoying with voicemail too, as I always miss the first half of the first message as it's replayed. As I say - could be Tesco's, rather than the phone. Maybe someone here can enlighten me?

I've not been able to get the USB side of things to work with my PC at all so far, but instead have been using a Micro SD card with the phone, which works very well and gives you plenty of space for MP3s, videos or whatever you might fancy. MP3s can be used as ring-tones which works for me.

The camera is handy for a bit of snapping when you've not got a proper camera with you, but is no replacement for a regular compact camera. Oddly, this phone -does- have some touch-screen stuff going on, but it's only ever used to show a numeric keypad to allow you to dial numbers without sliding out the QWERTY thing. I wonder if they could've done more with it really, but what's there works fine.

For me, this is an okay little phone, but the software bugs let it down quite a lot. And then when I visited the LG web-site and downloaded their generic updating software, the tragic application that showed up really made me wonder what on earth was going on in LG's software divisions. And there didn't seem to be a software update. I suspect my next phone with be a Blackberry or one of those other phones that are clearly very inspired by them - you might do better with one of those yourself if you've the extra pounds to spare.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2011 11:51 AM GMT

Invaders Must Die [CD+DVD]
Invaders Must Die [CD+DVD]
Offered by encorerecords

4.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year? Yes, probably., 1 April 2009
Whenever The Prodigy release a new album, I'm always intrigued to see what direction Liam's taken it in. I'll confess, for me, there's always the hope that he'll not overdo the distortion and that his hip-hopish/ravey/breakbeaty roots will come through as well. His first album Experience doesn't really touch on rock influences or use distorted sounds, but it -does- show him to be a creative and pleasantly twisted musician with a skill for making energetic, up-tempo numbers. For me, even on the later albums, which in a lot of ways have a very different sound, it's this creativity and energy that keeps my interest. The whole "Keith Flint is dangerous" thing, while not even vaguely convincing, sort of works, but it's really all about the music. So I'm pleased to report that this album is just what The Prodigy are good at - energetic and musically very competent. Yes, there's distortion but it is used effectively and Liam's wisely dipped into some cheesier synth sounds, breakbeats and vocals, which adds a certain freshness and a little relief for the bleeding ears.

My first listen to the CD was at a moderate volume, more as a background track. I didn't come away that excited by what I was hearing and to be honest was a little baffled - the sound is quite different to the last album and I didn't quite know what to make of it. The final track (Stand Up) in particular was a complete mystery (although Liam was obviously stepping into new territory, which I figured is generally a good idea). Later I gave the album my full attention and a good dose of volume, and it was at that point that it clicked. It's an album that might make you drive rather faster than you ought to. It's the album that you might play a little louder than anyone who respects their ears ever should. It's energy packed and interesting. Prodigy doing what they do best then.

If there was anything to criticise about this album, it might possibly be the sub-Aqua standard lyrics. On the other hand, The Prodigy's strength has never been in it's sing-along lyrics or their ability to communicate deep life truths. Perhaps the lyrics simply ought to be taken as a little tongue in cheek or simply a bit of fun? And why not? A more legitimate winge might be that the cardboard packaging is really no way to look after a CD and DVD, but heck - it's not hard to take a back up and use those instead. (It might even be legal one day!)

So, after a couple of weeks of listening, I've concluded that this is a winner. And quite a big winner too. It may not be quite the knock-out punch that Experience was, but it's an excellent piece of work, and if you've enjoyed previous albums, then it's really too much of a risk not to buy this one - you'll almost certainly love it. Liam and the boys ought to give themselves a big pat on the back. And then get cracking on another one please...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2009 12:44 PM GMT

Electric Pioneer: An Armchair Guide to Gary Numan
Electric Pioneer: An Armchair Guide to Gary Numan
by Paul Goodwin

1.0 out of 5 stars Misguided, 3 Oct. 2007
"An Armchair Guide to Gary Numan"? Armchairs aren't into Gary Numan. I know a few. It's all about cushions with them. Gary Numan's the last thing on their minds.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2008 1:17 PM BST

Don't Be Cruel
Don't Be Cruel
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty close to faultless, 30 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Don't Be Cruel (Audio CD)
Obviously it sounds like the time it comes from, but really - there's not a bad track on this album. Okay, so I grew up with it, maybe I'm biased, but I can still enjoy listening to it now in 2007. Give it a play or two, and chances are you'll agree. Anyone else noticed the artwork glitch on the cover?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 5:30 AM BST

The Mighty Boosh Live [DVD]
The Mighty Boosh Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Mighty Boosh
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as the TV series, 15 Jan. 2007
This review is from: The Mighty Boosh Live [DVD] (DVD)
As other reviewers have already said, unfortunately this isn't really as entertaining as the TV series itself. Don't get me wrong - it's not utter trash - just that your money is better spent on buying the first two series if you haven't already. I went to see the live show twice, and it was a great night out (espcially as the cast were dead friendly when doing autographs etc.), so it's possible I'd already worn it out before I got the DVD, but it does rely on a fair bit of recycling of the TV material or at least alluding to it. There's a pleasing number of extras on the DVDs which are probably as fun as extras ever get. Oh, and yes - the bad language and crudity are sometimes a bit much. All in all, hopefully it'll tide us over until series 3 hits our screens, but it's not quite the treat that the series 1 and 2 DVDs are. Oh, they really are very, very good. Make sure you get them won't you?

Page: 1 | 2