Profile for Martin Jurca > Reviews

Martin Jurca

Journalism
Journalism
by Joe Sacco

5.0 out of 5 stars Somebody ordered it, somebody did it, and somebody tolerated it. And all are guilty., 3 April 2015
This review is from: Journalism (Hardcover)
"Somebody ordered it, somebody did it, and somebody tolerated it. And all are guilty."

"Someone leans over and says, In America when someone dies, you cry. Here we have a party."

"If you work for the Americans, the Mujahadeen will kill you; If you work for the Mujahadeen, the Americans will kill you; And if you stay home, you won't earn any money."

"When African immigrants arrive here, they are welcomed by detention for up to a year and a half before being released to open centers, where they can come and go as they please."

"When the day of reckoning comes, there will not be enough lampposts for the traitorous bastards."

"Arsonists have targeted the homes or property of those considered sympathetic to the immigrants, including journalists, Jesuits, and a lawyer."

"In 2002 Malta forcibly returned more than 220 Eritreans; they were immediately imprisoned on arrival. Many were tortured, and some died from their mistreatment."

"When residents saw he way paying some of them to clean the facility, they intentionally threw garbage on the ground. The more cleaners were employed, the more it became dirty..."

"Big people. That's a euphemism for those who call the shots in the village, those who perhaps aren't so much worried that we'll glimpse the shameful poverty here as get an inkling into what a wonderful business it can be."

"Suvanti says she works for 20. Does she know that the minimum wage is 100 rupees? What is the point knowing it? Men make 100 rupees, women make 20 rupees. How does it make a difference if I know?"

"The women (and children and even men) go to the fields where the rats are, and we collect the grains that they store in their holes, and we bring them here. We go there every day."

Cuba My Revolution HC
Cuba My Revolution HC
by Dean Haspiel

4.0 out of 5 stars He really believes democracy! Coke? Ham sandwiches? Chiclets or M&M's?, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Cuba My Revolution HC (Hardcover)
“Look at that crowd. Columbia has never been open to the public before. He really believes democracy!”

“As soon as possible, I shall take the rifles off the streets! Arms for what when elections will be called in the shortest time possible?”

“He is right. The crown can feel it. He has no personal aspirations.”

“Keep an eye on the neighbors? Isn't that spying?”

“Fidel has closed the brothels and put the prostitutes to work as bank tellers. They don't know how to count, and give the wrong change.”

“The school is full of dead bodies. Use them as your pillows.”

“I want Cuba for the Cubans. I fought for a...”

“...communist country? The Russians are everywhere. Their women don't know how to walk in high heels and don't wear deodorant. They also wear silly babushkas while they drive those filthy garbage trucks. What kind of country is that?”

“Leaving Cuba is not easy. The regime makes you quit working as soon as you apply for a Visa even if it takes years to get it. An inspector inventories your belongings. When you leave all bills must be paid, your house left fully furnished, and your car turned in to the police station. Money is tight, it's almost impossible to leave.”

“I have been wanting to sleep with you since you were a child. Anytime you need some cash, you know you can come see me... but don't get greedy with your daddy.”

“Our peasants would not understand if we were to treat men and women alike.”

“Coke? Ham sandwiches? Chiclets or M&M's?”

A Child in Palestine: The Cartoons of Naji al-Ali
A Child in Palestine: The Cartoons of Naji al-Ali
by Naji al-Ali

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't learn anything from this incredible one-sidedness, 23 Sept. 2012
I am a big fan of Joe Sacco's work. His graphic novel - Palestine - was my introduction to Palestinian question. Because of this, I was very glad to find Naji al-Ali's book, which was endorsed by Joe. Unfortunatelly... It was a mistake...

1.) This is only collection of pictures by Naji al-Ali accompanied with few sentences to explain what is actually (or metaphorically) happening on these illustrations.
2.) There is no insight, argument, history, or logical path which leads you to the conclusion of this particular comic strip.
3.) Incredible one-sidedness. United States, Great Britain, France, United Nations, Israelis, Zionist and Arabian elites are definitely the bad guys.
4.) Palestinians are abolutely the good guys: "Hanthala proudly declares that he is prepared to grasp his Kalashnikov to find the answers." (Page 24)
5.) I don't even think that this is a pro-Palestinian book. I see it rahter like anti-US (and anti-other things which I mentioned above).
6.) False dilemma (If you not with us, you are with US) + Elites are bad and ordinary people are not only good, but also with us: "Arab ruling elites express their allegiance to the US; the Arab street expresses its concern and love for Palestine." (Page 106)
7.) Jesus! "Jesus Christ, on the cross, throws a stone in support of the intifada." (Page 116)
8.) I am very suspicious of anyone, who claims to speak for others, like Hanthala.
9.) On the ironic note: "Upside down, back to front: rulers of the Arab world argue over who best represent US interest in the region. None of them knows anything - they can't even hold the US flag the right way." (Page 89) - And on this drawing, there is US flag with 11 stripes...

So... I really didn't learn anything from this...

PS: I am amazed, how some people give this book high rating, even if they know that this is absurdly one-sided... What if someone would wrote exactly "same" book, only with reversed conclusions like everything is Palestinians fault and The West is flawless... Would it get the same rating? I don't think so...

The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice
The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice
by Christopher Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Jesus do that?, 15 Oct. 2011
'"There is always the DANGER that we may become ONLY SOCIAL WORKERS or just do the work FOR THE SAKE OF THE WORK. IT IS A DANGER. If we forget to whom we are going it. Our works are only an expression of our love for Christ. Our hearts need to be full of love for him, and since we have to express that love in action, naturally then the poorest of the poor are the means of expressing our love for God."

"I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

"See, this is how we fight abortion and contraception."

All three quotations are from Mother Teresa.

I really like that book wasnt only Hitchens critique, but also include critique from several people who works for her organisation (appreciate testimony of Susan Shields), editor of The Lancet (medical journal) and even testimony of some people who was treated by her and dont want to get back to her "charity," because lack of medical treatment, painkillers and of course - social life.

The book also contains the alternative explanation of "the miracle" by author (cameraman) Ken Macmillan. It was simply new product of Kodak, not God, who makes interior look bright.

Hitchens also participate on the documentary about her named Hell's Angel, which Agnes (according to her own words) didnt see, but she forgave him.

Would Jesus do that? Maybe. But i dont see any evidence that Jesus baptised people who dont want to be baptised, like Mother Teresa and her sisters did...

Quotable Hitchens From Alcohol to Zionism
Quotable Hitchens From Alcohol to Zionism
by Martin Amis

5.0 out of 5 stars Very encouraging to read other authors stuff, 13 Oct. 2011
If you like Hitch, its a must read. Not only that you will have some of the greatest Christophers quotes in one place, this book will encourage you to look up for his old articles about wars, politics, religion etc. and get more detailed view on his opinions and retrospect them.

"In the UK, the Queen is the head of the church and head of the state, as wellas the Armed Forces - a state of affairs that is so ridiculous that many people hardly notice it."

The World Without The Us [DVD]
The World Without The Us [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roy Werner

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but really short, 13 Oct. 2011
Ending of this (by nuclear bomb) seems propagandistic and using too much fear undermine quality of this document.

Also I was surprised, when in Bosnia case author didnt mention Tudjman-Milosevic contract and tell that bosnians were muslims, serbs orthodox, but doesnt mention catholic croatians which takes also part in this war.

And China was little bid demonized.

On the second hand I like that part about middle east, especially focus on the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait (which many people seems to forgot) and mentioning, that Sadam offered cheaper oil to the US.

It is not really detailed, but I know that, when I was buying this. Its more like introductiomn to this question.

My rating is something between 3-4 stars.

Inside Job [DVD] [2011]
Inside Job [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon

1.0 out of 5 stars More like manipulative conspiracy than real documentary, 30 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Inside Job [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Movie tells us that neuroscientist discover that games in which you get money for reward activate same part of the brain like coccaine addiction. Bankers are rewarded by money, so its like coccaine. Coccaine is bad thing, therefore bankers are bad...

But if you know something about anthropologist Helen Fisher, you will know that part of the brain, which is active in coccaine addiction is also active when you are in love with someone... Why movie doesnt say that this part of a brain is connected to love instead of coccaine?

And this is just one example... Some bankers sleep with the prostitutes... Ok, how is it relevant to the financial crysis?

Interviews are badly cut... There is one scene when some "bad guy" asks the interviewer about something and... jump to the next screen... Why I cant see what this clever interviewer responded? No, pictures of skyscrapers would be better! Why is there some advocat of financial industry when he is only allowed few words in the movie? How can I form opinion out of this? These "interviews" are cut in a Ben Stein's Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed way...

PS: I dont think that some bankers arent responsible... But this is just BS!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2012 11:21 AM BST