Profile for Luke Blair > Reviews

Castclear Lawn Worm Cast Suppressant 500ml
Castclear Lawn Worm Cast Suppressant 500ml
Offered by green gardener

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure this works, 4 Oct. 2014
I agree with others here - if anything, it made the problem worse and seemed to create a positive frenzy among the worms with more casts than ever. It also scorched the grass, though that may be due to a bit of clumsy spraying - though I did not use a strong solution.

Just Dance 2014 (Nintendo Wii)
Just Dance 2014 (Nintendo Wii)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good fun., 2 Jan. 2014
Great game for kids and adults alike - so long as everyone is prepared to accept they will look a complete idiot having a go. Also quite interesting to see who actually has got a bit of rhythm in their soul….and who hasn't.

Recommended.

ZOJIRUSHI Stainless steel mug 480ml Dark Cocoa
ZOJIRUSHI Stainless steel mug 480ml Dark Cocoa
Offered by Sukiyaki JP

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, 2 Jan. 2014
More like a thermos flask than a classic traveller coffee mug, but therefore so much more effective. I've got a Trudeau mug which is the more classic shape and is a few years old, and quite good. But this beats it soundly in terms of length of time keeping the beverage hot. Also totally leak proof (unlike any other mug I have tried) and a slimmer size to slip into work bags, so more practical in that sense, too. Only tiny thing I have noticed is that the rather smart, sleek coloured coating has already been scratched in a couple of places (probably zips, getting in and out of bags etc), so if you care about that sort of thing, worth seeing if they do a plain stainless steel one.

The spout is beautifully engineered and easy to use, though the flip up lid does rather obscure your face if you happen to be trying to talk to someone at the same time as sipping your brew.

The top working parts all come apart easily for rinsing - I recommend doing this as soon as you can to prevent it having a permanent smell of coffee.

Highly recommended, compared to other brands/types of travelling mug/container which I have found wanting in some way or another.

Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter cable For Apple Products by Neet® - ( VIDEO + AUDIO converter for Unibody MacBook - Pro - Air - iMac + PC with Mini DP etc. ) * NOTE: Supports new THUNDERBOLT port *)*** WITH AUDIO ***
Offered by Neet Cables

2.0 out of 5 stars Goes on blink after a while..., 29 Nov. 2013
After the initial thrill of actually plugging my Macbook into the plasma and showing a few films had faded, this adapter became increasingly more annoying as it sometimes worked fine, sometimes not, and there seemed to be no predicting when it would or would not. Particularly annoying when the whole family is sitting there waiting to watch a film and no amount of fiddling with lead, turning macbook or TV on and off, will fix it.

So I have now spent £40 on a Belkin minidisplayport to HDMI cable. It's worked first time so far, so let's hope it stays that way. In perhaps the most oft-used phrase on Amazon, "you get what you pay for."

WD Elements 2TB USB 2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive - Black
WD Elements 2TB USB 2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars 1TB good - 2TB bad, 23 Nov. 2013
Had this two years and, unlike my 500GB and 1TB drives which I have had longer, it's started to play up - doesn't mount sometimes and loads very slowly, if at all. Since I want to use it as a double backup to be extra secure, I will be buying a new 1TB drive!

I agree with other reviewers that WD seem OK so long as you stick to the smaller models, or at least 1TB max.

Men's Windbreaker Super Strong Folding Umbrella
Men's Windbreaker Super Strong Folding Umbrella
Offered by Brolliesgalore

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and pleasure to use, 16 Oct. 2013
Having for some bizarre reason spent years buying those rubbish cheap umbrellas you get on the high street and in some reputable chemist stores, and not surprisingly seeing them last only a few months before breaking in some way (usually one of the struts is the first to go) I finally hit upon the brilliant idea of using Amazon.

I really don't think you can complain about the price, having still got my full size James Smith umbrella which cost me £50 - now that's an expensive umbrella. Frankly under £20 for a proper foldaway umbrella that just feels so much better made, can seemingly take any wind, and is solid and dependable to use, is a very good price indeed. I love all the extra mechanism they have engineered into the struts too - a mini marvel of engineering - and haven't yet had the canopy detachment others report, after a few months. It is a little heavier than most foldaways, but that's kind of what you are paying for. More metal means more weight but also more strength.

Still, let's see what a full British winter does to it....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2013 1:35 PM BST

Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E3 10000mAh Portable Charger  External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E3 10000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody useful, 11 Sept. 2013
Never really thought about the point of a spare battery, until my iPhone kept running out whenever I was out for the day, or, in the worst case, trying to GPS my movements on a London-Brighton cycle ride - I lost half the journey.

This is a great piece of kit. I'm no physics expert (hated it at school), but it seems to work on the principle that if you charge it up for hours (eg overnight), it produces charge after charge after charge.

Most strenuous test to date - lent it to my 15 year old daughter for Latitude - she and her friends used it all weekend, and it still came back with a charge or two left (and in one piece).

Good price too.

Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio Case for iPad 2/3/4 - Carbon Black
Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio Case for iPad 2/3/4 - Carbon Black
Offered by 3B-IT Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Ultrathin, 11 Sept. 2013
The Ultrathin is great, but I did find I wanted a gel back cover to give the iPad a bit more protection, which means cutting off the corners so it still fits in the slot. And then my wife inadvertently spotted the weak spot - she dropped my iPad, it landed on its corner on our tiled hall floor, and the screen had an elegant crack from one corner to the other.

One £125 screen repair later, and I discovered Logitech had come up with this clever new keyboard - surrounds your precious iPad completely, still provides a keyboard, and in fact does not allow the iPad to jump out of the groove at embarrassing moments (tube journeys, e.g.). Same amazing battery life.

It is true the 'texture' of the keys takes some getting used to, a bit like typing on those rubber keyboard protecters you can get (which I put on the MacBook for the kids). And it is also quite a heavy case. But that's the price you pay for higher grade rubber and better protection. There are also some pretty cool covers, but when I bought this only the black/cream version had come over the water from the US.

No regrets after a few months.

Shure SE315 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Clear (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good first experience of Shure earphones - or perhaps not, 15 May 2013
When I first bought these in April 2013, I wrote this review:

I've now progressed from some upmarket Sennheiser buds (MX90VC - remember them?), to Ultimate Ears Superfi 3s, to now my first pair of Shures, the 315s - and am not disappointed at all. Although the leap from Sennheiser to UE was big, particularly as I started using Comply foam tips with the UEs, I didn't expect such a leap again but, at nearly double the price, it is true what others say about the sound quality. It is very, very good.I also now use Spotify and have moved from 'standard' to 'high quality' streaming/downloading, but even factoring this into account, the Shures just sound better (my local files are still the same quality so I can compare more fairly on these).More basically, the UE's started wearing out after 2 years or so where the cable pushes into the earpiece and, possibly as a result of tension in this area, a slither of plastic actually broke off, requiring a rather unsightly fix of superglue and black insulating tape. The Sennheisers also broke apart at the cable join after 3 years and, in those days, very few had replaceable cables.The way the Shure cable detaches is much more sophisticated (clickable/rotatable) and, as a detachable cable fan, this is a feature worth paying for. The Shure iphone controller cable you can buy separately seems better so far than the UE-compatible one - simply a better manufacturer I think - though it is also more expensive and by the time you have bought this with the 315s, you are looking at £170 or so.Finally, as a foam tip convert, I would also say the Shures are a much better fit. Whereas the UEs stick out and slightly forward from the ear, relying pretty much on the extent of insertion into the ear canal (and the over-ear cable) for stability, the more angled L-shape of the Shures means the body of the earphone sits back neatly in the outer cavity of the ear, as well as having an over-ear cable. In fact, you more have to 'prise' the Shures from your ears, as against simply pulling out the UEs.Hope this is helpful. I also like that Shure's offer a very clear, differently priced range - the 215, 315, 425 and 525 - so if you feel it's just too much to pay £200 or so, you can buy the same concept for less.

HOWEVER, as of 5 June 2013, my right earpiece has for no apparent reason (after 7 weeks only it might as well be brand new) stopped working - or at least, only produces very faint sound if you turn the volume right up - the left earpiece is then deafening. Not very impressive and, reading other 1-star reviews of the SE315s and other models, Shure do seem to need some sort of product quality control here, or some design flaw looked at. I have emailed the supplier (not Amazon but Advanced MP3 Players) to enquire about a replacement. Having been a bit rude about my trusty old Ultimate Ears (see above) I now feel sorry for them, and hey presto, am back using them again for the moment. Hmm. Not what you expect from a £130 pair of earphones....

Update two - the supplier did thankfully and without question replace these with a new pair straight away and I have not had any further trouble - have added two more stars again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2013 3:23 PM BST

7dayshop Universal Bluetooth A2DP Stereo Audio Transmitter Adapter With 3.5MM Jack Plug - 10m Range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, quick, works, 3 Mar. 2013
I agree with other reviewers here - this seems to be a standard unit which lots of people sell with different branding, or bundled with various other bits of kit, either car related or otherwise. Arrived quickly, does what it says on the box, very simple to use. I have just ordered another so I have one permanently in the car glove box and one to use around the house. At £17 why not?

Update a few months on - still pleased, but am confining to the car - have a Minx Go for the house instead now. The only drawback with this unit is it has a relatively short battery life. Also it's a shame they don't have a way of distinguishing the transmitted bluetooth identifier for each unit - if you have more than one, it is tricky to work out which one to select on your phone when connecting....So I've dropped it by one star.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3