Profile for K. Canner > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Spy Lover
The Spy Lover

5.0 out of 5 stars Not some simple romance, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Spy Lover (Kindle Edition)
I am not one for romance novels, but I was drawn to the book after reading the description, and the historical setting. This is not a simple romance, this is a well researched, beautifully written book

I finished this book back in April and immediate wrote this on Goodreads:

** spoiler alert ** Somehow I don't think I'll forget how I felt as I read the last fifth of this book, but I want to write now as I finish it in case I do, so if my thoughts seem a little jumbled they are.

The ending of this book, I was blown away by the language used. Left almost breathless by the strength of feeling between the main protagonists, the prose was so rich so real so overwhelming. I am simply shell shocked.

Brilliance (The Brilliance Saga Book 1)
Brilliance (The Brilliance Saga Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good twist about a familiar subject, 20 Aug 2013
Okay, so the concept is familiar; X-Men, Heroes, Misfits and so on, but so what.

The gifted or abnoms are your equivalent of child prodigies or those gifted children that can multiply millions together but can't remember what they had for breakfast, but there are far more of them, 1% of the population since 1980, and their talents are far more than just being able to play chess grand masters off their boards. Imagine the ability to read peoples thoughts just by looking at them and hiding in plain sight just by knowing how to follow the pattern of others. I thought that by taking something that was familiar and turning it into a political and social thriller made this book stand out.

We as a race, fear change, we fear difference and it is these differences that have caused some of the worlds bloodiest conflicts. Taking this concept Sakey has delivered an excellent thriller, despite some predictable story threads. Also the fact that the main character, Cooper, is doing what he's doing for the people he loves, rather than a cause grounds it in reality.

Looking forward to the second book in the trilogy.

Big Maria
Big Maria

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of friendship, hope and faith, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Big Maria (Kindle Edition)
I love, love, loved this book. It's a story about faith, hope and friendship and is a wonderful book.

The first chapter introduces you to Harry, clearly one of lifes loosers. The way he is introduced does not paint a pretty picture, and I think I actually muttered "gross" when I read it! Ricky and Frank, the two other protagonists, aren't exactly blessed with good luck either and the friendship they form is an unusual one, based on unusual circumstances. However the friendship they form is a pure one and together they go on a quest. A quest that brings them hope.

The faith that I refer to, is not always faith in God. I am not a religious person and although one of the characters has that faith it never felt preachy, the two others have faith in their quest and their friendship and to me that is a stronger and more precious faith.

This book brought me close to tears and made me laugh out loud, I bought it on a Daily Deal and am so glad I did.

The Colonel
The Colonel

2.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Colonel (Kindle Edition)
Maybe more 2.5.

Read through a book club I joined recently, and it is always good to expose yourself to books you would not normally choose yourself.

However, this is not an easy read. I found it difficult to follow as the narrative skipped from past to present, real and imagined and between characters, so that made it hard to work out who was describing events and when they were happening. I would find myself re-reading pages to make sure I knew where I was. It was also relentless and very claustrophic, which was probably the intention of the author in that he uses the constant rain to create a very atmospheric book.

Some of the prose and descriptions were beautiful and I highlighted a couple of paragraphs because they struck a cord, the writer is clearly very talented. I just didn't really enjoy it.

Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf 2) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf 2) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable follow up, 3 Dec 2012
Maybe not quite a 4 star book, more of a 3.5 as it was above average but not great!

I loved the first book, The Last Werewolf, it was clever and well written. This is still well written, but something didn't quite work. I'm not sure if it was the increase in the number of characters, Talulla herself is a great character and her story arc was brilliant, but there just seemed a bit too much going on.

Enjoyable though and glad I read it.

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files Book 2)
Fool Moon (The Dresden Files Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Dresden, you rock!, 3 Dec 2012
I do like the Harry Dresden books, this is the second I've read so far (I'm being good and reading a series in order for a change!). You're given more insight into the main characters and the relationships between them, whilst being treated to a supernatural yarn, this time werewolves (hardly a spoiler when the title is Fool Moon!)

Great read, something you can really get stuck into and finish in a couple of days between reading more sizeable and serious tomes!

Proporta Ted Baker Leather Case Apple iPod (iPod Classic 80GB / 120GB) - Black & Cranberry

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 1 July 2012
I have dropped my iPod far too much recently, so thought I'd best invest in a case for it, as it will be significantly cheaper than a new iPod! I am very pleased with my purchase, it has enough protection for a dropper like me and is a very good quality and stylish product.

Hats Off To The Bull
Hats Off To The Bull
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: Hats Off To The Bull (Audio CD)
I can't remember how I heard about Chevelle, I think it may have been all the way back in 2002 whilst listening to online radio. They quickly became one of my favourite bands, and I have to keep an eye on Amazon new releases and Wikipedia to find out if there is any new material as they are not hugely popular in either the UK or Norway, where I now live.

The riff on opening track of Face to the Floor is powerful and a brilliant album opener and I personally heard it and thought, wow, I think it is enough for most fans of the genre to buy this album on hearing that allowed, I do not think they would be disappointed if they did. Followed by Same Old Trip, it sets the tone for the albumthis is one of the strongest album openings I've heard in a while. The album is full of brilliant riffs, chorus's you can sing along to at the top of your voice, music to pound the streets to, but it also has its softer melancholic moments and this gives the album great balance. Petes voice has been compared to Maynard Keenan in the past, but over the last few albums his voice has become more reognisable as his own as it has matured.

Brilliant.

Mercury Falls (Mercury Series Book 1)
Mercury Falls (Mercury Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, thought provoking novel, 29 Jun 2012
I'm not a religious person,I'm a scientist I believe in evolution, not creation, but I'd probably say I was more agnostic than atheist. Admittedly the main reason I purchased this book was because it was a Kindle Daily Deal and cost me 99p. However I'm glad I did!

This is a very clever book and when the prologue made me giggle, I thought I was onto a winner. I was right. On the whole the book is well written with good characters, the middle part of the book was weaker and seemed to drag a bit after I raced through the first third. Thankfully it picked up again towards the end. I would recommend it, but I would recommend approaching it with an open mind. If you're at all religious you may be offended by the idea of the angel hierarchy just being yet another bureaucratic establishment bogged down in paper work!

Neverwhere
Neverwhere

5.0 out of 5 stars So different, so other worldly, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Neverwhere (Kindle Edition)
Maybe more of a 4.5, but I felt the need to round it up. This book is unlike anything I've ever read before. I have previously read Stardust by Neil Gaiman, and it feels the same as that, the whole sense of real, and possible, but not quite believable.

The world of London Below is richly realised and the different tribes unique and with their own agenda. I loved the interaction of the four main characters, I loved the viciousness of Mr Croup and Mr Vandermar and that their employer and their agenda wasn't that obvious to begin with.

I do understand the poor reviews and recognise that this may not be everyones cup of tea, however I really did thoroughly enjoy this book and would highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2