Profile for Martin Peck > Reviews

Content by Martin Peck

Martin Peck (Reading, UK)

AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Portable Mini Soft Cushioned Headphones with In-Line Volume Remote and Microphone Compatible with iOS Apple Devices - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars They Didn't Fit My Head, 27 Feb. 2015
I didn't even get a change to check out the sound quality of these headphones because, when I tried them on, they didn't fit my head. With both arms extended fully I was unable to comfortably cover both of my ears. I admit I have a large head, but I expect headphones to be able to cope. While trying them on I also noticed that the material that the phones are made from is very noisy as you brush it. I expect this would cause problems if you were wearing them under a hood.

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
A relentless book that I found hard to put down. Brilliant in every aspect, and a book I would recommend to anyone.

Python Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
Python Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
by Mark Lutz

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great pocket reference, 20 Feb. 2013
I'm used to picking up O'Reilly pocket references and finding them to be excellent. They generally cut away the fat around learning a language and give you just the core facts.

This book is not like that.

I found this book to be useless at giving me the core pieces of information I needed to write Python code. Perhaps you need to be at an advanced level with Python before this book becomes useful, but as someone who has a little Python experience, plus 20+ years of development experience in general, I ended up turning to my search engine to fill in the gaps that I had hoped this book would fill.

I found it very difficult to find the things in the index, and when I eventually found the information it was in a format that was difficult to comprehend. It felt much more like a dry and technical language spec than a reference book.

The O'Reilly "Python in a Nutshell" book is much more useful as both a reference and as a learning text.

TeckNet® POWER BANK iEP387 7000mAh Lithium Polymer USB External Battery Backup Pack, Mobile Phone Power Pack, High Capacity Portable Battery Charger (Dual 5V 3.1A USB Output) for Apple iPhone 5, iPad mini 2/1, iPad 5/4 (Lightning Cable not Provided), iPhone 4S, iPad 3/2/1; Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Note 3/2; HTC One, Sensation, Desire C S X, Wildfire S; Google Nexus 7, Nexus 10; Nokia Lumia 920 800 900 N8; Motorola Razr; LG Optimus; Blackberry Z10; Sony Xperia Z - Black (Only one USB Charging cable included, No AC Charger is included)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 29 Jun. 2012
I use this pretty much on a daily basis on my commute home. I charge it once a week then use it to keep my iPhone or iPad alive on the train journey home. It's a solid bit of kit and well worth the money.

The Official Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver Kanto Guide and National Pokedex
The Official Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver Kanto Guide and National Pokedex
by The Pokemon Company

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastically Useful Book, 12 Feb. 2011
My son and I find this book an incredibly useful resource. It has highlighted so many subtle aspects to the game and I'd recommend anyone with Soul Silver or Heart Gold go out and purchase this book.

Although the walk-through aspects of this book are primarily focused on the Kanto section of the game we found the Pokedex and other data incredibly useful while working through the Johto adventure.

If you want to get hours more play out of Pokemon HeartGold/ SoulSilver then go buy this book.

Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter
Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter
Offered by NETWORK LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not as fast as expected, 6 Jan. 2010
The product claims to support speeds of up to 200Mbps. That may be true, but this isn't the speed you're likely to see. I my situation (a typical house) I get around 20Mbps. It's certainly a good connection, and connects quicker than a wireless connection, so it fixed many of my connection problems related to wireless.

In addition, I bought from "logsol" who shipped me some units that came from a BT Vision setup. They were unused, but they were not boxed as the retail product, and they didn't come with any instructions. I got instructions by looking on the BT Vision help pages, but I expected a set of ComTrend adapters in a ComTrend box with all the instructions etc.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2011 6:58 PM GMT

Flight of the Conchords (BBC Audio)
Flight of the Conchords (BBC Audio)
by Flight of the Conchords
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. What more can I say?, 24 Mar. 2009
If you liked the TV series then you'll love this. The TV series follows a similar set of plot lines to this original radio series, but there are enough differences here to keep you entertained and laughing thoughout.

.NET Internationalization: The Developer's Guide to Building
.NET Internationalization: The Developer's Guide to Building
by Guy Smith-Ferrier

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For .NET Developers, 29 Aug. 2006
If you're serious about developing .NET applications then you should read this book to get yourself up to speed on how you might make your apps ready for shipping across the world. Even if you never intend shipping your applications outside of your home country it'll give you an insight into the issues and challenges that you might face should you later change your mind.

The book covers .NET 1.1 and 2.0, showing how the .NET 2.0 Framework make internationalization a whole lot easier.

Developers will get a lot from this book, but it'll also prove really useful for everyone on a delivery team - testers, project managers etc. It will give non-developers an insight into the efforts involved in making an application work in many languages, and will help non-developers plan accordingly.

The book is well written, and very easy to read. It's a good technical book with plenty of good samples and walk throughs.

This is one of those books that all .NET developers should have access to.