Profile for foxy reader > Reviews

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
by Yuval Noah Harari

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant!, 1 Aug. 2015
An incredible and fascinating book. The content is incredibly broad and could be just a confusion of facts, but the author explains so everything so clearly and weaves a compelling narrative around the story of man so that he brings us with him every step of the way. I wish I could have read this when I was at school, it does a far better job of teaching history, anthropology, sociology, psychology, economics and geography than any of the single discipline textbooks we had access to. I can't recommend it highly enough.

How to Build a Girl
How to Build a Girl
by Caitlin Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars Caitlin can do no wrong, 9 July 2014
This review is from: How to Build a Girl (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan both of How To Be A Woman and Caitlin's Times columns and I started this with high expectations ... and then I struggled. I found Johanna too much, too teenage, too 'being kissed is the be all and end all'. But I think I had just forgotten what being a teenage girl is like and when I started to remember - the awkwardness, the not knowing who you are or who you are going to be - I gulped the rest of the book down in two hearty swigs! I loved it! I love Johanna's uncomfortable transformation and what she ultimately learns along the way. I cheered for the invention of Dolly Wilde and I cheered louder for the final third of the book. I was wrong when I started, this is 5 star Caitlin Moran. Is it wrong to have a crush on a brilliant, funny and smart younger woman? Maybe there's a little bit of Dolly Wilde in all of us.

Melissa & Doug 14123 Deluxe Poster Paint Set (10-Colours)
Melissa & Doug 14123 Deluxe Poster Paint Set (10-Colours)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price, 13 Feb. 2011
I bought these paints online after our last art shop closed and was a bit worried about the quality of them. However they are great poster paints and have already created hours of painting fun.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars it shrinks!, 13 Feb. 2011
I bought this at Christmas and it shrank on a 30 wash. Luckily I have a younger son who can wear it but I wouldn;t buy another one.

Northern Girl:1
Northern Girl:1
by Fadette Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional storytelling at it's best, 13 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Northern Girl:1 (Paperback)
I love a good wartime drama on TV and this is exactly that in book form. Set partly in Northern France and partly in Northern England it gripped me from the beginning. I especially liked the bits in Northern England, the family, the dialect, the warmth of the people. It really feels like you are there. I would highly recommend this to anyone who misses the fantastic storytelling of Catherine Cookson. Please write another one I want to know what happens next!

61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14)
61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14)
by Lee Child

5.0 out of 5 stars the best yet!, 23 Mar. 2010
Love it! Love it! Love it! But what a cliffhanger! I've heard his new book is coming out in autumn. Anyone know if this is true? I need it now! Jack, we love you!

Paul O'Grady: The Biography
Paul O'Grady: The Biography
by Neil Simpson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the real thing!, 13 Oct. 2008
OMG! If like me you have been watching Paul O'Grady talking about his autobiography all year on his show - DON'T BUY THIS BOOK! It has been written by some journalist, it isn't his book and it's not even very good!!!! His REAL BOOK is called AT MY MOTHER'S KNEE and is brilliant! It's Paul o'Grady through and through. If you love Paul, you'll love it. Make sure you buy the right one!!!

Country Pursuits
Country Pursuits
by Jo Carnegie

5.0 out of 5 stars racy pacy and lots of fun!, 14 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Country Pursuits (Hardcover)
Hilarious romping great fun. Recommend it to your girlfriends, they won't be disappointed - mine weren't!

Relentless
Relentless
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars buttkicking fiction!, 13 July 2007
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this and LOVED it! Crazy, crazy start and it just keeps going! Couldn't have a more apt title! Haven't read his other books, but i def will now!