Profile for John B > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Magnifying Crafts Glass Desk Lamp With 5X & 10X Magnifier With 40 LED Lighting
Magnifying Crafts Glass Desk Lamp With 5X & 10X Magnifier With 40 LED Lighting
Offered by zjchao

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate illuminated magnifying glass, let down by long delivery time., 7 Nov 2014
I bought this for my 97 year old mother to help her to sort out her medication.
The magnification of the main part of the lens is just about adequate, but the higher power section helps with the smaller print on labels.
The light is bright enough.
The cable is a bit short, so I've had to sort out an extension lead.
The item is not fitted with a UK plug, but an adapter was provided.
The main problem was the very long wait for delivery, as the item was actually shipped from the far east.

Jimi Hendrix: A Brother's Story
Jimi Hendrix: A Brother's Story
by Leon Hendrix

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique perspective of the life of a rock legend, 9 Sep 2014
After recently meeting Leon I decided to buy his book, and was rewarded with a story that is different to most other books about Jimi.
A unique way to learn more about the life of someone who was arguably the greatest ever guitarist.

Opticron Binocular Tripod Mount for Binoculars to 50mm OG
Opticron Binocular Tripod Mount for Binoculars to 50mm OG

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it's job., 5 April 2014
This mount does exactly what I bought it for, and it's great for holding my binoculars steady while stargazing or looking at other stationary objects.

Hama UV Filter UV-390 (O-Haze), 58.0mm - Coated
Hama UV Filter UV-390 (O-Haze), 58.0mm - Coated

4.0 out of 5 stars Late delivery, but otherwise OK, 5 April 2014
First, the filter.
It fitted perfectly, and does what it says on the box, so no complaints about that.

Next, the delivery.
Despite being in a rigid plastic case, placed inside stiff plastic packaging, this item was then placed in a 23 x 16 x 23 cm box, with lots of crumpled paper as padding, for delivery. I was expecting it to be in a padded envelope which would have fitted through my letterbox.
On top of this it arrived 2 days after it's expected delivery date (which was already 2 days after the arrival of the lens ordered at the same time). We were lucky that someone was in when the item was delivered, half an hour later and the item would have been returned to the Royal Mail delivery office for me to collect.
This item was sent by Royal Mail 24, which Royal Mail claim to aim for next day delivery, but without a tracking facility. The item was shown as 'Dispatched' two days before it's expected delivery date, so I'm not sure what went wrong here.

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens
Offered by Audio_Shack

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I was expecting, 5 April 2014
First impressions of this lens are that it is of excellent quality, and suits my needs.
My Nikon D3200 arrived with a 18 - 55 mm lens which is just right for indoor use, and wider angle outdoor shots, and this 55 -300 mm lens complements the standard lens with it's ability to zoom in on further objects.
OK, there are 18 - 300 mm lenses available, but as an amateur photographer I couldn't justify the expense of one of those, and the two lenses that I now posses should mean a minimum amount of lens swapping will be necessary.
I have yet to take many pictures with the new lens, and inspect them for quality, but looking at other reviews I doubt that I will have any complaints.

Nikon D3200 For Dummies
Nikon D3200 For Dummies
by Julie Adair King

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than the instruction manual, 23 Jan 2014
This book is set out in a way that you can easily find the features of the camera, and learn how to use them.
You can get the basics quickly, and learn the more complex stuff at your leisure.

I probably learnt more from this in 10 minutes than I did from the manual in an hour.

Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone
Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging toy., 9 Nov 2013
I bought this as part of a first birthday present for my granddaughter, and she seems to like it.

If a one year old likes it, then it does the job.

Olympus Binocular 10x50 DPS-1
Olympus Binocular 10x50 DPS-1

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 9 Nov 2013
These were much better than I expected them to be, and are an excellent choice for all round viewing.
They are light enough for extended viewing, have enough magnification to see things in detail, and have large enough lenses to view objects in poor light conditions.
At this price I wish I'd bought some sooner.

North Sea Texas [DVD]
North Sea Texas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jelle Florizoone
Offered by The Gay & Lesbian Cinema Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching more than once., 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: North Sea Texas [DVD] (DVD)
It's hard to believe that this film had such a limited budget, and that it was the lead actor's first role.
Jelle Florizoone makes a very impressive debut, and I am looking forward to seeing him in many more films. He doesn't need much dialogue, his expressions convey exactly what he is thinking. It's very rare to see so much maturity in a young actor, with so little experience.
The film has a few personal touches for me, it was set in the mid 1970's, not long after I was Pim's age, and going through similar experiences.
I don't think there is a single actor in the film who hasn't given 100%, everyone is believable and engaging. Luk Wyns gives a convincing portrayal as the not very nice Etienne (even Micky, the dog has a go at him). The Pim - Gino - Sabrina triangle is particularly engaging, and I hope all three actors are destined for full careers.
In the featurette about the showing in London, Eva Van der Gucht explains her feelings about playing Yvette, and she is right, Yvette isn't a perfect mother, but she does put her own plans on hold, and does do her best as a mother to Pim.
I rented this film, and after about two weeks I realised that I had to buy it and return the rental copy. I hope I'm not giving too much away by saying that it's a feel - good movie that I watch whenever I need cheering up.
It's good to see a gay movie that doesn't have a sad ending, as Bavo Defurne says, this movie reflects the fact that gay people can lead happy lives.

Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum
Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a single cup of coffee., 19 May 2013
I first used one of these when visiting a neighbour, and was so impressed that I ordered two the next day.
Not only is it handy for making a single cup of coffee, but the insulation keeps the coffee warm for plenty of time.

Page: 1 | 2