Profile for Chris > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Code 46
Code 46
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Original storyline and disturbing plot make for a film that makes me think long after I finished watching, 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: Code 46 (Amazon Instant Video)
Interesting film that explores how scientific discoveries could influence one of the most fundamental of human choices - the ability to choose who we love. Imagine if the day you met your partner, someone walked over to you and arrested you. Your choice was not your own and they were going to medically intervene to ensure it doesn't happen again. Furthermore, any future attempts will be regarded as criminal in intent, and you will be pursued accordingly.

I really enjoyed this film, and it is produced by the guys who made Wargames - United Artists. This is another film of the same high calibre. Well worth a look.

Grave Encounters
Grave Encounters
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Essential parody for fans of Ghost Adventures, 27 Aug 2014
Interesting if rather cliched take of Zac Bagan's Ghost Adventures documentary series. Check out those before checking out this, don't take it too seriously, and you can have plenty of laughs at this as well as scares. Sure - maybe I am weird laughing at a horror - but I don't get those who say it is awful. Everyone seems to expect to be terrified even after they've conditioned themselves to the jumps and jitters intended by these films.

Grave Encounters (see what they did there with "Ghost Adventures"? Geddit? Hahahah!! Ahem....) is nowhere near the top of my horror movie collection (early Halloween and the old Twilight Zone series took gold and silver for those) but it can still kill a few hours - especially when you have Grave Encounters 2 straight after. Man, I love long watches. 24 I watched back to back constantly over several days so I like long sessions.

A Pocket Guide to Psychology for Designers
A Pocket Guide to Psychology for Designers

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridges the gap between two distinct professions, 27 Aug 2014
Insights into how psychology can benefit the web designers was interesting reading for me - even though I do relatively little front end stuff (I work mainly back-end - with databases and server side code). Essentially this is about 50% introduction to psychology and 50% practical tips. Should have been more of the latter though if I am honest. Great book for anyone like myself who is looking to bridge the gap between psychology and web design.

AUDIO TECHNICA ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone
AUDIO TECHNICA ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mid-range microphone, 27 Aug 2014
Excellent quality mic that is accurately priced for its range. Some kind of stand is needed and it would be nicer to have an option of one with it but I bought a decent one for £20 and now my computer desk is beginning to resemble a studio! Good solid build quality and crisp clear recording make this a good mid-level mic

Incursion
Incursion

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking man's AI, 27 Aug 2014
Superb scifi series so far! It is a while since I saw a scifi drama with this kind of scale and budget but the high quality film gets me anxiously awaiting the next episode. It has much in the way of philosophy - in a very AI way - but never slips into the kind of cliches that most films of this type suffer from. All in all - a worthwhile watch!

The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England
The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a walk through Elizabethan England, 24 Jan 2014
History books are notoriously bad at holding the interest of many readers. The are typically a long read, and even If they start out with a memorable event, they all too soon descend into little more than a list of people and dates with little in the way of context. Historians seem to be a dour group who live in a bygone time in an apparent attempt to escape the modern world, and its social heirs and graces such as humour.

However, Ian Mortimer is a witty and interesting writer. He not only has a refreshing way of looking at the past from a contemporary perspective (repeatedly comparing modern England to then) but he also writes with an interesting and factual style.
It is almost like a sense of adventure that I find myself reading about many of the horrors of Elizabethan society. This is perhaps why the book is named such: The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England. This allows us to understand that the writer is not just recounting the data from the past, but he is interpreting the information and giving us an experience of the past.

I've really enjoyed this book. If you have even a passing interest in this time, then I know you will enjoy this book.

Kitchen Craft Master Class Quarry Marble Rolling Pin and Stand
Kitchen Craft Master Class Quarry Marble Rolling Pin and Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly sturdy utensil, 24 Jan 2014
What can you say about rolling pins? They are what they are, and I would have to be a tele-shopping presenter in order to be able to describe the positive attributes of them. However, compared to all the others I saw recently in a high street store, this is by far the heaviest and most impressive of them. I remember how in the old comedy sketches, wives would threaten to beat their husbands around the head with a rolling pin. Those were made of wood whilst this one is made of marble, and even tapping someone's bonce with this would most likely kill or maim them.

It comes with its own little stand, which allows it to take pride of place in your kitchen as a kind of ornamental piece. It is a thing of beauty and much nicer than those basic wooden or plastic ones. We have black marble counter tops so the rolling pin just adds to the kitchen.

The only bad thing that I can mention is that I've seen several retailers selling exactly the same rolling pin using their own brand. There is no maker's mark or label on it, so I can only presume that these are all sourced from the same origin and then sold as their own product. The price is always around the same - just under £20 too.

Jewelry-Schmidt-Collier / Necklace with Emerald / White Topaz Heart Pendant Silver 925 Rhodium-1, 67 carats
Offered by schmuck-schmidt-24

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper build quality and gemstones than illustrated, 24 Jan 2014
I am terrible when choosing presents. Often I wait until the last minute before frantically running around trying to find the right gift. However, this is my secret because almost always Amazon comes to the rescue. However, last year I needed to get a Christmas present for my woman, and having decided that I was getting her a necklace, I found myself scouring the Amazon marketplace.

Enter this Jewelry-Schmidt pendant. I wanted emeralds because those are her birth stone, and after looking at many nice looking ones, I settled on one of the more expensive ones I could find. It was only a few days before Christmas when it arrived, and I ripped open the parcel and packaging to examine this object.

I was somewhat disappointed if I am being honest. The Amazon pictures are limited to show just the front of the pendant which should have rang alarm bells, and when I examined it, I could see that not only were the emeralds very anaemic looking - they were also irregularly set - as though someone had chucked them in using superglue and not much else. In addition, the silver is not very lustrous, and the irregular stones mean that I would have to have professionals clean the pendant in order to avoid disturbing the stones.

In addition, the silver mount is very flimsy, being concave and showing a rough back to the pendant. It would have been better to polish the interior or attach something to hide it. Instead it just makes it look even cheaper. I was not happy but as it was coming up to Christmas, and this was the main present, I packaged it as best I could and after giving her all her other gifts, I handed her this one.

Fortunately, she is an angel and was over the moon that I had got her something else. A pendant that is over £300 isn't the sort that she wants to wear everyday, so we agreed to get a cheap £20 one for everyday use. The thing is, the finish on the piece of high street tack is of a higher quality than the Jewelry-Schmidt pendant!

Stay clear. Jewelry is notoriously variable in quality and just because something is expensive means nothing. Naivé people like myself will often end up making someone very wealthy through buying their expensive trinkets.

Le Creuset 26 cm Cast Iron Square Grillit, Marseille Blue
Le Creuset 26 cm Cast Iron Square Grillit, Marseille Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the sturdiest implements for your kitchen, 24 Jan 2014
Capable of everything including frying, grilling, frying, barbecuing, and baking without losing its new quality, this cookware is a useful thing to have in your kitchen. Le Creuset has gained a lot of popularity over the last few years, being sold in all the quality big name stores such as John Lewis, Lakeland, etc. There is a reason for this. Their products are one of the best that you can get without going to specialist chef's kitchenware retailers.

This skillet - or grillit as it calls itself - is great for preparing anything in. I bought mine for my girlfriend for Christmas after she requested a generic one. I thought I would get her a decent one, but when it arrived she nearly dropped it due to the sheer weight. This is the one bad point about it. The cast iron material makes this almost as heavy as lead, and if you've got weak hands or wrists like my girlfriend, then you may struggle not to drop it. Never a good thing to drop when you have it full of boiling oil!

Yet despite this, I love this pan. Its attractive colouring makes it stand out to guests, and the sheer quality of the build means that if you treat it well, you will get a lifetime of usage out of it. This is the last grillit that most cooks will ever need. It is a little pricey for some people, but those are the people who will buy several replacement grillit pans over their lifetime - ultimately spending more on the replacements than the Le Creuset costs.

A definite addition for all wannabe chef's kitchens.

Real Drum with Light Effects
Real Drum with Light Effects

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful malware disguised as an app, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Real Drum with Light Effects (App)
I love to play the drums. For when I cannot play due to limited access (for example, when I am on the bus or train to work), I like to keep a collection of apps installed on my Kindle Fire to give me that satisfaction.

Unfortunately, the Kindle Fire is poor at multi-channel I/O. Almost all the apps have a delay problem when trying to click something on the screen, then something a split second later. This lag is not important when reading but when trying to play virtual drums, it is terrible. Even the most rhythmic of us will sound like absolute amateurs when trying to tap out a beat. Despite this, I still try them out in the hope that one day something will defeat this hurdle.

Some of the apps out there almost manage it, and even if they don't, they at least give it a good try. Not so with "Real Drum with Light Effects". Not only does it load slow, and play inadequately when more than one drum is simultaneously clicked, but it also has some of the worst default drum samples loaded by default. Instead of a nice standard five piece drum kit, you get a collection of a snare, a bass drum, a splash, a crash, and a SINGLE tom! This wouldn't be so bad if those default drum played the actual sounds that you would expect from those drum descriptions. Oh no - the creator of this app seems to know nothing about drums - as they have assigned electronica samples to the drums.

The worst is still to come. Before you even get through to the drums, you'll be presented with no less than two sets of terms and conditions. These are normal in games, so most people will simply click "accept" as they will believe that the terms and conditions refer to the app itself but this is not the case. Instead, this app will install adware and spyware on your device. This will cause adverts to pop into your device's toolbar, and these will remain long after you remove the RDwLE app.

Frankly - I am shocked that Amazon allow this kind of dross to be sold for their devices. This app should be banned from the app store. Keep well away!!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4