Profile for Spanglish mum > Reviews

The Little Engine That Could
The Little Engine That Could
by pseud. Watty Piper

3.0 out of 5 stars Great motto, only very average book though, 10 April 2010
This story is pretty unexciting and the illustrations too, but my toddler loves it which is what matters. The book's saving grace is the "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" line, which is a great motto for any kid growing up.

Raising Happy, Confident Kids, the A to Z Guide
Raising Happy, Confident Kids, the A to Z Guide
by Jennifer Berman
Price: 9.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it says on the cover, 10 April 2010
This book is more a reference book with general parenting tips than specific advice to boost your kids' self confidence (and happiness). It was boring to read and let's face it, after a hard day dealing with kids you need something pretty dynamic to keep your interest. I much preferred "Divas and Dictators", which is more geared towards behaviour but the author expresses himself much better and the ideas, whilst being aimed at improving behaviour, will also contribute to improving kids' happiness and self-confidence.

Divas & Dictators: The Secrets to Having a Much Better Behaved Child
Divas & Dictators: The Secrets to Having a Much Better Behaved Child
by Charlie Taylor
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!, 10 April 2010
A great book, really easy to read and most of all extremely effective in turning around dodgy toddler behaviour. Totally recommend.

AM PM Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2009]
AM PM Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Bodywisdom Media
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but v similar to Barbara's other DVD, 10 April 2010
Initially I was disappointed to receive this as it looks very similar to another of Barbara Benagh's yoga DVD's (Yoga for Stress Relief), which I love but already have. I was looking for something different. At first glance I saw that most of the PM section is very similar to the Stress Relief DVD, including the setting, Barbara's outfit(!) and there is even repetition of a number of the exercises using the same camera footage. After trying out most of the routines I have started to appreciate this DVD more as there are a number of different length routines, which make it easy to fit into a busy day. Plus I do like Barbara's approach, although the routines are a little too slow-going at times. They are great for winding down though, and the AM ones are also uplifting and invigorating, albeit in a very gentle way. Overall, it's growing on me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2011 6:35 PM BST

Postnatal Yoga [DVD]
Postnatal Yoga [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shiva Rea
Offered by Books2anywhereUS
Price: 8.47

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, but preferred Shiva's prenatal one, 28 Feb 2010
This review is from: Postnatal Yoga [DVD] (DVD)
I loved Shiva's prenatal yoga DVD and was really looking forward to trying this one out. It's ok, but not as great as the prenatal one. The workout is in three main sections with a relaxation at the end. The first section is very gentle, so good for the early weeks, but as soon as you progress you feel that it's a bit slow going, especially when life with a baby (or two) doesn't leave you much free time. I'm not sure if you can just skip into the 2nd and 3rd sections without doing the first one. The other two sections are good, and progressively more challenging. The relaxation section was disappointingly short though. Shiva says you can stay relaxing as long as you want, but the problem is the DVD goes onto the next (bonus) section, thus disturbing the peace a bit. The bonus section at the end shows you some simple stretches you can do throughout your day. This bit is brilliant for the (many) days I don't have time to work out.

Las Manos No Son Para Pegar/Hands Are Not For Hitting (Best Behavior)
Las Manos No Son Para Pegar/Hands Are Not For Hitting (Best Behavior)
by Martine Agassi
Edition: Board book
Price: 4.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Could come in handy... (pardon the pun), 28 Feb 2010
A simple read and easy for my two toddlers to understand. I think these kind of books are great for warding off tantrums on the toddler battlefield and I like that this book is bilingual. However it's not outstanding or special in the language used or the illustrations, hence only three stars.

The Adventures of Jack Lime
The Adventures of Jack Lime
by James Leck
Price: 5.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 28 Feb 2010
I don't normally read young adult books but once I'd picked this one up I couldn't put it down! It's a wonderful, hilarious story that hooks you in and makes you laugh out loud. The eponymous protagonist is an earnest high school private eye, with a bit of a habit of getting into scrapes. Highly recommended for teen/tween readers (or the big kid in you!)

I gave this book to my nine year old niece and she really enjoyed it. She came into my room giggling to tell me about the funniest bits.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3