Profile for Spanglish mum > Reviews

KidYogi  - Yoga for children [DVD]
KidYogi - Yoga for children [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zoe Miku

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 9 July 2013
I like this DVD a lot, but (as others have mentioned) it is a little slow-moving, especially at first. My boys (aged 4 and 5) like it too, although they don't love it because they tend to lose their focus. Positive points: 1) I think it appeals because the kids are treated like adults - no cutesy voices or animations. 2) It's very professionally produced. 3) There are a lot of kids in the video, which is nice, although (negative point 1) there could have done with being more boys. (I think there's only one boy, and my son picked up on that straight away!) Another negative is that it's a long session, nearly an hour if I remember rightly. It would be better if there were an option to pick and choose shorter selections. On the whole though, I enjoy this DVD because I get a workout together with my boys, and I can really feel it the next day (which I can't say for any other kiddy yoga DVDs!)

Five Ingredients, Ten Minutes
Five Ingredients, Ten Minutes
by Jules Clancy

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented, great ideas, 16 May 2013
This book is beautifully presented and very practical. It is taking me a while to get into this, as many of the recipes have just one or two ingredients that I don't have in the house. (But that will just take a bit more organizing on shopping days). Lots and lots of new ideas to try though - I was impressed with the number of recipes. Some of the recipes I've tried are not as nice as they look in the pictures, however, and a few are a bit on the boring side (although probably not when Jules makes them!) Overall, this book has inspired me to be more adventurous when deciding what to cook, and to try new combinations, and that's definitely a good thing. And it's a gorgeous little book to flick through, and very handy for those days when you don't know what to make for dinner and don't have a lot of time. I recommend it. It would make a good present for someone who would like to expand their cooking repertoire or someone who already likes cooking but is short on "quick fixes".

Buddhism for Parents on the Go
Buddhism for Parents on the Go
by Sarah Napthali

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing from Napthali, 16 May 2013
Another great book from Sarah Napthali, beautifully written and full of wisdom. I love the "bite-sized chunks" approach - a page a day is all I can manage to read recently! I strongly feel that the publishers have let Napthali down though, as the whole feel/presentation of this book is kind of cheap and nasty. (All of the other Sarah Napthali books I've got are beautifully presented, but this is an attempt to make a handbag-sized book that really doesn't work at all. I love the idea, but in reality the text is kind of hard on the eye, the size/shape is all wrong and who came up with the idea of putting the title at the top of each page in capitals? Anyone with a bit of common sense knows that that CAPITALS MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING!! Awful!) All in all, a good book, but Sarah Napthali should seriously considering having a word with her publisher...

Windsor 1/4 Size Violin Outfit Includes Lightweight Zipped Case With Shoulder Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little starter violin, 16 May 2013
I was a little wary of buying this violin when I read the mixed reviews. Now I'm really glad I went for it. When it arrived, I thought there must have been a mistake - the box was so light! Then I opened it up and saw the most gorgeous little 1/4 sized violin in a nice-looking case, and I was pretty pleased. This is the perfect starter violin for my young son (aged nearly 6). If you don't know how to tune it/set it up, ask for help from a violinist friend. It's really not hard for someone who knows a bit about violins. Took me about an hour in all to set it up. Initially I had a problem with the pegs slipping, but I made sure the strings were positioned correctly and the pegs were pushed firmly in, and it's no problem now. (You can google these problems for advice - ignore anything that tells you to put products on the pegs though!) Hope this helps anyone trying to decide between this one and other expensive models. A beginner really doesn't need anything better than this for the first few years. I had a couple of cheap violins as a kid until I'd been playing for about five years, when it was worth investing a bit more.

Country Songs for Children
Country Songs for Children
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, fun listening for all the family, 16 May 2013
My family likes listening to this CD in the car. And my youngest son (aged 4) knows all the words to most of the songs after only a few weeks! It's fun and lighthearted music to sing along to - some songs are better than others. We love "I love", "Sneaky Snake", "Barn Dance", "I like to feel pretty inside" and "The Song of the One Legged Chicken"! Really don't like "I wish I had a million friends" - it's pretty creepy!

Songs from Around the World (32 Kids songs)
Songs from Around the World (32 Kids songs)
by CRS Players
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Great selection, poor recording, 16 May 2013
Love the song selection, and my kids like it too, but the recording is pretty awful. It is hard to hear the words to the songs and the whole thing sounds very amateurish - like a school just got a group together and forgot to filter out those kids that sing out of tune! Plus, it sounds like a very British take on all these world songs (just saying!) Having said that, it's growing on me so I'll give it 3 stars (and not the 1 star I wanted to give it when I first played it).

RoomMates Repositionable Childrens Wall Stickers - Dinosaurs
RoomMates Repositionable Childrens Wall Stickers - Dinosaurs

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality stickers, 16 Sept. 2012
Wow! I am impressed with these stickers, and my boys (aged 3.5 and 5) are too. They are gorgeous stickers and made of strong plastic and they restick many many times, which is good because my little "helpers" decorated their room themselves! The reason for 4, not 5, points is that (as another reviewer mentioned) they're all the same kind of orangey colour. They would be even better if there were more variety in the colours. But all in all, this is a fantastic product. Very pleased with my boys' new gorgeous rooms.

NIGHTLIGHTS
NIGHTLIGHTS
by David Fontana

3.0 out of 5 stars It's only OK really., 7 Sept. 2012
This review is from: NIGHTLIGHTS (Hardcover)
I really wanted to love this book, but it's only OK really. I loved the idea of the book, but seriously, I don't get all the rave reviews. My boys (aged 3.5 and 5) really like the story "the dream makers" but they don't like any other stories from the book and refuse to listen to them. The illustrations are rather uninspired and uninspiring. Maybe the book will grow on my boys, I don't know. Probably not, if they won't let me read any of the other stories to them!

Advanced Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises with Answers
Advanced Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises with Answers
by Simon Haines

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I wanted at all, 2 Jun. 2012
I thought this was the grammar reference book, but it really is just the supplementary exercises. I can't quite believe I made this mistake. I thought I was buying a cheaper edition of "Advanced Grammar in Use with CD Rom" just without the CD, which I didn't want. But it's literally a supplementary book, only with exercises -no grammar explanations. Definitely not what I was looking for.

The mistake was mine, (the clue's in the title of the book -duh!) but I thought I'd review this to help steer others away from making the same mistake. This book's got exactly the same cover as its "fuller friend", for goodness' sake!

As for the content of the book itself -if you're looking for a book to practise advanced level English grammar (without any grammar explanations) then it's OK. I'd give it three stars.

Short Circuit: A Guide to the Art of the Short Story (Salt Guides for Readers and Writers)
by Sarah Salway

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll fall in love with the short story!, 2 Jun. 2012
This short story book is more than just another 'how to' book. I'm really enjoying reading it a couple of chapters at a time. I've not finished yet -I'm about halfway through- but already I've fallen in love with this genre. Wow! That didn't happen with any of the other writing books I have on the shelf! There are also plenty of ideas to try and tips from experts. I'm glad I bought this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3