Profile for P W. Thompson > Reviews

Content by P W. Thompson

P W. Thompson "Radiusone" (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK)

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Case, SUPCASE [Heavy Duty] Belt Clip Holster Case for Galaxy Note 4 [Unicorn Beetle PRO Series] Full-body Rugged Hybrid Protective Cover with Built-in Screen Protector (Black/Black), Dual Layer Design + Impact Resistant Bumper
Offered by I-Blason EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Beast of a Case, 21 Oct. 2014
Great case, fits perfectly. Holes for microphones, speakers, front and rear camera, flash/heart rate sensor as well as push fit flaps protecting charging port, headphone jack and stylus holder. Made from a very strong but slightly flexible rubber that feels nice and grippy, but sturdy in your hands. Screen protector is built into front cover which does not effect touch screen or stylus performance and separate belt clip attachment is extremely strong. High quality design.

MaxiNutrition Promax Recover and Rebuild Bars - Chocolate, 60 g, Box of 12
MaxiNutrition Promax Recover and Rebuild Bars - Chocolate, 60 g, Box of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars Good source of protein whilst training, 18 Jan. 2011
I would like to start off by saying that I don't rate most of the products Maximuscle produce as they tend to be very expensive and there are alternative brands that, in my opinion, work better for less. I do use Maximuscle Thermobol and Progain Extreme which are good products if you shop around for a competitive price.

I must admit that when it comes to the Progain Meal bars Maximuscle have created a superb product. I have been unable to find an alternate which offers as good a balance of protein, carbohydrates, fat and fibre without the calories - all of which are important to me in my training. I find the Lucozade Muscle bars are too large and have too many calories and the Promax Diet bars have too much caffeine when used in conjuction with Thermobol.

These are by no means an all in one solution and should be used in conjuction with a protein shake that you like and a good diet and training program. They are ideal in situations where knocking up a shake may not be possible, on the way home from the gym perhaps or if like me you sometimes snack between meals. They don't taste as good as a regular chocolate bar but are more than palatable.

At the time of writing this review this product was available with the Amazon Subscribe and Save, so you should use this facility if you're thinking about purchasing and save some money. You can cancel the subscription at anytime free of charge in your account settings.

York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set and Case
York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set and Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than a gym membership, 14 Jan. 2011
Build quality is excellent, they are a good weight for an individual just starting out weight training. Some users may find the handles slightly abrasive but weight lifting gloves can remedy this should it be a problem. The spinlock system is excellent with rubber collars which prevent the collars from slipping and prevent marking/scratching of the weights themselves.

The selection of weights allow for a lot of variation which is great for the different exercises on the included exercise chart. The carry case is pretty useless as I will never transport the weights anywhere and always have the weights out in the corner of my room.

I have used these weights for 3 months now, 3 times a week (30 min sessions) along with football training, running etc and have noticed a slight increase in my upper body strength. I am now considering purchasing some more weights and perhaps a York Spinlock Bar to increase my collection, they are certainly much cheaper than a gym membership!

One thing worth mentioning is that the included exercise chart has pictures of people using a weights bench, I mimic this by using a chair and/or my bed for certain exercises and they work just as well for me. Just make sure the chair can support you and the weight of the dumbbells you are using.

SANDISK 8GB EXTREME CRUZER CONTOUR
SANDISK 8GB EXTREME CRUZER CONTOUR

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Fast, Flash Drive, 1 Oct. 2010
Purchased this from Amazon about 2 years ago and still works perfect today. It comes with a piece of software called U3 launchpad for which there are mixed reviews.

This software is stored on a hidden partition on the memory drive so that it doesn't accidentally get deleted, but it can be removed quite easily if you do not want it. Just run the u3 software and then a tray icon will appear:

Click on u3 icon -> settings -> u3 launchpad settings -> uninstall -> uninstall u3 launchpad.

Do this and then you will have no problems installing USB applications etc. that seem to conflict with the U3 software.

In terms of read and write speed the device is very fast, it has a slide action to make the USB connection appear so no more lost USB pen lids, and it comes with a little pouch with keyring attachment so that the gloss black and polished metal finishes do not get damaged if you carry it in your pocket like me.

Overall the device feels solid and well made, a little on the large side but this only means you are less likely to loose it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good support to weight loss, 1 Oct. 2010
Purchased these from a High Street supplement store and I have been using them for around two weeks combined with Maximuscle Thermobol, a sensible diet and regular exercise. CLA stands for Conjugated Linoleic Acid.

They do exactly what they say on the label - support weight loss goals and so far I have been impressed, over the course of 2 months I have dropped 7 kgs. Unlike the thermobol these tablets do not have any nasty side effects which people have reported. This particular version of CLA contains a green tea extract which acts as a good antioxidant.

One other thing to point out is that studies have shown CLA can have a positive effect on lowering cholesterol.

I would recommend you take two capsules three times a day as suggested on the label but only after a main meal (e.g Breakfast, Dinner) to get the best results.

Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt,  ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version (CMPSU-650TXUK)
Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version (CMPSU-650TXUK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade from my Dell XPS 375w PSU, 22 Sept. 2010
Purchased this product from another website to upgrade my Dell XPS 420 (375w) power supply unit.

It is running:

Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz Quadcore
4GB RAM
Nvidia GTX450 1GB
2 250GB Hard Drives
2 DVD RW Drives

The unit itself is very a heavy and quality feeling product, with a nice finish. It is extremely quiet, cannot be heard unless you put your ear to it. It has more than enough power for my requirements and would even handle a SLi dual graphics card setup no problem.

Even the power switch on the back of the unit is a luxury I have never had before. The cables are neatly braded and there is more than enough length in them for any case whether mounting at the top or bottom. You may even need to tidy some of the unused cables out of the way like I did to maximise air flow.

The voltage is stable and solid, the unit runs cool and I have loads of 'head room' to add new upgrades in the future without worrying about the PSU.

This unit is a higher price than similar units that offer the same power output however buying a cheaper PSU unit will only cost you more in the long run either in cost of running (this unit has 80%+ efficiency rating) or if it fails and damages some of your other components in the process.

Just check the unit dimensions available in the product overview before purchasing to make sure it will definately fit in your case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2011 11:25 PM BST

Energizer Battery R echargeable Advanced NiMH Capacity 2300mAh LR06 1.2V AA Ref 625997 [Pack 4]
Offered by Go Green Batteries UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best rechargable AA batteries you can buy, 22 Sept. 2010
When it comes to rechargeable batteries, Energizer are the best quality you can buy. Over the past couple of years I have tried many different types including Duracell Supreme 2450mAh, Uniross rechargeable 2700mAh and the older Energizer rechargeable 2450mAh, 2500mAh and 2650mAh.

When trying these batteries in medium and high drain devices such as Xbox 360 wireless controllers, remote control cars, mp3 players, TV remotes etc. I found the Energizer versions always outperformed the others in terms of length of time before needing to be recharged. I also found that the 2450mAh rated Energizers outperformed the higher rated Energizers.

Another thing to point out is that after being recharged about 50-60 times through their usage cycles the energizers kept on giving the same performance where as the Duracells started to die and last only half as long.

Recently upgraded to this newer version of Energizer to use with a new digital camera and I am very happy with how long they last. I have so far used them for about 10 usage cycles and very pleased. They perform well right until the point of completely running out of charge.

One thing to point out out though is make sure that your battery charger accepts Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries before purchasing and don't over charge them as this seriously degrades battery life. You can find an estimated charge time for different rates in the instruction manual with your battery charger, or buy a charger which automatically stops when the battery is charged.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2012 5:02 PM GMT

MaxiMuscle Thermobol Weight Loss and Definition Formula Tablets - Tub of 90
MaxiMuscle Thermobol Weight Loss and Definition Formula Tablets - Tub of 90
Offered by UN Sports Nutrition

5.0 out of 5 stars Take 30 minutes before training for a boost!, 21 Sept. 2010
I was a little apprehensive about trying dietary supplements, but after a couple of months struggling to shed a few pounds after joining a sunday league football team I decided to purchase Maximuscle Thermobol.

Alot of reviewers here have raised concerns about the high caffeine content. I have been taking these for 3 weeks now and have had no problems sleeping, but I have always made sure I take them no later than 5pm so that leaves plenty of time for the caffeine to leave my system. I also used to drink alot of Red bull etc. so I think my body is used to caffeine, but people who are sensitive to caffeine should seek advice before purchasing.

So far I have lost 5 kg (11 lbs) over a 2 month period combining a decent diet with exercise. This product is by no means a miracle pill, but combined with a good exercise regime and sensible diet will help you achieve your weight loss goals and when I say sensible I mean I still eat chocolate and have pizza as a treat every now and then. Also I only run about 4-6 miles per week and have football training once per week.

I have always taken them on an empty stomach, daily at 10am, 2pm and 5pm. The other ingredients seem to work in suppressing the appetite so I have found I no longer snack in between meals when taking them at these times.

The pills are slightly large and I have found a good trick is to take them with a small glass of milk or probiotic yoghurt drink which helps them down a little easier.

They do dehydrate you slightly but this has only encouraged me to drink the recommended 1.5 - 2 litres of water a day.

I am so pleased with the results I am achieving I am considering combining these pills with Maximuscle CLA-1000 and the Promax Diet shakes to enhance the results until I reach my target weight.

Hope this review helps, Paul.

Plantronics GameCom 777 Dolby Open Ear Gaming Headset
Plantronics GameCom 777 Dolby Open Ear Gaming Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Headset, 18 April 2009
Recently purchased the Plantronics GameCom 777 from direct from Amazon. I was looking for a Surround Sound headset for a couple of months as had originally only ever used stereo headsets and wanted to upgrade for multiplayer gaming. After looking at several different products, all around the same price, I decided on the GameCom 777. I am absolutely blown away by how good this headset is. They look the business and the microphone boom can tuck away into the headband when your not using it.

It was easy to setup, I have windows Vista, plugged in USB port on front of PC and the drivers installed themselves, went into Volume Controls, Playback Devices, and selected the USB audio Device.

The sound quality listening to music is intense, the headset doesn't crackle even at high volume, although your ears may ring after a while!

After playing a couple of online games, my online buddies noticed how much clearer my voice was with the microphone.

The surround sound quality playing games such as Counter Strike: Source and Call of Duty is truly amazing, and although I am by no means a sound expert, the difference between normal headphones and these is astonishing. You can hear everything happening in the game world around you, pin pointing enemy footsteps before they even get close to you.

The headset feels robust, hugs your head well, and the ear pieces are well cushioned allowing for hours of play without irritation. I don't know how Dolby have managed to squeeze such a quality surround sound card into such a small USB device, brilliant.

Money well spent. 5/5