Profile for S. Wilson > Reviews

Content by S. Wilson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 87

S. Wilson (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vax Air Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Air Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Price: 289.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Future of Vacuuming, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The majority of the hoovering in our home is done by my husband. Other than the fact it is not my favourite household chore to do I find it a bit of a struggle to do any heavy duty hoovering nowadays as it seems to kick off my arthritis and so I avoid doing any unless absolutely necessary. The problem we have is that our toddler is a crumb monster and wherever he goes in the house crumbs seem to follow him and are left behind wherever he goes plus with having two cats in the house and the majority of flooring being wood or tiles if we leave the hoovering for any longer than a couple of days at a time you can start to see the cat hair tumbleweeds whizzing past.

Our normal vacuum whilst reasonably light in comparison to others we have had in the past is a bit of a fiddle to get in and out of the cupboard plus then all the messing around with unwinding and winding the cord and so I dread having to pull it out and do any hoovering if I am being honest. I can't believe I am even thinking this at the moment but if first impressions of this vacuum are anything to go by then I think daily light hoovering is not going to be such a dreaded task anymore.

The vacuum is extremely well boxed and presented and comes with two LithiumLife Batteries and not just one to give you additional hoovering time without having to wait for one of the batteries to charge. The batteries simply click into place on the front of the vacuum and out again when needed. They then click into what looks like a large camera battery charger for charging. The battery charger lead plugs into the wall socket and the main charger part sits on the side as opposed to on the wall as the unit itself is far too heavy to be supported via the plug socket directly. The battery charger seems to emit a low hum when charging on our charger and I don't know if this is normal or not but it also has indicator lights to let you know the status of the charge. The batteries also have a little button on them that you can press to see what the available charge is in them and this is then indicated by three lights that light up. We haven't expended all of one of the batteries as yet and I have managed to give a light hoover to the majority of the house already.

My one negative is the suction on the nozzle as I feel that this is a bit less than the main brush part of the vacuum along with there is just one brush attachment for the nozzle. The bristles on the brush attachment are very soft so I think it is only intended for light dusting as opposed to scrubbing through your carpets to dig up ingrained cat hair and so we will be keeping our old vacuum for doing the heavy duty hoovering on our stairs and landing as the brush combined with the nozzle power isn't up to the job of doing our stairs in our home I'm afraid. This is the only negative I have for the vacuum as the suction power for normal hoovering seems more than ample it just seems to loose a bit of strength when using the nozzle.

The vacuum itself is nice and light and weighs just 4.6kg and the steering is extremely easy and in fact much easier than our current vacuum which I think holds part of the appeal in how easy it is to actually use. There is a removable filter which you simply rinse under water to clean along with a bagless cylinder which you empty the dust/hair/grime etc from the same as you would with any bagless vacuum. I found it quite hard getting the cylinder to click back properly into place when I removed it and had to sort of bang it back to make it click but I assume this is just stiffness with it being brand new and that this will get easier over time. The brush bar can be either turned on or off so that you can switch between hard flooring and carpet and this is done with a simple push of a button near the power button which I really like as it doesn't mean bending down and turning a dial as with our old vacuum.
The wand or nozzle release and use is a little bit more tricky at first but once you've done it a few times it's really easy. The hose itself is located at the very base and back of the vacuum and you have to unclick it from the main vacuum and then attach this to the nozzle/wand which you pull out of the top of the vacuum. Your vacuum then looks like the top handle part is totally missing if this helps anyone reading my review envision it better but there is a handle at the top of the cylinder that you then use to move the vacuum around. As mentioned above I think the suction reduces a bit when using the nozzle and so have deducted a star from my marking to reflect this but the nozzle is still really good for normal hoovering just not for getting in deep in our stairs.

The vacuum not only looks good but it works really well too and I think the cordless vacuum is going to be the future of hoovering. Not having to mess around with a plug cord may not seem like it would shave that much time and effort off your hoovering but it really does and I am super impressed with this vacuum. My one niggle is the nozzle when using it on stairs but considering our cats spend most of their time camped out on our stairs just behind the stair gate and just out of reach of a toddler and exploring baby's hands I can see why and how are stairs may be more of a challenge than another household. Any questions please don't hesitate to comment on my review and I'll do my best to help and answer as I regularly check my comments but I can confirm that this is one very swish and powerful vacuum and full sized too so no mini full vacuum wannabe.
Oh finally the fact that the vacuum comes with a 6 year guarantee to me is an absolute boon as I have never heard of that long a guarantee on any electrical device.

Henry Hugglemonster Henry Roarsome Scooter
Henry Hugglemonster Henry Roarsome Scooter
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugglemonster Scooter Fun, 21 Aug 2014
My toddler absolutely loves the Henry Hugglemonster television show on Disney Junior and it's the one show guaranteed to make him completely stop what he's doing and gaze with rapt fascination at the television with lots of smiles and giggles every couple of minutes when Henry or Summer sings or does something funny. My son already has a few Hugglemonster toys including; Henry Hugglemonster Talking Henry 25cm Soft Toy, Henry Hugglemonster Talking Summer 25cm Soft Toy and Golden Bear 28cm Henry Hugglemonster Roar Back but when I saw that this was on offer recently for just a third of it's normal price I couldn't resist getting it for him. My son loves this toy and pushes it around over the floor, sofa, television (you get the idea!) in one arm whilst holding his Roar Back Henry in the other he even tried to take it up to bed with him last night.

We have had two of these Roarsome Scooter's now as the first one that arrived was broken with one of Henry's wings half snapped off and by the time we took it out of the box not realising it was already broken the wing had totally snapped off. A quick email to Amazon customer services and they arranged a new one to come out to us which has arrived in perfect condition.

The toy is not motorised but rather is a push along toy however it does say several of Henry's well known phrases when you push his tummy (it takes a LR44/AG13 battery and one is already provided with the toy) such as:-
I hope I get a racing badge today.
Three, Two, One....Blast Off!
Roarsome!
That's so cool!
Hugglemonsters always find a way to make things better.
Hey hey I'm super Henry Hugglemonster!

The toy measures approx 16cm when Henry is on the scooter and Henry can be taken off the scooter to be played with separately if so wished. The product description advises that Henry's helmet is detachable but it is not and is very firmly molded to his head. It also advises that his head is soft molded but it is not and is the same hard plastic as the rest of the toy. These two inaccuracies by no way detract from the toy itself but I wanted to point out that these were incorrect. Henry's arms and legs are fully articulated and so can be moved along with his head which can be turned too.

This is a brilliant little non motorised toy which would make a perfect gift or stocking filler for any Henry Hugglemonster fan although personally I think the full price is a bit over-priced for what it is. My son loves the toy and it was well worth the price I paid for it and I would recommend the toy to others.

Golden Bear 28cm Henry Hugglemonster Roar Back
Golden Bear 28cm Henry Hugglemonster Roar Back
Price: 38.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Roarsomely Huggerific!, 20 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My toddler absolutely loves the Henry Hugglemonster television show on Disney Junior and it's the one show guaranteed to make him completely stop what he's doing and gaze with rapt fascination at the television with lots of smiles and giggles every couple of minutes when Henry or Summer sings or does something funny and so I thought he was literally going to burst with excitement when I opened the box containing the roar back soft toy! My son already has a few Hugglemonster toys including; Henry Hugglemonster Talking Henry 25cm Soft Toy, Henry Hugglemonster Talking Summer 25cm Soft Toy and Henry Hugglemonster Henry Roarsome Scooter but the size of this and it's repeat function have made this my son's new favourite Henry toy. My son has had the biggest smile on his face all day and has been carrying Henry around with him roaring wherever he goes so a definite thumbs up from my son.

My one point I would make and the reason I have deducted a star (as if based solely on my sons reaction it would get the full five stars) is that the product page advises that Henry repeats back whatever you say or roar in his own voice (Henry Hugglemonster's voice) but the soft toy we have doesn't and repeats back in a quite a squeaky voice which most definitely is not Henry's voice. I don't know if we have a faulty soft toy or whether this is meant to be Henry's 'repeat back voice' and it actually shouldn't have been advertised as specifically having Henry's voice or not and so I am going to try to contact the makers to see what they advise. I have double checked it wasn't the batteries and changed them but it is still repeating in a high squeaky voice which is still nice and has my son laughing but I did think it was meant to be Henry's voice. I can confirm that all of the normal phrases work perfectly and are in Henry's actual voice it is just the repeat function that isn't working as it should on ours.

The toy itself is lovely and soft and I can't see any small parts that could come off and be a danger to a baby as the eyes etc are all stitching as opposed to buttons/beads and so other than the battery pack which is in Henry's back and sealed with a screw (after accessing via the velcro opening) I would think that this product is certainly suitable for the recommended age of 10months onwards. The battery compartment is as I have said via a velcro opening in Henry's back and this is also where the on/off switch is. To access the batteries you will need a posidrive/Phillips screwdriver but the toy does already come with some batteries installed. I have measured Henry and can confirm he is approx 34cm tall from the top of his horns to the bottom of his feet.

Henry Roar Back either repeats back what you say or roar by pressing his right hand (to stop him recording you need to press this again otherwise he will keep on recording indefinitely as we discovered) and speaking/roaring to him (his nose lights up and flashes when recording and the just lights up when repeating) or he say's several well know phrases from the show by pressing his left hand such as:-
Am I ready for the roar off? Am I Henry Hugglemonster? Rooooooaaaaaaarrrrrrr!
Roarsome!
Hey hey I'm Henry, Henry Hugglemonster.
And now Henry Hugglemonster brings you the loudest roar ever in the history or loud roars!
Today is truly absolutely huggerifically roarsome!
I'm going for the loudest roar! Roooooooaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr!
Be one with roar! Ha ha!

When he talks whether repeating or saying his well known phrases his mouth moves which my son is fascinated with and keeps trying to put his hands in Henry's mouth.

This is a gorgeous soft and cuddly toy which is perfect fans of Henry Hugglemonster and my son absolutely adores this. I am going to check re the roarback in Henry's voice and will update my review once I have an answer but other than this possible fault with ours it is a fantastic toy.

Monster High Lagoona Blue Shower Room
Monster High Lagoona Blue Shower Room
Offered by net_price_direct
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fintastic Shower Room Set, 20 Aug 2014
Two of my nieces are absolutely Monster High mad at the moment - as with the majority of girls in their years at school. At first glance the Monster High Dolls may seem a little creepy and they are certainly unlike the 'normal' barbie style dolls but I must admit that if Monster High had been out and about when I was little then I would have actually liked dolls (well the Monster High ones anyway) as they are so different and unique plus they are all beautifully made.

I have bought this Lagoona Blue Shower Room set as a present for one of my nieces as she has plenty of dolls but not so many of the play sets. I couldn't resist having a quick peek at the shower room set before wrapping it and I told myself that "this was for purely checking that everything was included that should be....." - oh how I wish I was a little girl again just to play with the Monster High stuff! My one gripe with the set is that it includes a small tub attached to the shower for Lagoona's pet Neptuna (who is a pink piranha) but not Neptuna themselves who you cannot buy on their own. It would have been really good if Neptuna had been included with the set so I shall have to keep looking to see if I can get my niece one.

Dimensions:-
The shower itself is approx 28cm high to the top of the shower head, 10cm approx in circumference when measuring the shower curtain rail and so the Lagoona doll or other Monster High dolls should be able to fit inside as the majority of them appear to measure around 27cm high including heels. The sink stands at approx 27.5cm high and the chair stands at approx 16cm high.

The shower has a little tap/handle on it that turns to simulate the water being turned on, a shell shower tray, a jellyfish shaped shower head, a detachable separate tub for her pet Neptuna to have a wash in, a loofah and a shower curtain which is actually in a nice thick plastic very similar to what one of our shower curtains would be made from. The sink has a mirror with an Octopus surround, shell basin, little shelf on the stand, seahorse and fish shaped taps, fish and seahorse shaped shampoo/showergel bottles and two jellyfish ornaments (sorry not actually sure what these are supposed to be). The chair has tentacle legs and looks like a coral shaped seat with a pink monster high skull on it.

Lagoona Blue is the daughter of The Sea Monster and is 15 years old. Lagoona spends the majority of her time in water if possible so that her skin doesn't dry out and tends to hang out at the school pool whenever she can. This is a really nice little set and perfect for any Monster High or Lagoona Blue fans. Personally I wouldn't pay or say it was worth the full price but at around the half price mark when I bought it I think it is a fantastic little set.

Monster High Lagoona Shower Room (Blue)
Monster High Lagoona Shower Room (Blue)
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fintastic Shower Room Set, 20 Aug 2014

Dimensions:-

Monster High Freaky Fusion Avea Trotter Hybrid Doll
Monster High Freaky Fusion Avea Trotter Hybrid Doll
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster High Freaky Fusion Avea Trotter Hybrid Doll, 20 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first glance the Monster High Dolls may seem a little creepy and the Freaky Fusion range are certainly unlike the 'normal' barbie style dolls but I must admit that if Monster High had been out and about when I was little then I would have actually liked dolls (well the Monster High ones anyway) as they are so different and unique plus they are all beautifully made.

Freaky Fusion is a new range of dolls from Monster High and the new DVD Monster High: Freaky Fusion [DVD] [2014] is due to be released in October this year. During the Bite-Centennial the students travel back in time to learn about Frankie's scaritage but a lab accident from the newly discovered Monster High Catacombs Accessory fuses eight of the students into four new freaky fusions. Can Frankie and the new Hybrid students help her friends return to normal and stop a doomed experiment before it destroys the school--or worse?

Apparently Freaky Fusion has three main doll lines:
A doll line for the four new main hybrids at Monster High; Monster High Freaky Fusion Sarina Von Boo Hybrid Doll, Monster High Freaky Fusion Neighthan Doll, Monster High Freaky Fusion Bonita Femur Hybrid Doll & Monster High Freaky Fusion Avia Trotter Hybrid Doll.
A doll line for four new freaky fusion dolls who are eight current Monster High Students (Lagoona Blue, Jinafire Long, Clawdeen Wolf, Venus McFlytrap, Draculaura, Robecca Steam, Cleo de Nile and Toralei Stripe) who by an accident through a time vortex become fused together thus making four more freaky fusions; Monster High Freaky Fusion Lagoonafire Doll, Monster High Freaky Fusion Clawvenus Doll, Monster High Freaky Fusion Dracubecca Doll & Monster High Freaky Fusion Cleolie Doll.
A doll line for four Monster High Students who are dressed up like another student in response to the events of Freaky Fusion which are Ghoulia Yelps dressed as Draculaura, Scarah Screams dressed as Toralei Stripe, Frankie Stein dressed as Clawdeen Wolf and Operetta dressed as Frankie Stein.

The Avea Trotter Hybrid doll stands at around 27cm tall (this seems to be normal approx height for the MH Dolls). She comes with her top hat headpiece which fits over her ears, a red satiny check jacket with blue ruffled collar shirt underneath which can both be removed (I assume for more costume changes when and if made available later), bracelets, leg guards, a black tail band (can't be removed) and a black belt which doubles as a bridle and reins and fits over her lower centaur half. She also comes with a diary and hairbrush and her arms, elbows, wrists and centaur legs are jointed and so fully poseable. She is able to stand on her own with no need for a doll stand as with other Monster High dolls.

Avea Trotter is the daughter of a centaur (father) and a harpy (mother) and so is half centaur and half harpy. Her dad is a scientist who specializes in researching monster remedies and her mum now works with her dad as his assistant having retired from being an aerial surveyor. Her mum and dad met in the jungle whilst working with Jane Boolittle's dad Dr Boolittle. She is 17 years old and is thought to be a bit bossy by her fellow students and very stubborn which she admits herself. As she is half centaur she loves galloping off anywhere she can and she loves equestrian haunt couture. Avea's favourite school subject is physical deaducation as she loves running but her least favourite is swimming as it takes her so long to dry off.

The doll is beautifully made and very very pretty. There is lots of attention to detail such as the feathers on her wings and the skull shapes on her hind quarters and if you or your child is a fan of monster high then this will make a gorgeous addition to the collection. I'm looking forward to seeing the new film when it is released in October and rumour has it that Neighthan will be Frankie Stein's new love interest.

Monster High Freaky Fusion Sarina Von Boo Hybrid Doll
Monster High Freaky Fusion Sarina Von Boo Hybrid Doll
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster High Freaky Fusion Sarina Von Boo Hybrid Doll, 20 Aug 2014

Apparently Freaky Fusion has three main doll lines:

The Sarina Von Boo Hybrid doll stands at around 30cm tall with her tail fully extended and approx 21cm with her tail folded for her to stand on her own (27cm seems to be the normal approx height for the MH Dolls). She comes with her long chain earring in one ear and pearl stud earring in the other, chain necklace, black flowing cord bracelets, diary and hairbrush. Her mermaid tail has a chain skirt over it which can be removed (I assume for more costume changes when and if made available later) and she has a green one shoulder top with black frill detail that can also be removed. Her streaked blue hair is braided and has purple tones along with the blue in it. She has solid fins on her arms and her webbed hands are soft and flexible as opposed to being made of hard plastic. Her arms, elbows, wrists and tail are jointed and so fully poseable and unlike other Monster High dolls she does not come with a doll stand as she can actually stand on her own by using her tail as a stand.

Sarina Von Boo is the daughter of a ghost (father) and mermaid (mother) and so is half ghost and half mermaid. Her mother met her father when he was frightseeing a shipwreck under water and it was love at first fright. Sarina is 17 years old and is thought to be a bit of an air head by her fellow students as she gets distracted very easily but she is really a day dreamer and free spirit. Sarina enjoys anshrieking (antiquing) and archaeology. Sarina likes to mix both chains and pearls so as to combine both fashion sides of her heritage and her favourite colour is periwinkle. As she is a ghost she can float through the air and walls much like Spectra Vondergeist.

The doll is beautifully made and very very pretty. There is lots of attention to detail such as a little starfish on her tail and if you or your child is a fan of monster high then this will make a gorgeous addition to the collection. One thing I would point out is her tail looks almost silver at the back on one of the main product pictures but the tail on the actual doll I have is all a dark black colour. I'm looking forward to seeing the new film when it is released in October and rumour has it that Neighthan will be Frankie Stein's new love interest.

Dark Skye (Immortals After Dark 14)
Dark Skye (Immortals After Dark 14)
by Kresley Cole
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Spellbinding!, 19 Aug 2014
No Spoliers:-

Another amazing installment in the Immortals After Dark series from Kresley Cole and I have read this every spare minute I have had. I have been absolutely hooked to this story from the prologue and the storyline and love scenes are sizzling to say the least. If you are a fan of IAD then you will love this and if you are new to the series although you could read this as a stand alone I would definitely suggest reading from the beginning of the series. Simply Spellbinding Storyline and Series!

One of the many things I love about this series is that along with telling an amazing story about two primary characters, she also manages to weave the stories so that they interconnect with her other books and that you then somehow understand the previous books even more. Again we are back on The Order's island for the beginning of this book at the crucial jail break whereby we have now read a few of the different character's stories and what happened to them during this time and afterwards (Demon From the Dark (Immortals After Dark 10), Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark 11), Lothaire (Immortals After Dark) & Macrieve (Immortals After Dark 13)) but this time the story centers on Melanthe the Queen of Persuasion and her hunter since childhood Thronos Talos Prince of the Vrekeners.
Both Lanthe and Thronos have featured in her sister Sabine's story Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark 6) but up until now we had no idea what had lead to Thronos' persistent chase of the sisters and namely Lanthe but now we do and the awful events that happened 500 years ago to them both. Lanthe is Thronos' mate no matter how much she wishes she wasn't and when he manages to capture her during her escape from The Order's prison she fears the worst. Thronos is enraged from what was done to him all those years ago and from constantly having to chase Lanthe at every opportunity that he has had only for her to evade him time and time again but now that he has her what will he do? Can the events of the past be forgiven on both sides and is there any hope at all for two fated mates when they are each from a faction that hates the other and they themselves harbour ill feeling and distrust for one another? Cue Nucking Futs Nix and her 'gentle' steering of events and 'subtle' involvement!

Nice to have Nix in this story again and from her taking a sort of larger role in this book maybe we can assume her own story will be forthcoming soon or perhaps after the events of this book it may be the turn of Morgana and Nereus?!

Absolutely loved this story and already I am looking forward to the next installment whenever that may be and whomever's story it may be. Unlike some series I have read in the past this series just keeps going from strength to strength and I can't get enough of my IAD fix......although I am looking forward to Dead of Winter: The Arcana Chronicles Book 3 when it comes out next year. Thanks again for yet another amazing read Kresley.

Bluesky Neon Cranberry Gel Polish Gel 10ml
Bluesky Neon Cranberry Gel Polish Gel 10ml
Price: 4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluesky Gel Polish Neon Cranberry, 18 Aug 2014
I have been using this nail polish alongside my USpicy DIAMANT USND-2403 Nail Dryer 24W CCFL & LED UV Nail Lamp (UV & LED 2 in 1 Nail Gel Lamp), with Fixed Timer 20s, 40s, 60s (Rose) for a few weeks now and it is saving me a fortune in nail salon costs. The colour is a bit pinker than what is shown on the description page and was expecting a deeper red so a bit disappointed really. I purchased the first gel from the seller deal pot ltd which was fulfilled by Amazon but I shall not be ordering from them again as this was the second nail varnish now from deal pot that has arrived with most of the contents spilled inside the box. I contacted Amazon Customer Services as they fulfilled the order for the seller and a full refund was immediately offered so that I could re-purchase a second gel from a different seller - Amazon themselves. The polish is easy to apply and sets well under the nail lamp. I am using it alongside Bluesky Nail Gel 10ml Top and Base Coat as it makes for a better finish and have also bought a few other shades from this same brand. A really good and cheap alternative to paying 25 a time at the nail salon.
I have not had this affect my star marking as the gel itself is fine obviously provided you manage to obtain a full bottle.

Gel Polish Nails by Bluesky Soft Pink Gel Polish Gel 10ml
Gel Polish Nails by Bluesky Soft Pink Gel Polish Gel 10ml
Price: 4.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluesky Gel Polish Soft Pink, 17 Aug 2014
I have been using this nail polish alongside my USpicy DIAMANT USND-2403 Nail Dryer 24W CCFL & LED UV Nail Lamp (UV & LED 2 in 1 Nail Gel Lamp), with Fixed Timer 20s, 40s, 60s (Rose) for a few weeks now and it is saving me a fortune in nail salon costs. The colour is a bit lighter than what is shown on the description page but still a nice shade. I purchased mine from the seller tips and toez which was fulfilled by Amazon and arrived in perfect condition. The polish is easy to apply and sets well under the nail lamp. I am using it alongside Bluesky Nail Gel 10ml Top and Base Coat as it makes for a better finish and have also bought a few other shades from this same brand. A really good and cheap alternative to paying 25 a time at the nail salon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20