Profile for Mummy of Two > Reviews

Content by Mummy of Two
Top Reviewer Ranking: 43

Mummy of Two (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LeapFrog LeapStart Preschool Interactive Learning System for Kids
LeapFrog LeapStart Preschool Interactive Learning System for Kids

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea But Pricey With The Additional Required Books, 26 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have mixed feelings on this and I have wavered betweend giving 3 stars and 4 stars quite simply because of the additional cost of the books which at the time of writing this review are just under £10 each. As there are 16 books (so far and I'm sure these will probably end up being expanded on to make even more) it's going to be a very expensive £159.74 for the whole set which seems very excessive to me. The only redeeming point is that apparently all of the books regardless of which stage can be used with either this preschool set or with the older primary school set however as the set only comes with a sampler book I am unable to confirm this at the present moment. I will definitely be ordering at least 1 stage 1 and 1 stage 3 book to check this theory out but I am loathe to do so at the present price per book and I'm going to wait for them to hopefully drop in price a little but I will update this review to confirm about the books being fully accessible or not regardless of using the preschool or primary school main unit.

This set appears to me to be a replacement or upgrade set to Leapfrogs current read and write system and their younger Tag system which I already have and have spent a fortune on books to go along with it (I've always bought the books when they have dropped in price but still this has been expensive). The idea is good although maybe a bit dated now with the abundance of tablets and apps and I'm surprised as Leapfrog already do apps and cartridge based learning on their children's tablets as both of my children have Leapfrog Platinum tablets (which again I've spent a small fortune in cartridges and downloads for those).

You will need 2 AA Batteries for the unit which again seems a bit antiquated and I can't understand why they haven't made the unit so it is rechargeable like the platinum are as I can see it getting quite expensive in battery usage unless you use rechargeable batteries. You will then need to link the unit up to a computer, tablet or laptop and Leapfrogs connect programme which I already had set up from my children's Platinums, Leapbands and tag reading systems. Once this is done your child can go ahead and use the unit with the included sampler book. My Daughter was especially excited as she really liked the used of the stylus which I'm a bit disappointed with as it's really big and chunky and I think should have been made to be more like a pen/pencil or even thick crayon for practising writing and grip.

The included sampler book is okay but not really enough to judge the whole system on and so I am marking this a reserved 3 stars until I test some of the actual books with the unit and I'm loathe as I said above to purchase these until they drop a bit in price as almost £10 a book seems excessive. A good idea but as with most things these days it needs additional spending on top of the unit itself.

Ubbi Wipes Dispenser (Grey)
Ubbi Wipes Dispenser (Grey)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ubbi Wipes Dispenser (Grey), 24 July 2016
My review is for the Ubbi Wipes Dispenser (Grey) which I received in error instead of the Ubbi Nappy & Wipes Storage Caddy. I note from the other reviews that this seems to be the case for a few people and so it is worth bearing in mind to check what the review is actually for if you are reading the reviews deciding whether to buy the wipes dispenser.

The wipes dispenser is designed to fit inside the caddy but can be used as a standalone unit too. The wipes dispenser measures approx 21.5cm long by 12cm wide by 11.5cm tall at its longest, widest and tallest points.

The wipes dispenser is white with a grey lid and grey rubber feet to keep it from slipping. It has a clear window in the front for you to see how many wipes you have left and apparently this lines up perfectly with the window on the caddy. There is a weighted plate inside the wipes dispenser to hold down the wipes and help to ensure that one wipe is released at a time and this does seem to work the majority of the time but I have had two wipes that were really stuck together slip through. The lid has a soft rubber around it to prevent it banging when closing but it doesn't have a soft close function and so it will just close fast so it's still worth keeping little fingers away.

I was offered the wipes dispenser prior to accepting the caddy for review and didn't select it because personally I couldn't see a need for it even with a little one in nappies and a young child too, however now having it and using it I do like it and it does make the wipes in the bathroom look nicely tidied away rather than just having a wipes packet sitting there when we have visitors. I would say that this would be most useful alongside the caddy through but it is a nice dispenser.

Nappy and Wipes Storage Caddy with Changing Mat (Gray)
Nappy and Wipes Storage Caddy with Changing Mat (Gray)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ubbi Wipes Dispenser, 24 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My review is for the Ubbi Wipes Dispenser (Grey) which I received in error instead of this Nappy & Wipes Storage Caddy. I note from the other reviews that this seems to be the case for a few people and so it is worth bearing in mind to check what the review is actually for if you are reading the reviews deciding whether to buy the caddy.

Disney Doc Mcstuffins 1000 Stickers
Disney Doc Mcstuffins 1000 Stickers
by Parragon

5.0 out of 5 stars Majority of Stickers Small But Lots of Activities, 23 July 2016
Be warned straight away that the majority of the 1000 stickers are actually very small squares measuring just 1.5cm by 1.5cm each which for size comparison for anyone without access to a ruler is just a bit smaller than a UK 5pence piece. There are actually 5 pages of these small stickers and each of these pages contain 187 of these small stickers.

Therefore 935 stickers are these small ones.

There are 3 pages which have Doc, Lambie, Stuffy, Chilly, Donny and Hallie sticker designs on them but unfortunately the pages are identical and so have the same stickers on each of the 3 pages. The other 2 pages of small stickers have common colourful shapes on them such as hearts, speech bubbles, flowers, stars and clouds and again both of the pages are unfortunately identical and have the same stickers on each page.

There are 121 larger stickers which are over 3 further pages and these go alongside the activities in the sticker book.

Despite the majority of the 1056 stickers being very small, I have not actually deducted any stars from my marking and this is quite simply because the book is jam packed with activities for your child to do and there are hours of entertainment in this book.

The sticker book is just a little bit smaller than A4 sized and other than the 8 sticker pages at the front the book has 64 pages. Of these 64 pages, 59 have activities on them and the other 5 are title pages and answer pages for some of the puzzles.

I'd normally list all of the pages and the activities on them but as the 59 activity pages actually each have an activity on them it would be quite a long and probably boring list but I can confirm that the publishers have not just cheated and mostly filled the book with colouring-in pages and there are only 22 colouring or drawing pages out of the 59 activity pages. The other 37 activity pages are a mix of sticker pages, spot the difference, word searches, word matching, mazes, shadow matching, dot to dots, games, counting, code deciphering and a quiz.

I am really impressed with this sticker activity book which has enough activity and sticker pages to keep your child interested and also a lot of small stickers for just playing with and sticking/decorating other things. My daughter absolutely loves it and we have been working through the activities together along with my son as she is a little too young to do them on her own but she has no problem with the sticker pages or using the little squares to decorate her other toys. I paid full price for the book and would happily do so again - very much recommended for any child and especially a Doc McStuffins fan.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ravensburger Doc 4-Shaped Puzzles (10/ 12/ 14/ 16 Pieces)
Ravensburger Doc 4-Shaped Puzzles (10/ 12/ 14/ 16 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Doc McStuffins Set of 4 Shaped Jigsaw Puzzles, 23 July 2016
I bought this jigsaw set for my daughter who loves jigsaws and will happily sit for hours putting one after another together. She is under the recommended age of 3 years and older but manages to put them together quite easily however I think this is because she plays with so many and that the recommended 3 and over is probably about right for this set.

There are 4 different puzzles which feature 5 of the main characters from the programme; Doc McStuffins & Chilly, Stuffy, Hallie and finally Lambie. The Doc puzzle is the easiest with 10 pieces and I think a child under 3 years old would be able to complete this one and the Stuffy one which has 12 pieces. The Hallie and Lambie puzzles are slightly more difficult with 14 and 16 pieces each respectively.

I have measured the jigsaws and they measure approximately 33.7cm by 23.5cm at the widest and longest parts and they are all near enough the same size as each other.

The jigsaws are made of thick card and brightly coloured with a sort of textured finish. The shape also makes them a little bit more difficult to complete than a rectangular or square jigsaw set and I think a little bit more fun too. The only slight niggle I have is that there are no shapes or distinguishing marks on the back of the pieces to identify which set they each belong to but it's not too hard to work out which pieces belong to which set but marks would have just made it that little bit easier for my daughter.

A really good and large set of 4 jigsaws that my daughter absolutely loves to put together again and again and again....
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Good Dinosaur - Numbers & Counting (Disney Learning)
The Good Dinosaur - Numbers & Counting (Disney Learning)
by No author

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Fun plus Stickers!, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am really impressed with these new Disney learning books from Scolastic and more importantly so are my children. The fun use of the Disney characters such as Arlo and Spot in this book alongside the fun stickers really does make learning more fun and my sticker and Disney mad children absolutely love them.

This book centres on numbers and counting and the fun but educational mix between pages is superb. We've managed to test quite a few over the last month or so and I'm now looking at purchasing the rest of the younger children books. At the time of writing this review this appears to be the only Good Dinosaur themed workbook and I'm hoping they bring out some more in this theme.

Silentnight Geltex Pillow, Polyester, White
Silentnight Geltex Pillow, Polyester, White

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Washable - Stinky Pillow In Future?, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly just to confirm that this is the first memory or gel type pillow that I have ever used and I am actually impressed but there are a few negatives to it that drops the star rating for me. As other reviewers have noticed and pointed out, the pillow that arrives is actually a 7 on the firmness rating rather than the 6 shown in the main photo. This probably doesn't make all that much difference but I do believe it is worth pointing out and is not a reason for any star deduction from me. The second issue or perhaps not is the listed price which I don't think is the manufacturers error and is probably more of an administrative error by Amazon themselves as they have it currently listed at £67.99 full price and £41.85 to buy at the time of me writing this review, whereas the same pillow is on sale around the £35 mark elsewhere.

The part that does deduct a star from the marking from me is that the pillow is not washable as advertised and is wipe clean only which could potentially cause quite a smelly pillow over time. I doubt the 2 year guarantee covers a smelly pillow but you could of course try to argue the point in the future with Silentnight if you so wished. Of course you can and I have bought a pillow protector for the pillow however I think this then does negate one of the main points of the pillow which is the mesh sides, breathability and temperature control of the air-permeable Geltex foam inside.

The pillow itself is wonderfully comfy and provides a firm but gentle support when sleeping and if you can cope with a non-washable pillow and perhaps having to replace this when smelly or alternatively live with a pillow protector on it permanently then this is a great pillow. The fact that if there is any chance of the pillow having any spills etc on it that you are then going to need some sort of polypropylene cover on top of it to waterproof it does definitely negate the cooling feature. However with two little ones who like to climb and sleep in Mummy and Daddy's bed whenever they can and subsequently spill drinks, bottles of milk etc then this is not the most family friendly pillow and something needs to be re-thought about the pillow not being washable or having a sort of special protector for it. Comfy, soft but firm yet potentially stinky down the line.

Colgate ProClincal Pocket Pro USB Rechargable Electric Toothbrush
Colgate ProClincal Pocket Pro USB Rechargable Electric Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Home Cleaning and Great for Travel Cleaning, 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally use a Philips Diamond Sonicare but I have never used a Colgate toothbrush or a travel version and so wanted to give this a try and I am pleasantly surprised with how good this toothbrush actually is and especially for the current just over forty pound price.

The toothbrush is slightly smaller than a standard electric toothbrush hence it's travel name along with its charging case rather than charging stand but it is still really powerful and perfect for taking away or indeed normal use.

My Philips toothbrush has the option of charging via its case too but I loathe taking it on holiday as I always worry (despite the case) that something will happen to it and especially because of how much it cost for me to purchase too. This is a perfect travel alternative and has been great on my recent family holiday.

The Colgate brush can be charge inside the case via the USB lead or with the lead and 2 pin plug therefore you will need a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter if not charging via a bathroom charge point. Every electric toothbrush I have ever had charges via a 2 pin plug and so this is not anything unusual.

The Colgate toothbrush has a 2 minute timer along with four 30 second timer intervals for the four quadrants of your mouth and the power and brush programme is perfectly fine for brushing away from home but I do like my normal Philips for the different clean settings at home.

A really good toothbrush and a great compact travel toothbrush.

The Hawkweed Prophecy
The Hawkweed Prophecy
by Irena Brignull

4.0 out of 5 stars Onto Egypt....., 18 July 2016
This review is from: The Hawkweed Prophecy (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Young Adult is now sort of classed as New Adult I believe as it has been widely recognised that it isn't just young adults who enjoy these books and there are adults like me who really enjoy them. Anyway this book is set around the Hawkweed family who are Witches and the two sisters; Raven and Charlock are foretold that one of them will be the mother of the new Queen on the Witches. Charlock loves her sister and has absolutely no aspirations of this but Raven does and so plots to ensure her sister only bears male heirs until an illness overcomes the witches and Raven lets her guard down only to discover that Charlock is now having a little girl. Raven loves her sister but hates her soon to be daughter and casts a spell when she is born to swap her with a human (Chaff) child without her sister knowing. The two sisters grow away from each other and both in the wrong place until fate makes them meet.......

I really enjoyed this book and the story is for once not completely guessable. A good and very entertaining New Adult read.

Q-Connect Ink for Canon CLI-8 Ink Cartridge - Magenta
Q-Connect Ink for Canon CLI-8 Ink Cartridge - Magenta

2.0 out of 5 stars Q-Connect Remanufactured CLI-8 Ink Cartridge, 16 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not for me I'm afraid as I can't see any real benefit to this cartridge over a branded Canon one as at the time of writing this review they are very similar in price. Also at the time I ordered this cartridge there wasn't a full description on the product page and so subsequently it does not work with my printer.

The front of the cartridge has a full list of compatible printers which are not listed on the product page and so to assist I have attached a photo of the front detailing the compatible printers. I do note that the ink is covered by a full manufacturers guarantee and that they advise that using their ink would not affect any warranty on your printer but personally I would check with Canon directly if unsure. The ink does come in a 13ml container.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20