Profile for S. Wilson > Reviews

Content by S. Wilson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 79

S. Wilson (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bose ® SoundTouch Portable Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black
Bose ® SoundTouch Portable Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing Wi-Fi Portable Music System, 21 Oct 2014
Bose SoundTouch Portable Series II:-

For clarity as I don't think the way the review page is set out is very clear with three different models all having their reviews next to each other I am reviewing the portable version and it is BRILLIANT.
Maybe as they are three different models it may be an idea for them to have separate Amazon product pages each as it seems a bit unfair the potential let downs of one system have an effect and subsequent star marking on another? Anyway I'll leave that to Amazon and Bose to sort out between themselves but to me it seems a bit unfair on the brilliant model.

Firstly let me advise any reader of this review that I am not at all 'techy' and I am basically a normal mum currently on maternity leave from work so to be honest I also have a bit of baby brain at the moment too so I can't cope with anything too technologically demanding at the moment either!

Set Up:-
I struggled at first with the set up for the portable system until I discovered the full instruction booklet on line on Bose's UK website as they did not provide a paper copy instruction booklet in the box which my hubby advises me is normal nowadays with electrical items and I genuinely didn't know. They did provide a multi language safety leaflet basically advising not to eat the battery or get the unit wet and a fast start instruction card in several languages and in triplicate which didn't tell me a thing about how to go about setting the system up as I couldn't follow it. Anyway once you read the instruction booklet on line and you download the free app that is needed to operate the system from Bose called SoundTouch it is really easy to use and set up. It took me over 45 minutes to set up and link the system to my computer but the majority of that time was me struggling from not having read or located the proper instructions and trying to follow the card instructions. There was also a system update that it wanted to do straight away and that actually took 14 minutes for it to complete.

The system is portable but the battery does need charging at first and so you will need to connect the system to the mains to charge via the included power lead and plug (there was also a two pin plug included with the three pin plug). To check the battery status you press the power button on the unit for just over two seconds and it will flash up on the screen with a battery symbol showing how full it is.

SoundTouch App:-
I am using the system with my computer and so as yet cannot comment on how it works with either a tablet or phone although I know my husband is keen to use it with his Kindle Fire HDX and so intends to set it up to use with it over the next few days and I would imagine it is pretty much the same set up but will update my review to advise if it isn't.
The app is pretty much easy to work out by messing around with it and I have linked it with my music library. You can pre-set 6 channels on the system and can link these either to albums of your choice or radio stations. The main menu headings you can access on the app are; Recents, Deezer, Music Library, Internet Radio, Add Music, Settings and Help along with accessing and amending the 6 channels by simply dragging and dropping onto the number what music you want added to that channel.

Internet Radio:-
My Hubby and I have had so much fun with messing around with this as you can literally access so many countries and towns in those countries radio stations. We have never had an internet radio system before and the most we have had above a normal CD system has been a BlueTooth speaker system which we also only got recently and so wow what an eye opener and so much fun. I currently have Mexico 97.7FM radio on one of my pre-sets as hey if I can't go there this year with having my second little one then I can go there in spirit! I also have Adam FM on my pre-sets which is a Toronto radio station that my hubby wanted on to remind him of when he lived over there. We have even been linked up to and listening to a gregorian chant radio station of all things tonight and so the world of music is definitely wide open with this system.

Bass/Sound:-
There has been some comments re the Bass being too heavy on the system. You can physically adjust the Bass to a lower setting via the main menu and there are 10 levels which you can choose from. The system was automatically set to the fullest Bass level so no wonder it seemed very heavy and muffled. To amend the Bass you go via the main menu to settings then from there to systems and then from there to Bose SoundTouch, then onto the Bass adjustment. You can also change the name of your system here or even change the language. So basically the Bass is adjustable and I have been listening to Muse's Supermassive Black Hole quite happily once I adjusted the Bass level. The sound is really nice and clear and my husband is made up that he can finally have Planet Rock on in the house and actually clearly hear it without any distortion as previously we have had major problems trying to connect to that radio station from our normal radio player.

WiFi:-
I have tested the system all over the house and it has worked perfectly and so I don't think the system is to blame for anyone's music cutting out and maybe it is more that they don't have a strong WiFi signal? We are with Virgin and one of their bigger internet packages and so far have had no issues but I will update the review if we do.

Other Bits:-
The system comes with a remote control as well as a USB lead for connecting to your device but to amend your pre-set channels and whats on them you have to do this from your computer (in my case) or device you have the app on however for going up and having a bath or listening to it in the kitchen or garden it's easy enough to pre-set what you want onto the channels for the time you want to use it.
The screen on the unit comes up with what track you are listening to or channel such as it say's Planet Rock or Supermassive Black Hole etc along with a little picture to indicate where the music is coming from such as a world radio symbol for internet radio or a little picture of an open laptop with a music symbol to indicate it's playing from your music library.

Dimensions:-
The system measures approx 24.5cm long by 15cm high by 6.5cm deep at it's middle curved point.

This is a brilliant system and I know that I have not had a previous internet radio system to compare it to in the past but wow it is really good and I am very impressed with it. My one and only thought would be it would have been nice to have had some sort of carrying handle for it but this is not a major point and the system can be carried without one. I shall update this review if there are any issues in the future and if there is anything you think of that I may be able to answer for you about the system that isn't too techy then don't hesitate to comment on my review as I check my comments regularly.

PRO PLAN Cat Wet NutriSavour Delicate with Ocean Fish in Gravy 10x85g (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pouches)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cat's Whiskers!, 21 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have two cats who are now classed as elderly with them being over 11 years old although the way they bounce around and play sometimes makes me forget their age and still think of them as being youngsters. The eldest of the two prefers either dry cat food or fish based wet food and so she straight away ate this cat food with no problem at all. The youngest of the two prefers wet to dry food and preferably something meaty with gravy and although these are fish rather than meat she also set upon the food bowl with the food having gravy.
I did think we might have issues with a new food as normally they prefer two well known cat food brands beginning with a W and an F and have turned their noses up at wet food from other brands in the past however by the speed this food was eaten there were no such hangups from them. The packet advises 3 pouches a day per cat but we feed both wet and dry food and tend to go through 2 pouches a day and dry food between them and I shall not be altering their feeding patterns at their age.
So a paws up in our house from both of my cats for this ocean fish in gravy wet cat food.

Cole & Mason 165 mm Dark Wood Morley Crank Pepper Mill, Brown
Cole & Mason 165 mm Dark Wood Morley Crank Pepper Mill, Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Cole & Mason Dark Wood Morley Crank Pepper Mill, 20 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This pepper mill is absolutely gorgeous and has such a quality feel to it. The dark wood effect is beautiful especially when set against the stainless steel top and handle. I can tell immediately that this is not one of the cheap mills that we have been using and invariably replacing when they break over the years and that this is a high quality piece that will last for years. I shall of course update my review should any problems arise with the mill but I cannot see that happening.

The mechanism to change the size of the ground pepper from coarse to fine is very easy to use as it is just a knob underneath the mill that you simply turn to either the large dot or small dot. The mill also couldn't be simpler to re-fill as you simply remove the top stainless steel part by pulling it off which is easy to do and there is no need to twist. The Cole & Mason wording on the bottom part of the mill and letter P to indicate it is the pepper mill are very easy to read and the little wooden knob on the end of the crank is nice to hold. The crank is easy to turn and this must be in part to do with the carbon steel mechanism the mill advises it has. The mill is a nice size (it measures approx 13.5cm to the top excluding the wooden knob on the crank and is approx 7cm wide at the base) and has a nice weight feel to it without it being too heavy.

There is also a matching salt mill Cole & Mason 165 mm Dark Wood Morley Crank Salt Mill, Brown that you can purchase. My one and only niggle is that the mill does not come in any sort of presentation or protective box and just arrives wrapped in bubble wrap and I feel that had it even arrived in a plain brown box it would have made it's initial presentation that much better and opened it up to being able to be given as a gift to someone. You could of course buy a little gift box for it to go in if thinking of giving this as a gift but it's own little Cole & Mason box would have in my opinion given it that extra oomph. The mill also comes pre-filled with some pepper which the attached label advises the best before date and so you know you haven't been given out of date pepper. A truly beautifully crafted pepper mill that would look amazing on any dining table or kitchen.

FIFA Street (Xbox 360)
FIFA Street (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Nephew thinks it's brilliant, 19 Oct 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my nephew's birthday as despite having the latest Fifa games including the newly released 15 he didn't have this one and had been wanting it for the couple of years it's been out. I can't personally say the game is any good as I'm simply not interested in football but my nephew is over the moon with the game and rates it 5 stars when I asked him. He said the graphics are really good although obviously a couple of years old now so not as good as the latest Fifa 15 for example but he loves the street football moves and enjoys playing this very much in-between his 15 game. So a thumbs up from my nephew.

Melissa and Doug Cowboy Costume
Melissa and Doug Cowboy Costume

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous & Incredible Quality Outfit - Pictures do not do it justice, 19 Oct 2014
This is the second Melissa and Doug costume I have and I was prompted to purchase this one based on the incredible quality of the first one we have (Melissa & Doug Witch Costume) and once again I have not been disappointed by Melissa and Doug as they have again supplied an amazing costume. This is an absolutely gorgeous, extremely well made outfit which the product pictures in my opinion don't really do it the justice it deserves. The attention to detailing and quality of this outfit when compared with other fancy dress outfits I have had for my children in the past is simply in a class of it's own.

My son is under the bottom age for this costume of 3 years (it advises 3-5 years in the product description) and so the chaps were a bit too long for him and so I simply did a couple of loose stitches in the same colour as the chaps to temporarily hem them and they then fit perfectly as the waist band is a velcro attachment and so is adjustable. The fact that I have had to slightly hem them means straight away that these are going to last for sometime although I can't confirm at this point if it will be until he is 5 however I will come back and update this review in the future to confirm. The rest of the outfit fitted brilliantly and the waistcoat although it fitted still has room for my son to grow into it further.

The chaps are a faux leather with velcro closure at the waist behind the gold star and there are two velcro fastenings on the legs to help fit them to your little one's legs so they don't flap while being worn. The chaps are loosely fitted onto the belt part so they can be moved around the belt to adjust to your little one rather than them being solidly fixed which really helps if you need to loosen the belt or tighten it on the velcro closure. The chaps are a gorgeous quality faux leather so don't let the word faux put you off as they do actually feel like a very soft leather.

The waistcoat is the best part of the outfit (if I had to choose a best part) as it is actually made with real denim albeit the nice soft type and not the very thick denim that jeans are made from. There is also faux leather on the shoulder parts and a little stitched cut out for the sheriff badge to sit in although I have taken the advice of another reviewer and sewn this in as otherwise I could see the badge getting lost very quickly.

The hat looks a bit iffy in the pictures I think but it is brilliant and again very well made and the material is a lovely sort of faux suede material. It just about fits my son without slipping over his eyes and so again there is a nice little bit of growing room for him over the next couple of years.

The neckerchief/bandanna is made out of cotton and rather than tying around your little ones neck and potentially being a strangulation hazard it is again a velcro fastening with a fixed knot design on it so you don't actually have to physically tie this around your little ones neck.

All of the outfit is washable and I have washed it all except for the hat which I just wiped clean and they have all washed beautifully and are still the same quality and colours after a wash.

I would definitely recommend this outfit and say if you are in-between deciding on this cowboy outfit from Melissa and Doug or a cowboy outfit from someone else then if you choose this one you will definitely not be disappointed. This is a gorgeous, brilliant, beautifully made high quality outfit.

ClevaCushion 10 in 1 Nursing Pillow
ClevaCushion 10 in 1 Nursing Pillow

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever cushion but mine missing toys, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly let me explain why only the 3 star marking when I actually think that the product is fantastic. Well mine was missing the two toys that are meant to come with it and so therefore I feel I need to reflect this in the marking. Yes you can attach your own toys to the cushion and with two little ones we have plenty of these but I don't think it's fair to give a complete marking if you haven't got a complete product. I have contacted Amazon and Clevamamma to query this and shall update my review accordingly. I can however say that had everything been included that should have been then I wouldn't have hesitated to give a five star mark.

The cushion is not unlike other similar looking feeding cushions that I have seen however there is something about the foam (I can't put my finger on it what it is as I'm not a foam expert) that makes it feel super comfortable but also very supportive and so I am actually really impressed with it. Add to this the fact that it comes with an additional support cushion, two harness cushions and should come with two baby toys and the fact that it can be used for 10 different functions (albeit that 5 of them are very similar to each other as in it is being used as a baby cushion each time but in a car seat, buggy, pram, highchair and bouncer) I think this is a brilliant product.

The baby support cushion is a brilliant add on idea for the main nursing pillow and if I had to choose between a nursing pillow on it's own or this one that comes with the extras then I would definitely choose this one and that is before I knew about how soft and comfortable the foam in the cushion and baby support cushion are as this is a major bonus on it's own. The baby support cushion has little side cushion parts that are extremely well cushioned and so help give the feel of a little baby nest when using it in a chair/bouncer, car seat or buggy and the head cushion not only has cushioning around the head but it has cushioning on the part where your little ones head rests and it feels extremely similar to memory foam when you squish it. The box states that it has been scientifically proven that the foam can significantly reduce the risk of flat head syndrome in your little ones head by up to 50 percent and whilst I cannot confirm or deny this I could see how the memory type foam would aid this especially with other companies bringing out memory foam type mattresses or ones with special indents in them.

The cover for the main cushion is removable and the baby support cushion and harness cushions all can be washed at 40 degrees but not tumble dried. I haven't had to wash mine yet but it is inevitable with normal baby drool and milk that this will be sooner rather than later!

I have managed to test the main pillow out as a back support (although I am not pregnant at the moment as I have only just had my second) and can confirm that it feels comfy and I have also tested it as a feeding pillow as my daughter still has several bottles of milk a day and can confirm that this is brilliant rather than having to have a sofa pillow under your arm. We have a rocking chair in her bedroom and normally when I am feeding her and rocking her to sleep I have to sort of slope down in the chair so that my arm can rest on the arm rest whereas I haven't had to slope when using the main nursing pillow so it's been a bit of a godsend on my back!

I have tested it as a baby seat with the main pillow and baby pillow but my baby daughter didn't sit still for long as she is active and up and about now but I can see that it would make a fab little baby nest. I have also tested it in the highchair but I found the side cushions were getting in her way as the highchair itself also has padding around the sides and so I have had to abandon using it in the highchair although if you didn't have a greatly padded highchair I could see it would be really good. I have also tested it in her infant seat/rocker, car seat and buggy and it does make a lovely support cushion. I haven't tested it for tummy time as it did not come with the toys that it should have and to be honest my daughter does not lie still anymore but I could see it could be used for this albeit the cushion may be a bit too large for when they are first doing tummy time. Finally I have put it behind her as a bolster but again my daughter doesn't sit still long enough nowadays however I could see this being a great little support for when your little one is just starting to sit rather than trying to balance sofa cushions all around them which inevitably just slip away anyway. The only other function I haven't tried it out in is a pram as basically this in my mind is exactly the same as when using it in your car seat, highchair, seat/bouncer or buggy as it is effectively being used as a support cushion in all five.

Oh I almost forgot to mention regarding the harness cushions as these are lovely and very well padded and I am actually going to use these for the car seat as they are much more padded that the car seat's ones.

So in summary a brilliant clever nursing pillow and fantastic extra's which I would have given 5 stars had the toys that should have been included been in the box.

EDIT 20/10/2014:-
I have had a superfast response back from Clevamama within just 1 hour and 45 minutes of sending them my email today and they have confirmed that they will be sending me out the missing toys and that this was a warehouse oversight. I have to say with that speed of excellent customer service I am very impressed. I shall update my review further once the toys arrive and I can test them in the tummy time function and also then advise what the toys are like.

Driving Test Success All Tests 2014/15 (PC DVD)
Driving Test Success All Tests 2014/15 (PC DVD)
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Study Aid, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great study aid and actually has both the theory and hazard perception test elements on it along with other bonus features such as the highway code and pointers for when you sit your practical driving test. I actually have the separate discs for the Hazard Perception Test and Theory Test by the same company but this discs covers both. The disc is a PC DVD and therefore will only work on your PC and so if you want a multi platform disc then you may want to consider one of the other discs.
Not only can you practice each question for the theory test but you can also sits lots of random mock tests for both the theory and hazard perceptions tests along with watch clips in preparation for the real thing. This is a really good PC DVD which on first impressions seems to cover everything the separate ones do, is a reasonably priced disc and is very easy to use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2014 9:09 AM BST

Fisher-Price Smart Stages Chair Pink
Fisher-Price Smart Stages Chair Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty In Pink.....and Pretty Smart Too!, 17 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is a reason (well several) that Fisher Price products are one of our major 'go to brands' for baby toys and products and that is that they are always cleverly thought out, of a beautiful design, durable, entertaining, educational, encourage baby to develop and are always high quality just to name a few. I don't honestly think we have had one bad Fisher Price toy between either of our two children and it is certainly a name we have grown to love and trust. This Smart Stages Chair is in my opinion yet another brilliant product/update from Fisher Price (I believe it is an update to their old Fisher-Price Musical Learning Chair) and I can't speak highly of it enough.

Age Suitability:-
My baby daughter absolutely loves this smart stages chair and as with everything in our house at the moment (I suspect mostly because it is her's) my son also loves it. My son (under 3) is just learning numbers and so has been pressing the number buttons on the remote control and trying to repeat the numbers as they are spoken. There has also been a bit of a jostle over who actually gets to play with the chair on more than one occasion and so I may have to consider getting the yellow version for my son just for some peace! My baby daughter is obsessed with standing at the chair and lifting the seat up and down and flipping the pages of the book. She is below the recommended minimum age of 12 months but as she is our second child her development is so much faster than our sons was (as she has him to learn from) and as such the chair is definitely suitable for her to play with now. I do wonder why FP hadn't set the minimum age lower at maybe 9 months plus or even 6 months as I would think this would be suitable for a younger age onwards as there are no small pieces that could come off the chair. Yes they probably couldn't sit in it yet at those ages but they could still play with the remote control, book and seat. When you first turn the chair on it asks you to enter your little ones age using the buttons on the remote control (the instruction manual has full instructions and the chair also advises verbally) but the age does not go lower than 12 months and so we have had to set it at 12 months for our daughter and then will alter this with the reset button when she gets older as the chair apparently tracks your little ones age so that it can automatically change the smart stage settings (but you can still change these manually with the switch on the front).

Interactive Bits:-
The interactive parts of the chair are the remote control on the arm of the chair which has four number buttons, three shape buttons and a remote control light that lights up; the chair seat which has a pressure button under it so it works out when your little one sits down on it and stands up or lifts and closes the lid; the little book on the arm of the chair which responds to each page when turned and responds differently according to the smart stage. Finally there is a little crank handle at the side which I can't see does anything other than actually crank a little bit with a cranking noise.

Assembly:-
The chair needs a little bit of assembly and you will need a posidrive/Phillips screwdriver to do this and to open the battery compartment. The instructions advise to insert the 3 AA batteries first as the back two feet of the chair sit over the battery compartment once assembled. To change the batteries you need to remove the back two feet and then re-assemble which is a bit of a pain but I can't see it being a major problem as it is only two screws for the feet. There are two front feet that also need to be screwed on and then the chair back rest also needs to be clicked into place and the three screws for this inserting and tightening. It took me less than 5 minutes to assemble the chair.

Smart Stages:-
The chair has three smart stages which are stage 1 for 12-18 months old, stage 2 for 18-24 months old and stage 3 for over 24 months. For example when on stage 1 the remote control will say the numbers such as 1 and the light with light up once, for 3 say 3 and light up three times, say purple (or green or red), say circle (or triangle or square) and sing little songs about a square having four corners and four sides, a circle having no corners or lines, a triangle having three sides and three corners etc.
For stage 2 the chair will prompt your little one to do things such as find the yellow bee under the seat, find the green circle, the chair will say purple triangle rather than purple or triangle on it's own and ask your little one to read a story and find the butterfly etc.
For stage 3 the chair will play pop goes the weasel by your little one lifting and putting down the seat, ask them to buzz like a bee, pretend the number buttons on the remote are for changing to different channels such as the weather channel or the animal channel and get them to pretend to fly like a butterfly or hop like a frog etc.

Dimensions:-
The chair is approx 43cm high to the top of the seat back, approx 39cm wide, approx 40cm wide to the little bit that sticks out at the back behind the feet (which the pictures do not show) and approx 15.5cm to the seat top.

Other Bits:-
The chair does speak in a British voice so no need to worry about it being very American pronunciation as with the demo video (where it says awesome) on the product page. The pink colour is a lovely soft pink and so not garish and a lighter pink that the product pictures which the purple is also a soft purple rather than the darker purple look in the product pictures. There are two volume levels along with an off switch. There is a sticker inside the seat with pictures on it which the smart stages refer to when the seat is opened and closed but there is also some storage room here for your little one to store some of their things too.

We have a lot of Fisher Price toys in our house (the brand is most definitely one of our favourite baby and children's toys brands) and so I knew before the smart stages chair arrived that it would be good but my two little ones absolutely love it and so it seems Fisher Price has done it again and created a toy that both children love and that will last. Another brilliant, colourful, fun and robust toy from Fisher Price which I definitely recommend.

Revell Orbis Mystery Aliens Airbrush Stencil Set
Revell Orbis Mystery Aliens Airbrush Stencil Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Revell Orbis Airbrush Mystery Aliens Stencil Set, 16 Oct 2014
I bought these Alien stencil's to work with the Orbis Revell Airbrush Power Studio as the airbrush itself only came with a few stencils (some Monster High ones and some Wildlife/Africa ones) and I wanted to expand my stencil collection.

There are quite a few stencils in the pack as follows; large alien outline plus inside detailed part, two little aliens next to each other which is good for background pictures, a large alien head with area 51 written underneath, a ufo, mountain background, stars, moons, planets, comets, earth, black hole type one, the words monster and alien, a large rather ugly looking insect, a couple of space ships and a couple ufo and planet border art work pieces.

The markings I have given are for the stencils when used with the Airbrush and not for the stencils alone as the fun is really only to be had when actually using them. As I have said above the stencils are re-usable as you simply clean them after use and so have a fair bit of longevity to them if looked after well and they can be used with the Airbrush and specialist cartridge pens for both paper, glass and textiles although you do need to buy different stencils if doing tattoo's with the Airbrush. A great little set which I managed to get at a bargain price but as I have said above they are good value even at the full price as they are re-usable.

Revell Orbis Fairy Romance Airbrush Stencil Set
Revell Orbis Fairy Romance Airbrush Stencil Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Revell Orbis Airbrush Fairy Romance Stencil Set, 16 Oct 2014
I bought these Fairy Romance stencil's to work with the Orbis Revell Airbrush Power Studio as the airbrush itself only came with a few stencils (some Monster High ones and some Wildlife/Africa ones) and I wanted to expand my stencil collection.
The set consists of 5 stencils and when I purchased them they were an absolute bargain at less than half price although for a set of five stencils I think the normal price is still good value especially as the stencils can be wiped and used again and again. The pack also contains a little instruction leaflet which tells you how to create a picture with different depth parts to it and how to create a border with different shadings and colour overlap which I thought was really useful and helpful information to provide especially when you are just starting to use the Airbrush like I am.

There is a large Fairy outline stencil plus a detailed inner stencil, bats stencil, stars stencil, curly pretty lines with butterflies stencil, another Fairy sitting down stencil, an old creepy tree stencil, a unicorn stencil, a spider web with spider stencil, a castle background stencil plus a lightning and moon stencil in the pack.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20