Profile for S. Wilson > Reviews

Content by S. Wilson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 70

S. Wilson (UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mitre Aircell Power Shinguards - Cyan/White - M
Mitre Aircell Power Shinguards - Cyan/White - M

5.0 out of 5 stars Mitre Aircell Power Shinguards - Cyan/White (Medium), 25 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are a very nice and extremely well made pair of shinguards and certainly of a higher quality than some of the shinguards I have seen. They have the ankle sock part with them too as opposed to some that just have the shinguard and so not only do they seem to fit and hold better on the leg as a result of this but there is also a bit of padded protection for the ankle too. There is a stirrup for securing the ankle sock part onto the foot and the shinguard itself has an adjustable velcro fastening at the top for securing around the leg so once on these feel very secure. The shinguard has padding where the shinguard meets the leg to help absorb any impact to the leg and the actual hexagonal style guard has a small gap between this and the foam backing to also help minimise any impact to the leg. Probably a strange thing to next say but they smell wonderful out of the packet and very unlike the current stinky old shinguards that have very quickly winged their way to the bin! The blue colour on the guards looks a bit lighter than in the product pictures but is still a very nice shade of blue. Very happy with these shinguards which on first impressions are super and will be put to the test fully at the match on Sunday coming.

Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan: Photoshop CC Plus Lightroom - 12-Month Licence - Key Card (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for professional photographers, 24 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have never used Photoshop or Lightroom prior to receiving this photography plan to test and review but having now used it I'm pretty sure I will be paying to renew my membership next year once the 12 month membership expires. Before using this package I would have considered it to be very expensive and a waste of money but wow the things you can do with Photoshop and Lightroom are extraordinary and I don't think I have even begun to scratch the service yet.

I am not a professional photographer (I'm a mum to two little ones who is on maternity leave from work at present) and so initially I thought that this would not be something I could use or even fathom how to use but I have always wanted to try one of these packages out and so when the opportunity to do so presented itself I thought why not? There are online tutorials which actually show you how to do things in both Photoshop and Lightroom such as removing whole objects out of your photo's and adjusting the colour, brightness etc of your pictures to improve them.

I have attached a few before and after photo's (all taken before I had my children as my photo's nowadays tend to be of them!) to this review which show underwater photo's from when I have been scuba diving that I have managed to clear up and brighten, a picturesque photo in Greece where I have managed to remove an unsightly pole and part of a building in the bottom left and a photo from a sea plane over some islands in the Maldives where I have managed to remove smudges from the plane's window in the bottom left and part of the sea plane's wing from the top of the picture. These were all taken a few years ago and before I discovered DSLR's and so their picture quality isn't as good as my pictures I take nowadays but I thought they were nice pictures to demonstrate some of what Photoshop and Lightroom can do.

Anyway the 12 month membership is via a credit card type card where you set up a Adobe account if you don't already have one, enter the code from the back of the card and download their Creative Cloud to your desktop which took my computer around 10minutes to do so. You then go into the apps section in Creative Cloud on your desktop and select to install both the Photoshop and Lightroom apps which took my computer nearly 40minutes to complete and did slow down my computer while doing it and so I had to stop working on the computer while the downloads completed. Through this apps section you can also try out some of Adobe's other packages such as After Effects and Illustrator if you wish but I'm still learning Photoshop and Lightroom for now personally.

I would definitely suggest having a look at the online tutorials if you are not experienced in using either LR or PS like myself as they have been brilliant for showing the basics for me and I am slowly learning all of the things you can do with both LR and PS. Oh if you are wondering how to save an edited photo once you have completed edits in LR you select to "Export" from the drop down menu and it then gives you the option of which file location you wish to save the new version in which it doesn't tell you in the tutorials and I had to do a search on the internet to find out how to do it.

A brilliant package which if you are serious about making edits to your photo's like me you don't have to be a professional photographer to use this package or to reap the rewards and I am very impressed with both Photoshop and Lightroom.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Maleficent (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [2014] [Region Free]
Maleficent (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Angelina Jolie

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Maleficent, 24 Nov 2014
What an amazing film and a nice twist on the classic Sleeping Beauty story - well the events before Sleeping Beauty. Angelina Jolie is magnificent as Maleficent and I loved her "little beasty" saying and the interaction between Maleficent and Aurora. The parts were Aurora is little and Maleficent is meant to hate the little girl are pure film genius and I didn't know until the other day that the baby Aurora is actually played by Angelina's own daughter as all the other babies were scared of her in her Maleficent make-up and costume. An absolutely fantastic film and if you are wavering about watching it then I would highly recommend it. Disney have made yet another superb film that had me laughing out loud at some parts and totally engrossed in the whole film.

The 3D version is fantastic and I can thoroughly recommend it and so would definitely say it is worth getting the 3D version as opposed to the normal 2D version if you are able to. Not only do you have the normal 3D effect whereby the characters on the screen stand out within the screen against the background but there are lots of points within the film whereby the 'true out of the screen and halfway across your living room 3D effects' come into play and the picture quality is superb.

A truly brilliant and cleverly thought out film that is one of the best films I have bought and watched this year.

Me to You Tiny Tatty Teddy Gift Set for a Baby Boy
Me to You Tiny Tatty Teddy Gift Set for a Baby Boy

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Set But You Could Pick Your Own Elements If You Wished, 22 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm afraid I echo the sentiments of other reviewers with my first impressions of this set also being that it is a nice set but not very good value for money for some of the items included and my major bug bear being the very poor presentation of the set. If you were to buy this set in it's current form you would definitely need to purchase a suitable gift box or gift bag as I don't think you would present this to a new Mum in it's current presentation. In fact if you were to buy all of the five items individually that were included in this set; Me To You Tiny Tatty Teddy Foldable Blanket Bear, Me To You Tiny Tatty Teddy Buggy Squeaker (Blue), Me To You Tiny Tatty Teddy Keepsake Book (Beige), Me to You Tiny Tatty Teddy Small Photo Album and Me To You Tiny Tatty Teddy Birth Certificate Holder they would come to £1.43 less to buy individually at the time of me writing this review so you are effectively paying for the rather horrible plain brown cardboard box they come in.

The really good items in this set for me are the Blanket Bear and the Teddy Squeaker which are both adorable and I would highly recommend. The Tiny Tatty Teddy range is actually really nice with some lovely pieces in it but for me personally the certificate holder and the small photo album are not two of the better pieces from the range. Having said that if the set had been better presented and packed in a presentation box rather than a normal cardboard box the set could have been lovely even with the two pieces I'm not overly fussed on.

The teddy blanket is absolutely gorgeous, soft and fluffy and would be loved by any little one that was lucky enough to be given it. The blanket does fold back up into the original shape it comes in to make a teddy bear again with a square tummy and the fabric used and softness of the teddy truly is lovely and so I would definitely recommend this part of the set. The teddy squeaker again is a lovely plush teddy with a squeaker in it's tummy and clip for hanging and having had one of these in the past with my son I know how much they are cuddled and loved (and eaten and drooled on!) and this also is a lovely part of the Tiny Tatty Teddy range. The Keepsake Book is okay and whilst not as detailed as the ones I have already would still make a nice record book and a nice gift. A nice set with two exceptionally nice pieces and two not as nice pieces but with better presentation this would still make a lovely set which is why I have given it four stars rather than the three I was initially going to give it.

The Traitor: A Divergent Story
The Traitor: A Divergent Story

5.0 out of 5 stars The Traitor, 22 Nov 2014
The Traitor gives Four's side of the visiting day meeting with Tris and her Mum and also shows him further investigating Max and Janine's involvement together. It tells how much Four actually helped Tris along with her initiation and how he protected her from being discovered as being a Divergent. It also tells how he continued to try to have the initiation reversed to the old ways before Eric's 'amazing' idea of only letting the top 10 initiates remain and how he tried to warn Abnegation of the attack to come along with his mother who both chose to ignore the information. We also see Tris' rescue from the Chasm from Four's point of view and have an inside sight into his developing feelings for her. I really enjoyed this story and yes I already knew pretty much all of it but again to have everything from Four's point of view was such a good read and very insightful. I read this story as part of the compilation book Four: A Divergent Collection which at the time of writing this review was a cheaper option than purchasing the four stories separately.

The Son: A Divergent Story
The Son: A Divergent Story

5.0 out of 5 stars The Son, 22 Nov 2014
The Son tells how Four discovered his mother wasn't dead and how he was lied to by his Father and the Abnegation about her. It also tells how Max originally wanted him for Eric's job and how Janine already had her claws into the Dauntless at that point. We read how Four starts to investigate what is going on between Max and Janine and how the Dauntless initiation process is changed from her inside mole Eric which later affects Tris' own initiation. We also hear how Four gets his tattoo with the different factions symbols on him. A really good insight into the Erudite interventions in Dauntless and how the pieces of the puzzle started to click together for Four along with his thoughts and feelings on discovering his mother is actually alive. I read this story as part of the compilation book Four: A Divergent Collection which at the time of writing this review was a cheaper option than purchasing the four stories separately.

The Initiate: A Divergent Story
The Initiate: A Divergent Story

5.0 out of 5 stars The Initiate, 22 Nov 2014
The Initiate tells the story of Four's own initiation into Dauntless and how the initiation process was before it was changed when Tris joins Dauntless later on. I loved where Four plays Dare and becomes friends with Zeke and Shauna along with Amar. We also meet a bit more of Lauren who is the Dauntless born trainer when Four is the transfer trainer later on. The rivalry between Eric and Four is also explored a lot more and we find out why. We also learn of the circumstances surrounding Amar's death and how Four narrowly escaped the same fate. A really good short story which I really enjoyed and revealed more information about parts I already knew along with others I didn't. A really good read for fans of the Divergent series. I read this story as part of the compilation book Four: A Divergent Collection which at the time of writing this review was a cheaper option than purchasing the four stories separately.

The Transfer: A Divergent Story
The Transfer: A Divergent Story

4.0 out of 5 stars The Transfer, 22 Nov 2014
The Transfer tells the story of Four's own decision to leave Abnegation and you will already know the reasons why if you have read Divergent but it is really interesting to see how it all actually played out for Four and get a more in depth insight into what his life was like before Dauntless along with his own thoughts and feelings. We also meet Amar and learn how Four was given the name Four by him. A good short story and a nice insight in Four's life before Dauntless and Tris. I read this story as part of the compilation book Four: A Divergent Collection which at the time of writing this review was a cheaper option than purchasing the four stories separately.

Four: A Divergent Collection
Four: A Divergent Collection
by Veronica Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars Four from his perspective (Can Be Read After Divergent), 22 Nov 2014
There are four short main stories; The Transfer, The Initiate, The Son and The Traitor in this book which run just before Divergent and alongside Divergent told from Four's point of view so if you are wondering when you can read these stories without ruining the main trilogy of books for yourself then you will be fine to read this book once you have finished reading Divergent.
There are also three very short stories at the end of this book too; "First Jumper - Tris!", "Careful Tris" and "You Look Good, Tris" which are a few pages long each but are a nice addition to the book and again we get to see Four's point of view in a few of the parts from Divergent.
I would have preferred to have read this book straight after Divergent if I had known it could be read then but I didn't and read this after the final book Allegiant. I would definitely recommend reading it earlier as it does add to the content of Divergent and I was a bit disappointed with the ending of Allegiant so I feel the shine was taken off this set of mini stories for me by the time I read it but I love the character Four and these stories are really interesting to read.

A really good compilation of short stories which may be re-telling a lot of information already known from reading Divergent but are definitely worth a read to get Four's perspective on things along with additional parts that enhance the main trilogy. A definite must read for fans of the Divergent series.

Veito IP55 Blade S Waterproof Wall/ Ceiling Mounted Indoor and Outdoor Patio Heater, 2500 Watt, Black/ Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby it's cold outside......not anymore!, 18 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one amazing heater I have to say and both myself and my husband are extremely impressed with it. We have had it set up outside for the last couple of nights where the temperature has been around the 5Degree C mark and wow does this heater pump out the heat, so much so that we have had to turn it down from the highest setting as the heat was so strong. I can see this heater getting a lot of use on the colder nights when we have been sat outside and want to remain outside after perhaps having a barbecue or family get together as now there will be no need to go inside just because the temperature has dropped. I can also see why restaurants and places with outside areas use these types of heater as the heat they pump out truly is fantastic and is totally different to the heat from say a chiminea or other similar heater as the heat reaches you directly rather than just seeming to heat the air around you.

The heater itself is beautifully designed and looks really sleek and modern and is easy to attach to the wall with the supplied fittings. The supplied fittings also allow you to angle the heater rather than it just be sat straight out from the L bracket parts and so you can direct the heater to where you want the heat to go. The heater can be either vertical or horizontal but we have ours horizontal. I have measured the heater and it measures 90cm long by 13cm wide by approx 9cm deep and so is a very good size. The heater power is via a lead and a plug which is like any other plug in that you simply plug it in and switch it on at a plug socket. The manufacturer advises that the heater is weatherproof and there is actually a video online of it being soaked with water in a rain simulation. As of yet we have had no problems with the heater being outside but we have only had it a short period of time and so I shall update this review to advise if there are any problems with it in the future as I do come back to reviews periodically to update them. The heater also comes with a 2 year guarantee from the manufacturer so a little bit of peace of mind should anything go wrong with it in the future.

The heater has a digital display that comes on just next to the power button on the unit which I don't think any of the product pictures show and it is from this that you can see what power levels etc you are setting with the remote control. My one and only criticism and this has nothing to do with the heater itself (therefore I'm not reducing the star marking I have given it) is that the instruction book that comes with the heater isn't very well written and doesn't provide instructions for how to actually use the remote control other than advising to use the up and down arrows and press the auto, timer and level buttons. It doesn't advise what the C.0 - C.9 numbers mean and I think they mean cut off and the time in ten minute increments but as I can't seem to get them to stick when attempting to set them I haven't been able to fully confirm this. The same with the 10-50 number readings for the auto setting which I also can't seem to get to set properly and so haven't been able to fully work these out either. Despite countless twiddling with the remote control my husband and I cannot work out how to set the timer and auto functions on it and have been using the heater just by setting the power levels and turning it on and off manually. I have now emailed the company direct to ask them and I shall update this review once I receive a reply.

What the instruction book doesn't tell you but we have actually managed to work out is that the four heat settings are indicated by the following:
P1 - Lowest setting and would think this was the 1000W setting.
P2 - 1500W setting.
P3 - 2000W setting.
P4 - 2500W setting (came to this conclusion as this setting is absolutely toasty compared to the other settings).
To change between these settings you press the level button and use the up and down arrows accordingly which the manual does advise but not what the levels actually were.

The remote control is a nice small size and takes a CR2032 battery which is supplied with it. The heater does come supplied with the wall/ceiling fittings you need and so no need to purchase these separately. The heater plug lead is approx 240cm long including the plug.

This is a brilliant heater that not only pumps out the heat to keep you toasty warm but with it's stainless steel and black gloss style finish looks stunning too. As I said above at the beginning of my review we are very impressed with the heater and would definitely recommend it if this is something you are thinking of purchasing. I shall update my review regarding the remote control functions once I receive a response from Veito.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20