Profile for S. Wilson > Reviews

Content by S. Wilson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 78

S. Wilson (UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Monster High: 13 Wishes [DVD] [2013]
Monster High: 13 Wishes [DVD] [2013]

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster High 13 Wishes (No Spoilers), 5 Mar. 2015
I have two nieces who are Monster High mad and have just under 30 Monster High dolls and playsets at my house for them to play with when they visit along with tons more that I have bought them over the last few years (for at their own homes) and so I am no stranger to the world of Monster High.

The movie is all about Howleen wolf finding an ancient lamp which just happens to contain Gigi Grant, the genie of the lamp inside. The finder of the lamp is entitled to 13 wishes and Gigi warns Howleen to use them wisely and not for selfish or dark purposes. Unbeknownst to Howleen and her friends, Gigi has a dark twin called Whisp who wishes to escape the lamp and become a real person like her sister Gigi but Whisp has become evil over time and has nothing but bad intentions planned for Howleen and her friends. Howleen is desperate to be popular like her big sister and Whisp preys on this fragility. If Howleen makes too many wrong or selfish wishes then Whisp will increase control over her and eventually manage to escape the lamp and trap all of her school inside the lamp forever. Working out what is happening, her sister Clawdeen and her friends Frankie, Draculaura, Abbey and Ghoulia set out to rescue Howleen from Whips control. Can the friends triumph over evil and save Howleen and their school?............

A really good Monster High movie which teaches friendship, trust, doing the right thing and adversity over the odds. The film advises it is PEGI7 but my three year old is fascinated with the Monster High girls from watching my nieces with them over the last few years and he has now watched the film a few times. There all mild scary elements in it such as the dung beetle scene and when Whisp is throwing a wobbly but other than that I wouldn't say there was anything really unsuitable in there for a younger viewer unless they are a bit sensitive to monsters. A brilliant film for any Monster High fan and not too bad to have to watch as an adult either!

The film runs for approx 1h 10mins and has some bonus features of 3 shorts and a peek at Ever After High which I don't think was out when the film was initially released.

Philips HX6732/45 Healthy White Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips HX6732/45 Healthy White Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good cleaning at a reasonable price, 3 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions of this toothbrush from my first uses are that it cleans really well and whilst maybe not being as sleek or having as many functions as the current top toothbrush model from the Philips toothbrush range; Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White (my husband has the DiamondClean), it certainly holds it's own against it and at a very reasonable price in comparison. I can't fault the higher model as it truly is brilliant but just wanted to say if you didn't want all the extra functions that the DiamondClean has and/or have a lower budget then this toothbrush really is an excellent alternative.

The Healthy White toothbrush is very nicely designed and along with having a grip alongside the back of the toothbrush, it has pretty cosmetic features such as the pearlescent effect on the front and aqua power button. The design is very modern and the toothbrush has a nice weight to it and comfortable grip.

The toothbrush comes with the following:
1 x Healthy White Toothbrush
1 x Pro Results Brush head & Hygienic Travel Cap
1 x Diamond Clean Brush head & Hygienic Travel Cap
1 x Deluxe Charger which consists of 3 pieces (charger cover, travel charger & charger base with integrated cord wrap facility
1 x Travel case
1 x User Manual and guarantee

The charger lead has a two pin plug like most bathroom/hygiene products (toothbrushes, shavers etc) nowadays and so you will need a two pin to three pin adapter if like me you don't have any two pin plugs at home.

The toothbrush has 3 different cleaning modes; Clean, Sensitive and Clean & White and to select between these modes you press the power button until the option you want lights up on the toothbrush handle next to the relevant mode. The toothbrush also has a charge indicator as with the majority of toothbrushes these days. The toothbrush comes with two different brush heads and whilst one is for general cleaning, the diamond clean one is for the whitening of your teeth. The toothbrush has a smartimer function which indicates 30 second intervals for you to move to a different quadrant of your mouth and indicates when you have been brushing for 2 minutes in Clean mode and 2 minutes and a further 30 seconds in Clean and White mode. The toothbrush also has an easy-start function whereby it gently increases power over the first 14 brushes to help you get used to brushing with the toothbrush. There are instructions in the booklet on how to turn this easy-start function on and off. The travel case is a nice addition and just a basic case with spaces for placing the different parts of your toothbrush and the charger base has the nice touch of having a hidden cord wrap facility to shorten the charger cord and pack it away neatly if wished.

A really good toothbrush that looks good, cleans well and I think is reasonably priced in comparison to others on the market at the moment and I would definitely recommend it.

Breville Colour Notes 1.7 Litre Kettle - Cream
Breville Colour Notes 1.7 Litre Kettle - Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great and Fast to Boil, 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really good looking kettle which whilst retaining a simple design, looks really good and is comfortable to lift and pour. We have the Vanilla Cream model which is a lovely shade against the black and silver accents on the lid and base. The kettle boils very quickly and sounds very high powered without being too noisy and from extremely cold (winter water from taps) to boiling I have timed an approximate 3minutes and 35seconds for a full kettle (1.7l) of water. The product pictures and video don't show the kettle off as much as they should in my opinion as the kettle power switch and kettle itself (via the water gauge) both light up red when the kettle is turned on. I have tried to attach some photo's showing this to my review but at present Amazon seems to be having issues with customer images and I cannot at this time attach them. If I am able to attach them in future then I shall update this review to include the pictures.

The base is a very shiny stainless steel look and the kettle can be placed on this from any angle due to it being a 360 rotational base. The lead length is 67cm from the rotational base (there is a little bit of lead needed under the base to poke out the hole and I have not included this length of lead in my measurement) to but not including the plug. The lid comes completely off unlike our previous Breville kettle whose lid just flipped up and this does seem to make filling the kettle directly from the tap a little easier. The spout also seems to have been designed better than our last kettle and when pouring there aren't as many splashes and spills I think as with our last kettle. The filter can be removed for cleaning and before first use you need to boil and empty the kettle at least twice to remove any residue left in there from the factory (we boiled it a few times to be sure as we use the kettle for filling bottles for our baby daughter sometimes).

A really lovely looking kettle that is simple elegance and looks beautiful on my kitchen counter. I believe there are matching toasters to this range which I may have to check out now that I have seen how nice the kettle itself is. Oh I almost forgot to add the dimensions of the kettle which are approx 25.5cm high including base and lid, 23cm wide including spout and handle and 15.5cm for the base's diameter.

Tommee Tippee Explora Active Sipper (Blue)
Tommee Tippee Explora Active Sipper (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really doesn't leak!, 1 Mar. 2015
To say my son has been reluctant about giving up his bottles is an understatement. We have bought and tried numerous different types of cup and other than the basic sippy cup by Tommee Tippee this is the only style that we had any success with. Since introducing this cup we have finally managed to ditch the bottles and it truly is leak proof unlike the basic sippy cup. My son still likes to drink out of the basic sippy cup but we can't leave them sitting around as his baby sister has a habit of just tipping the sippy cup upside down and pouring water/milk/juice everywhere! We can safely leave this cup where my son can access it and have drinks from it whenever he wants to and despite his little sister still trying to pour drink everywhere this cup foils her everytime.

We have several of these cups now and when it becomes time to move my baby daughter onto a cup this style will be at the top of my list.

Fisher-Price Little People Disney Princess Rapunzel's Tower
Fisher-Price Little People Disney Princess Rapunzel's Tower

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapunzel!, Rapunzel!, Let Down Your.......Basket!, 1 Mar. 2015
Length:: 0:53 Mins

This Rapunzel's Tower addition to the Fisher Price Little People range is BRILLIANT! Yes it doesn't have as many interactive parts as the Princess Palace for example but it is such a brilliant play set to go alongside it or even on it's own. I'll just admit straightaway that I absolutely love Fisher Price products and in particular the Little People range and between my baby daughter and son we have a lot of the sets (Princess Palace, Ariel's Coach, Animal Farm, Pirate Ship, Noah's Ark, Loops n' Swoops Amusement Park, Birthday Party, Princess Figure Pack, Lil Movers Airplane) and they are all very much loved and played with. I bought this for my daughter and both she and her slightly older brother love playing with it together. My daughter is below the recommended beginning age for this toy but she happily plays with it with my son and they spend hours putting all of the little people princesses and Flyn up and down the basket lift, into Ariel's coach and over to the princess palace and back etc.

There is a little bit of construction required with the set as you have to affix the tower to the base with the screws provided and so you will need a small Philips/posidrive/crosshead screwdriver and also for inserting the 2 AAA batteries (yes 2 AAA and not the 3 AAA or even 3 AA that different parts of the product descriptions advise). The Tower doesn't have an off button or volume control but the song is short and sweet and the only interactive musical part on the set, so not a major issue in my opinion not to have these.

The Tower is approx 51cm tall including the removable flag or 45.5cm without it and the base is 37.5cm long by 14.5cm wide. The tower opens out across much of the base as you'll see from my feeble attempt at a product video and so it's a good guide to go by these dimensions rather than the tower closed.

The tower has tons of art work in the plastic which you can only see when looking closely such as the floor cobblestones, grass, butterfly, tower bricks, mushrooms, flowers, ivy and wooden strut effects in the plastic moulding along with the pre-placed stickers and furniture effects too. The tower set comes with Rapuzel (without shoes like in the movie), Flynn, a bed, a chair and table as movable objects and the door opens and closes too. When you press the window/picture above the fireplace it plays a tune and your little one can turn the crank to move the basket up and down the side of the tower with Flynn or Rapunzel in. The flag comes off, well it does when my baby daughter gets a hold of it! Rapunzel also interacts with the Princess Palace exactly the same as the Rapunzel in the Princess pack and so all of the Disney Little People figures interact in the Palace set.

A lovely set and I love the basket feature and so do my children. My daughter by watching my son is already grasping how to work the crank and so I can see many years of play out of this set just like the other Little People sets we have and I can thoroughly recommend the set if you are thinking of getting it. I have put the tower next to the palace in my review so you can see the size of each against each other and hope this review helps you if you are reading it.

There is a reason (well several) that Fisher Price products are one of our major 'go to brands' for baby toys and products and that is that they are always cleverly thought out, of a beautiful design, durable, entertaining, educational, encourage baby to develop and are always high quality just to name a few. I don't honestly think we have had one bad Fisher Price toy between either of our two children and it is certainly a name we have grown to love and trust. This Disney Princess Rapunzel's Tower is yet another fantastic Fisher Price toy in my opinion and as I have said above both of my children absolutely love it and love playing with it together. Another brilliant and much loved and played with toy in our home.

LeapFrog Learning Friends Play and Discover School Set
LeapFrog Learning Friends Play and Discover School Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Discovering School Play Set, 28 Feb. 2015
My husband and I bought this for our son for his Birthday to go along with the LeapFrog Learning Friends Adventure Bus that he already has. He really enjoys playing with the set and driving the school friends to school and back in the adventure bus and not only the Leapfrog school friends get to play with the slide and roundabout as he has visiting ambassadors from his little people sets come to the school too!

The school comes with three Learning Friend animals; Turtle, Tiger and Monkey and my son has the other three Learning Friend animals that came with the adventure bus; Penguin, Koala and Fox. If you were thinking of buying this set as a gift and could manage to get the adventure bus too or someone else could get one or the other for the little boy or girl concerned then they do really compliment each other and having the full six animal friends does make play with both toys much more fun.

The school has a couple of different functions which are either Learning Friend Animal led or by the attached teacher Giraffe. By sliding Giraffe along between the sections on the wall; Greetings, Story Time, Break Time, Sharing Time and Free Play or by placing one of the animals in the middle circle and pressing down they teach various things, tell different story's and sing different songs such as:

Sings London Bridge is Falling Down, ABC song, School time song, Learning friends song or Washing hands song. Tells a story about a birthday and birthday cake and then asks "When's your Birthday?". Tells a story about swimming and then asks "Do you like to swim?" Tells a story about a rainy day and sharing and has rain effect noises in the background. Tells a story about a seashell and how you can hear the sea through it and then has wave sound effects in the background. Tells a story about the moon hiding - my son particularly likes this story as he is obsessed with seeing the moon if we ever are out after dark. Tells a story about fireworks. Teaches about seasons and names them all. Tells a joke "What does a snowman eat for breakfast?.....snowflakes".

These are just to name some of the different features as there are quite a few more depending on what animal you use or sequence etc so there is plenty of interaction between the toy and your little one and lots of questions are asked so that your little one can participate such as asking them to share something about themselves.

The school has a roundabout that spins with two of the animal friends in and a slide that attaches and detaches easily (and sometimes detaches too easily), a door that opens and closes and a little table that the animal friends can use for break times along with a couple of background parts that don't do anything special when pressed such as the piano and easel. The slide has a lever at the top of it that when you place the animal friend on it and slide the slide they whizz down although my son prefers to just slide them down the slide himself.

The school measures approx 41.5cm wide by 25cm high by 24cm deep with the playground area and door flipped out to their full lengths but these sections can be closed in to almost close the school up a bit and when done so the school then measures approx 31.5cm wide by 25cm high by 13.5cm deep.

A really nice little playset that has lots of interactive combinations and honestly is an even better set with all six Learning Friend Animals and the Adventure Bus so I'd definitely recommend the two together if possible. I can see lots of play still in this set and especially as my baby daughter also likes playing with it so I'd say getting it from maybe one and over to give the most longevity.

Braun Silk Epil 9 9561 Wet/Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Attachments and Charge Station

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Torture Device!, 28 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having never used an epilator before, at first glance to me this looked like a torture device with the whirling blades (epilator tweezers) with spiked surrounds for extra pain (massage cap), whirling noise which went into hyper drive when put on the highest setting and to top it all off the bright light for seeing the torture area more clearly. My husband jumped in his seat when I turned this on in front of him and menacingly pretended to bring it near his face and asked me was I seriously going to use that on myself?!! I'm happy to say after a little (a lot) bit of nerves pre-using it for the first time that I still think of it as painful although I've dismissed the rest of my torture thoughts! Honestly having been a shaving or waxing woman for my legs my whole life, my first forays into the world of epilation were nearly abandoned after getting the epilator out of the box and charging it!

I think the pain element will lessen over time using it as I've read it's painful for the new user but eventually doesn't hurt and I suppose this is like tweezers which to anyone using them for the first time they would really hurt but for me when now shaping my eyebrows afters years of doing it, it doesn't hurt at all. Anyway I'll be interested to see how long my legs stay hair free and also test this over a period of time to see if the pain factor lessens. The things us woman have to do hey?!

The epilator comes nicely packaged and so would make a nice gift if this has been asked for by someone and you were getting this for them. All of the different heads/caps for the epilator (except for the main one with massaging cap attached - this is already attached to the main unit in the box) come in a sealed bag including the brush and pouch. The epilator also comes with a charging unit and lead which has a two pin plug like most bathroom/hygiene products (toothbrushes, shavers etc) nowadays and so you will need a two pin to three pin adapter if like me you don't have any two pin plugs at home.

Here's whats in the box:-
Silk-épil 9 (9-561 model)
High Frequency Massage Cap
Charging Lead with 2 pin plug
Pouch
Cleaning Brush
Instruction Booklet/Guide

The Silk-épil 9 itself is really nice to look at (when ignoring the tweezers head part!) and has a white glitter effect around the main part you hold and purple around the power slide part and on the massage cap. It's a nice weight and holding it is comfortable as it fits nicely in my hand. To turn the power on you have to push the two whit buttons inside the purple ring and turn the ring part till you select either the lower or higher speeds. The light come on automatically and I can't see a way to turn this off although to be honest it does really help with looking at where you are epilating especially in lower lights at nighttime. I'm not completely convinced this will work as I have been shaving so long but I'm going to stick with it for a while and definitely to see if the pain factor lessens. Obviously if you are already a long time epilator user then you'll know more than me but so far I like it and the added shaver head and trimming comb is very useful too.

AmiGami Monkey Figure
AmiGami Monkey Figure

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Creative Fun, 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AmiGami Monkey Figure (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant innovative idea for those with creative children and although a lot of the card and sticker colours for the monkey are pink and purple, the monkey itself is purple and the product description specifically mentions girls I wouldn't say this was just for girls as I am more than happy for my son to play with this. My son likes making things although is a bit too young for this set and so I have had to help him a lot with it but he has really enjoyed making and playing with it. The set is aimed for six years and older although I have two extremely creative nieces who are four and five and could very easily play with this with maybe a touch of help. A really good idea and not just a one off toy as the cardboard pieces and stickers can be re-used although I'm not sure how many uses you would actually get out the stickers but you can always replace the stickers of course with others.

The set comprises (and I have double checked these in the pack):-
1 x AmiGami Monkey (this is in solid plastic)
1 x Curling Tool (this is in solid plastic)
6 x Jewel Pins and 6 Caps (these are in solid plastic and consist of 2 parts each (i.e. the pin and a cap)
70 x Stickers on a sheet of paper (various shapes and sizes)
1 x Instruction Leaflet
30 x Colourful Cardboard Shapes (these all press out and have holes in them so you can attach them using the jewel pins)

The colourful cardboard pieces are in all different ear and tail style shapes and sizes for the mokey. Included in the cardboard pieces are 8 long pieces for curling with the curling tool. When I say colourful I mean very colourful and bright and in a range of very bright colours (pinks, yellows, blues and purples) with different patterns on too and so a really lovely burst of colour when your monkey is all 'dressed up'. There is an instruction leaflet which advises how to use the curling tool and pins and how to decorate the monkey. The monkeys head can be turned to put it into different poses but other than that it is one solid piece. The set comes in a lovely clear package and the fact that the pieces can be used over and over again means that this is not just a one off creative project and your little one can swap and change it around as much as they like.

I'm really impressed with the set and was originally only going to give it 4 stars because of the limited use of the stickers but the main plastic monkey along with the quality of the cardboard pieces (which are in a type of laminated covering for extra durability) has made me change my mind and give it the full 5 stars as we have already had some great fun out of the set and it looks like we will have quite a bit more. I've managed to test a few of the sets out now and they are all equally as good. A definite thumbs up from my son and I.

EDIT 28/02/2015:-
I have just bought one of each of the smaller AmiGami sets (Monkey, Giraffe, Cat and Bird) as alternatives to Easter Eggs for Easter for my two creative nieces after showing them the ones my son and I had made/decorated together. They LOVE creative sets and things to do and really liked the sets my son has and so I asked them did they want a couple of these sets rather than chocolate eggs for Easter (they get so many Easter Eggs from family anyway) and they both without any hesitation said yes and so I have ordered them for them both. I shall update this review after Easter to confirm if I was indeed right in my original review in suspecting that both of them would have no problems with the sets.

AmiGami Giraffe Figure
AmiGami Giraffe Figure
Offered by Midco Toys Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Creative Fun, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AmiGami Giraffe Figure (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant innovative idea for those with creative children and although the majority of card and sticker colours for the giraffe are pink and the product description specifically mentions girls I wouldn't say this was just for girls as I am more than happy for my son to play with this although I can see that it is primarily aimed at them. My son likes making things although is a bit too young for this set and so I have had to help him a lot with it but he has really enjoyed making and playing with it. The set is aimed for six years and older although I have two extremely creative nieces who are four and five and could very easily play with this with maybe a touch of help. A really good idea and not just a one off toy as the cardboard pieces and stickers can be re-used although I'm not sure how many uses you would actually get out the stickers but you can always replace the stickers of course with others.

The set comprises (and I have double checked these in the pack):-
1 x AmiGami Giraffe (this is in solid plastic)
1 x Curling Tool (this is in solid plastic)
67 x Stickers on a sheet of paper (various shapes and sizes)
1 x Instruction Leaflet
46 x Colourful Cardboard Shapes (these all press out and have holes in them so you can attach them using the jewel pins)

The colourful cardboard pieces are in all different feather ear and tail style shapes and sizes for the giraffe. Included in the cardboard pieces are 8 long pieces for curling with the curling tool. When I say colourful I mean very colourful and bright and in a range of very bright colours (pinks, yellows, oranges and greens) with different patterns on too and so a really lovely burst of colour when your giraffe is all 'dressed up'. There is an instruction leaflet which advises how to use the curling tool and pins and how to decorate the giraffe. The giraffes head can be turned to put it into different poses but other than that it is one solid piece. The set comes in a lovely clear package and the fact that the pieces can be used over and over again means that this is not just a one off creative project and your little one can swap and change it around as much as they like.

I'm really impressed with the set and was originally only going to give it 4 stars because of the limited use of the stickers but the main plastic giraffe along with the quality of the cardboard pieces (which are in a type of laminated covering for extra durability) has made me change my mind and give it the full 5 stars as we have already had some great fun out of the set and it looks like we will have quite a bit more. I've managed to test a few of the sets out now and they are all equally as good. A definite thumbs up from my son and I.

EDIT 28/02/2015:-

Bic Velleda Liquid Ink Dry Wipe Marker - Assorted (Pack of 4)
Bic Velleda Liquid Ink Dry Wipe Marker - Assorted (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and Colourful, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really nice set of whiteboard pens in very bright colours of Pink, Purple, Indigo and Blue. Not as chunky as my normal whiteboard pens but the fact that they are slimmer and more like a normal pen makes they nicer to hold I think. A bit more price wise than my normal pens as I normally just get the supermarkets own however the supermarket colours are in the standard red, black, blue and green and I really like the shades in this pack. I'll be keeping an eye out for if Bic decide to do other colours too as as far a whiteboard pens go these are really nice and a better quality than the ones I normally buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20