Profile for S. Wilson > Reviews

Content by S. Wilson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 71

S. Wilson (UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Revlon Nail Enamel, Red 14.7 ml
Revlon Nail Enamel, Red 14.7 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Vivid Bright Red, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm reviewing the Red shade which is a really nice vivid and bright red once on. I would say you would need to do 2-3 coats to get the desired shade as on just one coat alone the red looked to me too light but on the second coat looked a nice vivid red. The varnish doesn't dry in 30 seconds and I would say to ignore that claim as I haven't found a nail varnish yet that actually does fully dry in that short a time frame. I can say that it was fully dry and not touch tacky within 5 minutes.

The brush is very small with nice thin bristles and this made the application very smooth and easy to control although I do like the angled thick brushes with my normal nail varnish but this brush was more than sufficient for application. So overall a very nice nail varnish that spreads and applies well and after 2 coats is a nice vivid bright red shade. The red colour shade in the main product pictures is a good representation of the actual shade after 2 coats.

Air Wick Freshmatic Max Refill Lush Hideaways 250 ml (Pack of 4)
Air Wick Freshmatic Max Refill Lush Hideaways 250 ml (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Gorgeous Smell, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Please ignore any other reviews mentioning getting the actual gadget and just one of the refills as if you order this product you will get what you ordered and get the four refills. Myself and the other vine reviewers only received one of the refills purely for test purposes and also received the actual gadget so we could review that spray.

The gadget itself is a must have if you want to operate the spray and is actually priced quite cheaply on here and some grocery stores at the moment. The gadget itself is brilliant and having normally used plug in fragrance gadgets in the past I can honestly say I am now a non plug in convert. We have always used the plug ins in our house until the first of our two little ones was born and now we struggle to use them as for some reason they have a beaming golden light over them that says "come on toddler and baby and please try to rip me out of the plug socket"! Anyway because of this we are struggling to use the plug ins at the moment as we live in an old 1900 house that has the plug sockets just above the skirting board and so within baby and toddler reach as opposed to new build homes which have them I believe a good distance up the wall. We have two cats that stink when they do a poo and with not being able to use the plug ins our back up has been the spray which of obvious reasons with little ones and a 240litre fish tank also isn't a good option. This battery operated gadget is brilliant as you can place it anywhere you want or even on the wall.

The smell of lush hideaways is heaven sent and I honestly mean that as in it is a beautiful smell. I have mine in the kitchen just on top of the fridge freezer pointed towards the cat litter and the smell block out of the cat litter and carry through of the smell to the rest of the downstairs is beautiful. Honestly I can say it has obliterated any cat poo or wee smell along with toddler and baby poo smell in the house. I have it set on the medium setting and that is more than enough. There is a new smell out called "Mums Baking" which is only in supermarkets near me at present and having now discovered these battery operated gadgets and canisters and "Mums Baking and "Lush Hideaways" the old plug ins from a different company are in the process of being rehomed. A truly gorgeous smell and wonderful non plug hogging gadget.

Philips Sonicare HX9331/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Philips Sonicare HX9331/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Sleek Modern Design with Several Cleaning Modes and USB Charging Case, 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is by far the most beautifully designed toothbrush I have ever seen and used. The design is very sleek and modern and I like the fact that the cleaning modes only light up when you are using the toothbrush along with the silver against white accents. If you want a realistic view of what the toothbrush actually looks like then look at the main product picture where the woman is holding it next to the mirror as the other pictures in my opinion don't show off how gorgeous the toothbrush actually is in real life.

The toothbrush comes with one head, a silver charging base with two pin plug adapter, a charger glass that can go on the charging base (and the toothbrush still charges perfectly through this) to give a more attractive look in your bathroom and handy if you normally use a cup/glass anyway, a USB lead, a travel cap, travel case and USB plug to two pin plug adapter.

Now my first thought when I saw the USB lead and plug was why on earth did the toothbrush come with those? This was very quickly answered when I noticed the USB socket in the travel case and then further explained when I read the instruction booklet. Unlike all the other electric toothbrushes my husband and I have had in the past the travel case for this is not just a travel case but you can also use it to charge your toothbrush whilst away to save having to take the normal charging lead away with you or obviously use it to charge via a USB connection such as your laptop. I have to say I am seriously impressed with the toothbrush just by itself but the added features such as the chargeable travel case and glass charging unit and base really set this toothbrush into another league all by itself when compared against others we have had.

The toothbrush has 5 different cleaning modes; Clean, White, Polish, Gum Care and Sensitive and to select between these modes you press the power button until the option you want illuminates on the toothbrush handle. Yes I did say illuminate as you can't actually see the options (until you know where they are and really really look) until the power button is turned on and you select them as part of the sleek beautiful design is that these features are hidden from normal view. The polish mode is something I haven't experienced at home before (I don't think I have seen this on any other toothbrush) and I have to say after using the cleaning and white modes and then using the polish mode my teeth feel super clean.

The toothbrush truly is in a whole new league when compared against others and I shall be watching the price to see if it drops to below £100 as then we shall definitely be purchasing one for my husband too. In fact the price is the only 'negative' I can think of for the toothbrush as this is way out of the price limit we'd normally pay for a toothbrush, however having said that now having tested the toothbrush if we had that expendable income I wouldn't hesitate. A truly superior toothbrush and I would wholeheartedly recommend it and definitely worth the cost if you can afford it.

PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box

4.0 out of 5 stars We really like it and it works but refills are too expensive, 17 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our two cats have been using this litter box for the past month and it has actually made life so much easier and really does work so why not five stars? Purely and simply down to the cost of the refills which at the time of writing this review were just under 50pound for three on subscribe and save. This unfortunately makes this an unfeasible expense for us in a household with two young children and other bills to pay and so as much as I would love our cats to continue using this litter box once our tester re-fills run out it just won't be practical for us. If the refills were reduced down to a more manageable level at say maybe around the twenty pound mark then we would continue using it and pay out for this luxury but at the current price it is an unnecessary expenditure which we can't afford.

We have two cats and the trays are currently lasting us 10 days each. Below is the summary of the trays longevity and times used but please bear in mind that with the first tray used we didn't stir the litter halfway through and this does help the litter to last that tiny bit longer.

Tray 1 - 9 Days and used 48 times
Tray 2 - 10 Days and used 54 times
Tray 3 - 10 Days and used 53 times

I must also say that both of our cats whilst they do go outdoors actually come back home to use the loo rather than doing their business outside somewhere and so effectively they could be considered for example purposes as being house cats.

So for us to continue using the litter box it would mean buying the three refills each month which when compared to our old litter box costs of £12.40 for a 4 week period (10 litre bag cost us £1.55 and we use two a week) makes this substantially more expensive.

Anyway I'll stop harping on about the cost as others may have the disposable income to afford this and I can honestly say hand on heart if money wasn't an issue we would continue using it. The drastic reduction in smell alone has been wonderful. There is still the initial stink when one of the cats does their business but once it is scooped away weirdly enough the smell stops and that's just the solid materials alone as the ammonia smell that was there lurking in the background just isn't there while using this tray and I haven't had to get the air freshener out all month! There is minimal interaction required with the tray and you can literally change the box underneath and forget about it until you get to the trays limit (which for us is around the 10 day mark) but with a little stir halfway through of the crystals we manage to get another days use out of the trays. You can set the rake for 5, 10 or 20 minutes after your cat has done their business and it recognises this by when the cat breaks the activity beam. We originally had it set for 5 minutes and then 10 but had to change it to the 20 minute timer as our youngest cat thought it was a brilliant game to jump in the litter tray at first and then jump back out and wait for the rake to start!

I believe there is a permanent tray you can buy for this box which you'd fill with litter crystals and then treat as a normal litter tray in that you'd have to empty and clean it at the end of each cycle (for us 10 days). I would be very interested in finding out about this however the reviews don't seem to cover if it all fits correctly etc. Yes I know it may seem a bit bonkers to take away some of the point of this litter box by having to clean a tray every 10 days or so but the fact you don't have to clean it out every day or after every poop and the smell reduction alone from the litter crystals and rake system is seriously making me think about researching it some more. So in summary a brilliant invention that truly does work but un-affordable to continue on for us in the future unless the refill tray prices are drastically reduced.

Monster High Freaky Fusion Neighthan Doll
Monster High Freaky Fusion Neighthan Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster High Freaky Fusion Neighthan Rot Hybrid Doll, 17 Jan. 2015
At first glance the Monster High Dolls may seem a little creepy and the Freaky Fusion range are certainly unlike the 'normal' barbie style dolls but I must admit that if Monster High had been out and about when I was little then I would have actually liked dolls (well the Monster High ones anyway) as they are so different and unique plus they are all beautifully made.

Freaky Fusion is a new range of dolls from Monster High and the new DVD Monster High: Freaky Fusion [DVD] [2014] which was released in October last year (2014). During the Bite-Centennial the students travel back in time to learn about Frankie's scaritage but a lab accident from the newly discovered Monster High Catacombs Accessory fuses eight of the students into four new freaky fusions. Can Frankie and the new Hybrid students help her friends return to normal and stop a doomed experiment before it destroys the school--or worse?

Freaky Fusion has three main doll lines:
A doll line for the four new main hybrids at Monster High; Monster High BJR42 Freaky Fusion Sirena Von Boo Hybrid Doll, Monster High Freaky Fusion Neighthan Doll, Mattel Monster High Freaky Fusion Hybrids & Monster High Freaky Fusion Avea Trotter Hybrid Doll.
A doll line for four new freaky fusion dolls who are eight current Monster High Students (Lagoona Blue, Jinafire Long, Clawdeen Wolf, Venus McFlytrap, Draculaura, Robecca Steam, Cleo de Nile and Toralei Stripe) who by an accident through a time vortex become fused together thus making four more freaky fusions; Monster High Freaky Fusion Lagoonafire Doll, Monster High Freaky Fusion Clawvenus Doll, Monster High Freaky Fusion Dracubecca Doll & Monster High Freaky Fusion Cleolie Doll.
A doll line for four Monster High Students who are dressed up like another student in response to the events of Freaky Fusion which are Ghoulia Yelps dressed as Draculaura, Scarah Screams dressed as Toralei Stripe, Frankie Stein dressed as Clawdeen Wolf and Operetta dressed as Frankie Stein.

The Neighthan Rot Hybrid doll stands at around 31cm tall (the girl dolls are normally around 27cm tall on average) to the top of his Unicorn Horn. He comes with a yellow baseball cap which has blue flecks on it and has holes for his ears and horn, yellow boots which also have blue flecks on them, a t-shirt and trousers which both have an internal muscle and organ body parts design theme on them and all of these can be removed (I assume for more costume changes when and if made available later). He has grey zombie type skin and has black hair with yellow, red and blue streaks in. His tail is in the same colours as his hair and comes out from the base of his back. He has pointed unicorn ears and a blue unicorn horn to show his unicorn scaritage (along with his tail) and to show his zombie scaritage one side of his body (left hand side), face, leg and arm have a muscle effect on them rather than smooth skin to represent how he looks in the shows and film. He also comes with a diary, doll stand and hairbrush and his arms, elbows, wrists and ankles are jointed and so fully poseable.

Neighthan Rot is the son of a zombie (father) and a unicorn (mother) and so he is half zombie and half unicorn and likes to call himself a Zombicorn. He is 17 years old and is extremely clumsy although luckily he has self healing powers with his unicorn horn. He likes bold bright colours as they hide any spills from his clumsiness and he also likes accessorising with spikes to help represent his unicorn scaritage. His diary is brilliant and tells the tale of how his Mum and Dad met. Neighthan is also in love with Frankie Stein and is best friends with Sirena, Avea and Bonita who are his fellow Hybrids.

The doll is well made and there is lots of attention to detail such as his zombie side with the muscle detail on it such as his stomach and leg. The other thing I really liked is that the male dolls are usually so much more expensive and rare than the female dolls but when I bought Neighthan he was at a very reasonable price at just over half the normal full price. If you or your child are a fan of Monster High then this will make a gorgeous addition to the collection.

Noggin
Noggin
by John Corey Whaley

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Chances (No Spoilers), 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Noggin (Paperback)
This is not the normal genre of book I would read (I normally read paranormal, fantasy, romance or dystopian books in both adult and YA) and I have never read anything by the author before but I absolutely loved this book from start to finish. I don't know precisely what it was that drew me in and kept me reading other than I have to say this was pure writing genius. I think maybe one of the things was the way the character Travis was written in that his character and mannerisms are truly believable (like checking out his new body in a mirror including private parts which lets face it I think most boys (and men) would probably do quite quickly!) and this for me gave a realism to the book along with me immediately sympathising with his character and what it would be like to essentially be left behind while the world and those you love move on without you. The concept of a head transplant being done to a human is not something I can say I have ever given serious consideration or thought to prior to this book, but the way it is written really draws you in and makes you believe this is possible. I'm not ashamed to say that I actually googled if a head transplant has ever been done to a human (it hasn't but I feel a little bit sick now knowing it has been done to dogs, rats and monkeys) when I finished reading the book and I don't consider myself a daft person but the author truly made me believe this was possible and had possibly already been done. There was one part of the book near the end which actually had me shedding a tear or three and I won't spoil it for anyone but it has to do with a little sister. A thought provoking, beautifully written book that has quite a few funny parts in alongside the underlying message of second chances and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who likes YA fiction even if it's normally a different genre you normally read (like myself) as I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the story. I received this review copy free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The book follows 16 year old Travis Coates who after a very quick and sudden terminal illness with cancer chose to have his head cryogenically frozen with the hope that at some point in the future (he thinks when he agrees it will probably be far into the future) they may be able to either transplant his head onto another body, grow another body or transplant his head onto some sort of robotic body thus bringing him back to life. When he signs up for it he doesn't actually truly believe it will happen but at least it's hope of some sort even if slim and he thinks if it does happen it will be far into the future when all of the people he knows and loves will have already passed themselves. So imagine his surprise when one minute he is going to sleep and the next he is waking up only to find his head has been transplanted onto another boys body and it's just 5 years into the future. What follows in the story is his struggle to adjust to his new body and life but even more so the fact that he has been gone just long enough for his friend and girlfriend to have grown up (they are now 21) but he is still the same and it feels like he has just been to sleep and woken up. He can't understand why everything has changed so much but so little at the same time and just what is his Dad up to at work?

Micro Scalextric 1:64 Scale Turbo GT Race Set
Micro Scalextric 1:64 Scale Turbo GT Race Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Scalextric Set For The Younger (And Older!) Racer, 9 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent 1:64 scale track set which is one of the best sets that we have. The set advises it is for four years and over and with the hairpin bend it is definitely a track for the older racer. You do need to judge the bend and slow down for it and especially if you are in the tighter bend track (on the inside of the bend but outside of the track the rest of the way around) and quite a few times we have taken the bend too fast and the cars come off but thankfully the cars appear to be very solidly built and so far after several times shooting off the track they both still work perfectly. As the set is a micro scalextric set it is intended for the younger racer and if you are planning on getting this as a beginners scalextric set for a young child then you may wish to look at a different set as there is a skill level involved with this track that our young son cannot yet manage and so I would say this was definitely a track for the older racer.

The set comes with the following:-
2 Cars (one is black and the other white and both have excellent decoration on them and attention to detail - these are my husbands favourite ): scale cars that we have)
1 Transformer/Plug
2 x Short Curved Track Pieces
1 x Lap Counter Track Piece
1 x Hairpin Bend Piece
2 x Track Supports/Bridge Pieces
1 x Spare Parts Pack (This includes 4 new pick-ups/braids/threads and 2 new guide blade plates)

There are 15 pieces of track including the power base and all of the track pieces are fully interchangeable with other scalextric 1:64 track sets. There is the one circuit that is very easy and quick to build and dismantle and the cars stick to the track very well unless you take a corner too fast (such as the hairpin bend one) and then like any other set they fly off. Both controllers have adjustable dials on the side which you can turn with a screwdriver to restrict the trigger for younger racers and the instructions show you how to do this along with how to change the pick-ups/threads/braids too along with track maintenance.

This is an excellent set and has provided lots of entertainment for our family and in particular my husband who loves this set. The cars are really well made and you can tell a bit more effort has gone into these than some of the other cars we own. I think one of the other reasons my husband likes the set so much is that the cars are little Audi's and that there is a bit more skill required for racing on this set than some of the others we have especially with the hairpin bend. The lap counter is a welcome addition to the track and we have also used this on other sets we have that didn't come with their own lap counter. At the time of writing this review there was no price listed for me to advise if this is value for money or not but it is certainly an excellent set and has given our family a lot of entertainment value so far.

Dead of Winter (The Arcana Chronicles)
Dead of Winter (The Arcana Chronicles)
by Kresley Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars The Arcana Chronicles: Dead of Winter (No Spoilers), 6 Jan. 2015
There are no book spoilers for this book in my review below but there will be spoilers for the first two books; Poison Princess (Arcana Chronicles) and Endless Knight (Arcana Chronicles) so if you haven't read those two and don't want anything ruining for you then please do not read on.

Wow, Wow, Wow! I am not going to ruin anything in this book for anyone however I must say that I was literally sat there at the end of the book with my jaw dropping in a shocked open mouthed pose for a good few minutes. That's what an explosive, shocking, surprising, knock you off your feet and leave you open mouthed in shock ending there is to this book and I urge anyone who likes YA or Dystopian books to give the series a go if you haven't already. If I could have given more than 5 stars for this book then I really would have as I absolutely loved it. This is one of my absolute favourite series out of all the regular series that I read and I finished this in less than 2 days which is almost unheard of nowadays since I have had my two little ones - Simply Breathtaking Series! I was extremely lucky to receive an ARC (advance review copy) of the book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The concept of the series centres on the 22 Major Arcanum cards in Tarot (The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, The Empress, The Emperor, The Hierophant, The Lovers, The Chariot, Justice, The Hermit, Wheel of Fortune, Strength, The Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, The Devil, The Tower, The Star, The Moon, The Sun, Judgement, The World) and that these are actual real people who after a world changing destructive event are left to battle it out to the death until there is only one survivor, whom as a prize for winning becomes immortal until the next 'round' begins. The current leader and winner is the Death card or rather the person who represents Death.

I was heartbroken at the end of the last book when Evie leaves Aric aka Death to pursue and hopefully save Jack from The Lovers. His life story and how she is the only woman in the world that he can touch without killing melted my heart for this character and I couldn't for the life of me see how she could choose Jack who has lied to her over Aric. Well I'm not giving anything away from the plot or ruining the book for anyone by telling you that Aric follows her and that she is told that she needs to choose between them at the end of her mission to save a friend from The Duke and Duchess Most Perverse aka The Lovers. A couple of new cards introduce themselves in this book with one of them being The High Priestess and the other being The Emperor. Evie is still determined to end the game without having to be killed or kill her friends and there are some surprising new alliances along with the existing alliances already made. So will Evie manage to save Jack from The Lovers before he is tortured too much or killed and who will she finally choose between Jack and Aric? I know I am Team Death all the way despite Jack having some redeeming qualities and there being a possible explanation for him lying to her. Or will the decision be taken from her and The Lovers manage to finish Jack and/or Aric off or maybe another player in the game?........

The story is non stop action from start to finish and a thoroughly gripping read. Kresley Cole has written another fantastic book in this totally addictive series and my only gripe is that it will probably be another year before I get to read the next instalment. What an ending though......what an ending!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2015 11:11 AM GMT

by teNeues
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Family Planner Calendar, 4 Jan. 2015
This is an excellent family planner and actually the best one I have had so far (and I have tried a few different ones over the years). The reason for this is quite simply there is no rub off/transfer of ink/print between pages when writing the calendar out in one go and also no ink/print has transferred through to the reverse of the pages like it did with our Peppa Pig Planner last year. So the paper quality on this planner is a lot better than ones we have had in the past.

The planner is laid out in pretty much the same format as other planners I have had with five columns for different family members in each month. As we are a family of four I use the fifth column as a General column and list all our friends and family's birthdays and special events in that column which then leaves each of our columns free for our specific appointments each such as dentist, doctors, play dates etc. There is a decent amount of space for each day in each column for writing in and also a notes section at the bottom of each month which I use for reminders such as car tax, mot etc being due that month. The page decorations are beautifully done and all feature characters from The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child such as mouse, fox, owl, snake, the Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child.

There is also a sheet of stickers to use with stickers for Family Day Out, Parent Evening, Birthday and Holiday to name a few. My one suggestion for the calendar makers for future calendars would be if they could provide more of the stickers that are more useful such as the Birthday and Holiday ones and maybe reduce the more non-useful ones such as No School Today and School Event. Personally I'd prefer just to write anything like parents evening in the calendar myself and have more Birthday or Holiday stickers to make these stand out.

Another bonus to this planner that I haven't had on other ones in the past is that the planner starts from the August the year before so in this instance August 2014. So if this is your first planner you are getting a few months extra or if like me you like to be able to look back a few months at the start of the year to check when last doctors appointments were for regular blood tests etc then this enables you to transfer that information to the same calendar without having to keep hold of the full one from the year before.

A very well made family planner with beautiful illustrations and plenty of space for making a note of all the important things you need to schedule and I shall be purchasing the same calendar if it is available for 2016.

I have actually bought this and it is showing as a verified purchase under the duplicate entry for this calendar on Amazon here: 2015 Gruffalo Family Planner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Family Planner Calendar, 4 Jan. 2015