ARRAY(0xb0223d80)

Profile for S. Wilson > Reviews

Content by S. Wilson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 92

S. Wilson (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Character Fireman Sam Deluxe Fire Station Playset
Character Fireman Sam Deluxe Fire Station Playset
Price: 22.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Fireman Sam Deluxe Fire Station Playset, 17 April 2014
I bought this for niece's upcoming Birthday as she is Fireman Sam mad at the moment and I know she will absolutely love it when she receives it. She already has a lot of Fireman Sam stuff including the Fire Engine Jupiter and so when this recently dropped in price on Amazon I had to buy it for her. I have had a quick peek to check everything is there and working as her Birthday is not for a couple of months yet and I wanted to make sure it's all okay in case I needed to send it back but it all works fine including the bell which some other reviewers have said didn't work for them.

There are a lot of comments on the playset being poor quality and the plastic not being very good but to be honest I think all kids plastic playsets are pretty much the same quality in that they are built to be played with but not roughly handled and having recently bought Monster High, Peppa Pig and Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom playsets for other nieces I can confirm that this playset is of the same standard and actually not too bad. Obviously it wouldn't sustain being dropped from a second story window or anything but it is actually built to a good standard.

The Playset includes:-
1 x Fire Extinguisher
1 x Fire Bucket
1 x Cutters
1 x Fireman Pole

The Playset does not include the fire engine Jupiter but it does actually state this in the product description. The playset folds out and has a carry handle, opening doors and a working bell along with the fireman's pole and the turntable which unfortunately is made of cardboard and would have been better if it had been made of plastic in my opinion.

A really nice little playset and definitely worth the money if you manage to purchase it around the 20-23 mark which I did although I wouldn't have paid it's rrp of 29.99 if I'm being honest. Will definitely be loved by my niece and that's the main thing so a good little playset for a Fireman Sam fan.

Chicco Twist Armchair (Sea Green)
Chicco Twist Armchair (Sea Green)
Price: 43.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicco Twist Armchair (Sea Green), 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have had and tried quite a few toddler chairs over the last year or so and I have to say that this one is one of the best.

My son is made up with it as he can move it himself with it being so lightweight. He will drag it in front of the television to flip the chair back section and leg section out so he can lie down watching the television sideways and he has also taken to dragging the chair out from the living room into the kitchen to sit and watch my washing bottles etc while my newborn is swinging in her swing. My newborn is of course made up as she is fascinated by her big brother and she loves him sitting next to her in this chair - so two kids happy. My son is still fascinated (a month later) with flipping out the chair back and leg sections and it's almost like he has a bit of ocd as he absolutely has to do this and flip them back into the chair position at least three times each time!

The chair is really comfortable and I think foam filled as the shape bounces back immediately and as I have said above my son loves it. The chair back itself isn't really high enough to support my son sitting in it as a chair but he tends to use it with the leg section pulled out the majority of time with him in a sort of sloping position or fully extended out where he lies on it sideways on to the television if watching a programme. The instructions advise that your little one needs to be either 12m old to use it or walking but I have often put my newborn on the chair for two minutes while I go and wash my hands after a nappy change with a cushion under her bum to stop her sliding down and she loves it although I wouldn't leave her alone on it for any longer than this. The chair advises it can be used up till 5/6 years of age and my nieces who are 5 and 7 were around the other day and they loved sitting in it too although my son is just over 2 and he uses it every day.

The cover is removable for washing which is really thought out by the manufacturers as a lot of children's things seem to just be wipe down and you never really feel like they are clean from this. I have tried my best to pull back the zips for the cover and it is impossible without using a paperclip and I can confirm this. I have also checked all of the chairs measurements and they are exactly as per the advertised measurements (chair mode is 50cm wide, 38cm high and 44cm depth) (depth extends to 68cm with leg section pulled out) (depth extends to 88cm with chair back and leg section both pulled out and height reduces to 30cm).

The chair comes packaged in a plastic zip cover which is brilliant for putting on the chair when not in use or for storage if needed. I am very impressed with the chair and so is my son so a definite thumbs up from our household and I would definitely recommend the chair.

Lamaze Giggle Bunny Ball
Lamaze Giggle Bunny Ball
Price: 6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Lamaze Giggle Bunny Ball, 16 April 2014
We have quite a few Lamaze toys in our house now and as I have come to expect from Lamaze this is yet another brilliant high quality and extremely interactive toy for your little one. I bought the bunny giggle ball recently when it was at quite a reduced price on Amazon but knowing know what a brilliant little toy it is I would not hesitate to purchase it again at a slightly higher price if necessary however I don't think I'd pay the full rrp.

There are lots of bright stimulating colours on the Bunny Ball along with different textures such as his furry head and mouth, satin feel ears and nose and fluffy tail and ribbon whiskers. One of the bunny's ears crinkles when your little one touches and holds it and this is also the one with the on and off button. To turn the Bunny on and the giggles every time it moves you simply hold down on the heart Lamaze button for 3 seconds and to turn it off you hold down on the same button for 10 seconds. This is a really good feature as unfortunately the bunny's batteries aren't replaceable so one used the giggle function would not work anymore and you would need to use him simply as a soft toy. The purpose hole in his right ear is perfect for little hands to hold him and my daughter sits there very happily in her chair whacking him about whilst holding him via the ear.

A lovely little toy which both of my children enjoy despite it being originally bought for my newborn baby and not my toddler but he keeps snagging it from her and running off with it. This would make a lovely little Easter present (I've bought several for baby nieces and nephews who are too young for chocolate eggs) or a lovely little Christmas stocking filler.

Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Swing 'n Rocker
Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Swing 'n Rocker
Price: 84.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs some tweeking please Fisher Price!, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think I must point out immediately (as another reviewer has done) that the chair does NOT vibrate as per the product description and there is actually no vibration unit attached to the chair. This must be a product description error by Amazon rather than Fisher Price as none of the packaging or instruction booklet that comes with the swing rocker advises about any vibration feature.

We have been very lucky to have had both the Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker and Seat and the Fisher-Price Discover and Grow Take Along Swing to test in the past and so I thought what a brilliant idea that Fisher Price have combined the two together to make this 3-in-1 swing and rocker. The idea is brilliant however there is one major flaw in what Fisher Price have tried to do and that is that the seat unit does not have any vibration or music unit attached to the chair itself and therefore the seat has no functions of it's own when used separately from the swing section other than it being a rocker chair. This is disappointing as it would have been nice to have been able to buy the one product to save space etc but obviously have the benefit of the two different products so hopefully Fisher Price may take the feedback on board and include a seat vibration/music unit on future models? If Fisher Price did do this then I think they would definitely have created a superb product instead of a good product.

What I really like about the swing is that unlike the Fisher-Price Discover and Grow Take Along Swing you don't need to start the swing off with a push and that the swing senses the babies weight and adjusts the speed accordingly so that in effect it won't slow down as the baby gets heavier. My negative is that the frame feels a lot bulkier although it does fold away for storage.

The swing unit itself holds the music and obviously the swing function and you can choose from either nature sounds or music and it also has volume control. The swing has 6 speed settings unlike the discover swing which appears to have the same setting despite me adjusting the speed on it and so I don't know if I received a faulty model of the discover swing? The seat clicks onto the swing and as the description and pictures show you can take it off and use it as either an infant seat or a toddler rocker separate to the swing.

The seat itself has a five point safety harness and can be used with the kickstand out for your baby napping or used as a rocker seat albeit you need to manually rock the seat yourself. The seat has a removable toy bar which has a elephant and a lion toy on it and I'll be honest in that I'm disappointed with this too as when comparing to the toy bar on the Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker and Seat I feel that they should have included the same sort of toy as the frog on it which would have at least given the chair the music element or maybe even put some rattly beads inside the lion and elephant? The seat pad itself is machine washable and can be tumble dried although drys very fast without putting into the tumble dryer too.

You will need a Phillips/posidrive screwdriver to assemble the swing and rocker as it comes flat packed in separate pieces in it's box which is the normal with these sort of toys and I have come to expect some small assembly with them which in my experience isn't really a problem providing you have the right tools. The infant seat and swing are suitable upto 9kg/20lbs but the toddler rocker seat is suitable up to 18kg/40lbs so an ideal toddler seat for your little one getting bigger.

All in all a good product and a great swing but as I have been spoiled and know what the two products on their own are like it just doesn't live up to them as separate products unless the chair is tweeked to have a vibration/music unit included and maybe the toy bar improved a little bit too so I am slightly disappointed which doesn't normally happen with Fisher Price products.

Lamaze Cheery Chirpers Ostrich
Lamaze Cheery Chirpers Ostrich
Price: 5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Lamaze Cheery Chirpers Ostrich, 16 April 2014
We have quite a few Lamaze toys in our house now and as I have come to expect from Lamaze this is yet another brilliant high quality and extremely interactive toy for your little one. I bought both the Ostrich and the Flamingo Cheery Chirpers recently when they were at quite a reduced price on Amazon but knowing know what a brilliant little toy they are I would not hesitate to purchase them again at a higher price if necessary.

There are lots of bright stimulating colours and textures on the Ostrich along with different textures such as his furry head and wings, satin feel nose and body and long cord legs. His feet are both made with a crinkle material which crinkles when your little one touches and holds them and he also has little red, blue, yellow and green pieces of ribbon around his neck to signify the feathers that real Ostriches have along with a little felt head feather. He chirps when he is shaken and my son has taken to walking around the house with the Ostrich in one hand and the Flamingo in the other making them chirp away despite these two having been bought for my newborn daughter! My daughter loves both of the chirpers but especially the Flamingo as she has a long nose that is just perfect for having a little chew on whereas the Ostriches nose isn't quite as long!

The chirpers both measure approx 14cm long from the tops of their heads to the ends of their bodies but measure approx 22cm long from the tops of their heads to the ends of their feet. The circumference of their necks is approx 8.5cm around and is the perfect width for little hands as my daughter loves sitting holding them and then promptly trying to eat their noses!

They come individually packaged in their own plastic bags and my one annoyance is that rather than using some sort of plastic loop tie to attach them to their packaging card, Lamaze has decided to use tag pins (like is done with clothing to attach price tags) which have been unceremoniously shot through the poor things heads! Both the Flamingo and the Ostrich have little holes in their heads where the tags have been which you can't see unless you knew they were there and looked but it's annoying me as I know they are there and it's all I can see when I look closely so please Lamaze can you think of another better way to attach your packaging?

Overall though I am extremely happy with this purchase and so are both of my children. This would make a lovely little Easter present (I've bought several for baby nieces and nephews who are too young for chocolate eggs) or a lovely little Christmas stocking filler.

Lamaze Cheery Chirpers Flamingo
Lamaze Cheery Chirpers Flamingo
Price: 5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Lamaze Cheery Chirpers Flamingo, 15 April 2014
We have quite a few Lamaze toys in our house now and as I have come to expect from Lamaze this is yet another brilliant high quality and extremely interactive toy for your little one. I bought both the Flamingo and the Ostrich Cheery Chirpers recently when they were at quite a reduced price on Amazon but knowing know what a brilliant little toy they are I would not hesitate to purchase them again at a higher price if necessary.

There are lots of bright stimulating colours and textures on the Flamingo along with different textures such as her furry head and wings, satin feel nose and body and long cord legs. Her feet are both made with a crinkle material which crinkles when your little one touches and holds them and she also has little red, yellow and pink pieces of ribbon for her tail. She chirps when she is shaken and my son has taken to walking around the house with the Flamingo in one hand and the Ostrich in the other making them chirp away despite these two having been bought for my newborn daughter! My daughter loves both of the chirpers but especially the Flamingo as she has a long nose that is just perfect for having a little chew on whereas the Ostriches nose isn't quite as long!

Koochi Pushmatic Stroller (Mix Magenta)
Koochi Pushmatic Stroller (Mix Magenta)
Price: 128.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Koochi Pushmatic Stroller (Mix Magenta), 15 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feel I must point out first and foremost that if you are looking at the product pictures and wondering just what colour the mix magenta actually is as there are two pictures of the stroller which show an almost purpleish shade and one picture which shows a bright pink colour........it is actually the bright pink colour. I was slightly disappointed as I had originally seen the purpleish colour and that was what originally drew me to the stroller. When I unpacked the box it was a bit of a shock to pull out the bright pink stroller and I then had to double check I had selected the correct colour!
Anyway the colour whilst initially a bit dazzling has now grown on me with use and even my hubby who originally said there was "no way he was pushing our daughter down the road in a bright pink stroller" has come around and quite likes the colour now.

Weight and Padding:-
The stroller is brilliant and I must say so much more padded than other strollers we have had (OBaby Atlas Black Scribble and Mothercare Nanu) as the padding is really nice and thick and looks like it must be really comfy for our daughter. The stroller is really light and is a dream to push especially when comparing to the weight of the pram I have to use when I take both children out Britax B-Dual (Chili Pepper) and so it is a welcome break on my shoulders and arms when I take my daughter out in this when my son is in nursery.

Recline & Calf Settings:-
The stroller is suitable from birth and fully reclines to lie flat along with other recline positions which you simply select by tightening the webbing with the adjuster at the back. So if you want to purchase just the one stroller to do your little one through to the toddler stage from newborn as opposed to first having a pram and then a stroller after the pram then this one would definitely be suitable. The stroller also has an adjustable calf support which you simply adjust to the desired level by using the buttons on either side.

Wheels:-
The front wheels are lockable for a rigid wheel or you can have them on the swivel setting which I prefer and the three wheel style looks super sleek in my opinion. The wheels themselves appear to be solid rubber and so no chance of punctures when out and about which again is a really important thing to consider if doing a lot of walking etc.

Hood, Basket & Extras:-
There is a viewing window in the hood and the basket underneath is nice and big and takes a lot of shopping. The stroller comes with a head hugger cushion, footmuff/cosy toes, raincover, kitbag to store the raincover when not in use and seat belt pads.

5 Point Safety Harness:-
There is of course a 5 point safety harness which has a slide attachment for the chest straps to the waist straps as opposed to the normal hook and eye style that seems to be on the majority of strollers but this is not a problem for us as our Cosatto Noodle Supa Highchair (The Yokels) (which we absolutely love and also is really comfy with multiple height settings etc) has the same style fitting on it's safety harness too. This was when I noticed that Koochi is owned by Cosatto (also confirmed on the back of the instruction manual) which explains a lot of the bold colours and similiar designs. The chest pads slot over the chest straps rather than a velcro seal as with our sons stroller and the car seats we have and the pads are really padded too. There is also a crotch pad for extra comfort.

Folding the Stroller:-
There is a little bit of a knack to folding the stroller whereby you need to press the button on the handle at the same time as twisting the handle and lifting the lever on the side of the pushchair and pushing down on the handle to fold the stroller. This sounds more complicated than it actually is although if you haven't done this before then it does take a little getting used to.

Raincover:-
The raincover attaches with poppers to the hood rather than the old style throw over the whole stroller and then secure everywhere with velcro. My sons Mothercare Nanu stroller which is kept at his Aunties for when she looks after him has this same popper style and I personally don't like this as much as the velcro style but it seems to do the job in light showers although I wouldn't really go out in heavy gale rain weather with it as if it's like the Nanu then the raincover simply won't be able to withstand that sort of weather. I do like that they have included a kit bag for storing the raincover when not in use as I haven't had these with any strollers in the past and it is always a nuisance trying to re-fold them and pack them as compactly as possible without losing precious basket room.

So in summary we really really like the stroller (although I still wish it had been in the more purpleish shade as I had really had my heart set on that colour) and it is brilliantly designed and extremely functional and comfortable for our daughter. According to Koochi's website the stroller comes with a free 1 year guarantee which is also a bonus. I would definitely recommend the stroller and yet another high quality product from Cosatto.

Philips HairClipper HC5450/83 with DualCut Technology and Titanium Blades
Philips HairClipper HC5450/83 with DualCut Technology and Titanium Blades
Price: 32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips HairClipper HC5450/83, 15 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My hubby has been using these for a little over a month now and he really likes them and they are one of the best hair clippers he has had. I can't comment on the beard trimming aspect of them as my hubby doesn't have a beard but as a set of hair clippers he thinks they are really good.
He advises they are very comfy in the hand to hold (and I can concur from when I have finished his hair off for him) and he especially likes the turbo button on them which he had to use recently as he had allowed his hair to grow longer than normal and needed the extra boost to help trim his hair. He hasn't had to test to see if the clippers do in fact last the advertised 90 minutes cordless from an hours charge but they last the 20 minutes or so that it normally takes him.
My hubby shaves his own hair and then I normally ensure straight edges at the very back and behind his ears for him and we have had no problems with a variance in hair length as some of the other reviews advise. The clippers come with 3 beard attachments which we haven't used as hubby does not have a beard and it comes with the one hair attachment that can be adjusted to 24 different length settings but you only need the one attachment with the clippers adjusting the length via the turn wheel at the front. The clippers come in a handy case but I agree with another reviewer in that a bag would have been better or else some sort of cushioned insert to use in the case to prevent them being knocked about.
A really nice and extremely comfortable in the hand set of clippers which hubby is very impressed with.

VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Train Station
VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Train Station
Price: 33.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Vtech Toot Toot Drivers Train Station, 15 April 2014
This train station along with the VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Fire Station was supposed to be the last of the Toot Toot range that we had left to get for our son except they have just brought out even more new products much to ours sons glee and our disappointment! We actually purchased this train set last September when it was on offer on Amazon to put away for our son's birthday after Christmas and so he has only just started playing with this despite up having physically owned it longer.

The train set is HUGE just to warn any prospective purchasers as we didn't quite realise how big it was when we bought it but it takes up a good chunk of our living room floor when it is set up and there will be no chance to have it set up in our sons room unless we pack away all of his other toot too sets. I have included 3 pictures within the product pictures which hopefully show how big it is and it is next to quite a large three seater sofa for scale. My son loves it though and especially the train which he likes to play with away from the set too and have it just chugging along on the wood floor.

The set actually only has 9 smart points that I can count and not the advertised 10 but to be honest you get so much track etc for the price (assuming bought at below the 35mark) that I'm not too bothered about one smart point being missing. You need 3 AAA batteries for the train and 2 AA for the train station and we use rechargeable batteries with all of our sons toys and they seem to last a fair while on the set providing it's not on all day of course. The train does sometimes get stuck on some of the track but a gentle prod usually gets it moving again. The crank shaft handle is a little difficult for my toddler but he can manage it although I would imagine a younger baby would struggle. I love the way the train pauses at the storage shed by itself for your little one to load up it's cargo and the set comes with a little green boulder to use as cargo along with space on the train bed to fit another Toot Toot vehicle.

One niggle would be that the bridge supports are not great and do tend to break off easily if my toddler knocks them by accident but all in all a fantastic set and definitely the best Toot Toot set he has so far. Now we just have to get him the new new ones that have come out - please please stop Vtech! :p

VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Police Station
VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Parking Tower
Toot Toot Drivers Convertible with Caravan
Toot Toot Drivers Cargo Train with Wagons
VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Service Centre

Philips AVENT 2-in-1 Electric Steam Steriliser SCF922/01
Philips AVENT 2-in-1 Electric Steam Steriliser SCF922/01
Price: 22.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Philips Avent 2-in-1 Electric Steam Steriliser SCF922/01, 15 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This sterilser became available for us at the perfect time as our Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Electric Steriliser Kit had just broken down and having just had our second baby before Christmas we really couldn't do without a working steriliser in the household. I'm sorry to say though that after a few weeks use we have relegated this steriliser to be kept as a spare and have gone and purchased another Tommee Tippee one and I'll explain as to why we have done so.

Our main 'issue' with this steriliser is that it is only meant to have the capacity to sterilise 5 bottles at a time and not the 6 at a time that we can sterilise with the Tommee Tippee version, now this on it's own wouldn't be a major problem apart from the fact that it simply does not hold 5 bottles unless they are Philips own Avent bottle brand. Whilst we do own and do use Avent bottles, the majority of the bottles we use are Tommee Tippee bottles as our newborn prefers the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Advanced Comfort 260 ml/ 9fl oz feeding bottles (Pack of 4). We have actually struggled to even fit 4 of the Tommee Tippee bottles into the steriliser and there is no way that it would fit 5. Philips Avent have concentrated so much on making the steriliser as compact and space saving as possible that they have left no room for anyone to use a wider bottle within the unit and even to be able to sterilise the standard 6 that most other sterilisers fit.
I do understand that a company would obviously prefer you to use their brand for everything feeding related but sometimes this is simply not practical and both of my children have reacted totally differently with different bottles/brands and from speaking to other mums this does not seem to be restricted to just my children as lots of mums I know have had to try a few different brands and types of bottle before their little one is happy and feeds properly with one.

Another issue I have with the steriliser is that it takes a very long 10 minutes at a time to sterilise and then you have to wait a good further 5 minutes for it to cool down enough for you to remove the bottles, which when you have a screaming baby wanting their bottle that very second is just simply too long in my opinion and in our experience as our daughter was going from upset to nuclear tantrum for the extra time it was taking. The Tommee Tippee one takes 5 minutes to sterilise and then you can get away with taking the bottles out 3 minutes later which is nearly half the time that the Philips steriliser takes.

Another final small but annoying issue for us is that there are no tongs included with the steriliser so unless you already have a pair (which thankfully we did from out last steriliser prior to going and purchasing another Tommee Tippee one) how on earth are you meant to pick up and attach the teat on top of the bottles???!!! The instruction book advises that it is perfectly okay to pick the teat up with your washed hands and attach to the bottle but I'm sorry surely that defeats the purpose of sterilising them in the first place and I just don't feel comfortable doing that. I think I am quite chilled out as a mother and certainly second time around as opposed to how I was with my first born but there is no way that I would think that touching their teats was acceptable even with washed hands. I really think that Philips need to re-think the no tongs included idea and include a set as they are surely pence to make for them. Anyway apologies for ranting about the tongs but it really annoyed me that they have decided not to include a set as in my mind this is an essential extra with a steriliser.

If you are using Philips Avent bottles and want a compact space saving steriliser then yes I would give this a go but be mindful of the sterilisation and cool down time along with the no tongs included. If you are not sure what type of bottle your baby will prefer and or want to use other brands of bottles then personally I would consider having a look at this in store somewhere before purchasing just so you have an idea of how slim it actually is and be mindful that you are unlikely to fit 5 bottles in it.

A good steriliser just not for us I'm afraid but we shall be keeping hold of it as a spare in case anything happens to our Tommee Tippee one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20