Profile for J. George > Reviews

Content by J. George

J. George (Ipswich, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Plasma Ball 6-inches Education and Science
Plasma Ball 6-inches Education and Science
Offered by Gadget Grotto

4.0 out of 5 stars If only they'd left off the audio function ...., 27 May 2015
Audio function only seems to work with me tapping the stand with a finger - not my idea of an 'audio' response. However, in constant mode it's wonderful and brings out the inner Vincent Price!

10m Of 6mm High Grade HiFi Loud Speaker Cable - Oxygen Free OFC - Low Resistance
Offered by GamePC

5.0 out of 5 stars Open up your ears, 5 Mar. 2015
In 1976, at the beginning of an apprenticeship in electronics, I put together the best hi-fi system I could afford using my ability to decipher specifications. What I failed to do was purchase anything other than slightly upgraded bell-wire for speaker cable. Still, the sound seemed awesome! And so, to a fortnight ago, and a conversation over a couple of pints with some current hi-fi aficionados. This led me to here and this product.
Let's not be coy, you could safely use this stuff to wire in your cooker - it's that thick. Which therein lies the problem I faced - my system is so old school I had to trim the ends to go into the spring connectors on the speakers and the similar type on the amp (I am currently thinking about sourcing out some plugs to improve this situation, but I may not bother. Read on.)
I decided to try Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells (listening to a few minutes before I begun work) as I thought the range of instruments would be a great test. My initial impression were that there seemed to be a slight improvement, but thought that it could just be a bit of psychological patting on the back to justify the slight expense and the aggravation of fitting. Then the bass kicked in.
If you've ever replaced a stock exhaust on a motorbike with a after-market one, you will appreciate what I'm saying here - my hi-fi can now breathe. Not quite a quantum leap, but it's like moving one room closer to the recording studio.
My suggestion? Stop reading on this and click buy. You won't regret it.
(But please take my advice with a pinch of salt - after all, it took someone with an electronics degree nearly forty years to set up a great sound system. :-) )

The Intruders
The Intruders
by Michael Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner - what more can you ask for?, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Intruders (Paperback)
I bought this on the strength of the first two episodes of the BBC’s adaptation and read it over the course of a weekend. Due to how the initial plot development was slightly rewritten for television, I was aware of the major ‘what-the-hell-is-going-on?’ question, long before it really appears in the novel. I don’t however, consider this to be too much of a delayed reveal if you are reading the book first. The prose has a great rhythm and voice (I loved the frequent sardonic observational quips) and though some of the characters fell off the radar for a number of chapters, the key point is that I turned the pages, wanting to read on.
It is often said that after a novelist entertains, they should try to hold a mirror to society and inform. Marshall’s solution to this in this book is well worth the relatively brief, and highly enjoyable, investment in time.
Twilight Zone moment: I included a DVD from my Wish List to make up this order. It was only when it arrived I realised the weird coincidence. It was a horror movie entitled Session 9. Read the book and discover why that is so spooky.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value - good sound, 15 Sept. 2014
Excellent value - good sound. Buying Tip #1: my purchase came with a gold-plated adaptor, so check before you get tempted, like me, to click on 'What Other People Bought After Viewing This Item'.

Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black
Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black
Offered by bestproducts35

5.0 out of 5 stars Light your way, 23 Jan. 2014
It's simple: this product does the business. This light is not about being seen, it's about seeing your way. What it does not do is stop your being scared witless by a deer jumping out into a country lane as you peddle past. Buy and enjoy!

MetroFlash Danger Zone Tail Light
MetroFlash Danger Zone Tail Light
Offered by GsportsUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light - poor switch, 5 Jan. 2014
I cannot quibble at the price I paid, nor the quality of the retina-dissolving illumination, but the switch is such hair-trigger device that I use a bottle top and an elastic band to stop it accidently draining the batteries whilst not on my bike. Be warned – and carry extra batteries.

The Peacock Cloak
The Peacock Cloak
by Chris Beckett

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories for afar, 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Peacock Cloak (Paperback)
A superb collection of SF shorts. What I found appealing was that each one seemed to contain a kernel of deep thought about science and people’s reaction to it, but without labouring the point – in essence, exactly my kind of SF.

SPORT DIRECT SLMS6 Mini Silicone LED Light Set, Black
SPORT DIRECT SLMS6 Mini Silicone LED Light Set, Black
Offered by Sports4ever

5.0 out of 5 stars Legal?, 13 Feb. 2013
Appear to be great value for money, but be aware that the wording on packaging is different to advertised. There is a warning stating: `Do not use in flashing mode'. To my mind there's a strong whiff of someone in the legal department covering the manufacturer's rear, but a little bizarre given as it's probably the reason 99.9% of cyclists purchase this type of light.

Ghost Stories from the BBC: The Signalman / Stigma / The Ice House (DVD)
Ghost Stories from the BBC: The Signalman / Stigma / The Ice House (DVD)
Dvd ~ Denholm Elliott
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Recall Christmas past, 7 Dec. 2012
Christmas Eve during my teenage years included watching these delights. Along with the earlier adaptation of Oh, Whistle, and I’ll Come To You My Lad, The Signalman is one of the most scariest pieces of television I have ever experienced. So, buy this and the others in the series and wait for Christmas. Get out the mince pies, open a bottle and turn off the lights. And try not to be alone …

Waterman Carene Amber Lacquer Gold Trim Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed
Waterman Carene Amber Lacquer Gold Trim Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars Bliss in ink, 7 Dec. 2012
I bought this as a treat for myself, and for the price I paid, it was an absolute bargain. Every author needs at least one great pen, and I’d recommend this to anyone who loves writing. Shame it doesn’t come with an editing facility …

Page: 1 | 2