Profile for Solo Walker > Reviews

Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery
Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry excuse for a caring professional, 13 Nov 2013
Very sad reading from a very dispassionate man, so pleased he is not my GP. He lacks compassion and has a very political agenda in my opinion.
However, he does provide insight into the machinations of the NHS & all the needless things one has to do to be a GP, most of it politically motivated by the political party in charge.
Never mind that the stupid rules & paperwork are not just something medical staff have to do. Try banking or any other industry, in a modern, developed country & you will find they have to jump through similar hoops to justify their existence without the financial rewards.
I only wish that this GP was a real people "person" & could have balanced the positive experiences with those that were negative.

No Dope Here? Anti-drugs Vigilantism in Northern Ireland
No Dope Here? Anti-drugs Vigilantism in Northern Ireland
by John Lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating & important piece of journalism about paramiltaries and drugs, 6 Jan 2013
No Dope Here raises many issues about drug policy and the activities of paramilitaries in northern ireland. The action taken by republicans & loyalists against drug takers and dealers makes for some very shocking reading. It is often described in detail and the victims and many protagonists are named. The paramilitaries, act as judge, jury and mete out the punishments or executions often with some public support.

The author lives in Derry amongst many of the people described in the book. Although he is very careful (not surprisingly) to be dispassionate & balanced. For me, in the true tradition of the finest journalism, there is a subdued anger that comes across. Firstly, at the stupidity and hypocrisy of failed drug policies in general and secondly, at the sheer, bloody brutality of the paramilitary thugs. It takes great courage to write about a subject in an area where you live and where armed thugs roam and who might just take exception to your viewpoint.

I highly recommend this brilliant work to anyone who who has an interest in the "troubles", as they are not over yet & there is no sign of them going away for the foreseeable future.

The Making of the English Working Class (Penguin History)
The Making of the English Working Class (Penguin History)
by E. P. Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book I would take on a Desert Island, 28 July 2012
First read this at least 30 years ago. Still have a paperback copy in my bedside draw. It is my companion when I seek comfort or get lost in the daily grind of work, home, work & cannot sleep. I read random pages, sometimes I only manage a few lines. But, the book has an intense depth in each sentence of such imagery and knowledge.
I know where I come from and who I am when I read this book. I get great strength knowing my predecessors suffered and survived far greater hardships than I will ever imagine or endure. Not only that, but they fought to obtain rights and recognition for their contributions to the making of the society that I and others take for granted today.

To the English Working Class and the late, great E.P Thompson I am eternally grateful.

Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Offered by Apple Gear
Price: 125.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, easy to use camera, 25 July 2012
A really beautiful camera that fits in the hand perfectly. I am a keen walker & have walked miles with it attached to my wrist, so it is a robust piece of equipment. Battery life has really surprised me, weeks down the road & the original batteries are still going strong.
The camera is so easy to use, I can see all the controls without having to use reading glasses. The screen is large & crystal clear. The images are of a very good quality, far exceeding my expectations.
The controls are simple and give access to a whole range of effects that can transform a normal picture to a notch or two above the norm.
Really pleased with the quality of the camera build as well & trust it to provide me with hours of pleasure.
Highly recommended.

PURE PocketDAB 1500, Rechargeable Personal DAB/FM Radio
PURE PocketDAB 1500, Rechargeable Personal DAB/FM Radio
Offered by DEP.PRODUCTS
Price: 119.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best 90 I ever spent., 6 Feb 2012
Bought mine in April 2007, since then it has accompanied me over hundreds of miles of walking in all weathers & terrains. I use a leather case to protect it from the worst of the elements. Never had any problems with it even when it was immersed in a large muddy puddle for a few minutes. It has taken many small knocks & always provides excellent reception where possible. I can't praise this radio enough, it's an absolute gem.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable quality & durability, 7 May 2010
Fantastic product. Comfortable, strong, easy wash material. The trousers dry very quickly when you get wet & offer good protection from the sun & elements. Excellent size pockets with strong zips & press studs. I have worn these trousers for hundreds of miles & absolutely love them & sure you will as well. They have gone through dozens of washes & I just hang them to dry & on they go again. I have snagged them on barbed wire & a couple of stitches have sorted that problem, so very durable. Impossible to find any downside to them.

Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon
Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon
by Buzz Aldrin

3.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent disappointment, 27 Oct 2009
The first chapters on the moon landing were excellent & very inspirational bringing back memories of childhood & when the world gaped in awe & was united in wonderment. Enjoyed reading about the broken switch which was fixed by the cap of a felt tip pen & allowed them to lift off from the moon. However, Buzz does come over as a very selfish egotist & the book is very repetitive, alcohol dependency & depression, ditto, ditto. But, Buzz never goes into any details about his binges or how it felt being in such a depressive state. In fact, I still know so very little about him, except he was bit of a spoiled brat. He says he never sold a car when he worked for a car dealer as a salesman & he could write a book about his time there, but he does not go into any details about it. I am pretty sure he must have had many humourous moments but the book contains very little humour. The chapter about his third wife is way over the top & Buzz literally brags about her big money connections & prosperous upbringing. After that the rest of the book becomes a big bore.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 3:51 PM GMT

Selling Your Father's Bones: The Epic Fate of the American West
Selling Your Father's Bones: The Epic Fate of the American West
by Brian Schofield

5.0 out of 5 stars American History at it's finest, 17 Oct 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Brilliant, well written book that gave a clear & empathetic account of the development of the country from a native American and ecological perspective.
Easy to read and clear in it's objectives. Highly recommended.

Braun Oral-B EB25-2 FlossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads 2 Pack
Offered by Cambrian Shop (chiholam)
Price: 9.38

5.0 out of 5 stars teeth flagellation, 22 Sep 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was rather sceptical when I purchased these brushes as I was happy with normal ones. However, after a few days found these heads to be far superior.
Each brush head has small, thin pieces of a rubbery plastic designed to get right into the gaps in your teeth. The buffetting effect polishes & cleans, leaving your mouth like it has had a really good work out. Will definitely be purchasing another set & highly recommend them to others.

This Is How
This Is How
by M. J. Hyland
Price: 9.41

3.0 out of 5 stars The final book in her trilogy of embryonic, limited, male misfits, 10 July 2009
This review is from: This Is How (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Enjoyed her first two books. Unfortunately I could see the joins in this one. It was as if she was under pressure from the publisher to fulfill her contract of three books & she struggled to maintain her momentum.
Oxtoby, the main character in the book is never fully developed, I knew no more about him at the end of the book than I did at the begining.
The author obviously has considerable talent, but I felt it was totally wasted on this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4