Profile for Solo Walker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
No Dope Here? Anti-drugs Vigilantism in Northern Ireland
No Dope Here? Anti-drugs Vigilantism in Northern Ireland
by John Lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating & important piece of journalism about paramiltaries and drugs, 6 Jan. 2013
No Dope Here raises many issues about drug policy and the activities of paramilitaries in northern ireland. The action taken by republicans & loyalists against drug takers and dealers makes for some very shocking reading. It is often described in detail and the victims and many protagonists are named. The paramilitaries, act as judge, jury and mete out the punishments or executions often with some public support.

The author lives in Derry amongst many of the people described in the book. Although he is very careful (not surprisingly) to be dispassionate & balanced. For me, in the true tradition of the finest journalism, there is a subdued anger that comes across. Firstly, at the stupidity and hypocrisy of failed drug policies in general and secondly, at the sheer, bloody brutality of the paramilitary thugs. It takes great courage to write about a subject in an area where you live and where armed thugs roam and who might just take exception to your viewpoint.

I highly recommend this brilliant work to anyone who who has an interest in the "troubles", as they are not over yet & there is no sign of them going away for the foreseeable future.

The Making of the English Working Class (Penguin History)
The Making of the English Working Class (Penguin History)
by E. P. Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book I would take on a Desert Island, 28 July 2012
First read this at least 30 years ago. Still have a paperback copy in my bedside draw. It is my companion when I seek comfort or get lost in the daily grind of work, home, work & cannot sleep. I read random pages, sometimes I only manage a few lines. But, the book has an intense depth in each sentence of such imagery and knowledge.
I know where I come from and who I am when I read this book. I get great strength knowing my predecessors suffered and survived far greater hardships than I will ever imagine or endure. Not only that, but they fought to obtain rights and recognition for their contributions to the making of the society that I and others take for granted today.

To the English Working Class and the late, great E.P Thompson I am eternally grateful.

Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, easy to use camera, 25 July 2012
A really beautiful camera that fits in the hand perfectly. I am a keen walker & have walked miles with it attached to my wrist, so it is a robust piece of equipment. Battery life has really surprised me, weeks down the road & the original batteries are still going strong.
The camera is so easy to use, I can see all the controls without having to use reading glasses. The screen is large & crystal clear. The images are of a very good quality, far exceeding my expectations.
The controls are simple and give access to a whole range of effects that can transform a normal picture to a notch or two above the norm.
Really pleased with the quality of the camera build as well & trust it to provide me with hours of pleasure.
Highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable quality & durability, 7 May 2010
Fantastic product. Comfortable, strong, easy wash material. The trousers dry very quickly when you get wet & offer good protection from the sun & elements. Excellent size pockets with strong zips & press studs. I have worn these trousers for hundreds of miles & absolutely love them & sure you will as well. They have gone through dozens of washes & I just hang them to dry & on they go again. I have snagged them on barbed wire & a couple of stitches have sorted that problem, so very durable. Impossible to find any downside to them.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars teeth flagellation, 22 Sept. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was rather sceptical when I purchased these brushes as I was happy with normal ones. However, after a few days found these heads to be far superior.
Each brush head has small, thin pieces of a rubbery plastic designed to get right into the gaps in your teeth. The buffetting effect polishes & cleans, leaving your mouth like it has had a really good work out. Will definitely be purchasing another set & highly recommend them to others.

This Is How
This Is How
by M. J. Hyland

3.0 out of 5 stars The final book in her trilogy of embryonic, limited, male misfits, 10 July 2009
This review is from: This Is How (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Enjoyed her first two books. Unfortunately I could see the joins in this one. It was as if she was under pressure from the publisher to fulfill her contract of three books & she struggled to maintain her momentum.
Oxtoby, the main character in the book is never fully developed, I knew no more about him at the end of the book than I did at the begining.
The author obviously has considerable talent, but I felt it was totally wasted on this book.

Stalin's Nemesis: The Exile and Murder of Leon Trotsky
Stalin's Nemesis: The Exile and Murder of Leon Trotsky
by Bertrand Patenaude

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging account of Trotsky's last exile, 14 Jun. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent book that provides valuable insights into the intimate details of Trotsky's day to day existence in Mexico. He had affairs and letters to his wife are quoted revealing details of their sex life. It also gives brief glimpses of his past like when he was a Menshevik & at odds with Lenin and later in supreme command of the soviet armed forces fighting white Russians, probably his finest hour.
Trotsky was an exceptionally capable intellectual who forged his place in history, but the book does not shirk from highlighting his many flaws & errors in judgement.
It raises many questions about his legacy, for me the biggest question is, would the Soviet Union have been a better place, had Trotsky taken taken over from Lenin?

When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies
When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies
by Andy Beckett

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling account of the 70s, 8 Jun. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Absolutely loved every second reading this well written, accessible history. I had totally forgotten about Foulness, the proposed 3rd London airport on Maplin Sands, the 3 day week (think things are bad now?), unions being consulted on government policy, Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher & moneyterism, a miners strike, flying pickets at Saltley depot, North Sea Oil, Scottish Nationalism, the IMF loan & much, much more.
The author visits a lot of the places & survivors of this period & adds new light on the era. Highly recommeneded.

Webroot Internet Security Essentials - 3 User (PC DVD)
Webroot Internet Security Essentials - 3 User (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use web protection, 20 April 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used the usual antivirus/anti hacking software that comes with a new computer, so installing Webroot was new to me. Have to say it was very easy to install. Nice simple menus and brightly coloured. When it was up & running I viewed a few dodgy websites to see what reaction I would get. Each time I received a highly visible warning, some fairly innocuous viruses were quarantined, successfully. All well & good. Switched off computer & restarted and system burst in to life. Updates were installed without any interruptions or lack of performance. If you want a good quality but simple to use product I would highly recommend this one.

Carry Me Down
Carry Me Down
by Maria Hyland

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Outstanding, 1 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Carry Me Down (Paperback)
Being a male & remembering my own childhood in the 50s & 60's I could relate to the experiences of the young lad in this wonderful book. Some kids being more sensitive than others, can pick up on parental behaviour & it can exacerbate their insecurities, triggering an embryonic & over active imagination. What baffles me, is how did the author being a female know the feelings & emotions of a young male, so damn well?

The writing is of the highest standard & I loved every page of this tour de force.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4