Profile for PurpleRain3121 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Plectrumelectrum
Plectrumelectrum

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Plectrumelectrum (Audio CD)
Fantastic album. Prince has 3 very talented girls working with him. The albums fun, funky and it rocks hard. What's not to love?

Art Official Age
Art Official Age

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class Prince album. Best in years!, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Art Official Age (Audio CD)
Truthfully, and I am a huge Prince fan....I was looking forward to PlectrumElectrum and was not too bothered about this album. I was wrong. Can't turn it off. It's new and classic Prince combined. The album opener is nuts! Prince goes clubbing in space. There's some real tasty slow jams on there too.But the standout tracks are the Affirmations and Way Back Home. Prepare to be moved! I hope people give this album the time it deserves as it is truly one of Prince's best albums in a long time and way better than a lot of the garbage on mainstream radio.

The Last Of Us (PS3)
The Last Of Us (PS3)
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Naughty Dog is untouchable!, 4 Dec. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Last Of Us (PS3) (Video Game)
I was looking forward to this game for a long time, ever since I heard of it's existence. This was mostly due to the fact that I have never enjoyed gaming as much as when I played the Uncharted series. Secondly, my favorite genre be it a book, game or film, is horror! My mates all told me the game would end up just being "Uncharted with zombies" but I kept the faith that it would be something unique and I was proven right.

The opening scene alone is enough to let you know that you are about to play something special. It is the first time I have ever played a game and cared for characters. Normally, I just bail through a game, without caring who I blow up or how many people were taken out! But when you meet Ellie, you really want to keep this kid safe, even though shes not real. When you immerse yourself in the Last of Us, you can forget that "it's just a game". The only other game I have played to make me care was Telltale's "The Walking Dead". This is done, by a superb story line and amazing voice acting. A lot of work went into this and it shows. Every word, every emotion that you hear is so real. The graphics make me think the next gen has come too early and that there is still plenty of years left in the old faithful that is Ps3. It may sound like a contradiction but seeing the lonely bleak post apocalyptic world is beautiful. Seeing once great cities and abandoned cars and people's old homes in ruins is amazing and scarily believable that someday maybe mankind could end up in such a situation.

You play as Joel and eventually the main plot revolves around you becoming a father figure to a little girl, helping her survive as they make their way to their destination in a world over run by infected monsters. I don't want to say anything else that would give away the plot.

The infected are also amazing because they are not like every other game. They aren't your standard zombie. They are people, and in their early stages of infection, it is apparent they are still people "possessed" by a devastating virus. The early stages shows the infected running around frantically in a rage, kicking and screaming at you like wild animals. Stage two sees the fungus cover their bodies, especially the head...with therefore renders them blind. When they reach this stage they can't see you but they can hear you using something called "clicking". This makes for some of the most tense and scary experiences in gaming. Unlike most games with "monsters" you run at them, beat or shoot the life out of them and move on to the next. But not here. In the Last of Us, you don't have very much in the way of guns and ammo, so you have to craft your own weapons and use things that you find like bottles and bricks. And resources are scarce. A bottle for example, can be used to attack the infected or it can be thrown to stun an enemy or distract them to where it lands. Furthermore, if you have the right gear, you can use a bottle with other items to make a Molotov. If you want a run and gun action packed horror, this is not for you. This requires stealth, patience and a bit of thinking. Nothing is creepier than being stuck in dark hallways listening to the horrible noises of the infected as you slowly make your way around them. And if you alert them, be prepared to get out of there because they will have you dead in no time. Add to the fact that the story makes you care for Ellie so much, there is nothing that can prepare you for the first time you get her killed!

I could not put this game down. I played it on all difficulties, one after the other...and it was just as exciting every time. I would recommend though, that if you REALLY want to scare yourself and experience the most real experience the game has to offer, you should attempt Survivor mode.

I don't like calling ,the Last of Us a game because it's so much more than that. It's like the greatest story ever told and you're in it!

Just buy it if you haven't already. It makes no sense not to. Plus the multiplayer is good fun also and it's unique!

Purple Rain [Blu-ray] [1984] [Region Free]
Purple Rain [Blu-ray] [1984] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Prince

5.0 out of 5 stars Purple Reign, 3 Dec. 2013
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today...

This film is very special to me. And I am sure it is to many others also. This film is about Prince becoming a star and what a star he became. The soundtrack is one of the greatest works ever written in pop/rock. This was Prince at his peak and nobody could touch him. Sure, the acting is a bit naff and there are flaws in the film but all that is forgotten once Prince takes the stage and performs songs like "Let's Go Crazy", "The Beautiful Ones", "Darling Nikki" and the super epic that is "Purple Rain". I have seen many acts live but no one can play like Prince. There are also plenty of extras on here too, to keep people happy.

I can't say I noticed a big improvement visually, comparing the DVD and Blu Ray but the audio is much better with the Blu Ray!

Scarface Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy with Blu-ray Packaging) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by adabola1

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Experience!, 3 Dec. 2013
I'm not going to review the film as it's already well known what an epic masterpiece it is. It's influence on people is undeniable. I had seen the film many times before but seeing it on Blu Ray was the best experience. Add to that, the hours of bonus features the disc contains...it really is the best way to own Scarface! The world is yours!

The X-Files: Unrestricted Access
The X-Files: Unrestricted Access

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work on new PC's, 3 Dec. 2013
If you have a newer PC or laptop, which you most likely do...don't bother buying this. It won't work. There are ways round it but they aren't really worth the hassle because even then bits of it don't work properly. I am sure it is a good buy for fans, if they get it to work. I just bought it to complete the collection as I am an avid fan of the show

Bat Out of Hell
Bat Out of Hell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock opera!, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Bat Out of Hell (Audio CD)
I heard this album for the first time when I was just nine. I seen it in the house on cassette and was fascinated by the cover. I never really payed attention to music, but something hit me when I played this album. I just remember thinking "What is this I am hearing and why do I love it so much?" This album is the reason I first fell in love with music. The pairing of Meatloaf and Jim Stienman really was something special. "Bat out of Hell" is the most epic albums you will ever hear. It still to this day is an assault on your ears and this one song alone covers so many emotions and styles of music, it's hard to even explain. Will always be one of my favorite songs and if you haven't heard it, I'm afraid you may have been living under a rock all of your life! Every song on this album is beautifully crafted and put together.

Whilst I love the entire album and it will always hold a special place in my heart, the highlights for me have to be the to be the title track, a blistering rock opera that covers it all. Amazing lyrics, epic guitar licks...a real fist pumper. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" is a great little rock n' roller, which sees Meatloaf and Ellen Foley share the mic. It has a great humor to it too as she clearly is in it for the long run and Meat's just a player looking for a good time. Plus, the middle of the song has one of the funkiest breakdowns ever...then the song ends in them having a row! Classic stuff. And when it comes to ballads...nothing comes close to "For Crying out Loud". This song still manages to give me goosebumps after all the years of hearing it. What begins with just a piano and vocal, culminates in one of the most epic pieces of music ever heard. It is one of my biggest regrets not getting to see this song live. Unbelievable.

I can't say my review will be any help to anyone because Bat is such an iconic album, you probably have already heard it and it doesn't need any promotion after achieving such legendary status.

This is what music is really about and this album casts a very big shadow on the music we hear on the charts today. This is real music!

Red Dwarf X [DVD]
Red Dwarf X [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Return on a classic, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Red Dwarf X [DVD] (DVD)
Whilst this is a very short series, it is a brilliant return to form. This series holds its own against the earlier classic seasons. Hopefully, it's success means we will see more of Red Dwarf in the near future!

Red Dwarf: Series 1-8 [DVD] [1998]
Red Dwarf: Series 1-8 [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic collection, 3 Dec. 2013
This product is a bargain at the price, so I bought it, despite only having seen a few episodes before hand. I am glad I did. I laughed my way through each series at some of the characters and situations which appeared within. Kryten may be the funniest TV character ever. Each series is good, despite what people say regarding 7 and 8. For anyone who hasn't seen it, without getting too detailed, it follows four rather unique individuals through their adventures in space. You have Lister, a man waking up from stasis millions of years later, finding out he's the last human alive. He spends his days eating through the ships curry supplies. Rimmer, a hologram of one of the ship's dead crew. An egotistical maniac if ever there was one. The Cat, a strange and self obsessed creature which evolved from Lister's cat millions of years ago. And Kryten, a robot programmed to serve, who starts thinking for himself. This leads to some very hilarious situations in deep space.

Given the price of this collection, it would be silly to pass on buying this amazing set.

Note: There are no bonus features with this collection. They are found on the separate "Just the Smegs" DVD!

Red Dwarf : Just The Smegs - Smeg Ups and Smeg Outs (BBC) [DVD]
Red Dwarf : Just The Smegs - Smeg Ups and Smeg Outs (BBC) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Llewellyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice way to complete the set, 3 Dec. 2013
Having purchased the entire collection of Red Dwarf episodes, it would be wrong not to complete it with this set. I enjoyed watching the bloopers very much and at the price I got it for, there's really no reason not to buy it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3