Profile for J. Baker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
After the Reich: From the Liberation of Vienna to the Berlin Airlift
After the Reich: From the Liberation of Vienna to the Berlin Airlift
by Giles MacDonogh

5.0 out of 5 stars Only the heartless cannot be moved by the suffering of the German people after the war., 25 Feb 2014
The suffering of the German people during, and particularly after, the war is a taboo subject. The victors write the history and, it seems, their is room for only one set of victims in their version. Would have benefited from more careful editing but still merits five stars - there's nothing else like it out there.

Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Offered by Invero

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable value!, 9 Dec 2013
Has transformed picture quality from DVD and on-demand TV. How can they sell this for the price!? They're mad! Yes, they're mad I tell you!

Braquo Season 1 & 2 [DVD]
Braquo Season 1 & 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean-Hugues Anglade

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo Braquo, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Braquo Season 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
As a big fan of Spiral - another French TV cop series - I thought I'd take a chance on this, and wasn't disappointed. Glossier, more violent than Spiral and just as wonderfully politically incorrect (i.e. realistic) it follows a group of very damaged individuals who make up a very effective, albeit a little corrupt, police team. It really is gripping and you really do look forward to seeing the next episode (4 on a disk, 4 disks) - no I do have a life! Subtitles are better than those for Spiral - haven't spotted a mistake yet! Great fun!

All in Good Time
All in Good Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of all?, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: All in Good Time (Audio CD)
I came across PPL in 1973 and loved them immediately. Their first and second albums were great but later offerings - like 'Two Lane Highway' fell far short of what I'd hoped for. However, 'All In Good Time' is truly an exception! There really isn't a dud track on the album and this has become my favourite play-along record. The singing and guitar-playing are consistently true to the potential the band showed on those first two records. It won't disappoint!

Hard Core S1 P Scoria Safety Boots Size 10 - Black
Hard Core S1 P Scoria Safety Boots Size 10 - Black
Offered by DQ SERVICES

5.0 out of 5 stars These are excellent, 12 Jun 2013
Please see my review of the Tan version. I have a pair of both Tan and Black. They are identical in terms of fit and comfort.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2013 9:34 AM BST

Hard Core S1 P Scoria Safety Boots Size 8 - Black
Hard Core S1 P Scoria Safety Boots Size 8 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget expensive boots, 12 Jun 2013
This review was originally for the Tan version. They are identical otherwise, and I have purchased both the Black and Tan versions. So, read on...
I had a real problem recently. I'd run out of shoes. I've been a Clarks (9 H - extra wide) for years but have noticed a decline in quality and baulk at the price - especially as Clarks have long since off-shored all manufacturing jobs to China or even cheaper (Cambodia for instance) labour pools. Now, I don't have anything against the Chinese or Cambodians, but I do resent it when brands, like Clarks and Timberland, slash their labour costs, hugely increasing profit margins, but do not reduce prices. No doubt they will argue that cheaper labour costs enable them to provide consumers with better value - but this is hogwash. The sort of shoes and boots that theses companies offer are, more or less, mass-produced by robotic machines. Labour input is minimal. So why destroy the communities in the UK and US that once revolved around making these shoes? Well, short-term balance-sheet savings (big bonuses for CEOs and executives) and 'tax-efficiency'. It's all quite rotten. Anyways, back to the review. Although I'm a regular and frequent Amazon buyer, I actually bought these at Wickes - where they cost £29.95. I was buying some refuse sacks and saw them on the shelf. Leather uppers, not bad looking at all. There was a size 9 so I slipped the right one on. Fully expecting them to feel tight - for some reason size 9 or even 9.5 boots have always been too tight on me - I was REALLY surprised that they felt very comfortable, even roomy. I hobbled around for a minute, boot on one foot, Croc on the other and was intrigued enough to try on the other. To my utter astonishment they were immediately OK. So I bought them. I must admit that, mainly because these have a steel toe-cap and sole (under the rubber, of course!) I expected that although they would be great for the garden - digging with a spade for instance is a pleasure, not like in wellies! - I dared not hope that they would be flexible enough for prolonged or everyday wear. Next day I went shopping with the misses (again looking for extra wide shoes - this time in M&S, their extra wide Active Air range) wearing my new boots but with my Crocs in the car ready for the time when the steel toe-caps would inevitably start biting into my feet. But this didn't happen. I then realised that it wasn't going to happen either! These boots are just incredible! I've been wearing them solid for 3 days now and have just bought the Black equivalent of this Tan version. They are identical in terms of fit and comfort. I cannot recommend these boots highly enough. I guess if you've got really narrow feet they might not be for you but otherwise, especially if you like a wider shoe, you must try these! Incidentally, it doesn't say where these are made but I guess it's in the usual places. Difference is that these really are good quality and the price is right!

Hard Core S1 P Scoria Safety Boots Size 9 - Tan
Hard Core S1 P Scoria Safety Boots Size 9 - Tan
Offered by DQ SERVICES

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget expensive boots, 12 Jun 2013

Naturya Organic† Barleygrass Powder 200 g Nutritional Power Food One Pouch
Naturya Organic† Barleygrass Powder 200 g Nutritional Power Food One Pouch
Offered by VITAMINS EUROPE

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy with confidence!, 20 Mar 2013
Barley grass - and wheatgrass - can confer significant health benefits and have done so for me! This stuff is organic. Naturya tell us its grown on a farm which is certified organic by the UK's Soil Association and the EU, and is inspected regularly. Are they just saying this to flog the stuff to us, risking a scandal and bankruptcy? You decide.

From Cancer to Wellness: The Forgotten Secrets
From Cancer to Wellness: The Forgotten Secrets
by Kristine S. Matheson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a coherent guide., 27 Feb 2013
I've skimmed this book and come to the conclusion that it's little more than a collection of paragraphs - the paraphrased results of multiple google searches. I applaud Kristine for treading her own 'natural' path to wellness rather than being led to a long and unpleasant death by conventional treatments - surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. I just don't rate this book. Take a look at Mike Anderson's 'Healing Cancer from Inside Out' and compare. There's also a great film of his you can watch on youtube. [...]. Don't misunderstand me, ths is not a bad book, but there are much better resources out there. Best Wishes To You!

Seven Seas Multibionta Vitality Complete Multivitamin with Probiotics - 90 Tablets
Offered by M A TRADING

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper online?, 12 Feb 2013
These are a very good option. I would guess that peoples' reaction to any particular probiotic varies. For me these produce excellent results. I would certainly buy from online - we buy loads of stuff from Amazon - if it weren't for the 3 for 2 offer that Tesco have had for ages! Sorry guys, consumer awareness and all that!

Page: 1 | 2