Profile for Nicky Peacock Author > Reviews

Content by Nicky Peacock ...

Nicky Peacock Author (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
ACEVIVI Luxury Non-Slip Spa Bath Pillow Large-Strongest Suction Cups -Extra Soft & Large 2-Panel Design for Shoulder & Neck Support

1.0 out of 5 stars No foam here!, 26 April 2016
This is not foam! It's just a thin layer of air. Very uncomfortable and arrived with just a plastic bag as wrapping. Save your money and just use a towel.

Key of Solomon (Relic Defender)
Key of Solomon (Relic Defender)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lexi is a great protagonist, one that really proves her worth in ..., 14 Oct. 2014
I read the first book in this series for this tour. I must say it was a refreshing change to some of the other paranormal books I’ve been reading. It was kind of a Lara Croft Tomb Raider mash-up with a paranormal romance. Lexi is a great protagonist, one that really proves her worth in the first book, as someone you want to see do well.

From a writer’s perspective, I have a bit of a pet peave about starting books with the character’s name. It’s not a huge error or anything, but as a writer myself I prefer to have the start of a book more of a delicate weave than just an info dump of back story – however, this is just me and there are probably many others who don’t see it that way. There were some lovely turns of phrase in there and the whole book was paced well and had some very well-thought out characters in – which does make a difference.

The front cover is okay, but has Mikos on there rather than Lexi, although I see that this is changed for book two, I still think she deserved to be front and centre.

Overall, I’d give Key of Solomon 4 out of 5 stars, a solid read with a great story line – I’m looking forward to reading book two.

The Luthier's Apprentice (Violinist Detective Series Book 1)
The Luthier's Apprentice (Violinist Detective Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this reads more like a lower aged YA book, 14 Oct. 2014
It is really refreshing to read a YA book that exists outside the usually vampires, werewolves and witches. This book gives a completely different lore and a unique perspective for readers to get into. I found the protagonist, Emma a little wet in places, but she is a teen and sometimes you do get a little unsettled and make wrong judgements when you’re at that age (I know I did!)

From a writer’s perspective, I think this reads more like a lower aged YA book. The content was easy to follow and the prose was very basic (I don’t mean that in a bad way, it was just very easy to read) I actually read this book when I was curled in bed with flu, so I really appreciated something easy to follow that quickly took me on an adventure without much work from myself. Also with the age of Emma being 16, I think it’ll appeal more to 11 + readers, as we all know that most YA readers like to read about characters above their own age. That said, it’s still quite accessible to adult readers too.

The front cover is pretty, but kid of cartoon-like and probably won’t compete will with other more dynamic covers. If I were the author I’d be changing that as soon as I could – YA fiction is such a competitive genre, you need every weapon in your arsenal to compete, and a front cover that appeals to everyone is top of that list – perhaps something more like The Mortal Instrument Books?

Overall I’d give The Luthier’s Apprentice 3 out of 5 stars for an adult read and 5 out of 5 stars for a YA read. I’ll be buying it for my nieces for Xmas.

Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas Book 1)
Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Her Sookie Stackhouse series was amazing (apart from the last one – don’t get me ..., 14 Oct. 2014
So, I’ve read a lot of Charlaine Harris. Her Sookie Stackhouse series was amazing (apart from the last one – don’t get me started there!) and I simply adored her Harper Connelly (brilliant from start to finish) So I was excited to get a chance to read this new book.

Midnight Crossroads gives us some of the secondary characters from the other series, and I was overjoyed to find Manfred there – a particular fav of mine from the Harper Connelly’s adventures, who I think was an incredible character and continued to be so during his stay in Midnight Crossroads.

From a writer’s perspective, it took a while to get into the story, everyone had to be introduced and the town of Midnight Crossroads is almost a character in itself (a lovely touch) But once it got going it was very engrossing. And what a great idea to move your less-used characters into a town together, it kind of ties all her literary worlds into one – fab idea!

As long as you don’t come to it thinking you’re getting an out and out paranormal mystery, but more along the lines of the Lily Bard and Aurora Teagarden books, then you’ll be thoroughly pleased.

The front cover is perfect for the book, it features the town and has some attractive colours in there – although as it’s a Charlaine Harris, it’ll be found relatively easily regardless.

Overall, I’d give Midnight Crossroads 4 out 5 stars – I still don’t completely forgive her for what she did to the Sookie series, but this does go some way to bend the bridges.

Carnal Magic (The Wraith Accords)
Carnal Magic (The Wraith Accords)

4.0 out of 5 stars I’ve always liked the notion of Fae and vampires – I think ..., 14 Oct. 2014
I’ve always liked the notion of Fae and vampires – I think it started with me reading Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse series – but this book takes it beyond the normal paranormal romance – and it was nice to see that it had few different aspects that are sadly missing from many of the PR novels around today.

Isabel is a strong character and actually has a decent job right from the beginning – it was a true pleasure to read about a strong female lead who is powerful in her own right, not just a ‘hanger-on’ to the alpha male she’s staring opposite.

From a writer’s perspective, it flowed really well and really does keep you hooked. I’m not a massive fan of third person omnipotent point of view – I do much prefer first person as a storyteller, but it kind of worked here. I did get confused a few times as to who was feeling what as the POV was not central round one character at a time, but that was probably more due to my epic lack concentration than anything else.

The front cover is pretty, but doesn’t say much of the story itself, and so kind of lets it down. perhaps something with both Isabel and Aed on the front?

Overall, I’d give Carnal Magic 4 out of 5 stars – a fantastic summer read (if Britain ever gets a summer!) to spend some time in a different world with strong characters and a pinch of spice.

A Shiver of Light: (Merry Gentry 9)
A Shiver of Light: (Merry Gentry 9)

4.0 out of 5 stars I’m a big fan of the Anita Blake series and loved the Meredith Gentry books (although some were a bit ..., 14 Oct. 2014
Laurell K Hamilton has been one of my fav authors for a long time. I’m a big fan of the Anita Blake series and loved the Meredith Gentry books (although some were a bit hit and miss – overall they were a really great paranormal read)I love the fact that her main characters are not tied to one leading man, and it makes a pleasant change to have the ladies in control; so I was really looking forward to reading the next instalment in the lives of my favourite faes. When you read a series of book, such as the Meredith Gentry series, it kind of feels like spending time with old friends – and this book was a good catch-up session!

From a writer’s perspective, I felt a little irritated with the amount of minor character interaction. Part of the author’s success was the reader wanting to follow the stories of the attractive characters that she created, but this one kind of felt a little OTT. When Merry gives birth, the babies and their ‘ease’ with their many fathers could have easily come across in a few paragraphs, but seemed to go forever. With sooo many characters it felt like the story really didn’t get going till all the men in Merry’s life had had a ‘moment’ with each of the babies – which was frustrating when I wanted plot. When it did get going, it eases you back into the normal pace of her previous books, so perhaps less ‘Then Rhys took the baby and fed it, then Galen took the baby off him, then Sholto shifted another baby in his arms’ – ad nauseam…and more movement of the story would have gripped me earlier.

The front cover is very different from the previous ones – although this might be because it’s a different release in the UK and all the others will look the same – As it is different, I almost didn’t recognise it as part of the series and could have easily looked past it – so although pretty, perhaps doesn’t do the marketing many favours.

Overall, I’d give A Sliver of Light 4 out 5 stars – Nice to catch up with the feisty Fae Princess and see what happens after her happily ever after, and the kids start being painfully squeezed out.

The Witch of Luna Hill
The Witch of Luna Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars ... very believable elements of both woven together with a nice plot. It had a strong female protagonist, 14 Oct. 2014
The Witch of Luna Hill was a bit of a cocktail of romance and fantasy and had very believable elements of both woven together with a nice plot. It had a strong female protagonist, which is rare in upper YA fiction.

From a writer’s perspective, although strong, Merian could be very annoying at times, none more so than in the opening chapter – a very dangerous thing for an author to do, as a less open minded reader might cut the story then and there. She was confusing and rather bitchy, and it took me a while to start to feel for her and her situation. I found the dialogue a little jumpy and characters slipped in and out of the plot with little information attached to them. Perhaps parts had been edited out that really should have remained?

The front cover is a bit drab, and could do with some colour in it to make it really pop on the virtual book shelf – I keep saying this, but YA fiction is incredibly competitive and quite frankly everyone does judge a book on its cover (whether it’s PC to admit it or not)

Overall I’d give the Witch from Luna Hill 3 out of 5 stars, a solid teen read.

Boneseeker
Boneseeker
by Brynn Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Boneseeker (Paperback)
I loved this book. It was such a fab idea to take Holmes and Watson to the next generation and to have them on a kind of steampunk/ science adventure; it kind of reminded me of the Robert Downey Jr movies, and actually would work really well as one at some point as part of that movie franchise….

From a writer’s perspective, the author did a great job of giving us characters that were easy to get behind and root for, an even more amazing job as Sherlock Holmes himself often comes across arrogant, selfish and rather annoying – Arabella was instead, strong and intelligent with the best bits of Holmes and few a feminine qualities that made her easy to identify with. The story is told from two characters’ points of view, Arabella and Henry and although I’d have preferred it all from Arabella (I found Henry a little wet at times) it didn’t slow the pace or the action.

The front cover is nice, but not very colourful, which might go against it on the virtual book shelf.

Overall, I’d give Boneseeker 5 out 5 stars, definitely worth picking up and dedicating the reading time to.

Darkness Reigns (Darkness Trilogy Book 2)
Darkness Reigns (Darkness Trilogy Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars There are two books so far in this series, ..., 14 Oct. 2014
There are two books so far in this series, and thankfully I was given both to review – you really do need to read them in order to truly appreciate the story and the characters.

Both books are well paced and gives us some interesting characters – vampires can be a little old hat these days, I’m not sure there’s much more we can do to them to make them interesting, but this series really adds to the vampire mythos, rather than just borrow from every other book.

From a writer’s perspective, it was hard for me to initially get into as the view points varied between three characters and how they were written. It’s no secret that I prefer first person narrative, I find it more emotional and much more interesting to go on a literary journey with a character as my guide. It was a gamble to switch characters and flit from 1st to 3rd person. Personally I’d have preferred one view point to keep the story linear – but that’s just my opinion.

The front covers are okay – but don’t really give the feel of the books and I’m not sure how well they’ll fare against more colourful and obvious book covers (maybe some fangs?)

Overall, I’d give both books 4 out of 5 stars, a solid supernatural read that will feed your need for vampires.

Hive & Heist (The Hive Queen Saga Book 2)
Hive & Heist (The Hive Queen Saga Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars The pace of the books could have done with some finer tuning, but overall it was a nice solid ..., 14 Oct. 2014
When I did my initial research into these books I found that it was a Kickstarter project, so right from the offset I was intrigued as to how it would all be put together. It appeared to be somewhere between an Indie book and a traditional publisher.

The story in both books was interesting and reminiscent of one of my fav series, Firefly – although I fear now anything in space with a band of happy-go-lucky mercenary misfits will kind of fall into that camp for me now. The pace of the books could have done with some finer tuning, but overall it was a nice solid YA Space Opera.

From a writer’s perspective, the POV jumped around a lot, which I found a little confusing and my allegiance to the characters felt strained with so many story arcs going on. I had to concentrate to really appreciate the story lines, which isn’t a bad thing, my epic lack of concentration skills shouldn’t affect a book review! I do worry a little about the genre here, YA is a fickle audience that tend to go in trends, although there are plenty of space YA books out there, there are really no break-outs that have influenced readers – there is something to be said about being a pioneer, however as the saying goes ‘it’s the pioneers that take the arrows’ but hey, they also get to plant the flags!

The front covers are purple and have a nice consistent brand going on, definitely will stand out against the other YA online offerings.

Overall I’d give both books a solid 3 out of 5 stars, could have been better, but is still an interesting read worth taking some time out for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11