Profile for S. Haworth > Reviews

Content by S. Haworth

S. Haworth (Cornwall, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
New Atlantis Time Travel Romance Bundle, Books 1-3
New Atlantis Time Travel Romance Bundle, Books 1-3

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 25 Feb. 2015
I'd started a later book in this series, Osiris, and liked the mixed-race hero and the spiritual heroine, but felt I was missing a lot and went back to read the first one. On the first few pages the heroine and her friend were dissing other women for liking sports, running down their own bodies to one another and generally not being people I wanted to spend any time with. I'd like to read a romance about a woman in her forties and a younger, techie hero, but not this one. Sorry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2015 4:34 PM GMT

Cat Toys Megapack - 1 x Interactive Catnip / Feather Toy On A Stick, 3 x Wicker Bell Balls, 1 x Handmade Mouse Chew Toy - The Best Toy Pack For Cats or Your Kitten! 5 Great Toys / Accessories For Kids to Play With The Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars My cats loved them!, 8 July 2014
Great collection of cat toys, my cats are particularly fond of the mouse on a string. :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2014 8:08 PM BST

Chrystal Heart
Chrystal Heart
by Meg Kingston

5.0 out of 5 stars Great modern-day fantasy, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Chrystal Heart (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this modern-day fantasy, with its fascinating, well-thought-through weird science and the engaging relationship between the two heroines. I think this would make a great introduction to steampunk culture for anyone who's not familiar with it. I would love to see more of Sam and Chrystal, and in particular more of the past adventures that Chrystal hints at.

Wreck of the Nebula Dream (A Sectors SF Romance)
Wreck of the Nebula Dream (A Sectors SF Romance)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun adventure story, 3 Jun. 2013
From the cover, I was expecting this to be a science fiction romance. I should have read the blurb on the Amazon site more carefully, because it's actually more of an adventure story - it's all narrated from the hero's point of view, and the romance gets about as much airtime as it would in your average Indiana Jones movie, or maybe a little less.

I liked the callbacks to the Titanic story, and I didn't think the book was disrespectful towards those who died in the Titanic tragedy in the slightest. The paranormal elements were well integrated into the SF universe. I liked the minor character of Lady Damais, and I thought the cute kids were done well - and I say that as someone who's usually allergic to cute kids appearing in books!

That said, I don't feel the frantic pace left much time for character development. The characters were mostly stock types - the bored socialite, the ex-military man, the evil corporate types bent on maximising profit - and I didn't feel particularly involved with any of them. Also, there were a few too many coincidences. But heck, if you don't like one plot twist, there will be another one along in a couple of pages - the book certainly isn't short on action.

Did I enjoy it? Yes, enough to finish it. Was it worth the price? Definitely. Will I remember any of the characters next week? Most likely not.

Finding Gaia
Finding Gaia

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating new take on immortals, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Finding Gaia (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this indie romance. There was lots of action and adventure as well as introspection, and the supporting characters were a hoot. I particularly liked the way the hero and heroine were recognisable as people built by their experiences in the past - I really bought into them as immortals. Kimberly Chapman's writing is lush and detailed and really pulls you into the story. I also loved the cliffhanger at the end! More please!

The Oil Tycoon and Her Sexy Sheikh
The Oil Tycoon and Her Sexy Sheikh

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and vivid!, 13 Jan. 2013
I really enjoyed this! It put a fresh, modern spin on the tired old sheikh and tycoon tropes. The characters were strong and relatable and I was desperate to see how they would get their happy ever after ending. The settings were very fresh and vivid. I particularly liked the respectful treatment of the hero Khaled's Muslim religion, and the drunk scene was a hoot.

Alien Blood (Diaspora Worlds Book 2)
Alien Blood (Diaspora Worlds Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pacy and exciting!, 27 Aug. 2012
I enjoyed this a lot, it was pacy and exciting and the setting - a 'Survival'-like game on an alien planet - really blew me away. I really liked the worldbuilding and the descriptions, but what I enjoyed most was that the tension comes organically from the plot and from the hero and heroine's backgrounds and experiences, rather than from the hero and heroine starting out assuming the worst of each other for no good reason. Some of the minor characters were a bit two-dimensional, but then there isn't a lot of space in the novella format to flesh them out. Overall I would definitely recommend Alien Blood - I tried it because it was free, but as soon as I'd finished it I hit the Kindle Store to see what else Melisse Aires had written! Highly recommended.

WRITING STEAMPUNK
WRITING STEAMPUNK

3.0 out of 5 stars Makings of a good book here, but riddled with typos, 6 April 2012
This review is from: WRITING STEAMPUNK (Kindle Edition)
This book has the makings of a great resource for steampunk writers. Want to know when the breech-loading needle gun was invented, or when the founder of phrenology died? Interested in how Victorian ladies dressed or California Gold Strike miners spoke? This book gives you the basics and the tools to find out more. I've read much worse how-to-write books, and I certainly don't begrudge £3.20 for this one.

Unfortunately, the Kindle edition was distractingly riddled with typos and errors. Many published books have a few typos here and there, but this one goes above and beyond, with a mistake on almost every page. At one point she misspells Jane Austen, Mrs Radcliffe and Byron all in the same paragraph. Earlier on she gets both 'Cylons' and 'Battlestar Galactica' wrong in the same sentence. Other people whose names she mangles include Nicolas Flamel, Gilgamesh and Engels.

It's not just the typos, there are often utterly confused sentences, such as 'The Suttee, the Indian customer of adding a living wife to a dead mister's pyre, is abolished in British India' or 'For those who have dipped into a Regency set tale by Georgette Heyer, a number of the words in the first section will remind them of those dripping from a Corinthian's chistled lips or that of his tiger or a Bow Street Runner'. Also, some sections go into far more detail than others - the section on guns is particularly thorough, whereas the section on the theatre is just a list of names to Google.

There is some useful stuff here and some great recommendations, and I liked the friendly, jokey tone in which it was written. It's just a shame the presentation isn't better.

The Wedding Party
The Wedding Party
by Robyn Carr
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't accept this wedding invitation, 28 Mar. 2012
I've heard good things about Robyn Carr, but I guess her sense of humour and mine just don't match well enough. I didn't enjoy this book at all. Everyone in it is horrible and self-centred, and there are far too many clashing plotlines. I found the heroine particularly annoying. She's a whiny control freak who starts the book by patting herself on the back for being completely unprofessional to some business clients and then spends the rest of it lurching from disaster to disaster. I'm happy to read about horrible people if the writing style is witty, but this just didn't work for me for whatever reason. It's not badly written, it's just that for me the humour fell flat, and I didn't want to spend any time with these depressing people.

I like books about planning a wedding, and I'm sorry this one didn't work for me. There were just too many people in the wedding party with too many zany problems between them to solve, and I didn't take to the lady in the big white dress.

DASHWOOD SISTERS TELL ALL
DASHWOOD SISTERS TELL ALL
by BETH PATTILLO

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dashwoods get up to date, 28 Mar. 2012
I really enjoyed this sweet, funny, light-hearted homage to Jane Austen's Sense And Sensibility. Ellen and Mimi were obviously modelled on Elinor and Marianne, but were also convincing as characters in their own right, and I liked the deft way Beth Pattillo brought the Sense and Sensibility story up to date.

I wasn't as keen on the mystery plot, which I thought was a bit silly, but I really enjoyed the loving descriptions of Austen places and the way the sisters managed to repair their relationship. A near-perfect light read - I read it in one sitting and came away refreshed.

Page: 1 | 2