Profile for H. A. Davis > Reviews

Content by H. A. Davis

H. A. Davis (Huddersfield, Oooop North)

Page: 1 | 2
AMH LCD Display & Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly With Spare Parts and AMH Tools Kit For iPhone 5c - Black
Offered by AMHBUY

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Easy To Install Screen, 11 May 2015
Really easy to install, great quality and definitely worth paying another fiver or so to have the camera & home button prebuilt. If my daughter breaks her screen *again* this would certainly be my first choice. Decent tools included to boot!

Road [DVD] [2014]
Road [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson
Offered by videosanddvds

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking biking DVD!, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Road [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
A Christmas present for my life long biker and ex racer dad. He loves it almost as much as his Closer To The Edge DVD, which is high praise indeed from this tricky to please man!

Karlsson Steel Date Wooden Case Wall Clock
Karlsson Steel Date Wooden Case Wall Clock

3.0 out of 5 stars A flaw in time..., 21 Feb. 2015
Gorgeous looking clock, unfortunately let down by very poor quality control. I have had to return two of these clocks due to rear panel retaining clips missing/loose in bag, dust inside on the clock face/glass, damage to the wooden case etc. This is my third clock, and is still not what I would expect from a clock with a £50 RRP, but I feel I would spend the rest of my life returning clocks if I had not settled for this best of a bad bunch. I have given it three stars, as it is 'okay' But I can get 'okay' from B&M for a fiver. In fact, you get better build quality with a £5 B&M clock, if not the looks. Three stars for the design, one for the build quality.

Foxbase Beta
Foxbase Beta

5.0 out of 5 stars I've got a bad feeling about this..., 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Foxbase Beta (MP3 Download)
How dare they rework one of the soundtracks to my early 90s and make it this blummin' good! I don't expect everyone will take to this refresh of a classic, but I love how it shines new light on these tunes. It is sympathetic to the originals, but sufficiently different not to end up annoyingly only very slightly different, if that make sense! Well done Richard X for not messing with my memories of the original FBA!

Wonky
Wonky

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Orbital, I Love You!, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Wonky (Audio CD)
I must admit there was an element of dread, that one of the constants in my musical life for over 20 years could release a duffer. After all, they've had their patchy moments (BTW The Blue Album is worth the admission price for One Perfect Sunrise alone) But still, I bought the tickets to see 'em at Manchester & found 'Never' to be rather easy on the ears and pleasing to the feet.

Why did I worry? It kicks off with the unbridled optimism of One Big Moment, followed by the muscular thematics of Straight Sun. Then the paradoxical Never will chill your bones whilst enflaming your rave fever. New France drives things along with a good old arms in the air vocal from Zola Jesus, whilst Distractions shines as it looks inwardly. Next up, a sparkly acid workout that sounds like 1989 with more strings, it's even called Stringy Acid! Oh dear, what's this now? Beelzedub? Orbital can't reference modern culture, cry the Orbital purists. Of course they bloody can! A straightforward meaty Dubstep choon with moments of Orbitalness, LOVE IT! This then gives way to the mentalness (for Orbital) that is Wonky. At first it seems like it doesn't fit, but it lends an edgy punch to the proceedings. And it's a new live classic to boot! The final track asks the question, Where Is It Going? Straight to the dancefloor for a classic Orbital workout, that's where! And hopefully another album of this quality in a couple of years, eh lads?

This album has a more contemporary, immediate feel to it than Orbital of old. And whilst I'll always love the old stuff with it's concept feel, things move on. After all, we wouldn't time to become a loop, now would we?

The Family Jewels
The Family Jewels

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this is Brit Pop at it's best!, 4 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
Pssst...Want some pop music that doesn't sound like that populist tripe RiRi, Perry et al deem fit for human consumption? Well this is it! Just an album full of great pop tunes, but with character, no superficial transatlantic gloss and not a single California King Bed in sight! Ignore the muso critics who only listen to 'serious' music. Because, hey, I'm listening to Radiohead as I type and I love Marina. And as we all know, it doesn't get much more serious than Radiohead!

Arvo Part - Spiegel im Spiegel
Arvo Part - Spiegel im Spiegel

5.0 out of 5 stars Less is More, 12 Feb. 2012
So few notes contain all the emotion you could wish for. Simply beautiful. To quote Mark Hollis "Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it" Perhaps he learnt this from Arvo Part.

As with the other few 'classical' CDs I have, I took a chance on a budget label. And like discount German supermarkets occasionally can, it delivers something beyond that of its' big brand competition.

Black Light
Black Light
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Derivative, mmm...maybe. Fantastic...definitely!!!, 10 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Black Light (Audio CD)
I bought this pretty much when it came out, but with a certain amount of trepidation. After all, GA have a back catalogue almost as patchy as Basement Jaxx, but the album title & cover won me over. An album called Black Light with a cool cover can't be bad, right? What I wasn't expecting was something this right.

There's a familiarity running through the songs, not of GA's past, but of a time before! The time is the eighties, but don't expect an eighties colour by numbers nostalgia trip. It's retro, but is also informed by more contemporary music & production values, which stops it from sounding irrelevant. I generally don't like dissecting albums track by track, unless it's terribly inconsistent, and there's no reason to pull this one apart. Press play and do nothing else 'til the music ends, it's that good.

If you want a big slab of electro cake with some guitars, then get this. You even get Will Young in 'Smalltown Boy' mode on the aptly named History (it's even got loads of reverb!)

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't you own this yet?, 20 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Blood Sugar Sex Magik (Audio CD)
You know when you keep going back to an album, despite all the wonderful new(er) music you have? Well this is one of those albums. From the first few bars, you never want to press stop 'til the very end. This is remarkable considering it weighs in at a hefty 74 minutes. For me, this is the high water mark in their career. I'm not saying they can't surpass it, but they haven't so far, Stadium Arcadium is the best offering since.

So why do I like it so much? In a word, ENERGY. This album is full of it. It's punchy, muscular & uncompromising, the perfect alignment of band and producer. With regards to the mix & mastering, this is rock album perfection, working with the music, not against it like the death by loudness mastering we endure today. I'm not sure this album would captivate as it does had it suffered the same nosebleed mastering as By The Way & Californication.

Whilst possibly being overshadowed by Nevermind, this is the best album of 1991 and beyond, no question!

Static Kingdom
Static Kingdom
Offered by rbmbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonic Bliss, 6 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Static Kingdom (Audio CD)
Brooding, shimmering...some songs float, some have a building tension, none disappoint. Whilst you can identify the musical styles & references, it's hard to pin down. Is it folk? A track like 'Dead Flame Rising' certainly has this feel about it, although this lazy label gets applied to anything with an acoustic guitar, then a track like 'Stay in Silence' or 'Golden' will defy this label. So what else do I have in my collection to reference this against to tempt you in to its sonic delights? Well, sometimes a bit Goldfrappy but earthier. The All About Eve comparison in another review isn't wholly unfair, but only if AAE hadn't strayed into MOR. I can't think of anything else, but I'm listening to this right now & damn it's good, Jayn Hanna's vocals are just perfect! Listen to samples, find them on my space, just listen to them, as this the only way to 'get' them. These are also genuine indepedent musicians on a tiny label based near to where I live, so if you find you like them please buy it, don't 'acquire' it! Get this and get blissed out!

Page: 1 | 2