Profile for Morris Minor > Reviews

Content by Morris Minor

Morris Minor (Surrey, UK)

Solo Ultra-Linear DE Headphone Amplifier c/w PSU1 power supply
Solo Ultra-Linear DE Headphone Amplifier c/w PSU1 power supply

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphone amp, 22 Oct. 2014
Drives my Audeze LCD-2s, Denon 7000 and HD650s with ease. Fantastic dynamics, with a deep and wide soundstage, and tons of detail.

Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Squeezebox winner, 28 Aug. 2010
This is my fifth Squeezebox device (following a Classic, Duet, Boom and Transporter). It was up and running on my network within 5 minutes of unpacking. I'd already updated the SqueezeServer software on my server to a version that supported the Radio, so this saved a bit of time.

The display is a big improvement over the Boom in that users who don't know how the menu structure works now get a much easier to understand view of what to select. However, you do need to be much closer to it to read the track that's playing etc - though the cover art displays, unlike on the Boom. Sound quality is good, but not in the Boom league - which for its size is simply outstanding. However it is easily on a par with most radios that I've heard of a similar overall size. Unlike the Boom, there are no bass/treble controls, and of course the Radio is mono, not stereo.

I mainly use the Radio in the bedroom. The sleep function is useful, and the alarm works well. However I used it for a (genteel!) party shortly after getting it, placing it at the other end of the kitchen/dining room from the Boom, and syncing both of these up to the Receiver in the study and the Transporter in the living room. The synced playlist took a short while to settle down and, er, sync properly, but when it did it was rock solid for over five hours; low level music throughout the ground floor. Nice! Incidentally the Radio and Boom are connected via wi-fi, the Receiver and Transporter are CAT-5 wired via homeplug devices.

The presets are useful for quick recall of playlists or radio stations. Mine has presets with Radio 4 (on BBC iPlayer), the local commercial station and a couple of US jazz stations.

It's unfortunate (and pretty mean) not to have a remote included; the Boom and Classic remotes work fine though, as well the Duet's Controller. Plus I use the iPhone app iPeng a great deal. If you had a Squeezebox Touch, this could control the Radio as well. So the lack of a remote isn't a big deal for me, but if this your first Squeezebox you'll have to buy the battery/pack bundle to get one.

With the Classic in my 10 year old son's bedroom, the only non-bathroom room in the house without a Squeezebox in my 6 year old daughters. She's told me that I'm buying her a Radio for her next birthday in a couple of months (apparently!). . . .

Yeah Ghost (CD Album)
Yeah Ghost (CD Album)
Offered by marvelio-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Build up - let down, 9 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (CD Album) (Audio CD)
This is the first album I've pre-ordered since A Hard Days Night in 1964. Simple Things, When It Falls and The Garden are among my most played albums. This load of tosh will be the least played because it's already in a charity shop. I listened to it about 10 times, at various times of day, in various moods. Most things grow on you over time. The only thing to grow on me with this was a feeling that Zero 7 have either lost the plot or just don't care because their fans'll buy anything. At 45 minutes long this short album is about 45 minutes too long. Listen before you buy, and don't say you weren't warned.

Squeezebox Wireless Network Music Player - All Black
Squeezebox Wireless Network Music Player - All Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing!, 9 Feb. 2008
I had this little box up an running with my wireless network in less time than it took to unpack the box. Trying it out initially through the headphone jack I was seriously impressed, but plumbing it into the hi-fi, and into my DAC - well! My CDs are now being packed away as I rip them into FLACS, and my (good) CD player is totally idle. The sound quality is stunning, the ease of use phenomenal, and the way I access music has changed forever. The icing on the cake is access to loads of internet radio stations. What a brilliant little device this is!

Boulevard de L'independence
Boulevard de L'independence

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant!, 17 Nov. 2007
Approach this from the Cuban end of the World Circuit catalogue, via Orchestra Baobab, and you slide into a heady melting pot of swirling rhythms and styles that'll put a big grin on your face and set your feet tapping. "Africa Challenge" is a salsa to end all salsas, and you can only imagine the atmosphere in Bamako's Hogon Club when the Symmetric Orchestra end their set with it.

All World Circuit releases are special - this one just a bit extra special!