Profile for J. B. Hancock > Reviews

Content by J. B. Hancock

J. B. Hancock (Northern Ireland)

Helikon Security Hooded Patriot Fleece Combat Hoody Black
Helikon Security Hooded Patriot Fleece Combat Hoody Black
Offered by Military 1st
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect..., 28 July 2014
I had never heard of Helikon before but came across them whilst looking at 511 kit. Received my Patriot Fleece this morning and impressed already. It's warm, smaller - therefore lighter - to what I usually wear. I'm a 44 chest and chose the 44-46 size - it was perfect fit for me. Think the 42-44 would have been too small for me somehow. All in all, very happy with my purchase.

Plastic Jesus
Plastic Jesus
by Wayne Simmons
Price: 8.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read..., 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Plastic Jesus (Paperback)
This is an excellent departure (from the norm) for Wayne Simmons - known for his horror novels. In SciFi I enjoy the post-apocalyptic settings - I'm interested in how people survive - and this was captured brilliantly. Recognised the territory - I work in the Donegall Quay area of Belfast. The characters were good, felt one or two could have been explored / used more e.g. Kitty. But that is just me. The story travels along at a good pace until the end and then it all happens. Not sure if there is room for a sequel, probably best left as a stand alone novel.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
by Robert Galbraith
Price: 14.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Slow..., 16 Nov 2013
Bought it because of the hype i.e. JK Rowling. However, I have found the whole thing too slow and now at the stage were I couldn't give a stuff who killed the woman! But as I've almost finished (after a few months - not exactly a book you can't put down) I'll persevere until the end. I'm more looking forward to when I have finsihed with it than what happens at the end. That said, I do like the character of Strike but given his background I would of thought a more gritty novel would have served better.

Fever
Fever
by Wayne Simmons
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Too Good to Put Down!, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Fever (Paperback)
I've been waiting for this since I read FLU. Long wait but worth it. FEVER goes back to the start but you eventually catch up with the previous story. I particularly liked Part One of the book - will say nothing but let you read it yourself. My only gripe is that the book was read very quickly and now I have to wait and see if there will be a third to the series.

In short, if you liked FLU you will definitely enjoy FEVER.

Northern Ireland: A Walking Guide
Northern Ireland: A Walking Guide
by Helen Fairbairn

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok I suppose, 17 May 2008
This book only gets three stars for highlighting Northern Ireland as a great place to walk - which it is. However, the synopsis talks about the authors enthusiasm which, for the life of me, I couldn't see in fact the book came across quite dry. A typical walking book that seems to be published these days - turn this way, turn that...

No mention of the history of a place or indeed of any points of interest. Some of the walks the author mentions I have personally walked and she seems to have cut some of them short for example, she refers to the North Down Coastal Path as 12.5 miles - it's actually some 16 miles long and runs from Portavoe to Holywood and not Groomsport to Holywood as she suggests - the walk between Portavoe and Groomsport is actually one of the highlights of the entire stretch. She also starts the Lagan Towpath at Stranmillis when in fact it starts at the Waterfront Hall, Belfast City Centre a few miles back.

All in all good to see a book written on walking in Northern Ireland but could have been better.

Terrorism - The New War on Freedom DVD
Terrorism - The New War on Freedom DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best buy in the world, 6 May 2008
Thought the DVD would have been interesting given the subject matter however, it appears to have been produced by a very right-wing christian organisation (American no less) and on hearing their comments I immediately wrapped it back up and returned in less then 10 minutes. Avoid this trash like the plague.

Island In The Sky [DVD]
Island In The Sky [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Wayne
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars One to watch, 20 Oct 2007
This review is from: Island In The Sky [DVD] (DVD)
Just watched this movie for the first time. For those used to 'The Duke' in westerns and war movies this one will come as a welcome surpise. Well acted by all.

The Way That I Went
The Way That I Went
by Robert Lloyd Praeger

5.0 out of 5 stars A Natural History Bible..., 26 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Way That I Went (Paperback)
Bought this books several years ago and still refer to it. As a member of the Belfast Naturalist Field Club (Praegar was one of the original founders) this book is considered to be the bible for anyone in Ireland with regards to Natural History. The book is also interesting from the point of view of the expeditions he organised as the standards he set then are now the standards used in expeditions worldwide today.

Camping and Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book
Camping and Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book
by Paul Tawrell

5.0 out of 5 stars The book to get!, 7 Oct 2004
If you want to know all about living outdoors then I fully recommend this book by Paul Tawrell. Easy to understand and superb graphics. Whilst I have a good collection of books on bushcraft this one I feel explains everything right down to providing actual recipes for wild cooking! Has to be a must in every outdoor persons library.