Profile for Joanna > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Faking Grapes
Faking Grapes

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Faking Grapes (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this simply because I was about to go on holiday in France and like reading books about wherever I visit. It really came into its own when we were delayed by hours and I wanted to read something light that would keep me amused and take my mind off the long wait (Madame Bovary definitely didn't fit the bill!). I really enjoyed it, it's funny, there's a nice cynical outlook on life, and the author really seems to know his wine and his France.

Something Stupid
Something Stupid
by Victoria Corby

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Something Stupid (Paperback)
I read this when it first came out and loved it! It's one of those light, funny stories that you can re-read whenever you're feeling a bit down, you might know the plot but the humour will always cheer you up. My copy is falling to bits but when I get a Kindle (hint birthday present!) I'm definitely going to get all of Victoria's books.

Rough Music
Rough Music
by Patrick Gale

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Rough Music (Paperback)
This was my first ever Patrick Gale and within ten pages I was wondering why on earth I'd never tried reading him before. His writing is superb, his chaarecters so well draawn you feel that you really know them. I'm not quite sure if the sub plot based on the Great Train Robbery was strictly necessary but no matter, this was still a wonderful book.

The Thread
The Thread
by Victoria Hislop

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Story Ruined By Pedestrian Writing, 9 May 2013
This review is from: The Thread (Paperback)
We read this for our book group last month and everyone agreed that what should have been a good book ended up by being just dull because of the way it's written. For instance when eighteen year old boys are walking next to a really pretty sixteen year old girl they don't just have a thought at the back of their mind about how attractive she is - they fizz, they have passion, they lust, they long... Sadly much of the book was like this, emotion reduced to banality. Another problem - we knew from the beginning that Dimitri made it to old age thus eliminating all the tension about whether he would ever be reunited with Katerina.

Getting Rid of Bradley
Getting Rid of Bradley
by Jenny Crusie
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Such Good Fun, 9 May 2013
This book was originally published as a genre romance but don't let that put anyone off! It's bright and laugh out loud funny, a book to keep and re-read whenever you're feeling down.

The Sweetest Thing: (Talyton St George)
The Sweetest Thing: (Talyton St George)
by Cathy Woodman

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected, 9 May 2013
I read this purely because of a reccomendation as it's not the sort of thing I'd usually read.
The style was really nice, the tone upbeat though I wanted to grab Jennie from time to time and shake her for being such a doormat with her ex and so impractical. Strictly a beach read but none the worse for that!

The Liberation of Alice Love
The Liberation of Alice Love
by Abby McDonald

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 28 Aug 2011
This book started off quite well, it was an interesting idea though full of clichés - I got very fed up of reading about Alice's shoulder length hair being in a "neat French pleat" as shorthand for "this twentyish girl is so uptight and never lets go, not even her hair...', but I still enjoyed Alice's attempts to find out what had happened to her money after it had been stolen. Until she discovered the money that had been given to the charity and she decided not to tell the bank as the charity wouold feel oblidged to give it back and they needed it - anyway the insurance would pay her back. I stopped at that point in disgust. What Alice did was not only illegal (as a lawyer she'd have known perfectly well that by asking the insurance to repay her when they didn't have to she was committing a crime)it was quite unbelieveable as far as Alice's charecter went. Or did Alice, and the author, think that insurance is some kind of manna from heaven and doesn''t have to be paid for?

Past Perfect
Past Perfect
by Susan Isaacs

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Past Perfect (Paperback)
I have to disagree with the previous reviewer, this was a fun easy read and infinately better than Susan Isaacs's previous book, the dire and dull Wherever I Hang My Hat. The driving premise of the book, the heroine's search to find out why she'd been so abruptly turfed out of the CIA fifteen years ago was absolutely reasonable and her refusal to accept all the advice given to just accept the injustice done to her was quite understandable. OK, some to the adventures that happen to her are a little far fetched but hey, no one reads this sort of book for serious realism.
I reccomend it.

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
by Eva Rice

2.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant story spoilt by errors, 3 Mar 2007
This is a slight story with some good charecterisation, the relationship between Penelope and her unexpected friend Charlotte is particularly good, though the ending was a little weak and rushed.

It was still a satisfying read though and I'd have given it 4 stars if it wasn't for the lazy errors of fact and the plot anachronisms which litter the book. For example we are told that Penelope's mother is 35, then that she is three years short of 40, then via a date written on a photograpsh that her 21st birthday was in July 1941 - the action takes place in 1954 and early 1955 which makes her 34, not 35. Marina arrives at the house wearing a shirt, on the next page she is wearing muddy wide legged trousers. Penelope writes a short story until she is called down for dinner, puts it in an envelope and walks down to the post office. In the middle of the night? Harry takes Penelope to lunch at Sheekey's, Penelope says "It was a balmy evening," then refers to talking all afternoon. Jennifer's Diary is said to have appeared in Tatler, actually it was Queen, Eva Rice got the name of "Jennifer" wrong and she seems to be completely unaware that in the 50's nicely brought young women did not drink a lot of alchohol.

What a shame. This book could haave been so much better.

Bordeaux Housewives
Bordeaux Housewives
by Daisy Waugh

2.0 out of 5 stars Great title, shame about the story, 1 Dec 2006
This review is from: Bordeaux Housewives (Paperback)
Boring, unconvincing charecters, Daffy was so wet you wanted to wring her neck and someone like thaat could never have even started to get a rundown hotel going, especially when she knew no French, let alone made it sucessful, Lady Emma Rankin, femme fatale, apparently perfectly content to be in the middle of nowhere in her huge castle, as if, and the other married couple, so dire that I've forgotten their names with their pointlessly brilliant children (are we really expected to believe that a five year old who can multiply fractions in his head would be happy in kindergarten in a rural French village? or that his parents would have put him there?) The loathesome guests were completely overdrawn too. Oh, and the plot was ludicrous. Really, don't bother with this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3