Profile for Historyman > Reviews

Historyman (Manchester)

A Dangerous Inheritance
A Dangerous Inheritance
by Alison Weir

2.0 out of 5 stars I am a great fan of AW's non-fiction which I find absolutely gripping, 11 Nov. 2014
I am a great fan of AW's non-fiction which I find absolutely gripping. I've enjoyed her fiction to varying degrees. I was disappointed by this. The language seemed to very between contrived middle-ages-speak and contemporary English. The constant flip between times was confusing and failed to draw out the parallels it intended, especially as there were Catherines and Queen Elizabeths in both periods. The cover hinted at some exciting and hidden connection - which never came. Finally, the great and terrifying secret was revealed; that while all the evidence and rumours suggested that Richard III had murdered the princes in the tower, in truth...he HAD murdered the princes in the tower after all! No twist, novel theory or surprise. I suspect that AW wanted to air her theories about the Princes' disappearance given recent events and decided to do it like this. It felt overly long, and the part written in the first person present tense again felt rather contrived. As a romantic history, it's OK. As a novel from one of the leading popular historians of our time, it's a disappointment. (I did harbour a suspicion it was actually written by an assistant-writer and overseen by AW).
If you know nothing of the events and period and like an easy read, it's probably quite good. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Proof [DVD]
Proof [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gwyneth Paltrow
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

1.0 out of 5 stars What a squandering of talent...., 17 July 2014
This review is from: Proof [DVD] (DVD)
Great film, great cast, potentailly thrilling, but what a failure. Turgid dialogue. The plot doesn't develop, do, or go anywhere. Trys to convey drama and excitement by confusing flashbacks. I have no idea what this film was trying to say. Two great actors can't make anything of a dry script.
Don't waste your time.

A King's Ransom
A King's Ransom

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read..., 25 May 2014
This review is from: A King's Ransom (Kindle Edition)
Another winner from this fabulous author. Tells history as a great story. Well researched and beautifully written. Looking forward to the next one.

The Civil Wars
The Civil Wars

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but..., 25 May 2014
This review is from: The Civil Wars (Kindle Edition)
It's OK, but this series uses a translation from 1869 and the translation was rendered differently then. I bought this for my Kindle but the Penguin Classic version by John Carter is a much easier read.

Eat, Pray, Love [DVD] [2011]
Eat, Pray, Love [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ James Franco

1.0 out of 5 stars Do something else...., 14 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Eat, Pray, Love [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Astonishingly terrible film. No narrative or purpose. Even Julia Roberts is unable to rescue the pretentious dialogue. It's about a woman who goes to Italy to get over broken relationships - so ABSOLUTELY nothing new!

A few unappetizing shots of Italy, loads of food preparation and eating, and totally in-credible characters (literally). I lost the will to live after 20 minutes but persisted believing it would turn. It never did.

I think the production team wanted to make a film in Italy, ran out of inspiration, but carried on regardless.

Awful! Awful! Awful! One star is too many but I can't give it less.

Nikon COOLPIX L26 Compact Digital Camera - Red (16.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 15 Dec. 2012
I bought this for a holiday to the Bay of Naples. It takes terrible photos. The quality of the images is awful - when you zoom in, the image is badly pixelated. The battery life is very poor and inconsistent. I needed new batteries every day.

If you use the indoor lighting settings, every image is yellow. Using the sun/cloud setting made no difference. There is no way to set the time to control exposure. Thye colours are bad, the images are fuzzy. I have used different cameras over 40 years - this was the worst ever (digital and film!).

This was a first anniversary holiday to a place we'd always wanted to go. The camera thoroughly ruined any chance of having decent pictures.

My wife's iPhone 5 camera was much better.

This camera is going back.

If you want to point 'n' shoot for casual snaps - its probably fine. Anything more, don't waste your money.

Mozart: The Marriage of Figaro
Mozart: The Marriage of Figaro
Offered by EliteDigital UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok...until you listen, 31 Dec. 2007
I had this recording for years and was quite happy with it. Then I listened more carefully as I was working on the PC and found it a big disappointment.

The singing was accurate but lacked warmth and passion, which is strange because it has some good names on it. A rather wooden performance I felt. I've given it away and invested in a better copy.

Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum (PC)
Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum (PC)
Offered by Unique_Item_Bazaar

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 31 Dec. 2007
I've been using other products to order my work but this one has a much clearer and attractive user interface. Handles all things well, maps are useful too. But oh dear, oh dear. The charts and reports are very limiting. There aren't many and they cannot be configured. The one thing I use mine for is to produce a tree of all relatives and a supporting report of data in alphabetic order(rather basic stuff) - that isn't possible!! The designers have included charts the way they like to do them & don't seem to be bothered with any other way.

i suspect the chart may appear in the next upgrade - but if not, I'm going back to the rival software.

If your happy with whistles and bells and packaging - have fun. If you want to do serious research, think carefully.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2008 3:41 PM BST