Profile for Howard C. > Reviews

Content by Howard C.

Howard C. (Oxfordshire)

Page: 1 | 2
20 x 40 WATT BAYONET CAP B22 OPAL (WHITE) FINISH CANDLE BULBS DOUBLE LAMP LIFE: 2,000 HOURS
Offered by Eden Falls Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Top value bulbs, 17 Feb 2014
These were actually Polaroid bulbs rather than Eveready as advertised, but it's an equally reputable make so who cares? The main thing is, I have installed half of them round the house already - in proud defiance of EU directives - and have consigned all the energy savers to the bin. They have all been perfect so far, so I would happily buy from this source again. Terrific value and arrived just on time (free postage).

Dublin Smoking Pipe - London No 19 - Pear Wood - Hand Made
Dublin Smoking Pipe - London No 19 - Pear Wood - Hand Made

3.0 out of 5 stars O.K. but might disappoint, 20 Jan 2013
Don't expect too much from this pipe. How could anyone at the price? This is definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for' and I am afraid that after a few uses I have gone back to the trusty old briar. I did take trouble to break it in but it still burns hot and the flavour from my normally mellow tobacco is rather sharp and aggressive. The pipe is also disconcertingly light in feel - I personally prefer something much more substantial. Still, I don't feel I can complain as it does the job and is not badly made.

Pharma Nord Omega 7 Sea Buckthorn Oil 150 Capsules
Pharma Nord Omega 7 Sea Buckthorn Oil 150 Capsules
Offered by Blue Herbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Proving excellent for my wife's skin, 20 Jan 2013
As a practitioner of functional medicine for more than 13 years I have spent a lot of time looking out for supplements that really work in treating the wide variety of health issues that affect my clients. The marketplace is a minefield and frankly I would rather put my money down a drain than shop in those health shops that sell ineffectual rubbish in an effort to undercut their rivals. Many mail order suppliers come into a similar category.
Occasionally a real gem comes along. I have for a long time been recommending Pharma Nord products to clients. They are not the cheapest but they are of practitioner quality and to be trusted, as they are manufactured to pharmaceutical standards. Many people supplement their omega fatty acids by taking fish oil capsules, generally cod liver oil, but I have never been a fan of these, mainly on the grounds that even the best known makes have been found to be contaminated with carcinogenic compounds from the seas in which the fish have been caught. Also, fish oils do not contain the other omegas, and it is quite difficult to find a supplement that does so omegas 6 and 9 are largely overlooked. A fourth omega, omega 7, is very rarely found. Some good quality research, mainly in Russia and China, has found it to be extremely effective for lubrication of the mucus membranes and for skin health, amongst other benefits. My wife has been taking it for less than a month and already has begun to notice dramatic improvements to her facial skin. She has for many months suffered from over sensitive, inflamed skin on her cheeks and nose. This is now barely noticeable.
I shall in future be recommending this product as a good source of all the omegas to my clients.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2014 3:56 AM GMT

Commtel 42532070 Powered 3 into 1 Auto Scart Selector
Commtel 42532070 Powered 3 into 1 Auto Scart Selector
Offered by bc-sheffield

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Gadget!, 11 Mar 2012
Like so many people, we have accumulated hundreds of video cassettes and DVD's over the years. With the recent changeover to digital TV we upgraded our television and bought a new set top box with hard drive. The new TV has only two scart sockets, one of which is taken by the digibox and I was dreading the prospect of fiddling around with connections every time I wanted to play a cassette or DVD. This amazing little box solved the whole problem. Our old DVD player and VCR are both plugged into the gadget which is in turn connected to the one spare scart socket on the TV. The remarkable thing is that it automatically detects which player is being used so there is no need to change anything on the remote. Never have I known such a useful tool - and for so little money! A real winner.

TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender
TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender

5.0 out of 5 stars May require patience, but works in the end., 17 Aug 2011
Obviously for some buyers of this item, depending on the make and settings of their main router, setup is a walk in the park. For me it was not. Quite simply, the IP address of the TP-Link was the same as my router, so there was instant chaos, and all computers in the house refused to connect. I spent some hours following some of the very detailed, and well meaning instructions in the reviews above and things seemed to get worse. Several nervous breakdowns later I hit upon a very simple solution. I got into the setup menu, not from the quick setup wizard, but by attaching the extender to a PC with an ethernet cable and entering 192.168.1.254. In the quick setup this stubbornly refuses to be altered, but in the full setup it is possible to change the IP, which I did, to 192.168.1.253. There is a menu on the left hand side of the setup screen for making this type of change. Everything else was easy, except that the computer(s) which are to run on the new setting have to be individually 'tuned in' to it.
Now I have a much improved signal which travels 200 feet across the garden and through the double glazing of my home office. There is a maximum strength signal. This is very good value for such an effective piece of equipment.

Foods to Fight Cancer
Foods to Fight Cancer
by Richard Béliveau

4.0 out of 5 stars Good,but who is it for?, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Foods to Fight Cancer (Paperback)
First, one must acknowledge that the inspiration that can be offered to a cancer sufferer from this book is enormous. As a practitioner frequently being consulted by clients who want to know about ways to prevent recurrence, I would be happy to refer them to this work, as the information it contains is authoritative and comprehensive. However, I totally agree with Guy, above, in that the authors seem to be unsure about whom they are targetting. They positively encourage the outdated view that cancer is an enemy to be fought by everybody rather than encourage healthy lifestyle practices to prevent it rearing its head in the first place. It's really more a matter of presentation than of content, and if the book is about healthy living then cancer should surely not be singled out in preference to all the other ghastly illnesses of modern life. To present in such a way serves only to make people focus on the 'disease' rather than on the maintenance of good health, against all illnesses. So here we have high quality advice, such as might be offered by a competent nutritionist, with presentation that encourages the paranoia perpetuated by Big Pharma.

Ginger Pig Meat Book
Ginger Pig Meat Book
by Fran Warde

5.0 out of 5 stars Where To Start?, 2 July 2011
This review is from: Ginger Pig Meat Book (Hardcover)
How often have you been wooed whilst browsing by a collection of mouthwatering photographs in an expensive latest offering from a designer chef, yet another to further stress the already groaning bookshelves. Of course, you know that the book is going to repay its cost many times over so there is no feeling of guilt. When I look at the endless rows on the shelves at home I suddenly realise that to count the number of books that have been opened more than a couple of times and actually used to cook the dishes therein would probably not take more than the fingers of two hands. In just over 30 years my wife and I have assembled what must be one of the largest private cookery book collections in the country. Cooking is a great hobby of mine, but as I am not a particularly good cook I look to the recipes of the master chefs for inspiration. However, in most cases I find myself getting bored with recipes that are not particularly workable in the home and invariably end up doing my own thing. Furthermore, a lot of these glossy productions contain very little other than pictures - maybe one or two recipes that might be worth a try.

The Ginger Pig Meat Book is completely different. It is written by a couple of producers of some of the finest food the country has to offer and their recipes and advice are not there to impress but to show how British food can compete with any in the world, provided that the ingredients are properly sourced. Some years ago I was fortunate enough to work one day a week just minutes from their London butchery. This was to me a veritable Aladdin's Cave and I often wished I could just win a substantial sum on the lottery and eat from there for ever.

This book has so many exciting recipes that I just need to try that I have had a problem deciding where to start. I visited a superb country butchery today for some pork to cook really slowly in white wine, and a shoulder of lamb to follow their enticing 'Henrys' recipe. Monday will be their 'ultimate' burgers. The recipes do not seem difficult to follow; everything is simply and logically explained.

Definitely the best cookery book I have bought in years, far more satisfying than any of the 'masterchef' stuff.

Nutritional Medicine (Pan original)
Nutritional Medicine (Pan original)
by Stephen Davies

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Jun 2011
Based on a few other reviews I had read I had high hopes for this book, but these were not in the main fulfilled. To be fair, it was published in 1987 and there have been huge advances in the science of nutrition since then. It is at best quite easy to read, but by today's standards the content is frequently naive or over-simplistic. Far better is available, both for the layman and for those embarking on a study of nutrition, for example Dr. Paul Clayton's 'Health Defence'
One strange anomaly is the fact that in a book that is described at the outset as 'the drug- free guide to better family health' the authors on numerous occasions sing the praises of certain drugs, aspirin and ibuprofen being two examples.

Healing, Hype or Harm?: A Critical Analysis of Complementary or Alternative Medicine (Societas)
by Edzard Ernst

1.0 out of 5 stars Where are the pictures?, 19 Sep 2010
It is surprising that this publication does not have pictures on every page. There are also far too many words of more than one syllable. It is, after all, clearly aimed at the mentality of the average 'Sun' reader.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2011 1:21 PM GMT

Trick or Treatment?: Alternative Medicine on Trial
Trick or Treatment?: Alternative Medicine on Trial
by Simon Singh

1.0 out of 5 stars Truth On Trial, 3 Jun 2009
Ignorance is a dangerous failing, but when mixed with arrogance it produces a lethal cocktail. I am uncertain whether this pair can really be so lacking in understanding of their subject as would initially appear to be the case, or whether there is some collusion with Big Pharma. In any event, I have never before encountered such a monumental collection of garbage in one place. It will no doubt appeal to the brain-dead but to anyone with some activity between the ears its bigotry will be evident from page 1.
As an experienced alternative practitioner I have had the satisfaction of helping thousands of clients with health issues, and the majority of these have decided to use natural methods wherever possible. The results have been consistently outstanding, and neither I nor my now healthy clients need any 'experts' to pontificate on what really works.
I set out to write a critique of this atrocity but the task was daunting. Fortunately someone else did it far better than I could ever have hoped. The result is, happily, a free downloadable ebook called 'Halloween Science' by William Alderson. He has done the job so thoroughly that it has spanned 142 pages, and, unlike the Singh/Ernst offering, it is properly backed up by a very large bibliography.
I have purchased 'Trick or Treatment' to use in future training courses for therapists, as there can be no finer example of the kind of prejudice which they are likely to encounter in their careers.
I hope Messrs. Singh and Ernst are proud of their efforts to dissuade sick people from obtaining treatment that works. I wonder how some of their very brilliant colleagues who are qualified at the highest level in both mainstream and alternative practice, feel about rubbing shoulders with them.
Fortunately the failure of western drug-based medicine to do anything other than promote illness has given rise to the emergence of some very fine brains.
There is a proverb somewhere that says something to the effect, 'If you don't believe that something works don't disturb the people who are doing it'.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 11:21 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2