Profile for Mrs. L. K. Francis > Reviews

Content by Mrs. L. K. Francis

Mrs. L. K. Francis (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl
This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl
by Paul Brannigan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, 3 Nov 2013
This book was really hard work to read. I bought it as I had hoped it would be similar to the Anthony Kiedis autobiography I read and enjoyed. I don't need to know the intimate details of Dave Grohl's life but I was interested to understand how his life experiences might have shaped, motivated and inspired him and his work. This book did not however do that. Most of the content is just existing interview material which is already in the public domain rehashed and repackaged. It does give a critical review (or 6!) or every single track Dave has ever worked on including the bands he was in in high school. It was thoroughly boring. And not just Dave's tracks either but many tracks released by contemporaries of his. It also assumed a certain level of knowledge about the "scene" in various cities, uses loads of jargon, denotes people as belonging to various subcultures and cliques but never defines or describes what they are or why individuals and bands "belong" to them.

If you want a complete Dave Grohl's discography and a review or five of each item in it then you might like this book. If however you had hoped to glean an understanding of what motivates and drives the man and what inspires him to make such brilliant music or why he thinks he is good at it then look elsewhere. Personally I read NME, Melody Maker and Classic Rock, Metal Hammer or whatever when they published something I was interested in so it was of no value.

I've given it 3 stars as there were a few funny or heart warming moments and it has inspired me to dig out some old music I've not listened to in a while which is fun, and to reminisce on my teenage years and twenties and to remember some brilliant gigs.

Kingston Technology 8 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing - Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little device, 23 Oct 2013
I love this! What a great little USB stick. Small, perfectly formed and a great price from Amazon. I have the 8GB version. I was slightly worried after reading other reviews about it fitting in the usb port on my laptop, I have a slim, small, metal case Toshiba. However, not a thing to worry about goes in and out very easily, no "wobbling" or hard pulling required, so maybe there was something a bit off on those. Delivery was superquick and the frustration free packaging was great (if a little oversized), and recyclable. Very happy with this purchase, would highly recommend, and have done to workmates already. (No idea on transfer speed as this is not something I've measured or am worried about).

My Child Won't Eat!: How to enjoy mealtimes without worry
My Child Won't Eat!: How to enjoy mealtimes without worry
by Carlos González

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should read this, 18 Aug 2013
This book was liberating! I've always aimed to be pretty relaxed about what my children eat and never considered either of them problem eaters but reading this boom lifted a great burden from me. It is full of actual science and figures around what children really need to eat and it is (thankfully) distinctly lacking in personal opinion. I recommend it to everyone I know and all the feedback I've had from others is similar to my own view. I've even bought a copy for all my pregnant friends.

The White Princess
The White Princess

4.0 out of 5 stars Changed my perspective on early Tudors, 17 Aug 2013
Reading the White Princess has changed my view on the early Tudors from the commonly held (I believe) viewpoint that they were much beloved by the country for bringing the Wars of the Roses to an end. Sadly the White Princess is not the inspirational character that her mother is in the White Queen and I found the story to be a little lacking in excitement I'm not a lot happening from her perspective possibly this is due to the lack of any records from the time covering what the young Queen Elizabeth may or may not have been doing. Still a good read as always by Phillipa Gregory but not quite as inspirational as the other books so far in the series.

Wooden Handle Grip Falt Blade Turning Soil Gardening Tool Hoe 14.2"
Wooden Handle Grip Falt Blade Turning Soil Gardening Tool Hoe 14.2"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hard to find product, 23 April 2013
Bought for my mum to use on our vegetable garden. Could not find in garden centres anywhere! Very useful for digging beds where a spade or shovel is too cumbersome. Very good price and seems a sturdy tool.

Mini Tartelette Sablee Short Crust Sweet Butter Mini Tartlets 180 Portions
Mini Tartelette Sablee Short Crust Sweet Butter Mini Tartlets 180 Portions

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious crisp pastry, 23 April 2013
I get so many compliments on the tartelettes I make with these cases no matter the filling. Making the pastry is the most time consuming part of the process so being able to get these has made catering large events with professional products easy.

Mignardise Feuilletee Savoury Tartlet 6 cm 80 Portions
Mignardise Feuilletee Savoury Tartlet 6 cm 80 Portions

5.0 out of 5 stars Crisp and delicious, 23 April 2013
I bought these to make savoury tarts and they were perfect. A large mouthful, great for a finger buffet. They are made with lovely crisp pastry and they keep well for ages. You can fill and freeze then reheat to serve.

Addictaball Small Maze Puzzle 2
Addictaball Small Maze Puzzle 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get the reaction I hoped for, 5 Mar 2013
Bought this for my husband for Christmas. He was non-plussed. My 18 month old son quite likes shaking it though.

Johnny Morris Bedtime Stories (Vintage Beeb)
Johnny Morris Bedtime Stories (Vintage Beeb)
by Johnny Morris
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stories for kids, 5 Mar 2013
I was looking for something non-scary to put on for my 4 year old at bedtime. This totally fits the bill. Many of the "Disney" stories and classic fairy tales are actually quite scary so she didn't like them, but these outlandish Johnny Morris stories she loves. Wonderful reading voice and it lulls her gently to sleep.

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

5.0 out of 5 stars Every mother should have a copy, 5 Mar 2013
Buy this for all of your pregnant friends and if you are pregnant too. What a wonderful resource with lots of information about what is normal, every mothers question! Tear our sheets to refer to when you need to. I love that it is written like a good chat with an old friend too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3