Profile for N Potter > Reviews

Samsung Slim Retail External 3D Blu Ray - White
Samsung Slim Retail External 3D Blu Ray - White
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 10 May 2014
Originally was going to get an Apple Superdrive for my iMac / MacBook as neither have any Media device, but decided to go for this one instead as clearly has the benefit of Blu-Ray capability (something I can't see Apple ever officially supporting).

I went for the White one, as opposed to the Black one and I'm glad I did. It sits nicely on the desktop and compliments the style and sleekness of the iMac perfectly.

I bought it with the intention of ripping lots of my most watched DVDs/Blu-Rays to M4V/MP4 so that I can add them to my iTunes library for streaming to my AppleTV3. It has worked a charm with everything I've thrown at it. Doesn't take too long to rip a Blu-Ray (on average say around half an hour) and less for a DVD / CD. It's fairly quiet in operation, but it's not something you will be running 24/7 so shouldn't be an issue for most users. I've not yet tried the Disc Burning side of things as I've not had any need to.

Overall, very happy with it and glad I chose this over the Superdrive. Does far more, for far less!

Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013)
Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device!, 10 May 2014
Wasn't sure whether this would work with the Sky Fibre Hub (Black SR102), but needn't have worried as works a dream.

Glad I read about taking care opening the box, otherwise I'd most likely have been picking it up off the floor as the bottom half of the box falls out when sliding the top part off. So be careful!

Connection was simple. Connected a LAN cable from the Airport Extreme to the Sky Router (which still acts as the Modem side of things), ran the Airport App on my iMac to set it up, done in Bridge Mode, set up the WiFi name etc and boom, job done. I've then turned off the Sky Routers own WiFi so connected purely via WiFi to the Extreme's network I set up.

I have seen a vast improvement on my internal network as it maintains the 802.11ac connection on the 5GHz band, which I can max out as none of my neighbours are using 5GHz so have no stray channel interference. Dead spots around the house have vanished with a strong connection virtually everywhere. Speedtest.net results show that I am getting a better WiFi download on 5GHz than I am on the previous 2.4GHz band. Furthermore, internal streaming from iTunes on my iMac / MacBook Pro / AppleTV / iPhone / iPad is great, no stuttering, very brief buffering to start a 1080p HD stream (but quicker than it was). File transfers over WiFi are much faster too as using 802.11ac rather than 802.11n (still not as good as a wired LAN, but it's still an improvement) so large files such as Movies etc are easily transferred from one Mac to another with ease.

I may be a bit of an Apple Fanboy, but these things not only look great, but they work! Premium price for a premium product! I've not had to unplug or reboot anything and hasn't dropped the WiFi connection once!

Overall - delighted!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 10:30 PM BST

WD TV Live Media Player
WD TV Live Media Player
Offered by Digital Components Ltd (dclstore)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great. Does what it says on the tin!, 18 May 2013
Owned this now for a couple of weeks. My Smart TV does have a built in Media Server, however whenever I'd tried to watch anything the picture would jump, jerk and stutter.

Enter, the WD TV Live to save the day. The only reason I have given it 4/5 is due to it not having LOVEFiLM, instead has NetFlix. If they were to add LOVEFiLM then it would get a full 5/5.

I've connected my WD TV Live to my home network via a Netgear Gigabit switch using Wired LAN, which in turn is connected to a WD MyBook 2TB NAS Drive (1080p streaming seems to work better on Wired LAN than on Wireless, but 720p works fine on both).

At first, the WD TV Live would also display the same properties as my Smart TV and give stutter on playback across the network. However, once I'd done a bit of digging and discovered this was usually due to differences in 24hz/50hz/60hz rates and the way that TVs display them. Subsequently discovered that the HDMI settings weren't correct straight out of the box and changed the HDMI connection to change the output resolution to Automatic, and match the original files framerate, that problem completely went away and now I get smooth playback with no skips, freezes, jumps, jitters or stutters.

Outputs the original sources DTS/DD5.1/PCM track as appropriate over HDMI (again, that's not the default setting and need to select that from the setup menus as it's standard 2 Channel Stereo by default). Sometimes the lip-sync is slightly off, but you an easily +/- the sync in 100ms steps via the Option menu which is handy as it changes in real time.

It's played every single video file I've asked it to (apart from one or two FLV files I downloaded off YouTube, but put that down to the way the files were encoded. When I transcoded them using Handshake to change the format, they played fine).

I liked the HDMI CEC option (Again Off by default), as when turned on, when I turn the WD TV Live unit on, it turns my TV On, goes to the correct HDMI input for my Onkyo AV Receiver and selects the right input for the HDMI socket that the WD TV Live is connected to. (And when I turn it off, it turns the TV & Onkyo off as well).

All in all, very happy with the WD TV Live and would recommend it. (Just wish it had LOVEFiLM on it as well!)

Premier AV HF0040 Plasma and LCD TV Silver Leg Stand Upto 37 inch or 40kgs - Black Glass, Silver Legs

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK stand .. Could be better, 15 Aug. 2012
As a stand, it serves it's purpose and is cheaper than similar stands you can get in several high street retailers. However the build quality is nowhere near as good. The legs are just hollow tubes and rattle about. Three of mine were squashed into more oval shapes, rather than round. I had to squeeze them back to shape. The plastic spacers are clearly cheaply produced and not what you'd expect, rough finishes, and easy to miss-position them so when you tighten the legs, you end up crushing the edge. One of the bolts that secures the cable tidy at the rear, refused point blank to find a thread or tighten so I just left that last one off, still seems solid enough. I'm happy enough with the stand now it's in place and any visitors would be hard pushed to notice any of these issues, but next time I may spend a little more on the high street, had two previously from them and they are of a better quality build. (Maybe I was just unlucky with this one!)

XO Digital Optical Toslink Cable 1m / 1 Metre Premium Install Series - suitable for PS3, PS4, XBOX One, Sky HD, LCD, LED, Plasma, Blu-ray, Home Cinema Systems, AV Amps.
Offered by HDCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 21 May 2012
What can you say, why spend a fortune on a cable that will do the same thing. It works great and at a fraction of the price of others. Hooked up from my Sky+HD box to my Onkyo AV Amp and works like a dream.

Panasonic TX-P42ST50B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Ready Plasma TV with Freeview and Smart Viera - Black (New for 2012)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 19 May 2012
Bought this Panasonic TX-P42ST50B (the 42" version) as a replacement for my six year old Panasonic 32" LCD which I've now moved to a new location. Always tend to stick to brands that I am familiar with, and as a bit of a Panasonic fan, had been waiting for their 2012 models and delighted with the new, much smaller "Samsung-esque" thin edges and crystal frame.

This is my first Plasma TV and have to say I am very happy. I spent a while researching and reading reviews and opinions online before I committed to this one. Winning several "Best Buy" or "Recommendation" awards from Tech Sites swayed me somewhat! (I was also considering the TX-L42DT50B LED, but the fact that was almost £500 more expensive than this one, I made the jump to Plasma).

Ordered on Wednesday afternoon at 3pm and Amazon delivered the following morning at 8am via City Link, so whilst I've only had it a few days, I am still finding my feet and still twiddling with settings and so on (and expect I'll continue to tweak it for a little while yet).

First impressions; Screen uniformity is very good, I have not noticed any splodges, smudging, blobs, banding or anything unusual. Watching Freeview HD is very good indeed providing a much better picture than their SD counterparts. That said, SD upconversion is far far better than on my previous LCD and more than acceptable. Obviously will never be as good as a dedicated HD source, but it's still good! Nice to see that Panasonic have listened to gripes regarding their intrusive use of Advertising on the Freeview TV Guide, and they have now been sent to the bin and no longer plague the set! (Hooray!) so can see more of the actual guide on screen. Still no Thumbnail of the channel you are on in the corner though, which would have been nice, but still, maybe next year, or maybe with a software update that will eventually arrive.

Sound. Has a couple of different sound modes built in, so whilst true cinema addicts and audiophiles will want to plug in a dedicated AV or Home Cinema Receiver with speakers, it's still adequate and does a decent job of providing good levels of audio, which will be perfectly fine for a lot of people. I've got it connected to an Onkyo HTS-4505 Home Cinema via Viera Link.

Viera Connect/Cast. Nice to see a built in WiFi (and a wired LAN as well if you prefer), so no need to buy separate cumbersome dongles or bridges, works straight out the box and simple to set up. BBCi Player, in HD mode is absolutely gorgeous. Never seen BBCi Player look so good! (I used to connect my laptop to the old LCD via a HDMI lead as a "2nd Screen" and watch it on the screen that way, but this blows it out the water, looks great). Be good to see ITV Player, 4/5 On Demand or even Sky Go appear at some point. As I subscribe to LoveFilm, disappointed that Panasonic still haven't (yet) provided access to LoveFilm via their service, instead partnering with NetFlix and AceTrax. Again, maybe this will arrive in the future, I hope so anyway! I guess most of the apps on there won't be used by most people, but things like BBC iPlayer, BBC News, Facebook and Twitter will be the apps most will get some time from.

If you have an IOS (Apple iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone) or Android device, you can download the Panasonic Viera Remote App from the relevant store to act as a remote control - particularly handy for the Keyboard as using the normal TV Remote is clunky and a time consuming pain in the derrière! Makes it much easier!

Hooking up my Sky+HD receiver, brings the TV to life. Watching parts of Transformers Dark Side of the Moon, Super 8 and Alice in Wonderland just look absolutely gorgeous, crisp, colourful and the black levels are spot on, no light greys or trails on fast panning or action, smooth, perfect frankly!

3D - Only got a set of 3D glasses this morning, so haven't really tested out that aspect of things, but Soccer AM on Sky3D looked pretty good! And Panasonic have a Showcase of 3D videos in their Viera Connect service and took the guided tour of the British Museum in London not long ago and that was very good! Sure there's some tweaks I can make to settings to make it even better, but my first impression of 3D is good. Haven't got any 3D Blu-Rays (as don't have a 3D player yet) so can't test any of that out.

Blu-Ray Movies. Had a bit of a play around with that and played the new version of "The Thing" in both normal mode and turning on the 24p Output option (which seemed to be much smoother and crisper). I don't really understand what the difference is with 24p output and normal 60hz, so will have to do a bit more research on that before I can decide what's best! But Blu-Rays either way look better than they have ever done.

External USB .. Downloaded some MKV content and popped that onto a USB stick and into the slot on the side of the set. Recognised I'd plugged it in and played it with no problem at all and looks far better on the big screen than it does on my 17" laptop!

Overall, I am delighted with it at the moment and would recommend it to anyone thinking about buying it!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2013 9:26 PM BST