Profile for CDO > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
String Theory in a Nutshell
String Theory in a Nutshell
by Elias Kiritsis

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind-blowingly difficult maths but once you understand it, it's very good, 22 Nov. 2015
Massively comprehensive and you'd better understand degree-level maths before you buy this!

Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese Script New Edition (TYBS)
Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese Script New Edition (TYBS)
by Helen Gilhooly

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 22 Nov. 2015
A good book, slightly let down for me by pandering to the Americans. This is a UK teacher that uses US terms I really don't understand. Perhaps I don't watch enough American TV but I do wish British authors would use UK terms and make the Yanks understand our terminology and not try to force us to understand theirs. It would have been better had she used British terms with US equivalents in parentheses, which she did in one or two cases but not consistently. To be fair, she is not helped by the Japanese using kanji that reflect American terms such as 高校 (high school) but perhaps that's what happens when you come second in a war?
The only other criticism I could really make is that it would have been better had the author included more kanji - there are 2,136 standard characters but she introduces only a small fraction of that number. There are other books that cover the entire standard set and more very well but this book is a good starting point and the thinking behind remembering the radicals is better than the other books I've seen. All in all, even given it's shortcomings, well worth buying.

The Craft of the Japanese Sword
The Craft of the Japanese Sword
by Leon Kapp

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you every wanted to know - almost., 22 Nov. 2015
A hugely interesting and informative book. What more can I say? The book, unfortunately concentrates on the creation of the blade and almost skips over the koshirae but having said that, I suspect that is the part of the sword that evokes the most interest in most peoples' mind. A fascinating read and still worth five stars.

CSS: The Definitive Guide
CSS: The Definitive Guide
by Eric A. Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 22 Nov. 2015
Comprehensive and up-to-date. Well laid out and well written.

PMR 446 Walkie-Talkie Two Way Radios (Pair)
PMR 446 Walkie-Talkie Two Way Radios (Pair)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent walkie-talkies - easy to use and good range even ..., 22 Nov. 2015
Excellent walkie-talkies - easy to use and good range even in difficult terrain. Several features most people won't use but nice to play with. Well made and very rugged. Battery life very good. My only gripe is that you can't work out what the battery charge state is. There is an on-screen indicator but it is very low resolution and doesn't give you much information and when recharging you just have to leave the thing on for a long time and guess when it's finished. Other than that, it's a very good product.

Krups Twin Blade Coffee Mill
Krups Twin Blade Coffee Mill
Offered by Bright Sparks Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a spice grinder for curries, 22 Nov. 2015
I've been using this regularly for well over a year and it's given me powerful, faultless service grinding hard spices such as cinnamon and peppercorns. Easy to clean the body with damp kitchen towel, although the lid has discoloured a little bit with extended use, even when I dunk it in a dishwasher, which it stands up to very well. This is my favourite kitchen gadget and I wouldn't be without it.

Erde Erde Flat Cover for 142, 143 and 153
Erde Erde Flat Cover for 142, 143 and 153

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad..., 22 Nov. 2015
Good product, but expensive.

Razer Goliathus Speed Gaming Mouse Mat - Large
Razer Goliathus Speed Gaming Mouse Mat - Large

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 11 May 2014
Good manufacturing quality but messes up my Microsoft Comfort Desktop 5000 mouse. It's also ugly when laying on my desk.

Dynasty Magnetic Drywipe Whiteboard 900 x 600mm Aluminium Framed. Superior Quality with Pen Shelf, Fixing Kit and Free Delivery
Offered by Packaging.Products.Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 11 May 2014
I'm with the other reviewers that say that this is not as described. Poor quality, not very sturdy and a deeply unsatisfactory method for hanging it. I won't be buying one of these again, which is a shame - I have a 1200x900 board from the same maker which is very, very good quality for only £10.95 more.

Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex Corded Rotary Lawnmower (40 cm Cutting Width) (discountinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Country Gardening

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 1 Aug. 2011
I chose this lawnmower because I have a larger than average garden and it already had some good reviews. I was not disappointed. It took 10-15 minutes to assemble and I was able to cut grass which was something like 18" high (in some areas) on a cutting height of 2" (50mm). Better yet, the grass was slightly damp and it still had no problem. Once I had cut it to a decent length I thought I'd try it on a shorter cut, just to see how it performed; it struggled with the damp grass on the lowest cut but overall I was very impresssed. It's powerful, remarkably easy to use and has a good sized grass box. I'm very, very happy with it after a month of use. The only critisism I have is that the lead could be a bit longer - most people will need an extension, I suspect, and an extra 5 yards of cable surely wouldn't make that much difference to the price, even if they sell thousands of them.

Page: 1 | 2