Profile for Alice Penworthy > Reviews

The Six Wives of Henry VIII
The Six Wives of Henry VIII
by David Loades

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 16 Sept. 2010
This book is much shorter than any of the other books on Henry VIII's six wives which I have come across. I thought it was absolutely fascinating and it spurred me on to read other books by David Loades. I couldn't put it down!

The Tudor Queens of England
The Tudor Queens of England
by David Loades

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Sept. 2010
This book was really excellent. I had read Loades's book on the six wives of Henry VIII before and this book is, in many ways, very similar. I think I preferred this book overall though as Loades looks at all the Tudor queens, not just Henry VIII's wives. He also gives information on some of the pre-Tudor queens , such as Catherine of Valois, which I thought helped to explain the ways that the Tudors acted in many respects. I agree with the previous reviewers and think that I learned a great deal from the book.

Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty
Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty
by Elizabeth Norton

5.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting, 16 Sept. 2010
I have just finished reading this book. I received it at the same time as my copy of Philippa Gregory's `The Red Queen' and thought that I would read this first so that I knew about the historical Margaret Beaufort. I found this book really interesting. What I like most about Elizabeth Norton's books is that she deals with her subjects chronologically and it is easy to follow the events of their lives. This book is full of fascinating details. I particularly liked the information on Margaret's third marriage to Henry Stafford, as well as her involvement in the conspiracies against Richard III. There were also lots of little details that kept me interested. Norton talks about what Margaret ate at particular events, and what she wore, as well as dealing with the more political aspects of her subject. All in all, I thought this was an excellent book and would recommend it to anyone.

Mary Boleyn: The True Story of Henry VIII's Mistress
Mary Boleyn: The True Story of Henry VIII's Mistress
by Josephine Wilkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 1 Sept. 2010
Mary Boleyn - Josephine Wilkinson 4 stars `Fascinating'

This book is very short, which I thought was a shame, but I had already seen a copy in the shop and knew that it would be more of an overview. I have never been that interested in Mary Boleyn, to be honest, but I was given this book as a present and thought that I would give it a go. I am very glad that I did as I enjoyed it immensely. I particularly liked the information of Mary's time in France as, whilst there does not appear to be much information, Wilkinson provides quite a good picture of what she would have been doing and what her role was.

I was also interested in the information about Mary's marriage to William Carey and, in particular, on whether or not her children were Henry VIII's. I thought Wilkinson argued her points really well. I'm not sure if I would agree with everything she said, but I really enjoyed her arguments.

All in all, this is a really good book and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Tudor history. It was refreshing to read about someone who wasn't a queen or a member of the royal family for a change!

Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
by Elizabeth Norton

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and Fascinating, 1 Sept. 2010
I loved this book. Jane Seymour has always been my favourite of Henry VIII's wives and it has always been hard to find information on her. I liked the first half as I found the information about Jane's family interesting. I also thought it was well written and Norton's writing style always keeps me wanting to read more. I particularly like her use of quotes and she gives you a feel for the real Jane, especially in her discussion of her role in Anne Boleyn's death. The best part of the book was definitely the section on Jane as queen. I really enjoyed reading about Jane's religious beliefs and her opinion on the Pilgrimage of Grace. I also thought that Norton provided the best summary on the Pilgrimage of Grace that I have read so far. My favourite chapter was on Princess Mary, who I have also always been interested in. I was intrigued by Jane's role in bringing Mary back to court.

I have read about Jane in other books on the six wives in general but it always feels as though she is a bit of an afterthought, once the writer has gone through the more exciting stories of Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn. It was refreshing to read a book focussed solely on Jane and I though it added a new viewpoint to read about Anne Boleyn's fall from Jane's point of view for the first time. The book is not very long, which is a shame, but it is full of really interesting information about Jane Seymour and I would highly recommend it.