Profile for RhoobarbMan > Reviews

RhoobarbMan (Nottingham)

Release
Release

4.0 out of 5 stars A great discovery, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Release (MP3 Download)
Never heard of the guy and came across him supporting Howling Bells. His performance was spellbinding from beginning to end so much so I was worried he had killed the main act. Thankfully they were great as well.

His vocal range is magnificant going from gentle high pitched with Geoff Buckley like beauty to a deep and coarse style reminisent of a rocked up Tom Waits but the music he is truly his own. He is a one off who gives everything he has.

The album gets 4 stars as it is great but does not quite capture quite how great he is live but for sure I am bound to listen to it loads

Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch Docking Station (Aluminium Unibody Mid 2009 Onwards) by Henge Docks

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, absolutely brilliant, 29 Sep 2010
At home I use an external monitor, keyboard and also plug in ethernet as well as various peripheral devices and was fed up of attaching a multitude of cables so decided to look for a docking station. Not wanting to spend much having just purchased a mbp (2010 model), an external monitor and set up a media network, henge dock seemed the only feasible product.

My only advanced reservation was whether I would have any problems getting the cable ends to insert into their ports. Thankfully the dock is well designed and the cables are securely fixed in place meaning I have to apply very little pressure to dock my mac. This is an important consideration with docking as I have had experience of ports being damaged by a poor docking unit. I do not forsee any such problems here.

The henge dock is a little fiddly to set up but is a very slick and robust piece of kit and makes my office look less cluttered. After just a few weeks of usage I would be lost without it. I strongly recommend it.

Warning: Cables are permamently attached. The package includes 2 usd cables, a cat6 ethernet port and an audio jack but you will have to purchase an Apple mini display port adaptor (not the generic ones as these do not fit) as well as a spare power cable (the old shape one - these are available on Amazon). Although I could knock 1/2 a star off the rating for the dock not being able to use the new mag-safe power cable I will not as I am overwise very very impressed.

Oh forgot to mention, the packaging is up to the Apple standard which is always a joy.

Murphy's Heart - Special Edition
Murphy's Heart - Special Edition
Offered by UK Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably her best to date, 11 Sep 2010
I first heard of Thea when she released Avalanche. I was instantly hooked and I still am.

She has a voice as clear and fresh as a mountain stream with emotions running deep. She evokes beautiful imagery using well crafted and intelligent lyrics which only a wordsmith who has lived a life could produce. I am mystified why she is not a household name. In about 6 years of listening to her I have never introduced her music to people without being anything less than impressed. In my view she is the best British singer song writer of a generation and should be celebrated and treasured.

Murphy's Heart is beautiful, balanced and mature. It has the zip of Rules for Jokers with the beauty of Liejacker. If you have never heard Thea this album would be a fabulous introduction.

And whats more she is touring soon. Maybe I will see you there.

Don't Wanna Die
Don't Wanna Die

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 12 April 2008
This review is from: Don't Wanna Die (Audio CD)
I spent several years of my musical listening career listening to the sounds of the 60's and 70's and it is quite apparent that the band have done like wise. Thankfully the album in no anachronism despite it's obvious 1968 Californian inspiration.

I saw the band supporting James in Derby and they rock. So much so that I bought I don't wanna die from Lee Baker after the gig and must have played it at least 6 times since (and that was less than 2 days ago). I am not alone in being excited about the sounds as some friends have also listened to the album continuously.

If you get a chance to see them you live will not be disappointed.

If you read this review 'Lee Baker' don't forget to come to Nottingham as promised!