Profile for Bleak House > Reviews

Content by Bleak House

Bleak House "cheaton" (London UK)

The Judge Sums Up
The Judge Sums Up

3.0 out of 5 stars Summing up, 5 July 2010
This review is from: The Judge Sums Up (Paperback)
Very slow delivery - I ordered on 3 June and received 23 June after a reminder. Book as described.

Thursday Night Widows
Thursday Night Widows
by Claudia Pineiro

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Thursday Night Widows (Paperback)
I'm obviously out of sync with everyone else on this as I was not impressed by this book. I found the characters confusing and unlikeable and the 'story' such as it was unlikely. Is it the translation? Not sure but the descriptions were pointless and sometimes I couldn't understand why they were included. For instance what was the point of the maid and the holey T-shirt? It went on and on. By the end I couldn't care less why they were all dead in the swimming pool and wished I hadn't wasted my money.

Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide to Enjoying and Getting the Best from Chickens
by Jeremy Hobson

5.0 out of 5 stars Hen keeping, 18 May 2009
This is a beautifully produced book with lovely photos and drawings and lots of good info for those wanting to keep hens. My one criticism is that it doesn't mention very much about getting rescue hens but presumes one is buying pure breeds. This may because it is written by someone living in France. However, highly recommended.

BOSCH ROTAK 34 LAWNMOWER- 1400W
BOSCH ROTAK 34 LAWNMOWER- 1400W

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mower, 18 May 2009
I researched mowers on Amazon before buying and this one had 16/19 x 5* reviews. It seems to live up to its name (used 3 times so far) and is such an improvement on my previous hover mower. My lawn already looks fantastic. I did find the plastic cuttings box difficult to put together and I have to remember to keep emptying it but that's probably because I hadn't cut the grass all winter. Highly recommended.

Six Suspects: Detective Fiction
Six Suspects: Detective Fiction
by Vikas Swarup

3.0 out of 5 stars A curate's egg, 8 Mar. 2009
I dithered over whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars... some of it (particularly the bit where 'Larry Page' is kidnapped in the mistaken belief he is THE Larry Page) was hilarious, other bits sad, some just plain tedious - and some far-fetched. I also got a bit confused with the names but perhaps that was just me.

It was unusual however, and I probably am being a bit mean about it! I did read it to its satisfactory ending!