Profile for Mrs. Christine Mcritchie > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Christine...

Mrs. Christine Mcritchie (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Blue Bottle Mystery: An Asperger Adventure (Asperger Adventures)
Blue Bottle Mystery: An Asperger Adventure (Asperger Adventures)
by Kathy Hoopmann
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story, and thought provoking too., 3 Jun 2012
We were given this book for our daughter a few months after her diagnosis with Aspergers. I decided to read it first, and I thought it was a lovely story, giving a good insight into the life of a family who have a child with undiagnosed Aspergers, and following their journey, and how they find ways to help the child cope with the kind of big but "normal" changes like moving house. The story is moving and has a happy and quite amusing ending, so appealed to my daughter (then aged 9). My other children also enjoyed reading it, from time to time I find it's useful to give them material like this as it reminds them that our Aspie doesn't see the world as they do, and they need to remember and understand that, because it's far easier for us "neuro-typicals" in the house to try to understand our Apsie, than it is for her to try to understand how we see the world. I'd love to see a few more stories like this. Could be read by any child and I think would be a useful book to have available in primary school (KS2 level).

All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome
All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome
by Kathy Hoopmann
Price: 9.19

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant book!, 3 Jun 2012
This book was recommended after our daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome - after trying to digest a Tony Attwood textbook on the subject this one came as a massive and brilliant contrast - by flicking through the book and looking at the hilarious images and well thought-out text, we all gained a pretty good insight into the world of Aspergers in just a few minutes. It was a great choice for showing to her siblings, and one of them even used it as a base for a school presentation she was asked to do about children with special needs. What I particularly liked is that the book shows both the challenging and the more positive sides to Aspergers, the ways in which it can make day to day life hard, and the ways in which Aspergers people can make the world a more interesting place. It's a well made hard back with absolutely adorable photography.

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
by Tony Attwood
Price: 14.71

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard work!, 3 Jun 2012
I was recommended this book after my daughter was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, but personally, I found it was too detailed, difficult to understand in places, and reading it was really hard work. If you are wanting to know absolutely all there is to know about the history and possible symptoms of Aspergers then by all means give it a go, but I'd suggest getting it out of the library for a quick flick before you invest in your own copy. Although I am well educated, I really wanted to get my information in more easily digestible chunks, this book is a hefty hard back and not an easy read at all. My copy went back to the library, I never did finish reading it. After wading through areas that didn't seem entirely relevant to our own situation I decided I might be better off finding books written in a more parent friendly way. If you are studying Aspergers as a physician then this should be up your street, however for a parent, I'd definitely suggest you have a look at it before you buy, as there are other books that can give you much of the information you need in a far more easily disgested format.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2013 3:15 AM BST

Amscan International Sticker Strips Iridescent Dolphins, Pack of 8
Amscan International Sticker Strips Iridescent Dolphins, Pack of 8
Price: 2.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Sticky fun..., 11 July 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
We got these for party bag fillers and were very happy with them, the children loved the iridescent stickers, they stick on very well and have stayed put (which isn't always good depending on where they stick them!), but yes on the whole these are worth the money and were a popular choice.

Bestway Sea Scene Lagoon Family Paddling Pool (108" x 62" x 18")
Bestway Sea Scene Lagoon Family Paddling Pool (108" x 62" x 18")

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pool!, 11 July 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Got this pool recently as my 10 year old wanted a party at home with water, so this seemed a good choice. I was initially put off by the price but am glad I went for it. It was easy enough to inflate with a pump hooked up to the car. There are 2 independent rings to inflate, and it's still up 6 weeks later and hasn't lost much air at all. The pool is big enough for our family, our teen doesn't tend to go in it but the other 3 aged 7, 10 and 11 have all been in it, and we've had up to 4 children in it at a time. It does take a while to fill and for some reason our hose won't sit in it like it did in our round pool, so we have to stand there holdling it while it fills, but that's only a little thing. It has a plug for easy emptying, and the material seems quite robust on the bottom. All in all we're very pleased with it, and love the shape which just makes it a bit different.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2013 4:02 PM BST

No 1 Teacher Mug, Teacher Gift
No 1 Teacher Mug, Teacher Gift

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a mug..., 11 July 2011
This review is from: No 1 Teacher Mug, Teacher Gift
I got this mug recently and I must confess to being a bit disappointed with it when it came, the colour of it is a sort of chewing-gum grey / off-white which I don't really like. The quality is not as good as I'd hoped for, it feels very light and cheaply made given the robust styling of it, and I'm not convinced it will last. It's ok if you just need a teacher gift and aren't that fussy about it, but I wish I'd ordered a bit further in advance as I'm sure I could have done better for the price.

More Than Words: Bereaved by suicide.
More Than Words: Bereaved by suicide.
by Maria Worton
Price: 10.45

5.0 out of 5 stars The most revealing, moving and gut-wrenching true story I've ever read., 2 Feb 2010
This book should come with a big box of tissues, it will make you cry - it even made me laugh in places - prepare to enter the world of the newly bereaved young widow. Maria Worton was only 32 when her husband died. They were newly weds, they should have had their whole lives ahead of them. It didn't work out that way, and Maria was left devastated. In this book she shares her desperate lows, her long empty days and desolate nights, her thoughts, feelings, fears and endless questions in a very open, honest and moving way.

This book is relevant to anyone who is mourning the death of a life partner (particularly the young widow/widower), and anyone working with or supporting the widowed. As the death in this case was by suicide, More Than Words also offers a unique insight into the particular issues faced by people who are trying to pick up the pieces following the suicide of a loved one. It's not an easy read, however the book does end on a positive note, and offers hope to others in similar situations that they can survive the devastating death of a life partner, and find meaning in life again.

Dolphin Island (Nintendo DS)
Dolphin Island (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Retro's
Price: 9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely frustrating game!, 28 Dec 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
My 8 year old daughter received this game for Christmas and loved the first 4 days, but on day 5 some men turn up and start scoring how well you are doing, if you don't get a fantastic score from the start of the day they tell you to start again and you are sent back to the start of the day (and have to scroll through pages of conversation which takes ages). I've tried helping her get past that bit but even I can't get past it! It's incredibly frustrating as the men don't give you enough time to ensure the entire park is as it should be. The only option is to start a new game and try again, which is silly. Poor game design in my opinion.

I would not recommend buying this game for a younger child as they will simply find it annoying and frustrating, not fun. Instead I recommend My Pet Dolphin 2 which is a lot of fun and lets you look after the animals, play with them, help babies find their mothers and find treasure. None of this "men in black" coming to close you down business.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2010 8:41 AM BST

Little Animal Ark: 1: The Playful Puppy
Little Animal Ark: 1: The Playful Puppy
by Lucy Daniels
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fiction for kids, 22 Aug 2009
Little Animal Ark books are ideal for children who are independent readers, but not ready for the subject matter of other texts. Our 5 year old daughter lapped up the lovely story and wants to read the entire series (thank goodness for libraries!), her reading skills are advanced for her age and she reads as well as many 7 year olds. Other books she enjoys are Rainbow Magic (likes the story though the text is getting a bit simple and she reads them too fast) and Beast Quest (about her level of reading ability but personally I would prefer a gentler subject matter!).

It's a relief to find a nice fiction series she can enjoy reading to herself (or with me if she wants to), and knowing Lucy Daniels also writes for the slightly older child too with Animal Ark and Dolphin Diaries. A good author to discover.

Imperfectly Natural Woman: Getting Life Right the Natural Way
Imperfectly Natural Woman: Getting Life Right the Natural Way
by Janey Lee Grace

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and thought provoking, 17 July 2009
This book lived in my car for many months, being dipped into whenever I found myself outside one of my children's many activities and needing something to do! I found it a fascinating read with lots of tips and ideas for how to make your life greener. It's great to see Janey promoting products such as Mooncups, which many women are unaware of. Some of the suggestions were a bit too way out for me, but as she says throughout, it's ok to be imperfect, nobody gets it right all the time!

I would recommend this to any woman who wants to lead her life in a more natural way, in harmony with nature, however be prepared for a long haul, the book is quite thick and detailed and it can take a while to digest! Busy women might prefer something a little less wordy.

Page: 1 | 2