Profile for geoff taylor > Reviews

Content by geoff taylor

geoff taylor

Page: 1 | 2
Severn, Avon & Birmingham (Collins Nicholson Waterways Guides, Book 2)
Severn, Avon & Birmingham (Collins Nicholson Waterways Guides, Book 2)
by Jonathan Mosse
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must When Cruising, 15 Nov 2013
This book, and others in the series, I consider to be a very useful reference when cruising our rivers and canals.
Most of the content is very accurate, though we did find one mooring on the Avon which had been washed out by floods last Winter - but no book can keep that up to date.
There is lots of useful information to help with navigation of rivers, canals, locks etc. We also use the listings of pubs, shops etc. close to the route.
It sits easily on the boat when cruising and fits into a waterproof map case for those inevitable times when rain hits you while on the move.
One improvement I would like to see is a couple of pages showing distances to supplement the few that are listed at the start of each section.

I will soon have the complete set.

Tubular Bells [2009 Remaster]
Tubular Bells [2009 Remaster]
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Those Tubular Bells Again!, 15 Nov 2013
I have been a fan of Tubular Bells since it was first released in the '70's and periodically listen to Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells II and Tubular Bells III. Unfortunately, I only had a copy of Tubular Bells on tape.
I saw a fascinating programme giving the background story to Mike Oldfield and the making of the original Tubular Bells. This spurred me into getting a CD of the Album. Unable to find the original on CD I read reviews for the subsequent CD mixes and thought this one would fit the bill. It meets my expectations with only one or two very subtle changes.
It is now back near the top of my play list.

Do you Dare?
Do you Dare?

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick read, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Do you Dare? (Kindle Edition)
Being a short Kindle book there was not enough time to explore the characters in any depth. OK if you want a couple of quick, snapshot fantasies. Explicit and quite clearly written.

Confessions: A Secret Diary
Confessions: A Secret Diary
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 15 May 2013
The start of the book was fairly run of the mill stuff. However, I am glad I persevered. I became drawn into the main characters. Some of the confessions are very explicit, but I felt written in context. Some of the characters are developed well during the book and while still fairly shallow, it is more than just something to titillate. Fitted in well in my repertoire of holiday reads.

Perfect Crime
Perfect Crime
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting short storey, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Perfect Crime (Kindle Edition)
Clearly written and easy to visualise events as they happened. I did not work out the ending too early in the book. It kept my interest and I read it in one go.

World War One: History in an Hour
World War One: History in an Hour
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good short read, 15 May 2013
I downloaded this book wanting something to give a s short overview of the main events. It has enabled me to clearly map out some of the main events of World War One. As a consequence I have planned a trip to The Somme and will explore other aspects in more detail in the future.

Ladies Fancy Dress Grey Bun Wig Granny Style Party Wig
Ladies Fancy Dress Grey Bun Wig Granny Style Party Wig
Offered by Best Fancy Dress
Price: 2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, 15 May 2013
My wife needed this for a special event at work. She found it easy to put on and it put the finishing transformational touches to her outfit. When she entered the room her colleagues did not recognise her at first, then there were gasps of amazement as to how much older it made her look. Very good quality for the money.

No laughing matter
No laughing matter
Offered by rootsrecords
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and lively, 15 May 2013
This review is from: No laughing matter (Audio CD)
I first saw The Armpit Jug Band in the 1970's, while a student. I have been hoping to track down a CD version of their music for years. This one does not disappoint. Similar style to The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. A mixture of blues and jazz performed in a good quality light hearted style. If ever I am feeling a little jaded, this is one album to brighten me up. I recommend you give this album a try.

Over There War Scenes on the Western Front
Over There War Scenes on the Western Front
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful insight, 15 May 2013
I am about to visit some of the First World War sites. I downloaded this book with this in mind and have read it once. I shall take my Kindle with me and read the relevant sections again just before visiting some of these places to compare and contrast with what they are like today.

The Peak District: White Peak Area (OS Explorer Active Map OL24)
The Peak District: White Peak Area (OS Explorer Active Map OL24)
by Ordnance Survey
Edition: Map
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for outdoor walking, 15 May 2013
I am gradually replacing my paper maps with the active map versions. They are so much more robust and will work out cheaper in the long run. No need to bother putting it in a waterproof map case unless it is raining really hard. Clear and easy to use while out on the hills.

Page: 1 | 2