Profile for V. Carlin > Reviews

Content by V. Carlin

V. Carlin (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
New Limited Edition Trunki  Ride-On Suitcase: "Tipu" Tiger print
New Limited Edition Trunki Ride-On Suitcase: "Tipu" Tiger print

3.0 out of 5 stars Hate to be the spoilsport who gives the worst review!, 30 Aug. 2010
I bought this gorgeous trunki for my daughter (then 3) and she absolutely loved it. She played with it at home, and we took it abroad when we left the country for a year. At the airport, I filled it with all her favourite toys for use on the plane. It fastened securely and held tons. So far so good. And I really loved it, honestly.

But she wouldn't sit on it at the airport, and she wouldn't pull it. It was light enough for me to sling it over my shoulder, but that was all that I did with it. I love the idea, and it was really nice for her to have her own bag, but I'd rather she had something a bit softer and lighter if I'm to carry the flipping thing.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2011 4:17 PM BST

Dougal's Deepsea Diary (Book & CD)
Dougal's Deepsea Diary (Book & CD)
by Simon Bartram

5.0 out of 5 stars So brilliant!, 27 Aug. 2010
I picked up Bob's ABC and 123 for very little in TK Maxx and couldn't believe how great the pictures were and how much my kids (4 and 2) loved them. They both like fish like crazy, so when I saw Simon Bartram had written this, a deep sea counterpart, I had to buy it. My 4 year old daughter loves it so much, I've had to read it every night. It's funny, quirky, there's so much to spot and the pictures are gorgeous.

It's a Secret!
It's a Secret!
by John Burningham

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Burningham's best, 11 Jun. 2010
This review is from: It's a Secret! (Hardcover)
As a child some of my favourite books were John Burningham's simple square white 'The Dog', 'The Baby' etc books. As a parent I've really loved reading aloud the Mr Gumpy books, which my children love, and Aldo, which I adore but my daughter is a bit troubled by, she is fully alive to the subtext of parents who argue and bullying by other children, and it seems to make her very unhappy. I think it's brilliant.

To return to this book, it has all the joy of Burningham's optimistic books like Borka, but also some of his brilliant edge. Marie Elaine wonders where cats go at night, and is allowed to follow hers on an adventurous night. It has lots of detail that children love, like the children who go with the cat are given presents by the Queen of the Cats. The paintings are, I think, his loveliest, amazing use of colour in the night time scenes. There are several genuinely funny jokes. There's a lovely down to earth presentation of magic: Malcolm the cat says 'you have to get small', and so Marie Elaine 'got small', so she could fit through the catflap. No explanation. None needed.

My elder daughter most loved this when she had just turned 3, and she likes books a bit older than her age group. My younger daughter likes books a bit younger than her age group and at 2 doesn't have the attention span for it, so I would say 3-4 is best age. For parents who get a bit hoarse-throated reading books with lots of words (I'm looking at you, Borka!), this, refreshingly, has a few pages with lovely pictures and no words. Hurray!

Chick
Chick
by Ed Vere

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous to look at and play with, will be torn by tinies, 11 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Chick (Hardcover)
This is a really lovely and sweet and funny pop up by the brilliant Ed Vere. Tiny hands will destroy it pretty quickly, but it's so nice it's worth buying two.

Greedy [DVD]
Greedy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael J. Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Silly funny farce, classy cast, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Greedy [DVD] (DVD)
Cast includes Kirk Douglas and the phenomenally talented Phil Hartman, as well as Michael J Fox and Nancy Travis, who are always great in comedies. It's directed by Jonathan Lynn, who made My Cousin Vinny and a lot of Yes Ministers. This is what you'd call a black comedy, but it's actually just sweet and only nice things happen, with no trace of mawkishness or sentimentality.

Swatch Unisex Blue Choco Dark Brown Leather Strap Watch
Swatch Unisex Blue Choco Dark Brown Leather Strap Watch
Offered by uhrenwatch

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the picture, 13 Sept. 2009
The picture makes it look great - nice bold blue face and brown strap, but in real life the face is very very shiny and a less bright blue. It looks a bit tackier because of that. If it weren't so metallic and shiny it would be a lovely simple design and the colour choices are great, but they just chose the wrong backing, it looks like one of those cheap metal watches.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2012 12:36 PM BST

Catterick [DVD] [2004]
Catterick [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Morwenna Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST comedy serial ever made., 9 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Catterick [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
This is quirky, strange and totally brilliant. The characterisation is complex but charming and often moving, and it's a very funny show. I wish the BBC would let R&M do something else like this.

The Odd Egg
The Odd Egg
by Emily Gravett

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, beautifully illustrated., 26 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Odd Egg (Paperback)
I was amused by the review that objects to a male duck hatching an egg. The book is, I'd like to think, also a crafty little plea for the importance of fathers, single fathers, any fathers in a child's life. Duck is mocked by the smug egg-layers and finds happiness with his unusual adoption. But I don't want to make it sound weird and PC - this is just a very charming story with Gravett's gorgeous, sketchy drawings and lovely subtle colouring.

The Blanket
The Blanket
by John Burningham
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for the very young, 9 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Blanket (Board book)
This was my favourite book as a very young child. When I bought it for my daughter I couldn't believe that I remembered every word, more than 30 years after last reading it. I also used this series of books when I was learning to read, the words are big and few, and all are perfectly chosen. I'm not sure what it is about this simple story that so appealed to me, but my daughter is equally spellbound. It's not remotely dated. It's terrible and wrong that it's not in print now. Someone should fix that.

Baby
Baby

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book for sad little olde siblings, 9 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Baby (Board book)
I've bought so many books now to try to help my older child cope with her new baby sister. She hasn't warmed to any of them. The short John Burningham books were my favourites as a child but I didn't have this one. It's great. My daughter is very interested in the wonderfully plain text, it doesn't make promises or try to pretend the baby and she have something special between them, or try to glory in her aversion to the baby, as some of these books do in an attempt to 'understand' them. It just tells the truth.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10